• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Inzone M9 4K HDR 144Hz Gaming Monitor Now Available for Pre-Order

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
assets%2FAsset+Hierarchy%2FConsumer+Assets%2FTelevision%2FGaming%2FSDM-U27M90%2FProduct+Images%2F1-+220616+Gaming+DTC-1208x1053-1+M9.png

assets%2FAsset+Hierarchy%2FConsumer+Assets%2FTelevision%2FGaming%2FSDM-U27M90%2FProduct+Images%2F2-+220616+Gaming+DTC-1208x1053-4+M9.png

assets%2FAsset+Hierarchy%2FConsumer+Assets%2FTelevision%2FGaming%2FSDM-U27M90%2FProduct+Images%2F3-+220616+Gaming+DTC-1208x1053-5+M9.png

assets%2FAsset+Hierarchy%2FConsumer+Assets%2FTelevision%2FGaming%2FSDM-U27M90%2FProduct+Images%2F4-+220616+Gaming+DTC-1208x1053-7+M9.png

assets%2FAsset+Hierarchy%2FConsumer+Assets%2FTelevision%2FGaming%2FSDM-U27M90%2FProduct+Images%2F5-+220616+Gaming+DTC-1208x1053-10+M9.png

assets%2FAsset+Hierarchy%2FConsumer+Assets%2FTelevision%2FGaming%2FSDM-U27M90%2FProduct+Images%2F8-+220616+Gaming+DTC-1208x1053-9+M9.png

Specifications​

Display resolution (Pixels, H x V)​

SCREEN SIZE (DIAGONAL)​

27 in (68.4 cm)

Aspect Ratio​

16:9

PANEL TYPE​

IPS LCD

DISPLAY RESOLUTION (PIXELS, H X V)​

3840 x 2160

REFRESH RATE​

DisplayPort: 24–144 Hz, HDMI: 24–120 Hz

VARIABLE REFRESH RATE TECHNOLOGY​

Adaptive-Sync (VESA DP), NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible, Variable Refresh Rate (HDMI 2.1)

RESPONSE TIME​

1 ms (Faster Mode)

ALLM (AUTO LOW LATENCY MODE)​

Yes (HDMI 2.1)

BACKLIGHT TECHNOLOGY​

Full Array Local Dimming, Direct Lit LED

HDR (High Dynamic Range)​

HDR10, HLG

VESA DISPLAYHDR™​

DisplayHDR 600

BRIGHTNESS (TYPICAL)​

400 cd/m²

PEAK BRIGHTNESS (TYPICAL)​

600 cd/m²

STATIC CONTRAST RATIO (TYPICAL)​

1,000:1

DYNAMIC CONTRAST RATIO (TYPICAL)​

80,000:1

COLOUR GAMUT​

95%+ (DCI-P3 Coverage)

COLOUR SUPPORT​

1.07 Billion Colours

VIEWING ANGLE (H/V)​

178°

SCREEN COATING​

Anti-glare

LOW BLUE LIGHT​

Yes (TÜV Rheinland Certified)

FLICKER FREE​

Yes (TÜV Rheinland Certified)

Gaming features​

Picture modes​

Standard, FPS game, Cinema, Game 1, Game 2

BLACK EQUALIZER​

Yes

GAMING ASSIST​

Crosshair, Timer, Frame Rate Counter

Features for PlayStation5​

Auto HDR Tone Mapping​

Yes

Auto Genre Picture Mode​

Yes

Stand​

HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT RANGE​

70 mm

Tilt Range​

0–20 °

VESA HOLE PITCH (W X H)​

100 x 100 mm

Power​

Power Requirements​

100–240 V AC, 50/60 Hz

POWER CONSUMPTION (TYPICAL)​

139W

Power Consumption (Standby)​

0.5W

POWER CONSUMPTION (ECO MODE)​

28.9 W

User Interface​

ON-SCREEN MENU​

Yes (Control with 5-Way Joystick)

Display Language​

English/French/German/Italian/Japanese/Korean/Polish/Russian/Spanish/Turkish/Simplified Chinese/Traditional Chinese

PC SOFTWARE APPLICATION​

INZONE Hub, Colour Management (ICC)

REAR LIGHTING EFFECT​

Yes (13 colours)

Audio​

BUILT-IN SPEAKERS​

2 W x2

Dimensions and Weight​

DIMENSIONS WITH STAND (W X H X D)​

Approx. 61.5 x 47.9 x 24.8 cm

DIMENSIONS WITHOUT STAND (W X H X D)​

Approx. 61.5 x 36.3 x 7.3 cm

DIMENSIONS OF PACKAGE CARTON (W X H X D)​

Approx. 69.0 x 46.2 x 22.8 cm

WEIGHT WITH STAND​

Approx. 6.8 kg

WEIGHT WITHOUT STAND​

Approx. 4.6 kg

SHIPPING WEIGHT​

Approx. 10 kg

Connectivity​

Interfaces​

DisplayPort x1 (Ver. 1.4), HDMI x2 (Ver. 2.1), USB Type-C x1 (DP Alt Mode, Upstream), USB Type-B x1 (Upstream), USB Type-A x3 (Downstream), Headphone Output x1 (3.5 mm Jack)

features​

Auto KVM Switch (Auto USB Hub Switch), Control for HDMI (HDMI CEC), HDCP2.3

Quantum253

Maybe a potential for PS5 desktop gaming. Not sure with HDR 600 (which I keep hearing that gaming monitor HDR isn't that great, to begin with). Looks like the 144 would only be for desktop gamers "
DisplayPort: 24–144 Hz, HDMI: 24–120 Hz
"
But, I wouldn't expect more than 120hz from the PS5 to begin with.

JeloSWE

HDR 600. That's really weak for an LCD. Any decent LCD TV can do over 1000 nit for HDR, any less and it's barely noticeable.

Last edited:
Reactions: RNG

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
HDR 600. That's really weak for an LCD. Any decent LCD TV can do over 1000 nit for HDR, any less and it's barely noticeable.
They really don't exist in monitor form. This is the first non oled monitor to actually have competent hdr and under 1k.

JeloSWE

They really don't exist in monitor form. This is the first non oled monitor to actually have competent hdr and under 1k.
Monitors are unfortunately way behind the HDR curve. Being the first doesn't make it decent or excuse it. My TV can do 1700 nit and it's a good experience, I've seen onc that did over 2000 and that was great. When I've tested another model that did just shy of 1000 nit it was lackluster. Having only 600 nit is more a consumer check box than actually giving you a good experience.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
It does have some light zones so it might be good.
Still, lg c1 it’s about the same now and it’s oled with great speakers too which everyone overlooks
I'd say hold out and see if there's an awful panel lottery, see if Sony is serious about quality here first.

Reallink

I will never understand how anyone is dumb enough to pay near $1000+ for 27" LCD monitors with worse specs than bargain bin TV's. This is effectively the same price of a 55" G1 and a few hundred MORE than a 48" C1 (or 42" C2 in a few months) for a 1000:1 27" LCD with the zone count of bargain FALD LCD TV's from 3 years ago and worse color/white balance performance than a $20 Walmart Blackfriday Chinese Phone or Tablet. My brain can not comprehend how such a comically lopsided value comparison ever concludes with someone deciding to voluntarily rip themselves off. I understand many people hate "big" monitors (especially wannabe "pro gamers"), but have some convictions and don't support wanton grifting and gouging. Choose to buy nothing, or buy one of the $200-$300 bang for buck offerings if you absolutely have to have a monitor. You don't need a shitty approximation of HDR or 4K on a 27" display you're probably looking at from 3 feet way.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I will never understand how anyone is dumb enough to pay near $1000+ for 27" LCD monitors with worse specs than bargain bin TV's. This is effectively the same price of a 55" G1 and a few hundred MORE than a 48" C1 (or 42" C2 in a few months) for a 1000:1 27" LCD with the zone count of bargain FALD LCD TV's and worse color/white balance performance than a $20 Walmart Blackfriday Chinese Phone or Tablet. My brain can not comprehend how such a comically lopsided value comparison ever concludes will someone deciding to voluntarily rip themselves off. I understand many people hate "big" monitors (especially wannabe "pro gamers"), but have some convictions and don't support wanton grifting and gouging. Choose to buy nothing, or buy one of the $200-$300 bang for buck offerings if you absolutely have to have a monitor. You don't need a shitty HDR or 4K on a 27" display you're probably looking at from 3 feet way.
I own 2 of the LG 27GP950Bs on my desk with one hooked up to a gaming PC and my web surfing PC and the other hooked up to a PS5 and Series X that I linked above and couldn't be happier.

I tried the 48" C1 on my desk and it just wasn't for me

I am far from a "wannabe pro" its just what works for me

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
That stand is fugly and actually hurts the design. How do you fuck up something so simple.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Here in Denmark it's 9.999 DKK (1.369,66 USD)

Same price as the 32" Samsung Odyssey Neo G7...

43opneP.jpg

27" Vs. 32"

144Hz Vs. 165Hz

96-zone FALD Vs. 1196-zone FALD

HDR600 Vs. HDR2000

What are you doing Sony?

Season 1 Lol GIF by NBC
That atrocious curve though. Plus it has scanlines.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'd take curved for all the other benefits any day.
That's cool. If it were a slight curve I wouldn't care but that shit is curvier then kat dennings. No go for me. I'll either break and get the 42 inch OLED or wait till they make 32 inches. Someday.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
That's cool. If it were a slight curve I wouldn't care but that shit is curvier then kat dennings. No go for me. I'll either break and get the 42 inch OLED or wait till they make 32 inches. Someday.
Me too. Next year there will be some awesome 32" to choose from.

If I were to buy one of these monitors right now - the G7 is a clear winner.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I like curved displays as well as my main “serious” pc gaming display on my other desk is an X35 Predator but it’s curve is pretty slight
I need flat IPS displays for work and I've tried gaming on a friends 35" curved monitor and it wasn't for me - but that was also extremely curved. If it's a slight/subtle curve I could maybe get used to it. That G7 is too curved for me tho'.

dotnotbot

Here in Denmark it's 9.999 DKK (1.369,66 USD)

Same price as the 32" Samsung Odyssey Neo G7...

43opneP.jpg

27" Vs. 32"

144Hz Vs. 165Hz

96-zone FALD Vs. 1196-zone FALD

HDR600 Vs. HDR2000

What are you doing Sony?

Season 1 Lol GIF by NBC

A small detail but HDR600 on Sony is VESA certified while HDR2000 is taken from Samsung's ass, it can't do more than 1100 nits. Still it's significantly brighter than Sony.

One important area where Sony could pull ahead is EOTF tracking, it looks atrocious on G7.
eotf-small.jpg

Horrible crushing of darker details and overbrightening everything above. Kinda ruins all the effort they put into making good mini-led system.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
A small detail but HDR600 on Sony is VESA certified while HDR2000 is taken from Samsung's ass, it can't do more than 1100 nits. Still it's significantly brighter than Sony.

One important area where Sony could pull ahead is EOTF tracking, it looks atrocious on G7.
eotf-small.jpg

Horrible crushing of darker details and overbrightening everything above. Kinda ruins all the effort they put into making good mini-led system.
Neo G7:
flAGUwV.jpg

SqyRaPX.png

M9:
x8SOCQV.png

zuxev2T.png

dotnotbot

Neo G7:
flAGUwV.jpg

SqyRaPX.png

M9:
x8SOCQV.png

zuxev2T.png
I trust rtings measurements more since they measure on a non-standard window sizes and Samsung was caught cheating when measured according to industry standards (they did that for years with their TVs, it's not just the S95B).. So it may be the same case here, Samsung has great EOTF tracking on 10% window and then it all goes wild in real content.

Unfortunately, the EOTF doesn't follow the target PQ curve well as it crushes blacks and over-brightens brighter details. There's also a sharp cut-off at the peak brightness, causing a loss of fine details in bright scenes.

G8 with the the same curve:

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I trust rtings measurements more since they measure on a non-standard window sizes and Samsung was caught cheating when measured according to industry standards (they did that for years with their TVs, it's not just the S95B).. So it may be the same case here, Samsung has great EOTF tracking on 10% window and then it all goes wild in real content.

G8 with the the same curve:
I'm not fond of rtings - they seem to have some issues with their tools/measurements.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
At the same time they were the only ones to spot EOTF cheating on Samsung S95B except HDTVTest
Hardware Unboxed never tested that TV. Tim Schiesser isn't praising Samsung because they're manipulating numbers - he knows that - and that's why I trust him when reviewing Samsung products.

//DEVIL//

Just to think I bought the same monitor 4k 144 IPS 27 Asus ROG used for 500$ CAD ( 350$? US) . With Gsync compatible and free sync2 premium or whatever it's called

Not HDR though (not that I care)

I do like the design though .. specially since I have a white setup. But no way I am paying any cent to get the same monitor . I would rather paint mine white lol 🤣

Last edited:

Reallink

At the same time they were the only ones to spot EOTF cheating on Samsung S95B except HDTVTest

I have no issues with RTing, but in this particular instance they didn't spot or catch anything. They reviewed the S95B a month after Vincent's initial posts on the issue. Thousands of people had already told them to check for it before they even recieved or opened their unit.

daveonezero

Banned
Smaller displays are just hard to get cheap aren’t they.

This is crazy expensive for the features.

Just to think I bought the same monitor 4k 144 IPS 27 Asus ROG used for 500$ CAD ( 350$? US) . With Gsync compatible and free sync2 premium or whatever it's called

Not HDR though (not that I care)

I do like the design though .. specially since I have a white setup. But no way I am paying any cent to get the same monitor . I would rather paint mine white lol
🤣
It isn’t even that great of hdr. It can barely be called that.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

I have no issues with RTing, but in this particular instance they didn't spot or catch anything. They reviewed the S95B a month after Vincent's initial posts on the issue. Thousands of people had already told them to check for it before they even recieved or opened their unit.

My point was that their measurements were fool-proof enough to show that, not that they were first or anything. They reported the same issue with other Samsung TVs in the past, it's not like they readjusted their testing methodology after Vincent's report.

Minus the bizarre monitor stand, a decent option for the feature set, but still feels like it's 6-12 months behind the competition and will be stuck overcharging while the others are liquidating their inventory.

BRAVIA was/is the same way (and still charged 5%-10% higher MSRP), albeit I stopped paying attention about 4-5 years ago.

TheShocker

I was looking at this amongst several other 27-32in monitors. I currently have a 55in LG CX which I absolutely love. IQ is second to none, but size wise it’s a little too big for the area I’m looking to game in.

I was wanting to have a space upstairs to game on from time to time and a smaller form monitor seems to be the best option.

I’d leave the CX in the basement and still use that. This would be for console gaming only. I don’t have a PC.

Was also looking at the Samsung GA70 and the LG 950B.

The M9 seems a little pricey compared to the other two, which on paper perform similarly.

iHaunter

Maybe a potential for PS5 desktop gaming. Not sure with HDR 600 (which I keep hearing that gaming monitor HDR isn't that great, to begin with). Looks like the 144 would only be for desktop gamers "

"
But, I wouldn't expect more than 120hz from the PS5 to begin with.
HDR is technically not possible to properly produce unless you have 1,000 nits anyway.

Quantum253

HDR is technically not possible to properly produce unless you have 1,000 nits anyway.
That's what I hear. Outside of a flashy selling point, is it a lower peak brightness since generally you sit closer to a monitor than a TV? I can imagine staring at a display w/ 1,000+ NIT brightness would hurt the eyes after awhile

4K need to be 32" .

And as others already mentioned at that price much rather get the new superior tech in QD-OLED. Like the Dell's AW3423DW . Or if you still don't have OLED TV and want something for both your new consoles and PC then 42" C2 while still too large for comfort, if mounted further back will be fine when you only game or watch movies in the dark.

TheShocker

Got my set yesterday. Hookup was easy. Got my PS5 connected, again easy.

Then came display set up. Not easy. The PS5 auto detects and auto tone maps which is cool. The problem is that having HDR enabled locked you out of all other picture settings. It also seemed to lock on eco mode, so the picture was extremely dim. Looked around online and found a few others complaining about this issue as well. Doesn’t seem to be an immediate fix other than disabling HDR at the console level.

Pretty disappointed overall. Unless a significant fix is found before the return date, this thing is going back.

Top Bottom