• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony introduces "Smart As...." for PSVita

Nakiro

It is created to be used with touch screen and gyro etc.. That is why it is only made for the Vita. This is also more of a handheld type of game, not sure that it would do much on the PS3, and the PSP is "dead".

I'll be surprised if this is a retail game. My guess is that it is a PSN-only game, maybe priced between $5 or $10.
It's a full fledged game, check the blog post. They answer some questions in the comment section.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...next-gen-brain-training-to-ps-vita-this-fall/

CrisKre

MetalMurphy beat me to the punch with that video.

As tech advances many new and fitting implementations sprout throughout the industry. We dont have access to nintendos R&D, so it might be very plausible such experiments where taking place as well.

You linking to an old obscure video doesn´t change the fact that Sony a- didn´t have the vision or b- coundn´t figure out how to market the tech before Wii became a giant success.

See the final form of the move product. The business model and implementation came as a result of Wii being market leader.

Making a game in a long-standing genre is one thing. Taking a relatively new genre that has seen great success this gen because of one distinct series and making an obvious copycat of that series is another thing.

So, erm, how does a genre become longstanding if nobody is allowed to iterate on it freely? lol

test_account

XP-39C²
It's a full retail release, so it'll be PSN + retail.
Really? That surprises me, that it is a retail title. Seems like a cheaper PSN game going by the trailer. It only shows a handful of minigames though, but still.

It's a full fledged game, check the blog post. They answer some questions in the comment section.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...next-gen-brain-training-to-ps-vita-this-fall/
Thanks. That surprises me, judging by the trailer i would think it was a PSN title only.

WTF? So now Move is equal to a ball with a stick. Nice.

Take care when you go to the market. Don't buy a carton of wine instead of a carton of milk.

What? The move IS a stick with a ball, and the principle of how it works is exactly the same as what's in that video. It's the final version of what you are seeing there.

Kyon

Banned
can't wait! love games like this

EDIT: Do Nintendo fans forget Move was shown in 02-03? what kind of delusion... when was the Wii shown again? like 04-05? k

As tech advances many new and fitting implementations sprout throughout the industry. We dont have access to nintendos R&D, so it might be very plausible such experiments where taking place as well.

You linking to an old obscure video doesn´t change the fact that Sony a- didn´t have the vision or b- coundn´t figure out how to market the tech before Wii became a giant success.

See the final form of the move product. The business model and implementation came as a result of Wii being market leader.

Not to mention the 3+ years worth of Sony Execs like Howard Stringer dismissing the Wii as niche products that will bomb.

CrisKre

People do realise this entire industry is built around borrowing and iteration of ideas right? How many games coming out this year are truly unique?

There is a bit of a difference with the sharing of ideas that is norm with the industry in most cases and these examples of ¨sharing of ideas¨ that sony seems to be doing of nintendo´s products lately.

Indyana

What? The move IS a ball with stick, and the principle of how it works is exactly the same as what's in that video. It's the final version of what you are seeing there.

No, it is not the same. Move uses the motion sensors. In that video there is no motion sensor.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Just because most DS fans are a really young bunch born in the 90s and experienced most "casual" games on the DS and Wii doesn't mean they weren't done before, or weren't popular before.

Its like saying Apple invented games like Angry Birds because they made them popular and now only they can make games like that. Anyone who tries to make a similar game is a filthy copycat and should hang their head in shame! :\

Nintendo has "copied" a lot of PC casual games, and just because they weren't "as popular" doesn't mean they get a free pass.

KillGore

WTF? So now Move is equal to a ball with a stick. Nice.

Take care when you go to the market. Don't buy a carton of wine instead of a carton of milk.

They were the first to show off the concept of using an object similar to the wii remote/move controller to control objects on screen. You simply can't go blind about this, and you can't deny that this concept is what eventually transformed into the wii remote and move controller, the only exception being the IR pointer in the wii remote and gyros (which already existed on PS2 third party controllers)

On GAF-land they did, they also invented electricity, which Sony stole as well.

I actually LOL'ed at this. QFT. All the All-Stars Battle Royale haters need to shove it. This looks fun. I never hated on Brain Age or w/e it was called, this looks like more of an enhancement on that formula, it looks pretty engaging so I wanna get it for my VITA.

No it is not the same. Move uses the motion sensors. In that video there is no motion sensor.

Move uses the motion sensors for extra detection as far as tilting goes, actual X Y position as well as Z depth is done by the camera and the size of the ball that's being captured, exactly the same as that video. FYI Nintendo didn't invent acceleration and tilting sensors in a controller either.

slider

Whatever happens if someone is upset about "Sony copying Nintendo" they should relax cos clearly Smart As won't be anywhere near as successful as the Brain Age games.

DMeisterJ

Banned
What kind of thread? Has it all been about who was first to market with what? Jesus.

Edit:

Why is there discussion over the Move/WiiMote here?

Mxrz

Fans of a company that has not introduced a new IP since 2001 and uses the same franchises for 20 years cry about a company that introduces new IP's every year lack of innovation

Yeeeeah. You probably just stirred the nest more.

Its also getting really fucking old seeing the same people shit up every vita/sony thread. Every news thread seems to blister off into the usual bullshit.

They were the first to show off the concept of using an object similar to the wii remote/move controller to control objects on screen. You simply can't go blind about this, and you can't deny that this concept is what eventually transformed into the wii remote and move controller, the only exception being the IR pointer in the wii remote and gyros (which already existed on PS2 third party controllers)

Clones are made when companies see the success of a market leader that popularized the tech / games, and make derivatives of it.

It's irrelevant who made the tech / games first. The important part is who made the idea popular.

As a Nintendo fan, this literally makes me sick. Brain Age and Big Brain Academy are a staple of Nintendo, and it's not right for another company to basically copy and paste the game and call it their own. Hopefully Nintendo will sue or something, because this is so wrong.

Clones are made when companies see the success of a market leader who popularized the tech / games, and make derivatives of it.

It's irrelevant who made the tech first. The most important part is who made the idea popular.

It's not when your accusing someone of copying something even though they were working on it already.

Also through out history there has been cases of people/companies copying/making clones without the stuff being copied ever being successful, so I'm not sure what made you come up with that definition.

There is a bit of a difference with the sharing of ideas that is norm with the industry in most cases and these examples of ¨sharing of ideas¨ that sony seems to be doing of nintendo´s products lately.

Sure, the main difference being that this is Sony rather than a 3rd party publisher. You cant tell me this would have made it past a page of comments if it came from Activision.

Who actually cares, sony has plenty of other games that are bringing the new also.

Just because most DS fans are a really young bunch born in the 90s and experienced most "casual" games on the DS and Wii doesn't mean they weren't done before, or weren't popular before.

Its like saying Apple invented games like Angry Birds because they made them popular and now only they can make games like that. Anyone who tries to make a similar game is a filthy copycat and should hang their head in shame! :\

How popular were the PC based brain train games among casual audiences in the 90's?

I can't help but think you're coming at this all wrong. It's not about what came before, it's about who took a product and advertised/packaged it in a way that made it more desirable/interesting to the masses.

It's like the Sony wand or the MS wand, neither could market it to the masses, so they lost out on billions. Bringing up the fact that they did it years before Ninty is irrelevant.

It's not when your accusing someone of copying something even though they were working on it already.

Also through out history there has been cases of people copying/making clones without the stuff being copied ever being successful, so I'm not sure what made you come up with that definition.

The definition has always been in the industry. "GTA clone." "WoW clone." "COD clone." "Zelda clone." "Diablo clone." There are other examples of the idea of "clones."

RpgN

Clones are made when companies see the success of a market leader that popularized the tech / games, and make derivatives of it.

It's irrelevant who made the tech / games first. The important part is who made the idea popular.

So you're saying Eye Toy wasn't a big success on the PS2? I remember it being a HUGE thing in EU.

I find all of this spinning really funny.

Probably better to compare them with facebook apps that already do something similar. Nintendo is still apparently allergic to online, though, so Brain Age comments are always funny.
Well I don't use facebook so I couldn't compare. I did try some of the countless ones on iOS though. Don't know if they are a "social experience" (online) as well though, never cared about that kind of stuff in these games.

You know they really should have gone with Smart Ass and made it a You Don't Know Jack kind of game. I mean yeah Sony has Buzz! but those games aren't near the quality of YDKJ.
Now THAT is something I could get behind.

Fans of a company that has not introduced a new IP since 2001 and uses the same franchises for 20 years cry about a company that introduces new IP's every year lack of innovation
Not sure if serious...

Salvadora

Nintendo has "copied" a lot of PC casual games, and just because they weren't "as popular" doesn't mean they get a free pass.

Edit: Read it wrong.

CrisKre

Sure, the main difference being that this is Sony rather than a 3rd party publisher. You cant tell me this would have made it past a page of comments if it came from Activision.

Who actually cares, sony has plenty of other games that are bringing the new also.

so you agree.

jono51

Banned
tumblr_m0izxoB0w51qfczas.gif

What happened to imitation being the best form of flattery and all that, eh?

GopherD

As a Nintendo fan, this literally makes me sick. Brain Age and Big Brain Academy are a staple of Nintendo, and it's not right for another company to basically copy and paste the game and call it their own. Hopefully Nintendo will sue or something, because this is so wrong.

I cannot fathom how anyone gets to this state of mind. It is truly baffling.

Edit: oh, carry on then. And bravo good sir...

cyborg009

Banned

4/10 you used it too soon

I cannot fathom how anyone gets to this state of mind. It is truly baffling.

This from was when PSABR was announced someone said this
edit:beaten

Adr1an

I see what you did there.

RpgN

so you agree.

No, what's being said is, copycats existed for a long time, in every shape and form. Even your beloved Nintendo had a taste of it. Companies also innovate and bring new experiences, Sony not only copies, they also innovate with some of their games. Same can be said with Nintendo and Microsoft.

Get out of your dream land and overly passionate views of your favourite x company.

Agree with what? That Sony has decided to make a puzzle game in the same vain as brain training? Sure. The point is what does it matter?

Now we're getting somewhere in this discussion.

The point is that clones are lazy cash grabs, and will not even approach the same success as the genre definer.

CrisKre

He say that people only complain about this so much because it is Sony. So if that is what you're doing, only complaining about this because Sony did it, then he agree, yes.

Assuming again. I don´t usually respond well to copycatting. It obviously does not affect you so much. I respect that. Has nothing to do with Sony other that they are doing it. A lot. I don´t respect that.

I wouldn´t like it either if nintendo released Stranded with Nicholas Dryfuss as an Uncharted clone or something.

Misterhbk

Question for you bro, why do you care so much? If everything you're saying is true and all Sony is doing is copying everything Nintendo does, then they won't sell very much right? It's not like you bought move or have any interest in it so why do you care? Let those that do have interest be the ones commenting on the subject of move, and Sony's games.

Sure, you can give your opinion that Sony is the big bad copycat, but why the need to prove yourself? Like I said, in the end you aren't buying these products do I don't see why you even care.

No, what's being said is, copycats existed for a long time, in every shape and form. Even your beloved Nintendo had a taste of it. Companies also innovate and bring new experiences, Sony not only copies, they also innovate with some of their games. Same can be said with Nintendo and Microsoft.

Get out of your dream land and overly passionate views of your favourite x company.

Its almost as if Journey, gravity daze, Datura etc. dont exist right?

B.O.O.M

It's almost impossible to visit vita related threads at Gaf at times.

I mean this game was known from the very first day the device was revealed ffs. So what's next? Are we going to have this same drama when Nintendo Network comes out? OMG even the name is a copy!? - kind of thing?

Anyways I doubt Nintendo invented the genre and I also seriously doubt the Playstation fanbase (or even Sony) bank on this game that much. It's just an addition to the library for those who like games like these.

@crewnh: well done sir, Well done!

Top Bottom