• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is being very sneaky and untransparent with the way they’re handling PC ports

Faithless83

Banned
They make no official announcements themselves and it’s always in an interview down in the 9th question. Horizon Zero Dawn was “announced” in the PS Blog in a segment not about Horizon or anything PC related.

Days Gone was “announced” in a magazine interview from a random question out of a segment which again has nothing to do with Days Gone or PC. Moments later the Steam page shows up. Like they strategically planned it timingly after the article went up.

They also are very secretive on what other games are coming. A game shows up out of nowhere and they give bullshit tidbits about the PC market then leave people speculating until the next random game shows up. Unlike say Microsoft who is very clear on their PC support; everything day one everywhere.

It’s like they’re trying fool people to keep buying PS4 and PS5 thinking all those games are still exclusive while they sneakily release their games on PC unannounced.

Here’s to the next PS game on PC being known about while Jim Ryan is being interviewed about his house decorations.
I agree! Please don't support this nonsense PCMR! The sooner the ports end the better.
Let's end this port begging BS! PCMR don't need NOR WANT peasant console crappy ports, right?

Sneaky and not transparent? these ports are coming 2 years plus after the console version of the game, they may not have even decided on a PC port at the time. They've said some games may come to PC and that they will not be launching PC versions of games on the same day as the PlayStation versions, what more do you want? MS has to do it because they launch on the same day, they need to let the public know that they can pick up that game the same day.

Life

Reminds me of my little one when she has trouble sharing her toys. Didn't think I'd have to face the same shit on a gaming forum. Good thing fans have no say in how business is run. How can you get paranoid about PC ports of old games?

Mods, please do something.

Banjo64

cumsessed
But they mentioned they want it to be first on Xbox or better or other things?
So they are allowed to talk about it or not?

Either way who cares, Bethesda has been horrible recently
Vague wishy washy statement by one exec vs Xbox definitively coming out and stating categorically that the games won’t be on PS.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm not 'being obtuse'. The entire point is that the use of Windows is a revenue driver for Microsoft, not Sony, and not Nintendo. Whether it's unit sales, data sales, or service sales, user engagement with Windows is one of Microsoft's key revenue streams - at both enterprise and consumer levels.

The idea that Sony has some vested interest in using their IP to promote their competitor's platforms - Xbox, Windows, or otherwise - is laughable. They aren't going to do it. And, they haven't done it. They are using legacy IP as brand extension for the Playstation line, and nothing more.

And I have no idea why you're quoting Edge market share numbers at me, since I said nothing about Edge.

Almost as laughable as MS being humiliatingly forced to pay a cut of its PC unit sales to use Steam, despite them providing not only the transacted software, but the whole OS and software/support ecosystem behind both the game and the storefront!

Now that's irony!

MS are only offering it there because they have no choice. If the Windows store wasn't such a wet fart it'd be exclusive to that.

Sony have no vested interest in the OS market and no doubt are a major corporate client for MS' software and services. So using Windows as another sales vector is of no interest or consequence. Paying Valve their cut will no doubt grate as it cuts into their revenue-per-unit, but hey that's business.

So no, Sony is neither enriching MS nor promoting their platform. They are simply exploiting an opportunity to increase the visibility of their Playstation branded IP's and expand their addressable market.

By your "logic" Sony simply providing footage or trailers of their games is benefitting MS because they publish it using services like Youtube and Twitch that *gasp* are commonly used on windows! (Although again its roughly 10x more likely that it'd be viewed on Windows via Googles Chrome browser, ad-serving, search functions, user telemetry, data-scraping and all!)

LuisBell

Neo Member
Another interesting thing that I'm thinking about is that people have to wait 2 years to get Sony games on PC .. BUT now games on PS5 are even more expensive where games on PC continue with the same price as before (like 20€ less), less restrictions, no Online Subscriptions and better Framerate/Image Quality.

Adding to that there's the case that a lot of games come later to PC bundled with all the DLC's and patches. PC gaming gets a bit advantage in my opinion. I got a PS4 Pro but will probably wait until they release a PS5 Slim or Pro

Elios83

They make no official announcements themselves and it’s always in an interview down in the 9th question. Horizon Zero Dawn was “announced” in the PS Blog in a segment not about Horizon or anything PC related.

Days Gone was “announced” in a magazine interview from a random question out of a segment which again has nothing to do with Days Gone or PC. Moments later the Steam page shows up. Like they strategically planned it timingly after the article went up.

They also are very secretive on what other games are coming. A game shows up out of nowhere and they give bullshit tidbits about the PC market then leave people speculating until the next random game shows up. Unlike say Microsoft who is very clear on their PC support; everything day one everywhere.

It’s like they’re trying fool people to keep buying PS4 and PS5 thinking all those games are still exclusive while they sneakily release their games on PC unannounced.

Here’s to the next PS game on PC being known about while Jim Ryan is being interviewed about his house decorations.

You're basically complaining that they're not taking the PC market seriously? :messenger_grinning_sweat: But that's simply their strategy.
They're not Microsoft, they're never going to hurt their console sales.
Their PC ports are just functional to let more people try certain games, best case for them is that you'll like their games so much that you'll end buying their console and subscribe to PS+ (example:you liked Horizon on PC so much that you end up buying a PS5 to play Horizon 2 this holiday season because there is no way to tell when and if that game is being released on PC in the future), worst case you have just given them the money of the game you bought on PC.
That's their goal and why releases will be carefully selected with really long delays compared to the console releases.

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Almost as laughable as MS being humiliatingly forced to pay a cut of its PC unit sales to use Steam, despite them providing not only the transacted software, but the whole OS and software/support ecosystem behind both the game and the storefront!

Now that's irony!

MS are only offering it there because they have no choice. If the Windows store wasn't such a wet fart it'd be exclusive to that.

Sony have no vested interest in the OS market and no doubt are a major corporate client for MS' software and services. So using Windows as another sales vector is of no interest or consequence. Paying Valve their cut will no doubt grate as it cuts into their revenue-per-unit, but hey that's business.

So no, Sony is neither enriching MS nor promoting their platform. They are simply exploiting an opportunity to increase the visibility of their Playstation branded IP's and expand their addressable market.

By your "logic" Sony simply providing footage or trailers of their games is benefitting MS because they publish it using services like Youtube and Twitch that *gasp* are commonly used on windows! (Although again its roughly 10x more likely that it'd be viewed on Windows via Googles Chrome browser, ad-serving, search functions, user telemetry, data-scraping and all!)
If you think that Sony putting their highly prized first party games on a Microsoft-owned platform doesn't result in elevated consumer engagement and revenue for Microsoft, then I don't know what to tell you. You probably need a few more exclamation marks or something. Perhaps after the words 'you're nuts'.

Banned

yeah it's a bit shitty but of course they're gonna do it like this.

ZehDon

What are you talking about lol
Phil spencer already said in the interview is to bring their games day one to xbox community.
Where it says its illegal lmfao.
In accordance with anti-trust laws, Microsoft needs to get a deal of this size signed off on by a whole host of organisations, such as the EU Anti-Trust regulator. Right now, all Microsoft have made public is their intention to buy Zenimax Media - the deal isn't done until it clears the appropriate oversight bodies. Until that happens, Microsoft is legally prohibited from voicing its post-purchase intentions. You'll get nothing concrete until then, with the earliest potential date being March 5th.

S0ULZB0URNE

Maybe they don't think it's a big deal releasing old games to PC and don't need a huge reveal.
This^

Also Sony been told us classic games were coming.. Even showed a picture that had GOW and Spider-Man.

Is the internet going to explode when these PS4 games get announced?

Kumomeme

calm down. it is common for teasing stuff.

also they need to pay attention toward their own ecosystem market and fans too. Playstation is their number 1, not PC not to mention they release old game.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If you think that Sony putting their highly prized first party games on a Microsoft-owned platform doesn't result in elevated consumer engagement and revenue for Microsoft, then I don't know what to tell you. You probably need a few more exclamation marks or something. Perhaps after the words 'you're nuts'.

That's fine. Tell me what you want because you've already proven yourself either a fool or a troll. Either way, do not care.

thelastword

Banned
I think Sony Games a few years later on PC is what they have said. There is nothing untransparent and sneaky, Sony's bread and butter is it's console. They are just picking up some extra cash from PC gamers because they know PC gamers are not getting the quality of their first party anywhere else.....PC gamers have been starving for a piece of the stellar exclusives they've been seeing only available to consoles for a minute......You see their reception and anticipation of playing these gems a few years later and it's reason enough.....

I think Sony's strategy is great there, especially in how they approach the PC store wars.....Put it on everything, GOG, Steam, Epic.......Let the games gain maximum sales.....I think I was explaining early last year ways in which Sony would expand it's reach, it's game sales and this is definitely on point. I think the days where people don't want others to enjoy a game unless they have the console is outdated....I don't think they should be day and date releases with PC, but the way in which they are giving PC guys a morsel a few years later is fine for expansion...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

If I had a product line with a vicious ecosystem loving fanbase with crazy Twitter replies, I'd promote low key too.

MrS

Banned
They're afraid to hurt the Playstation's fans feelings.

They built up this narrative for years about "we believe in Generations", "we believe in exclusives". They know it was bullshit and now they are sneakily undoing all their banter in hopes nobody will notice.
I agree with this and I think it's scummy of them. They should start being more open about their long-term release strategy for first party games.

Last edited:

Dunki

Nothing of this was sneaky. The interview was planned as well as the announcement of VR and these games. They timed the Steam page with this. Nothing of this was incompetence. You might thing this is not a good strategy but in the end it was all planned like that.

Die hard fans don't like this, but from a business perspective, you're absolutely right.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They're afraid to hurt the Playstation's fans feelings.

They built up this narrative for years about "we believe in Generations", "we believe in exclusives". They know it was bullshit and now they are sneakily undoing all their banter in hopes nobody will notice.
True.

The PS to PC port is one thing about ecosystem and exclusivity.

But even within their own Sony ecosystem it was BS. Horizon 2 promoted as a PS5 in their big summer reveal video. Then it's multi gen PS4 after all in a blog around the same time PS5 preorders go up.

Last edited:
This is exactly what they are doing, they want to keep this as low key as possible. Console manufacturers want you to buy their games on their console. Sony wants to avoid the stigma of not having to buy a PS5 because you have a PC.

People on this forum love to say "MS doesn't care if you buy their game on Xbox or PC!" Those people have no clue what they are talking about. MS makes way more money off Xbox gamers, they get the online fee, percentage of every game purchase, even when its not their game, and every microtransaction purchase.

Shmunter

Exactly, Sony has no stake in PC's.... they don't even make laptops anymore.
PC is only a competing platform and they are giving away one of their strongest selling points.
Could simply mean Sony doesn’t think much of PC as a threat or a meaningful competitor

Optimus Lime

That's fine. Tell me what you want because you've already proven yourself either a fool or a troll. Either way, do not care.
You're saying things that are patently stupid. I'm not a troll, I'm responding to your absurd argument that having Sony content on a Microsoft platform doesn't value-add to said Microsoft platform. It's a ridiculous claim to make. You're the fool for making it.

Optimus Lime

People on this forum love to say "MS doesn't care if you buy their game on Xbox or PC!" Those people have no clue what they are talking about. MS makes way more money off Xbox gamers, they get the online fee, percentage of every game purchase, even when its not their game, and every microtransaction purchase.
Hence, the Xbox PC app is a janky, broken afterthought that isn't at parity with Xbox consoles. While they will accept money from die hard PC users on a platform that they already own, they'd much rather you were completely invested in their software AND hardware ecosystems. All of this 'MS doesn't care' nonsense, as you've pointed out, is just that - nonsense.

Because it bring shame to FAMIRY.
giphy.gif

Unknown?

What's so sneaky about it? We know after a gen is over and games are a few years old, they will go to PC.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Microsoft also has their own store on PC where they will get a 100% of the revenue.

Sony must sell through Valve, Steam and GoG giving them all a large piece of the pie. Genius.
Umm but Sony doesn’t have to pay the upkeep of a digital store as well. So they are not losing out too much.

VFXVeteran

Banned
This^

Also Sony been told us classic games were coming.. Even showed a picture that had GOW and Spider-Man.

Is the internet going to explode when these PS4 games get announced?

You are talking about this:

Last edited:
Top Bottom