• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Is Being Defensive With The PS5 – And That Is A Smart Move

ethomaz

Banned
Your quote is messed I guess...
There is no evidence for 9TFs.
All insiders including reliable guys in the industry says it is both over 10TFs.

You will say but there is GitHub... well the GitHub itself goes against 9TFs because it is a impossible configuration... what GitHub shows is that there is a test chip with sub 8TFs power.

So you can believe in a 8TFs PS5 if you wish... or believe in insiders with 11-12TFs machine like the Kotaku guy.

Funny enough more than one dev said the PS5 devkit perform better than Xbox One Series X devkit... how do you make a 8TFs machine perform better than a 12TFs machine is out of my mind.

Last edited:
Why would they let negative press circulate? It’s not a good strategy
The PR reality for Playstation is quite different than Xbox. Sure, people get frustrated but watch what happens when they finally drop specs and info. All will be forgotten. That is the rewards of being in the console business for far longer and creating a customer base that will damn near buy anything with Sony or Playstation on it.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
3q9sim.jpg

Because now I'm curious where I can buy a ticket to go back and forth in time.
12TF + RDNA2 is rather specific, even for me that's been following this shit thoroughly since 2017.
See date: December prediction vs. February reveal...

I've been saying 12 TF and RDNA2 since E3, when AMD talked about next-gen RDNA and a special relationship with Microsoft for their next console, while they just said "we are building something special with our friends at Sony based on our RDNA architecture". Back then you could read between the lines and hear that AMD was talking about different relationships, not just consoles. Does that make me an insider, because I called it six months before Tommy Fisher based on Reddit leak in January and AMD talk in June? Of course not, just means I can count 1+1. Same way I can do it for Sony, which will be 9.2 TF on RDNA 1.5 with a secondary raytracing chip based on LocalRay that uses dedicated memory for raytracing.

12 GB GDDR6 on the APU and 4 GB GDDR6 on the raytracing chip, that can be used in games if raytracing is not enabled. Also final design will be close to devkit design.

And no, not an insider. Just able to put puzzle pieces together.

darkinstinct

There is no evidence for 9TFs.
All insiders including reliable guys in the industry says it is both over 10TFs.

You will say but there is GitHub... well the GitHub itself goes against 9TFs because it is a impossible configuration... what GitHub shows is that there is a test chip with sub 8TFs power.

So you can believe in a 8TFs PS5 if you wish... or believe in insiders with 11-12TFs machine like the Kotaku guy.
VFX is vetted here and says he heard from Sony devs that it is 9.2 and Xbox is more powerful and the memory setup for PS5 is different. Saying "all insiders" is BS, you just mean all the insiders that say what you want to hear.

MilkyJoe

I've been saying 12 TF and RDNA2 since E3, when AMD talked about next-gen RDNA and a special relationship with Microsoft for their next console, while they just said "we are building something special with our friends at Sony based on our RDNA architecture". Back then you could read between the lines and hear that AMD was talking about different relationships, not just consoles. Does that make me an insider, because I called it six months before Tommy Fisher based on Reddit leak in January and AMD talk in June? Of course not, just means I can count 1+1. Same way I can do it for Sony, which will be 9.2 TF on RDNA 1.5 with a secondary raytracing chip based on LocalRay that uses dedicated memory for raytracing.

12 GB GDDR6 on the APU and 4 GB GDDR6 on the raytracing chip, that can be used in games if raytracing is not enabled. Also final design will be close to devkit design.

And no, not an insider. Just able to put puzzle pieces together.

PS5 Rdna 1 will be the end of the purple site of nonces.

ethomaz

Banned
VFX is vetted here and says he heard from Sony devs that it is 9.2 and Xbox is more powerful and the memory setup for PS5 is different. Saying "all insiders" is BS, you just mean all the insiders that say what you want to hear.
Or maybe you are looking at a guy with clear agenda that already got wrong the Xbox Series X config lol

You know the official MS specs already eliminate VFX from the insider pool.

If you will keep “insiders” that already got half info incorrect then we have nothing to talk about anymore.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

Or maybe you are looking at a guy with clear agenda that already got wrong the Xbox Series X config lol

You know the official MS specs already eliminate VFX from the insider pool.

If you will keep “insiders” that already got half info incorrect then we have nothing to talk about anymore.
He hasn't claimed anything regarding Xbox.

wintersouls

Sony starts with a huge advantage with this generation. They still have two of the most powerful games of the TLOU 2 and Ghost of Tsushima generation for this year, they have the year covered and they are not in a hurry. I would do the same if I were a company.

ethomaz

Banned
He hasn't claimed anything regarding Xbox.
He did and wrong.

We need to keep only the insiders that said Series X around/over 12TFs and all of them put PS5 at the same “level”.

Like I said if you want to keep a insider that already got half info wrong then we have nothing to talk about anymore.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
I've been saying 12 TF and RDNA2 since E3
Strangely we never came across each other in all that time as I said the same last year when Phil showed up at AMD's (1st) presser.
Either way I'm not here to convince anyone, who people want to believe or don't is up to them and with that we can end of this discussion.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Yeah 80 million Xbox 360s and 50 million Xbox ones and Gamepass aren’t competition. Gamepass beating the snot out of PSNow forcing them to cut the price substantially is no completion.

You feel so threatened it’s amazing. The fear is palpable.
A simple logo where they change a "4" to a "5" gets more attention than the reveal of a next-gen system.

Let that sink in...

Is there an "insider" scoreboard thread? If not, it would be glorious. Should be pinned with consequences of perm IP bans from staff laid out for the losers. Have everyone that had claimed to be in the know on a poll of "who is your insider" and everyone could vote and get to see who is left standing. I bet no one. Lol.

Sony starts with a huge advantage with this generation. They still have two of the most powerful games of the TLOU 2 and Ghost of Tsushima generation for this year, they have the year covered and they are not in a hurry. I would do the same if I were a company.
TLOU2 yes, but can we really use Tshushima as "one of the most powerful"? it isn't a proven IP, I would think God of War would hold that spot before them.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
One insider can be less credible than the other. I wouldn't put them on the same level just because they have been verified. I'll use the NBA as an example. Woj's info is more reliable than a guy like Stephen A Smith, even though they both have deep connections within the industry. More people are inclined to believe Woj instead of Smith because Woj's information and sources have proven to be far more reliable.

Jason Schreier is probably more connected than Klee, VFX, BG etc. and he's stating that both are similar in power. Can't really put all of them on the same playing field just because they have been verified. I also believe that many Xbox insiders have connections within the Xbox camp and are completely left in the dark when it comes to what Sony is doing.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
A simple logo where they change a "4" to a "5" gets more attention than the reveal of a next-gen system.

Let that sink in...
I seen one thread here about the logo and a lot of Xbox threads about the reveal and even a Sony thread about the Xbox reveal lol

Bolivar687

Banned
Sony wasn't expecting to have a power advantage over Microsoft until the Series X specs were disclosed, so they're biding their time to make sure to maximize the impact that the Round 1 KO has throughout the industry.

Vawn

Banned
Nintendo! They shipped over 167 million units of 1st party games under 3 years for Switch and the only console with platform exclusive with 97 metascore.

Nintendo has fantastic first-party games, but they don't have third-party AAA games to go with it.

I'll always own Nintendo consoles. PlayStation too. I just hope Xbox can give me some reasons to own an Xbox as well. It has been a rough 10 or so years for them.

stitch1

What's interesting to me is Microsoft is already giving us a lot of details like what the box looks like what most of the specs are and so on. So this opens up a lot of time for their next stage presence to focus on games games games. I really hope that is the case.

Sony is being silent on everything. So they still need to show off everything and then hopefully they come with the games at lunch as well. I also hope they do the free update deal like Xbox so I don't have to buy The Last of Us 2 twice like I did last gen.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I disagreed with mods reply because it was bullshit and asked in PM to be banned. No point in arguing with the people that run the site. Their rules, biased towards certain topics or not. They didnt want to ban me so blame them. I was told to stay in xbox threads. I've done my part. How about they usher TLW to only Sony threads? 🤔

Also, it's easy to just pass misinformation about people as truths and most in passing will believe it. Haven't console war in quite some time. Doesn't change the fact that my response to TLW was completely accurate.

You seriously live in your own fucking world, lol. So devoid of introspection that it is quite scary.

Dural

There is no 9TFs machine... even the Github “leak” is an impossible configuration.

How is the configuration impossible? A 36 CU Navi GPU running at 2ghz is impossible?

...and I don't believe for a sec that PS5 is less than 10TF. IMO, it is an attempt to recreate "bombs" of 2013 by letting people believe it'll be 9tf and then come out and announce 12tf and look the hero role that they did it for their players. Only reason ps5 wouldn't be equal or greater than 12tf will be due to a pricing concern. Cerny already said "premium". That spells $499 ~ 12tf. I hope it turns out this way so the spec wars can fizzle. Would be great to see 2 beasts at their best in hardware.

This doesn't make any sense, the GitHub leak was from datamining and figuring out amd product codes. The 2013 "bomb" was a lucky break with the density of GDDR5 memory doubling allowing them to double the ram for next to nothing, they had planned all along to have 4GB. You can't do the same with silicon, it has to go through extensive testing as the GitHub leak has shown. Even if a node shrink suddenly was viable unexpectedly, they would have to go with the silicon they have or wait a year to redesign and test it. Why would there be a piece of silicon that is being tested with cut down clock rates and CUs at the exact configurations of PS4 and PS4Pro this late in the game if it wasn't going to be used? To somehow throw MS off?

They could, theoretically, increase the clock rate like MS did at the last minute to try and squeeze some more performance out of it. The problem there is that the GitHub leak has it running at 2ghz for the 9.2tf, you're not going to get much higher than that without some extensive modifications.

leo-j

i think they aren’t just waiting for Xbox to show it’s hand but also still pushing the ps4 / pro agenda.
FF VII
LAST OF US 2
GHOST OF TSHUSHIMA

are still coming and I’m sure they wanna push to 120 million sooner than not. Talking about ps5 more and more will make people not want to buy the current dominant product. They had no issue talking about ps4 during ps3 since they weren’t the market leader the and they probably wanted to stop selling ps3 anyway since it was so expensive to make even at end of generation.

Zoro7

Banned
I honestly dont give a toss about specs. The switch is probably my most used console at this point.
But I am going to have a great time if the PS5 is more powerful than the XSX. Just to see the suffering on this forum. Gonna be brill.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
i think they aren’t just waiting for Xbox to show it’s hand but also still pushing the ps4 / pro agenda.
FF VII
LAST OF US 2
GHOST OF TSHUSHIMA

are still coming and I’m sure they wanna push to 120 million sooner than not. Talking about ps5 more and more will make people not want to buy the current dominant product. They had no issue talking about ps4 during ps3 since they weren’t the market leader the and they probably wanted to stop selling ps3 anyway since it was so expensive to make even at end of generation.
By your comment it would make sense that you would have to buy TLOU2 on PS4 and ps5 if they are worried about selling that on PS4. One of the great things about how the next Xbox is setup
Is that they can still push the games now and they will still be playable and getting Xs patches when you buy the game’s now. That’s allowing the hype to build and still keeping a consumer friendly approach

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I honestly dont give a toss about specs. The switch is probably my most used console at this point.
But I am going to have a great time if the PS5 is more powerful than the XSX. Just to see the suffering on this forum. Gonna be brill.
It won't be. Watching you spin that 9.2tf and hugging your Switch for comfort will be entertaining though.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
And will you have equally a good time if the ps5 isn’t as powerful as the Xs?

DrAspirino

Banned
This is a business that has cultivated the strongest console gaming brand in history – they know what they are doing, as much as fanboys on the internet want to see their latest and greatest creation now.
Oh wait...let me introduce this "journalist" a couple of brands even stronger than "Playstation": Nintendo and Atari.

If Nintendo (the strongest of those two) was on the brink of bankrupcy during the Wii-U era (executives reducing their salaries to not fire more people), and Atari - a leviathan of a brand - did go bankrupt because of bad business decissions, the Playstation branch could easily go bankrupt if they make bad business choices or the competition goes nuts.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Go to instagram for example.

There even was a topic about it on gaf iirc, since you want to go by gaf. 😉
Yes but more topics about the new Xbox as you can see.

The reason the ps5 logo was talked about so much is what else is there to say?? 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

No actual news on the console so you guys gotta talk about something eh?

How many artiles are we going to get saying because of XX reason sony won. That would be like coming last in a race and saying well the person who came in last is actually the winner for xx reason its stupid. Being slinecen means only two things your over confeident in what your about to show and it will be a hall mark in what ever it is that gets unveiled or you have nothing to show and what your about to show is going to be a laughing stock. Im going with the former with sony when you have them going on about SSDS,Bio temp controllers, And aimg for 240FPS at 4k in Grand turismo theres a problem. All the games they have shown look awful another DE/anthem clone and Godfall another looter shooter with MTX. As far as I see it sony is a western company now and most western devs cant do anything to make gameplay so they have to lean on power exciting the only things they excelled in is graphic fidelity and presentation. I would say sony could fall back and rely on jp 1st 2nd and 3rd party devs if there console is underpower "which is what it looks like" but they pretty much burnt every bridge in the last past 2 years so good luck.

SleepDoctor

Banned

Oh you mean exactly how you been suffering since yesterday??? Lol

stitch1

FF VII
LAST OF US 2
GHOST OF TSHUSHIMA

I'm not buying any of these games until they announce I won't have to buy them twice. I can wait. I would rather see them in all their glory next gen.

Psykodad

Banned
Yes but more topics about the new Xbox as you can see.

The reason the ps5 logo was talked about so much is what else is there to say?? 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

No actual news on the console so you guys gotta talk about something eh?
It's mostly a handfull of the same gaffers making a thread for every single thing related to XSX, so yeah, there's more Xbox threads atm.

Not hard to do.
That's like bragging about being ahead in a race you started running by yourself.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
By your comment it would make sense that you would have to buy TLOU2 on PS4 and ps5 if they are worried about selling that on PS4. One of the great things about how the next Xbox is setup
Is that they can still push the games now and they will still be playable and getting Xs patches when you buy the game’s now. That’s allowing the hype to build and still keeping a consumer friendly approach
Am I living in an alternate universe where Sony didn't introduce cross-buy 8 years ago?

In either case, I am curious how they will handle physical discs i.e if you buy the Xbox One / PS4 version of Cyberpunk 2077 and put that disc into your next-gen system, will it be patched to run like the next-gen port or... what?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Am I living in an alternate universe where Sony didn't introduce cross-buy 8 years ago?

In either case, I am curious how they will handle physical discs i.e if you buy the Xbox One / PS4 version of Cyberpunk 2077 and put that disc into your next-gen system, will it be patched to run like the next-gen port or... what?
Am pretty sure that they said it can be patched later on? Maybe wrong though

phil_t98

#SonyToo
It's mostly a handfull of the same gaffers making a thread for every single thing related to XSX, so yeah, there's more Xbox threads atm.

Not hard to do.
That's like bragging about being ahead in a race you started running by yourself.
Not the same gaffers at all. End of the day Sony need to start talking about the ps5 soon. We need both to be strong and push each other so us gamers benift

stitch1

I'm pretty sure its going to work the same way it does now on 360 games on the Xbox One. You put the game in, it downloads all the updated stuff, you play the game.

Psykodad

Banned
Not the same gaffers at all. End of the day Sony need to start talking about the ps5 soon. We need both to be strong and push each other so us gamers benift
Not gonna argue with that.

It's not like my patience isn't running low. Lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom