• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is hiring Senior Director for PC Planning and Strategy

reksveks

Well, GOG managed to and they're worth a fraction of Sony and Nintendo who are worth a fraction of Microsoft
GOG?. If you would have said STEAM I would take your point.....But GOG? GOG is not even a player in the space.

Even with that said...If you think Sony would be happy to enter in the PC space as a store front....and have GOGs numbers.....that would be considered as massive failure.
Yeah as Chorizo alludes to GoG is a bad comparison. If my conversion rates were right. Still making a loss. Roughly 47m usd revenue, 7m usd loss. Not a huge business
539q6EO.jpg

Going all in. Within 2 to 3 years it will be a completely different ball game. Looking forward to it.
Absolutely. Console warriors refusing to accept it, but the next 5-10 years will yield massive changes to how this industry operates in terms of ways to play, available platforms etc.

I'm buying up retro games like a mad man in the meantime.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
i was wondering...assuming PS5 is not in short supply..will Sony do this?

Does Sony really interested to enter the PC market, or just because they dont have enough console to sell and they try to sell their games to a broader market?
If not today ,it is a move that would have been absolutely necessary in the near future. Consoles have a limited amount of sales per generation this can increase by a few 10 million or decrease by the same amount but there are no huge prospects for growth.All related to:

Production capacity (currently in difficulty) / Sales capacity / Time.

A generation usually lasts 7 or 8 years and I don't see how to increase the production and sales capacity in the same amount of time to increase the prospect of growth substantially. Sony knows this and Microsoft knew it, which has accelerated this due to the suffering that its Xbox One has experienced.
The production sector is also at high business risk if compared only to that of software distribution and we are experiencing the consequences with the inability to find consoles on the market easily.
The PC market is there, and it already has more users than the series or PS5 could hope to achieve at the end of the generational cycle not taking advantage of it is stupid. Sony is making it all smoother and slow because knows his own userbase and knows that many do not see positively the abandonment of the idea of having their once console exclusives becoming playable on other platforms.
It will happen by the end this gen. Day one release

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Going all in. Within 2 to 3 years it will be a completely different ball game. Looking forward to it.
It is interesting that they bought PC porting experts support studios and seem to have prepared their audience for first on console and then expanded and PC optimised (configurable and more open) on PC a bit later. Having PSVR2 and DualSense fully supported on PC would help devs optimise console versions the way people expect them without suffering too much.

I still think all PS exclusives day and date on PC are not ideal, but at this point a PC Store (still think they will buy Gog.com and CDPR) seems inevitable.

GreatnessRD

I remember when PS made all the best strategic moves first, now they react to Microsoft years later. How times change huh?
I don't think this is a complete reaction to just Microsoft. Times are changing and more and more people are coming to the Master Race. But times are definitely changing since we're having a convo about Playstation and their PC strategies.

LOVE TO SEE IT!

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
Sony going all in on PC doesn't mean another PC launcher. Why do people think this? Even the link mentions Steam and EGS, which they already have gone all in on. They have even invested heavily into Epic. Releasing games exclusively on unpopular stores at this point isn't very beneficial. Microsoft and EA are perfect examples of that.

Last edited:

Holammer

Sony going all in on PC doesn't mean another PC launcher. Why do people think this? Even the link mentions Steam and EGS, which they already have gone all in on. They have even invested heavily into Epic. Releasing games exclusively on unpopular stores at this point isn't very beneficial. Microsoft and EA are perfect examples of that.
I think Sony having its own launcher may represent the Acceptance stage for some people.
It makes some business sense too, even if it's there only to skim user data from games sold on Steam or EGS.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
For trophies alone, a launcher that links your PSN account to your Sony PC games is something lots of people will be OK with.

Xbox Game Studios games link to your Xbox Live Account and Achievements even if you buy them on Steam.
You dont need a separate launcher to achieve that result.
I buy some XGS games on Steam even when I have Gamepass, my Achievements and Activity follows me even on Steam.
The Windows store/Xbox app can be iffy on PC if I can avoid it I will....my CrackDown 3 data is still on my PC to this day.

<--Says "some" but actually means Forza Horizon 5(Utrawide support), Gears 5(Ultrawide support) and Halo Infinite MP(Ultrawide support).

Gamezone

Gold Member
I think Sony having its own launcher may represent the Acceptance stage for some people.
It makes some business sense too, even if it's there only to skim user data from games sold on Steam or EGS.
I agree that there could be som login system that Microsoft use (Login to Xbox Live) even if the games are sold trough Steam and EGS. But their own launcher with exclusive games only won't happen.

Sentenza

I wonder if there is a ps store in the works at some point. That’s where the real bucks are.
That would instantly turn all ports of Sony games on PC from a comfortable "Sure, why not?" purchase to a "Only if I really feel it's one of the one-in-ten-years must-have".
Exactly as it already happens for EA with Origin and Ubisoft with Uplay.
Two companies from which I hardly ever buy anything anymore.

If Sony is willing to give up on money, go ahead.

Last edited:
Xbox Game Studios games link to your Xbox Live Account and Achievements even if you buy them on Steam.
You dont need a separate launcher to achieve that result.
I buy some XGS games on Steam even when I have Gamepass, my Achievements and Activity follows me even on Steam.
The Windows store/Xbox app can be iffy on PC if I can avoid it I will....my CrackDown 3 data is still on my PC to this day.

<--Says "some" but actually means Forza Horizon 5(Utrawide support), Gears 5(Ultrawide support) and Halo Infinite MP(Ultrawide support).

That’s good to hear. I don’t buy Xbox Studios games (with the exception of Fable) so I didn’t know how that all worked. Hopefully Sony goes the same route then for everyone’s benefit.

DukeNukem00

Banned
I think Sony realized that pc gamers will be harder to convince to buy a PS5 just for exclusives! I think this is a win win situation for everyone!

PC gamers are PC gamers because they like PC games and the platform. Its a different audience and market. There's very little overlap between pc's and consoles. You just need to look at every list of the most played or sold games in any year ever. There are top 10 lists that dont have a single game on both platforms. They both play their own games.

Since we know sony makes most of the money from 3rd party games and you being in their ecosystem, even if a pc gamer gets a console to play some exclusive and then throw it in the closet or sell the console, sony didnt make money of that. PC has emerged as the premier platform for many games in the last few years. Dying Light 2's recently announced 5 million sales, most of them are on PC. The press release even noted the user rating on steam for both DL 1 and 2. Most of Elden Ring's 12 million sales are on PC. Pretty much every big game launched last year that did well cracked some million sales on PC.

It's a platform that cant be ignored in these modern times if you like money.

Sentenza

Yeah for some it would be like that, but 30% is a lot to hand over.

Ultimately a PS5 or PS PC store with delayed releases should be the way to buy games from PS studios.
You are not "handing it over". You are paying for:
- the infrastructure
- the bandwidth
- all the accessory features the service offers for no additional fee (including the option to sell or gift serial keys for your games at no additional charge outside of Steam itself)
- and MORE IMPORTANTLY for easy access to the largest user base of any other store of this kind

These are all things that take YEARS to build up and success in the end isn't even a guarantee (as proved by Epic losing a lot of money with EGS and failing every single milestone so far on their "road to commercial viability by 2027").

People who keep talking as if Valve were robbing developers of their hard earned money seem to live in a reality detached from any real market.
Imagine wanting to sell your products in a supermarket chain without giving them a percentage on the sale.
Or worse, thinking that by not selling at the supermarket chain and not giving them a percentage you'll make more money, because you have your own corner shop.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
- the infrastructure
- the bandwidth
- all the accessory features the service offers for no additional fee (including the option to sell or gift serial keys for your games at no additional charge outside of Steam itself)
- and MORE IMPORTANTLY for easy access to the largest user base of any other store of this kind

These are all things that take YEARS to build up and success in the end isn't even a guarantee (as proved by Epic losing a lot of money with EGS and failing every single milestone so far on their "road to commercial viability by 2027").

People who keep talking as if Valve were robbing developers of their hard earned money seem to live in a reality detached from any real market.
Imagine wanting to sell your products in a supermarket chain without giving them a percentage on the sale.
No idea why you're ranting again.

The point is Sony could perhaps save a significant amount money in the long-run by opening their own store. I never suggested Steam didn't deserve the percentage ffs.

Oh yeah you're a PCMR clown. My bad, I forgot.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

The point is Sony could perhaps save a significant amount money in the long-run by opening their own store. I never suggested Steam didn't deserve the percentage ffs.

They don't put out nearly enough games to justify the cost of maintaining a store front.

And I don't foresee Sony planning to compete with EGS or Steam and start hosting other publisher games.

Shmunter

They don't put out nearly enough games to justify the cost of maintaining a store front.

And I don't foresee Sony planning to compete with EGS or Steam and start hosting other publisher games.
Sell on both our stores, only pay 20% instead of 30. Boom

Hezekiah

Banned

Maybe not at the moment.

But with all their recruitment and acquisitions that might change.

And they sure as hell ain't paying Epic for the privilege of selling Playstation Studio games.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sell on both our stores, only pay 20% instead of 30. Boom

Can work in theory but difficult to predict how it'll go in practice .

There's enough user samples we've seen on forums where PC users deliberately avoid getting games on X or Y store front even if it's either cheaper there (eg free on Game Pass) or exclusively there for a few months (eg EGS) and they wait for it to come to Steam.

It's a weird thing as all these storefronts are free in the first place, it's not like a console buy-in. But folks have some hardcore allegiances.

edit: I put practice where theory should go and vice versa lol, updated.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Can work in theory but difficult to predict how it'll go in practice .

There's enough user samples we've seen on forums where PC users deliberately avoid getting games on X or Y store front even if it's either cheaper there (eg free on Game Pass) or exclusively there for a few months (eg EGS) and they wait for it to come to Steam.

It's a weird thing as all these storefronts are free in the first place, it's not like a console buy-in. But folks have some hardcore allegiances.

edit: I put practice where theory should go and vice versa lol, updated.
Psplus, 700 games may tempt a few.

Anyway, they should stay out of it and put all efforts to the ps5 imho.

yurinka

TBH I don't think they'd need to buy either of those companies (and for various reasons, couldn't buy Valve without probably having it ruled as anti-competitive), just a partnership.

While their latest investments in Epic probably aren't specifically tied to EGS, I wouldn't be surprised if that is at least a factor into the investments. Epic already only take 12% of the cut; maybe they reduce that to 10% with Sony's games, and Sony might look to publish certain 3P games on PC or co-publish PC versions of certain 3P games.

Or possibly Epic waives their cut for Sony's games altogether but they work on integrating PS+ features and compatibility into EGS, and tie subscription perks into EGS to match PS+ ones (current and forthcoming). That would also incentivize more 3P publishers to bring their releases to EGS as the favored storefront. I wouldn't expect them or Sony to stop bringing their games to Steam, just that there could be benefits like the aforementioned and maybe some others (like a 10% discount) for buying them on EGS vs. Steam.

It's an interesting possibility but it's probably a decent ways out before seeing if there's any movement towards it.
I agree, they don't need to buy these companies (even if would be good acquisitions) and whatever Sony does or acquires they'll continue publishing the Sony PC ports in Steam for many years because they have a big majority of the PC market.

Regarding Epic, the biggest asset they have is Unreal Engine. It's becoming a monopoly for AA/AAA games, and is growing in other markets like shooting movies or tv shows, tv ads, or in other areas like architecture. If Sony would want to buy Epic and keep them working independently multiplatform and selling UE to everybody, they could have issues with regulators due to game engines monopoly.

At some point, Sony is going to unleash a shit load of PC ports. Right now there's only a handful that sporadically come out every 6 or 9 months or whatever. And the Uncharted 4 port is coming out in 2022 too at some point.

There is no way Sony bought Nixxes, hiring PC Director roles and doing PPT slides promoting PC gaming if their plan is just to continue doing 3 year old ports every 9 months kind of thing.

If Sony's future plan was to do that, they wouldnt even need Nixxes or all these new PC people. They'd just keep porting it how they do now with existing teams.
I think Sony will increase their amount of PC ports to 4, maximum 6 per year. They require marketing, and they also market their PS games, services and hardware. To go beyond that very likely would saturate their marketing schedule and the budget of the PC players. Like all PS Studios Nixxes is growing to be able to work in more projects. Until then I think they'll continue hiring people like Iron Galaxy to help them with the ports.

We also have to remember that in the console side Sony is acquiring studios, growing the existing internal ones they have and if Jim Ryan said PS5 will be their console with more exclusives I think he meant they'll have more 3rd party exclusives than ever, because always a big majority of their exclusives have been 3rd party. So they may reach a point where they could saturate not only their marketing channels and PC players, but also console players.

So maybe 4 PC ports per year (each one of them could be a collection/bundle as the upcoming Uncharted one) is the sweet spot. I think TLOU 1+2 Director's Cut (TLOU remake + TLOU2 PS5), Spider-Man + Spider-Man Miles Morales, Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection and Bloodborne Director's Cut (remastered+new content) and Ghost of Tsushima are very good candidates from late 2022 to early 2024. Add there the upcoming Bungie new IP which will be multiplatform day one everywhere.

Last edited:

Graciaus

You think they could save money by cutting out the biggest digital store and there userbase? Many have tried it and they pretty much all come back. Epic has a much smaller cut and their sales aren't even worth mentioning.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
- the infrastructure
- the bandwidth

I think the point being made is that if Sony could sell on PC without having to use Steam then they absolutely would. Valve isn't robbing anyone with their fees as it is entirely voluntary. But paying 30 cents on the dollar is a significant chunk of cash. Is it worth it? Obviously. Otherwise Sony games wouldn't be on Steam.

DukeNukem00

Banned
I agree, they don't need to buy these companies (even if would be good acquisitions) and whatever Sony does or acquires they'll continue publishing the Sony PC ports in Steam for many years because they have a big majority of the PC market.

Regarding Epic, the biggest asset they have is Unreal Engine. It's becoming a monopoly for AA/AAA games, and is growing in other markets like shooting movies or tv shows, tv ads, or in other areas like architecture. If Sony would want to buy Epic and keep them working independently multiplatform and selling UE to everybody, they could have issues with regulators due to game engines monopoly.

sony cant buy Epic. Sweeney owns the majority of the company. Its his company, if he doesnt want to sell it, nobody can ever buy it

VFXVeteran

Banned
Have been warning people it was coming
Not before me!! :messenger_sunglasses:

I got crucified for "spreading false rumors" about PC ports. No Sony warrior on these boards has never publicly admitted to me that I was right and that I should be redeemed for all the doubters. It's been YEARS since I told you guys what my contact said about the future of Sony. He was right about everything. PS5 GPU equivalence, TLOU/TLOU2, Horizon, Day One releases (eventually).

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
The faster people get out of the moronic console war space, the better.
Exactly! I said that this year to the Sony gamers. Once the exclusives become day and date with the PC, the "our games blow everything away" will disappear. People will no longer have to justify their purchase by thinking it's unique and the best. Those days are gone - and hopefully - the console wars.

yurinka

sony cant buy Epic. Sweeney owns the majority of the company. Its his company, if he doesnt want to sell it, nobody can ever buy it
This can be said for any company. Obviously their main stockholders must want to sell. And typically they say they don't want to sell until they sell. I think Sweeney doesn't want to sell, and that Tencent doesn't want to sell. But who knows, we also saw stuff like Activison Blizzard and many other companies unexpectedly being sold.

And well, on top of that Epic would be so expensive and Sony may not have available acquisitions budget left for the current fiscal year (may have ~$7B left) even if they would want to make an effort they could find a way: use cash outside this budget, pay with Sony stocks, get some debt (Sony has low debt) and well, to control a company you need 51% instead of the 100%.

But yes, I think Sony won't buy Epic, Valve or CD Project.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Not before me!! :messenger_sunglasses:

I got crucified for "spreading false rumors" about PC ports. No Sony warrior on these boards has never publicly admitted to me that I was right and that I should be redeemed for all the doubters. It's been YEARS since I told you guys what my contact said about the future of Sony. He was right about everything. PS5 GPU equivalence, TLOU/TLOU2, Horizon, Day One releases (eventually).
Yeah, I was one of those people. In my defense, this was a complete 180' from Sony's part, so I couldn't see it happening. Not entirely sure if you were the one who said that HZD Forbidden West would come on PC first, then PS5. That was coo coo.

Still, you were right, and we the PS fanboys were wrong.

Never happier to be a Master Race cultist, tbh.

DukeNukem00

Banned
This can be said for any company. Obviously their main stockholders must want to sell. And typically they say they don't want to sell until they sell. I think Sweeney doesn't want to sell, and that Tencent doesn't want to sell.

But who knows, we also saw stuff like Activison Blizzard and many other companies unexpectedly being sold.
It can't be said for any company. Sweeney owns Epic. Its his personal toy, you can say. It doesnt matter what the shareholders want or say, because he owns the controlling part. Sony can't buy Epic unless Sweeney wants to. It doesnt matter what tencent or any other shareholder says or wants. They dont own enough shares to have a say in the matter.

Top Bottom