• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is currently verifying PS4 games on PS5

VulcanRaven

I really hope it will be fully backwards compatible. I wonder if companies can say to Sony that we want to sell remasters so their games can't be backwards compatible? Rockstar might want to sell RDR2 remaster. I hope that doesn't happen.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I thought they already took care of this with the patent they filed a while back for PS5 hardware to mimic PS4 hardware with clockspeeds dropping to PS4 levels.

You still have to test test test and put out legal safe language in case a Barbie Horse Adventure does not make the cut of working properly.

pathetic. like this changing PSN name crap, where you would loose stuff.... seriously, what a bunch of amateurs.

And 99.999% of everyone did not lose shit at the end of the day. That fear fizzled like a wet fart and any issues people had, were fixed with a log-out/log-in.

Last edited:
I wonder if companies can say to Sony that we want to sell remasters so their games can't be backwards compatible? Rockstar might want to sell RDR2 remaster.
No fucking way. All patches will be free, just like they do on PCs. There are no Cell shenanigans (Uncharted/TLOU remasters) this time around to justify asking for more money.

This generation will be all about maximizing user engagement. If one company charges for patches and the other one doesn't, that's gonna rub plenty of consumers the wrong way. Nobody in their right mind wants that.

NickFire

No fucking way. All patches will be free, just like they do on PCs. There are no Cell shenanigans (Uncharted/TLOU remasters) this time around to justify asking for more money.

This generation will be all about maximizing user engagement. If one company charges for patches and the other one doesn't, that's gonna rub plenty of consumers the wrong way. Nobody in their right mind wants that.
Apparently you are very new to gaming and have yet to hear about EA and Activision. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Mexen

mmno, it itsnt. The fact of avoiding content (art creation) because of the release date / platform is hard to understand for me.
I see. In that case, if you have played every release of relevance to you by the time the PS5 comes out, then in that scenario, I can see someone sticking to next gen titles going forward. But I see your point, I had misread earlier.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It would be great if devs could just add a flag for ps4 games on ps5, like ps4 pro games.

To enable a higher res or frame rate on ps5, with not that much work from devs.
Even better, if they handled backwards compatibility like Microsoft did on the One X for 360 games. Every game gets a bump in resolution and has post-processing effects applied at the system level. Games that get the "X Enhanced" (or as Sony calls it, Pro patch) get an additional resolution bump to 4K with potential other goodies (like Final Fantasy XIII getting uncompressed videos).

NickFire

Spoiler alert: both EA and Activision have released PS4 Pro/XB1X patches for free, they didn't charge you for them. ;)

PS4 Pro and XB1X are testing grounds for next-gen, but few people realize it.
First and foremost, I was joking with you about no publisher wanting to piss off fans. But that said, thanks for reminding me that I got modern warfare remastered for free when I patched my last generation version. oh wait.

First and foremost, I was joking with you about no publisher wanting to piss off fans. But that said, thanks for reminding me that I got modern warfare remastered for free when I patched my last generation version. oh wait.
Not sure why you're playing dumb.

Did anyone charge for PS4 Pro/XB1X patches? Show me one example.

CoD4:MW (7th gen game) wasn't just a simple remaster with a resolution bump, it got new textures/assets etc. It's not a current-gen OG game that got Pro/X patches. PS4 Pro is PS4.5 in a nutshell.

Also, going from PowerPC to x86-64 is not the same as going from x86-64 (Jaguar) to x86-64 (Zen 2). ND/Bluepoint had to rewrite fully custom SPU assembly to the GPGPU equivalent. Not an easy task.

I don't think they'll have the gall to charge us for a TLOU2 PS5 patch, unless they're really arrogant (?).

NickFire

Not sure why you're playing dumb.

Did anyone charge for PS4 Pro/XB1X patches? Show me one example.

CoD4:MW (7th gen game) wasn't just a simple remaster with a resolution bump, it got new textures/assets etc. It's not a current-gen OG game that got Pro/X patches. PS4 Pro is PS4.5 in a nutshell.

Also, going from PowerPC to x86-64 is not the same as going from x86-64 (Jaguar) to x86-64 (Zen 2). ND/Bluepoint had to rewrite fully custom SPU assembly to the GPGPU equivalent. Not an easy task.

I don't think they'll have the gall to charge us for a TLOU2 PS5 patch, unless they're really arrogant (?).
I'm not playing dumb. I'm saying EA and Activision will have no qualms about charging for next gen patches if they believe there is profit to be made, without any concern over pissing off customers. Past precedent is no barrier for them when they can charge us for things.

Sony should swallow their pride and contact the guys behind the PS3 emulator (RPCS3) to cooperate on PS3 compatability. I don't expect them to, though.

The Snake

Would really like backwards compatibility. I have eight consoles currently hooked up to my TV in the living room (more in another room). If I can keep from adding more, that's great.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Sony should swallow their pride and contact the guys behind the PS3 emulator (RPCS3) to cooperate on PS3 compatability. I don't expect them to, though.
Not going to lie, that would be great. Xbox has already somewhat-confirmed that Scarlett will have OG Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One backwards compatibility - their entire console catalog.

If Playstation 5 added PS1 through PS4 backwards compatibility they would definitely have the better offering here.

Heinrich

Banned
Even better, if they handled backwards compatibility like Microsoft did on the One X for 360 games. Every game gets a bump in resolution and has post-processing effects applied at the system level. Games that get the "X Enhanced" (or as Sony calls it, Pro patch) get an additional resolution bump to 4K with potential other goodies (like Final Fantasy XIII getting uncompressed videos).

hahahah this is NEVER going to happen bro.. sony sucks at BC.. there is no way they can do it, only because MS can.

not going to happen 😉

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
hahahah this is NEVER going to happen bro.. sony sucks at BC.. there is no way they can do it, only because MS can.

not going to happen 😉
Why not? The Ps4 doesn't have the cell and the ps3 emulated ps2/1 perfectly. (launch) PS2 emulated ps1 games as well.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Why not? The Ps4 doesn't have the cell and the ps3 emulated ps2/1 perfectly. (launch) PS2 emulated ps1 games as well.

No... PS3 had PS2 hardware built in. A later model emulated the CPU (paired with hardware GPU), but rather imperfectly. The launch PS2 also used the PS1 CPU as an IO controller.

I am not sure I would go so far as to say Sony "sucks" at BC but they definitely have not put in the major engineering resources MS has... and they don't have a history going back to the 80s of ensuring backwards compatibility over vastly different operating systems and advancing hardware. MS puts an enormous amount of resources into BC on Windows and still it often falls short.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
No... PS3 had PS2 hardware built in. A later model emulated the CPU (paired with hardware GPU), but rather imperfectly. The launch PS2 also used the PS1 CPU as an IO controller.

I am not sure I would go so far as to say Sony "sucks" at BC but they definitely have not put in the major engineering resources MS has... and they don't have a history going back to the 80s of ensuring backwards compatibility over vastly different operating systems and advancing hardware. MS puts an enormous amount of resources into BC on Windows and still it often falls short.
The point was they still had BC once, why are we acting like they never did? MS had BC for the 360 for the OG xbox but they were very few titles.

jshackles

The PS4 also has a built in PS2 and Vita emulator, as well as enough oomph to run PS1 games at full speed in custom (non-Sony) emulation. Running RPCS3 on a hacked PS4 Pro also yields pretty impressive results

The fact that the PS5 is supposed to be much more powerful, along with the fact that Sony could potentially be doing the emulation themselves... It would definitely be possible.

They're cowards though, I doubt they would do it though because it would cut into the PSNow subscription revenue. They definitely wouldn't do like Microsoft and let you play your older games from the disc. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

jshackles

Indeed. I mean like with xbox, why would i want to play my copy of halo 3 in 4k on my X when I can still play it at 720p on my dusty and probably about to die 360?
GAF's Sony defense force is going to come in and say you're a weirdo for wanting to play Halo 3 when Halo 5 exists.

They're cowards though, I doubt they would do it though because it would cut into the PSNow subscription revenue. They definitely wouldn't do like Microsoft and let you play your older games from the disc. I'd love to be proven wrong though.
As I've said before, they'll have to replace their custom PS3 hardware:

Sooner or later, it's bound to happen.

Why not give us PS3 BC on PS5 as well? Right now streaming is not adequate due to low bitrates and high latency. Besides, they could also sell downloadable PS1/PS2/PS3 games via PS Now, so no need for streaming.

Imagine a PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4 BC megaton announced in the 25-year PS1 anniversary (PS1 was released in September 1995 in the West: NA/EU).

Sony has a lot to gain in multiple fronts (PC-based hardware replacing custom/exotic chips, PR goodwill etc.) :)

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not going to lie, that would be great. Xbox has already somewhat-confirmed that Scarlett will have OG Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One backwards compatibility - their entire console catalog.

If Playstation 5 added PS1 through PS4 backwards compatibility they would definitely have the better offering here.

Entire catalog? Thought it was select games from Xbox and 360?

jshackles

Entire catalog? Thought it was select games from Xbox and 360?
Well bad choice of wording on my part, I apologize. I meant that Microsoft's entire catalog of hardware consoles will be represented.

JLB

Banned
More like I only watch Blu-ray movies in my Blu-ray player.
That means I won't use it to watch DVD lol

BTW that is how I did in previous gems... I never played any remaster for PS4 that I already played on PS3.
Even the Cross-buy titles like Flower, Journey and others I only played on PS3.

Why the media has anything to do with all of this? I mean, many classics were released on VHS originally. So you didnt watch Back to the future?
Nonsense.

Last edited:

jshackles

Ah okay, I was like, damn that is a hefty endeavor with how involved each game is in emulation.
Presumably every (or most every) Xbox One game will be backwards compatible on Scarlett day one, and we've been told that the back-compat team will start releasing new X360 and OG titles again after the new console drops.

The biggest hurdle for getting 100% of the software catalog playable in one place is going to be the fact that some of the rights holders for these older games have folded since.

Essentially, there's still a lot of questions surrounding PS5 backwards compatibility, how it will work, the extent of the supported library, and whether it'll be a free feature, or part of Sony's PS Plus subscription service.

If they lock the ability for me to play my PS4 games that I bought on PSN and physical from playing on the PS5 unless I pay for PS+, I will be so fucking furious it's not even funny.

LordOfChaos

I thought they already took care of this with the patent they filed a while back for PS5 hardware to mimic PS4 hardware with clockspeeds dropping to PS4 levels.

Nothing ever said that one patent was a full solution, it's still a new microarchitecture to deal with, even being x86 and GCN+ ISA.

I think they'll probably manage just fine but they do have to validate a lot of gaming hours.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

I hope for at least 2 things to happen.
A: I get the benefits of Ps4 Pro on Ps5 for Ps4 pro made\patched games.
B: Even non-patched pro games get some kind of benefit ie performance jumps etc.

NeoGiffer

I hope they don't just forget about Vita, PSP, and PS3. There's a lot of great titles on PSN for those system(s). I just hope its BC with digital PS4 titles. I'd love to boot up the PS5 and browse my PS4 library.

200.gif

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Would be nice if was backwards compatible and you download 4K assets and stuff. But I guess that I'm asking too much

Three

GAF's Sony defense force is going to come in and say you're a weirdo for wanting to play Halo 3 when Halo 5 exists.
But you could already do that if MCC was any good. Most of the good games have been Remastered and thankfully they're not all like MCC.

jshackles

Would be nice if was backwards compatible and you download 4K assets and stuff. But I guess that I'm asking too much
I don't see why not, as long as the developer makes those available via a patch. Lots of games have a Pro patch that already does exactly that. Diablo 3 and Elder Scrolls Online immediately jump to mind.

bitbydeath

The statement lacks the word PS4 and comes across to me as being about ALL Playstations.

"Currently, the dev team is putting all power on verifying whether they can secure a complete compatibility. Please wait for more information."

Last edited:

FranXico

But was it stated or just assumed based on what’s been said to date?
Here is the original source:
BlackKite on Twitter
More statement on PlayStation 5's PS4 Backwards Compatibility "Currently, the dev team is putting all power on verifying whether they can secure a complete compatibility. Please wait for more information." https://www.famitsu.com/news/201910/08184763.html …

Finally, here is what Google Translate gives from the original excerpt from Famitsu:
About compatibility with PS4
At present, the official announcement of SIE is that the PS4 software compatibility, which is described as “Designed to achieve compatibility with PlayStation 4 titles”, is as follows. We are verifying. Please wait for further information. " It is premised on compatibility, but how far titles are targeted is undecided.

Last edited:
Top Bottom