• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is offering Bungie employees a $1.2 billion incentive program in an effort to keep them at the company following the buyout.

kingfey

Banned
And what makes you say that Rare has no talent currently? Are the old people the only ones that are capable of making video games?

It's been 20 years. Not many people work in the same place that long anyway. At some point, you WILL have to eventually replace them. I don't get this mindset.
gaming industry cant handle long term breaks. Its either ride or die.

Those talented people could have trained new rare employees. and pass their knowledge to them.

daTRUballin

gaming industry cant handle long term breaks. Its either ride or die.

Those talented people could have trained new rare employees. and pass their knowledge to them.
Well, then good thing Rare still has some key people from the SNES/N64 days. Namely Gregg Mayles who directed some of their most well-known games.

A bit off topic...since it's not about Bungie...but kinda about the same stuff, the way Sony's studios are expanding is kind of impressive right now. They are giving Bungie employees incentives to stay at the company, today i saw this on twitter related to Naughty Dog:

How many projects is Naughty Dog working on? This suggests a new project is happening, possibly starting. "we're expanding" + 80 new job positions available suggests a new team is being assembled.
We're so focused on "why aren't they buying bigger studios" when we should focus on how many teams each studio has right now. Insomniac is doing at least 3 projects as well. The way their studios overall have expanded since early PS4 is something for sure.

These 3 companies have such distinct strategies though:

MS - They have all the money so they buy whatever they want. No matter if it's a publisher or a small studio.
Sony - Their acquisitions are much more...precise. Started with all the studios close to them, while expanding their already existing studios. They are now branching off a little bit and making bigger acquisitions.
Nintendo - They remain unbothered and will simply acquire studios they feel that "get" them. That's all they need anyway.

Honestly, wherever you choose to play, the future is looking bright for all 3.

Sony buy Capcom and Square-Enix plz

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Bungie is useless without top bras talents.
If they leave now, Sony would have useless studio, like how MS ended up with Rare. Rare didn't make games like they used to do. And only started their own new universe. But it took them 15 years to reach that.
Funny you say that in context of Bungie, where most of the people who made Halo have left. Many of the original Destiny team that stuck after its release slowly left. Its a completely different company, even more than Rare.

Yoboman

A bit off topic...since it's not about Bungie...but kinda about the same stuff, the way Sony's studios are expanding is kind of impressive right now. They are giving Bungie employees incentives to stay at the company, today i saw this on twitter related to Naughty Dog:

How many projects is Naughty Dog working on? This suggests a new project is happening, possibly starting. "we're expanding" + 80 new job positions available suggests a new team is being assembled.
We're so focused on "why aren't they buying bigger studios" when we should focus on how many teams each studio has right now. Insomniac is doing at least 3 projects as well. The way their studios overall have expanded since early PS4 is something for sure.

MS - They have all the money so they buy whatever they want. No matter if it's a publisher or a small studio.
Sony - Their acquisitions are much more...precise. Started with all the studios close to them, while expanding their already existing studios. They are now branching off a little bit and making bigger acquisitions.
Nintendo - They remain unbothered and will simply acquire studios they feel that "get" them. That's all they need anyway.

Probably Factions 2, TLOU Remake and new IP

kingfey

Banned
Funny you say that in context of Bungie, where most of the people who made Halo have left. Many of the original Destiny team that stuck after its release slowly left. Its a completely different company, even more than Rare.
Destiny top bras. Destiny has successful formula, and FPS dna talent. The perfect live service game, which Sony is after.

Destiny 1 showed their inexperience, until they fixed in destiny 2. That kind of stuff is valuable to Sony.

Bernkastel

Destiny top bras. Destiny has successful formula, and FPS dna talent. The perfect live service game, which Sony is after.

Destiny 1 showed their inexperience, until they fixed in destiny 2. That kind of stuff is valuable to Sony.
Destiny 1 was better than Destiny 2 though.

Topher

Gold Member
Funny, Bungie employees need to be bribed to stay but Activision employees don't.

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem pretty much covered that

Just before the acquisition mass exodus was happening:

Bernkastel

At what aspect? I heard people complaining about 1 for some reason.
You heard but I played that game. Destiny 2 year 1 was even more content dry than Destiny 1 year 1. Destiny 1 had this mysterious aspect to it, both the underlying lore and the soundtrack reflected it. Joe Staten originally intended for the Traveller and Darkness to be same, and we thought that would be the case based on the lore. Destiny 2 focuses too much on heroism -Traveler good, Darkness bad. I loved the atmosphere in D1. In D1 if you worked hard to get a god roll weapon you earned it. But in D2 everything becomes irrelevant a year later. Its also mess where you will be dropped right onto a new campaign, they even vaulted Forsaken which is the best D2 campaign. Also PvP is worse in D2 than D1.

yurinka

All Sony studios have been growing a lot since a year or so ago and continue growing. The idea is to help them grow to a point where they can work on more games at the same time. Like Insomniac, who works in 3-4 games at the same time.

Funny, Bungie employees need to be bribed to stay but Activision employees don't.
Retention bonuses are very common in big companies, specially during the first years after an acquisition. Pretty sure that Activision also has them, or will have them after the acquisition.

We know at least a case there: Phil Spencer was right when he said he was going to reevaluate their relationship with Activision, he bought them and made his CEO Bobby Kotick billions richer, plus confirmed that he will continue as CEO.

Last edited:
Capcom isn’t even in consideration they aren’t selling.

Square is legit inconsequential
Capcom is the cheapest one. lol. And are the only ones that are more or less strictly a gaming company.

The love how this Activision purchase has been painted. The move comes desperation. It’s a hailmary. This purchase could ultimately be as horribly executed, as AT&Ts. Xbox doesnt report numbers for a reason. Because no matter how large Microsoft is, Xbox has never reached the heights of Sony or Nintendo.

Game-pass (giving your franchises away for 10 dollars a month a la HBO Max), forcing cross-play to force your competitor to share their player base(so your lobbies wont be empty and players abandon your system), convincing higher ups to spend 70 billion to make up market share.

That didnt come from success. That 70 billion came from Microsoft’s other monopolies.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Usually this kind of offer is on the table for the members of management who are deemed crucial to the business. Sometimes, some lucky people get included in that shortlist even though though they don’t deserve it.

I’m interested in what the exact deal is here. What is on offer and what is its value?

For example if it’s just a case of saying everyone gets £10k of shares with 2K being given each year over the next 5 years. Or something along the lines. Then in real terms it’s not worth that much to an individual.

In my experience that’s the kind of scam deal that’s usually on offer.

But this might be different.

Korso

Makes sense. This purchase wasn't for IP; Sony doesn't have an IP problem. It seems it was more for the talent. They are trying to do more live service things.

Top Bottom