• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is being very sneaky and untransparent with the way they’re handling PC ports

LucidFlux

I don't understand the big hoopla over this. It's clear they aren't putting new games out on PC the same time they come to PS platforms as they still want folks in their ecosystem. This is meant to get PC players interested in PS, and get extra sales on games that have fallen off.

Stop worrying about how much of a special snowflake X game on X system is and instead just buy and play games where you want to and where they are available now.

Markio128

Great post.

They should be afraid. I am not buying ps5 now that i know "exclusive" games are coming to pc. I was intentent on only ps5 only. Now i have a pc.

Its the non existant legacy support and bc and that fact games are coming pc.

And its even worse if it is like some neogaf insider is hinting at. That all games now are made as multiplatform games. And not bespoke. Then there is zero interest in owning a ps5.
I think the millions of people currently trying to buy a PS5 believe otherwise.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
On the scale of, the sky is falling to Stadia is the only way to game future... how concerned should I be in this honeypot?
Hungry Shopping GIF

Last edited:
Exactly, Sony has no stake in PC's.... they don't even make laptops anymore.
PC is only a competing platform and they are giving away one of their strongest selling points.

Consider this:

PC doesn't have to be a competing platform for Sony. It's an open platform where any developer can exist. Sony can make it their platform just as easily as anyone else has. It would actually be easier as they already have a fanbase.

For years people have been playing Sony's games on PC for free through emulators and Sony has been left holding their dick in their hand with no real way to prevent it. If Sony opened up a Playstation front end similar to Steam, GOG, Microsoft, Origin, Uplay, etc, they could put those exact same games up officially and make money off them hand over fist. Just like the others you would require a PSN account and just like the others you'd always see games on the store ready to purchase. They would rake in a ton of money. As it is they're just leaving money on the table completely missing out on people that aren't interested in the PS5. For many the PC itself is enough, others have a Switch to complement it, etc. So if they aren't going to sell those people a PS5 shouldn't they at least try to sell them some of the software they make the most money on?

Sure I can get the game files off sketchy emulator rom sites (until they get shut down) for free and find ways to get them working, but a lot of people would be happy to pay money to not have to do the work and have the company that made them in the first place offer them working perfectly out of the gate.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I think Sony is in a position that they absolutely need to sell their hardware. MS is huge in the PC market also, they have a strategy that revolves around getting people to sub into their ecosystem. This is why Sony believes in selling games for full whack and MS puts their exclusives day one on a service you can also play on PC.

Sony is more traditional in their approach. And they don't have a PC operate system or anything. They have their Playstation products they need to sell.

You can also appreciate that some of these games are at least coming. Where is Breath of the Wild on Steam? Yeah sure, you can emulate it, but Nintendo doesn't bring their premier exclusives to PC like at all. Sony seems to do it now and then, though more than in the past where it was none. MS has it as part of its business model.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Microsoft can offer PC/console parity because Microsoft owns both. If you buy an Xbox game for PC, who gets paid? Microsoft.

There's no difference! MS don't license software for Windows, its an open platform allowing other companies and storefronts to monetize it any way that they choose.

Yes, MS charges corporate clients for Windows but to normal end users its basically free thanks to their ultra-lax administration of the upgrade system. So its not like its even a means to sell their OS's.

Bryank75

Banned
Consider this:

PC doesn't have to be a competing platform for Sony. It's an open platform where any developer can exist. Sony can make it their platform just as easily as anyone else has. It would actually be easier as they already have a fanbase.

For years people have been playing Sony's games on PC for free through emulators and Sony has been left holding their dick in their hand with no real way to prevent it. If Sony opened up a Playstation front end similar to Steam, GOG, Microsoft, Origin, Uplay, etc, they could put those exact same games up officially and make money off them hand over fist. Just like the others you would require a PSN account and just like the others you'd always see games on the store ready to purchase. They would rake in a ton of money. As it is they're just leaving money on the table completely missing out on people that aren't interested in the PS5. For many the PC itself is enough, others have a Switch to complement it, etc. So if they aren't going to sell those people a PS5 shouldn't they at least try to sell them some of the software they make the most money on?

Sure I can get the game files off sketchy emulator rom sites (until they get shut down) for free and find ways to get them working, but a lot of people would be happy to pay money to not have to do the work and have the company that made them in the first place offer them working perfectly out of the gate.
I'm of the strict mind that Sony should focus on only increasing the size of PlayStations install base, they should have invested in buying a publisher like Capcom to win back Japan from Nintendo, which is a bigger competitor than XBox.

They should not be giving an inch.

They should be building PlayStation up to be the most necessary and unavoidable gaming purchase. Not conceding ground to whining bitches online that constantly ask for ports.... they are not customers.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
There's no difference! MS don't license software for Windows, its an open platform allowing other companies and storefronts to monetize it any way that they choose.

Yes, MS charges corporate clients for Windows but to normal end users its basically free thanks to their ultra-lax administration of the upgrade system. So its not like its even a means to sell their OS's.
So, you think Microsoft makes zero dollars from Windows? What?

THEAP99

Banned
I agree with u 100 percent. They keep doing this drip-feed nonsense. Like dude just all in or don't do anything. Whenever a game is announced, be upfront and announce if it's coming to pc right away. Don't try to rickroll people to get them to double dip. Also while you're at it, create a playstation launcher on pc so i can use my psn account and game purchases.

Esppiral

Their strategy just works.
Gran turismo and GoW will be 2022 releases among others, and many of their 1st party will end up on PC, just like Xbox, but since they are not vocal about it, unlike MS, what remains on people's subconscious is that is just MS.

They make no official announcements themselves and it’s always in an interview down in the 9th question. Horizon Zero Dawn was “announced” in the PS Blog in a segment not about Horizon or anything PC related.

Days Gone was “announced” in a magazine interview from a random question out of a segment which again has nothing to do with Days Gone or PC. Moments later the Steam page shows up. Like they strategically planned it timingly after the article went up.

They also are very secretive on what other games are coming. A game shows up out of nowhere and they give bullshit tidbits about the PC market then leave people speculating until the next random game shows up. Unlike say Microsoft who is very clear on their PC support; everything day one everywhere.

It’s like they’re trying fool people to keep buying PS4 and PS5 thinking all those games are still exclusive while they sneakily release their games on PC unannounced.

Here’s to the next PS game on PC being known about while Jim Ryan is being interviewed about his house decorations.
Oh yes, so sneaky that they've announced it on all their social media as well.

Stealth masters.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So, you think Microsoft makes zero dollars from Windows? What?

Not in the same way that closed ecosystems charge third-parties a percentage on every unit sold. So, in this instance a sale for a Sony product returns exactly the same amount to them as one sold by MS.

They've tried to monetize Windows for years and failed every single time. Their storefronts have a minority share, their browsers have had a minority share since Google and Firefox crashed their party, hell non-corporate sales of Win10 are pitiful given they still have a near monopoly on the PC OS market!

Optimus Lime

Not in the same way that closed ecosystems charge third-parties a percentage on every unit sold. So, in this instance a sale for a Sony product returns exactly the same amount to them as one sold by MS.

They've tried to monetize Windows for years and failed every single time. Their storefronts have a minority share, their browsers have had a minority share since Google and Firefox crashed their party, hell non-corporate sales of Win10 are pitiful given they still have a near monopoly on the PC OS market!
No, they make a lot more money out of Windows than closed ecosystems do, in data harvesting, user telemetry, advertising, and service sales.

If you think that Microsoft makes no money from Windows, and they've 'failed every single time', you may be the most naive and frankly adorable person on planet earth.

Do you think Facebook and Google make no money from their products either, since there are no unit sales? I guess you do.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
No, they make a lot more money out of Windows than closed ecosystems do, in data harvesting, user telemetry, advertising, and service sales.

If you think that Microsoft makes no money from Windows, and they've 'failed every single time', you may be the most naive and frankly adorable person on planet earth.

Do you think Facebook and Google make no money from their products either, since there are no unit sales? I guess you do.

That's indirect monetization. Stuff that just is, requiring no opt-in on the user's behalf, hence in the context of software sales irrelevant to the discussion.

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

That's indirect monetization. Stuff that just is, requiring no opt-in on the user's behalf, hence in the context of software sales irrelevant to the discussion.
You said:

That is patently untrue. I mean, it's untrue to a massive degree. It's crazy that you would even claim it.

HTK

Banned
Great post.

They should be afraid. I am not buying ps5 now that i know "exclusive" games are coming to pc. I was intentent on only ps5 only. Now i have a pc.

Its the non existant legacy support and bc and that fact games are coming pc.

And its even worse if it is like some neogaf insider is hinting at. That all games now are made as multiplatform games. And not bespoke. Then there is zero interest in owning a ps5.

Microsoft has been doing it, and it doesn't seem to hurt their Xbox console sales...

Skifi28

I'm not sure I get the entitlement. Do they have to announce all their futurre plans 10 years in advance? Perhaps they're not sure themselves what they're porting and when and it's not like they release the games and not telling anyone about it. Just be happy you get stuff, what more is there?

Last edited:
Horizon took two years to get to PC, Days Gone will also be about two years by the time it comes out on PC.

I'd hardly say they are being sneaky about it.

And it's pretty clear to me that their strategy is to port some games to the PC a couple of years after thier initial release to get people talking about Sony games and probably (at least inxthe case of Horizon) as a tease to PC gamers of a Sony IP that they could be playing the next version of within a year if they buy a PS5.

Kerotan

How long did it take Microsoft to get to that point though? For years Microsoft treated pc games like absolute garbage, even trotting out stuff like paid online for the platform. I’m glad Microsoft is where they are now in regards to pc, but they certainly started off treating pc games and releases very shitty.
The difference is MS owned the platform that most pc gamers used so it made so much sense for them to support pc gaming. Sony don't own Windows.

They know a good portion of their audience will freak the hell out and start sending death threats to their Twitter.

How long did it take Microsoft to get to that point though? For years Microsoft treated pc games like absolute garbage, even trotting out stuff like paid online for the platform. I’m glad Microsoft is where they are now in regards to pc, but they certainly started off treating pc games and releases very shitty.

Games For Windows Live...the horror...

Everyone treated PC users like shit a couple generations ago. Flashbacks of shitty port after shitty port. Hell, even Epic said no to Gears PC ports past GoW1 because PC players were all pirates and thieves. My how times have changed.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Horizon took two years to get to PC, Days Gone will also be about two years by the time it comes out on PC.

I'd hardly say they are being sneaky about it.

And it's pretty clear to me that their strategy is to port some games to the PC a couple of years after thier initial release to get people talking about Sony games and probably (at least inxthe case of Horizon) as a tease to PC gamers of a Sony IP that they could be playing the next version of within a year if they buy a PS5.

That's not how this works.

Their plans to port PS games to PC is recent. It's not like they knew they would release the game on PC and just sat on it.

The time consuming part is the graphics engines having to be rewritten to be a portable codebase for the PC. It's NOT because they are putting the game on the shelf and waiting for a year or more.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You said:

That is patently untrue. I mean, it's untrue to a massive degree. It's crazy that you would even claim it.
Stop being obtuse, you know damn well what I meant in the context of discussing the merits of publishing software on Windows.

And everything I wrote about MS serial failures is fact. Edge has a 7% share of the browser market, so in terms of telemetry and ad/page-impressions the presence of Sony product on Windows is likely to benefit Google far more!

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Sony 2019 - "We're going to release more games on PC in the future"

*Sony releases Days Gone*

On Demand - "WHY ISN'T SONY BEING TRANSPARENT?"

That's not how this works.

Their plans to port PS games to PC is recent. It's not like they knew they would release the game on PC and just sat on it.

The time consuming part is the graphics engines having to be rewritten to be a portable codebase for the PC. It's NOT because they are putting the game on the shelf and waiting for a year or more.
The only evidence we have so far (Horizon and Days gone as far as I am aware) suggests otherwise.
Especially as Days Gone is a UE4 game so you really can't make the engine argument for that.
All Sony have said recently is there will be more PS games coming to PC. We don't know what games, and they didn't say they were brand new games either.

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

Stop being obtuse, you know damn well what I meant in the context of discussing the merits of publishing software on Windows.

And everything I wrote about MS serial failures is fact. Edge has a 7% share of the browser market, so in terms of telemetry and ad/page-impressions the presence of Sony product on Windows is likely to benefit Google far more!
I'm not 'being obtuse'. The entire point is that the use of Windows is a revenue driver for Microsoft, not Sony, and not Nintendo. Whether it's unit sales, data sales, or service sales, user engagement with Windows is one of Microsoft's key revenue streams - at both enterprise and consumer levels.

The idea that Sony has some vested interest in using their IP to promote their competitor's platforms - Xbox, Windows, or otherwise - is laughable. They aren't going to do it. And, they haven't done it. They are using legacy IP as brand extension for the Playstation line, and nothing more.

And I have no idea why you're quoting Edge market share numbers at me, since I said nothing about Edge.

Xbox has led the way in online gaming, cross-play, multi-platform support, gaming subscription services, and backwards compatibility. Sony is just playing catc-up.
Wtf am I reading here?
Sony was doing cross play while Xbox was crying about their closed eco system.
Led the way paid online for consoles nice.
Multiplatforn support? Windows live for pc says hello.
The only thing they lead on is backwards compatible.
They spent 2013-2020 following.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Isn't that the issue.... not caring about your customers is bad business.
Taking customers for granted is pure arrogance.

You can't make every consumer happy and you shouldn't, the customer is not always right.. There are customers that complain that Sony's game never go to pc.

zedinen

Sony Corporate Report 2020

"We will explore expanding our 1st party titles to the PC platform in order to promote further growth in our profitability"

52d073db71de006b3bbcd4bf5dff3de754f629e3.jpg

CamHostage

You see it in other industries that are more physical too, you want to promote the platform where you get the most return the most.

Right, I don't know that they're sneaky, it's just that they don't care so much, PC is a secondary or companion market to them. No reason to promote on the PlayStation Blog that a game PlayStation gamers likely own will be released years later on a different platform.

And nobody really promotes their Steam pages unless they're an upstart company looking for exposure (it's not like there's a Steam Blog that lists everything coming,) there are versions of games all the time (the old game Asura's Wrath will be on there soon) that show up that maybe get a tweet on the company's page and that's the marketing.

Last edited:

Stuart360

As others have said, they just dont want to piss off PS fanboys. I think they have every intention to release more and more games on PC, but they are being vague on purpose as they dont want a huge backlash.
I honestly dont remember Xbox fanboys being so whiny when Microsoft announced they would release all their games on PC.

As others have said, they just dont want to piss off PS fanboys. I think they have every intention to release more and more games on PC, but they are being vague on purpose as they dont want a huge backlash.
I honestly dont remember Xbox fanboys being so whiny when Microsoft announced they would release all their games on PC.
They weren’t. Most welcomed it. Part of the problem for Sony fans is they’ve made exclusives the key battleground, so to see that slip away leaves a really sour taste I think.

I’d like to see Sony be brave enough to both say and do it. They obviously want to.

Last edited:

Aion002

Yes, because they care more about selling consoles and games on those than on pc.

Right now Sony is testing waters, in the future things might change, but the focus has alway been the same, make PlayStation bigger.

This approach is also one way to bring a taste of PlayStation to a different market and if they want more they might get a console.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Seriously why care so much if they release playstation exclusive on pc years later? I really don't understand the mind of some persons.

VFXVeteran

Banned
The only evidence we have so far (Horizon and Days gone as far as I am aware) suggests otherwise.
Especially as Days Gone is a UE4 game so you really can't make the engine argument for that.
All Sony have said recently is there will be more PS games coming to PC. We don't know what games, and they didn't say they were brand new games either.
I'm going by other companies like ND. I was told their engine and other custom developer engines DO have to be refactored. It is what it is.

Zato

Banned
Nothing sneaky about it, don't expect first party games to appear on PC until well after their release on console.

Sony will not cannibalise console sales for the PC market ....... its simply a way to get some extra revenue once all has been mostly got from the console sector.

I expect a minimum of 18 months gap between console release and potential PC.

Also they will do these PC releases where it makes sense, if it took any large degree of effort to bring it to PC then dont expect it. This is really about two things, a cheap and easy way to make more money from an already developed game and secondly to expose more people to their games.

Let's say someone plays God of War on PC, loves it and hears about the sequel coming out in a few months but realise it will be likely 2 years before it releases on PC (if ever) it might drive a console purchase.

They wont announce PC port schedules for example at the launch of Ragnarok on PS5 saying PC will be 12 months later, one they wont commit until they know it will be easily done and two they wont distract people away from the console launch.

Expect vagueness and uncertainty and I don't expect we will ever see every PS game released on PC.

kyussman

It's not the sort of thing you make a huge deal about when you are still firmly in the business of shifting consoles.The games are older ones anyway and have made their money,if they sell a few more copies on PC great,but it's not a big deal for them is it.

Top Bottom