• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Interactive Entertainment patent for a system allowing players leave in-game "text and voice" messages for others

Bartski

Gold Member
Recently published (07.01.2021) SIE patent describes in-game messages players can leave for each other in both single and multiplayer games.

HTjaN0X.jpg

The generation, association, and display of in-game tags are disclosed. Such tags introduce an additional dimension of community participation to both single and multiplayer games. Through such tags, players are empowered to communicate through filtered text messages and images as well as audio clips that other game players, including top rated players, have generated and placed at particular coordinates and/or in context of particular events within the game space. The presently described in-game tags and associated user generated content further allow for label based searches with respect to game play.

Full document here:

What do you think? Another upcoming PS5 community gaming feature? Can't imagine this to work unmoderated, I haven't read the whole document maybe there is more to it.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
but placed in the game world? I understand it's not restricted to your friends list, need to look deeper

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Can't you already leave text and voice messages to friends on PSN?
The patent seems to indicate in games clues and message kinde like in the souls games but on a system level.

It seems like a continuation of the hint feature on the console but user generated.

Bartski

Gold Member
The patent seems to indicate in games clues and message kinde like in the souls games but on a system level.

It seems like a continuation of the hint feature on the console but user generated.
yeah but no preset restrictions like Dark Souls and also, voice. 2021 next-gen trolling

Tarkus98

This could be pretty useful if implemented properly in-game/at system level. I like the possibility of being able to draw something pre-game, then placing it on screen for other team mates to reference. I just wonder if things like that can be filtered so only selected gamers can see it on the screen. Looking forward to seeing how this all shakes out.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Great can't wait to play a game with the kids. Then touching a help box. And hearing the N word getting blasted on my surround system.

Last edited:
If it's anything like old Destiny 1 raids with randoms, someone will be playing music, another will be eating, and at least one will be yelling at their wife/gf/kids.

Seems like a cool idea but they're going to have to implement some heavy restrictions.

ZehDon

So, Dark Souls messaging, but on a platform level. As long as there is a way to permanently disable the "feature", seems harmless, if ultimately pointless.

sublimit

Banned
yeah but no preset restrictions like Dark Souls and also, voice. 2021 next-gen trolling
Yeah but at least Souls message system forced people to be a bit creative. The "try holding with both hands" outside Gwynevere's chamber was very helpful.

Top Bottom