• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is really pushing Horizon!

Any more internal impressions on the game you know about, Shinobi? Last we heard it was being reviewed well at Sony.
Pretty much. Mock reviews have been very good. Internally I'm told the game is regarded as the best thing coming out of anything first party by senior PS leadership. They're extremely high on it.

I expect the game do well critically and commercially.

Is this really supposed to be an RPG in the vein of Witcher or Dragon Age? I thought it was more like an action adventure game with RPG elements. Like, Zelda/Darksiders with a somewhat basic skill tree.

Actually, now that I think about it, I've only seen gameplay videos showing combat, and the story trailer. Are there other gameplay videos out there showcasing the game systems (inventory, rpg elements, etc)?

From what they've shown it's looking like Witcher 3 with less focus on telling the story "your way", dialogue trees appear to be more about expanding the game lore and exposition than making an impact to the story (could be wrong, but with their lack of focus on branching story paths I doubt there's much of it). Combat is almost a suped up version of Witcher 3s. Big seamless open world (no loading screens in the over world like Dragon Age Inquisition). Has in depth tactical gameplay based on weapon choices and tool crafting, partnered with an action game level moment to moment action. There's also an apparent light emphasis on gear, with many different weapons and armour that can be crafted or bought.
There's only so many RPG elements you can have before your game is an RPG. I'd say Horizon, at this moment in time with our limited information, is as much an RPG as Dragon Age Inquisition and is nothing at all like Zelda in the slightest bit.

Lingitiz

Pretty much. Mock reviews have been very good. Internally I'm told the game is regarded as the best thing coming out of anything first party by senior PS leadership. They're extremely high on it.

Huge praise if true considering the response to God of War so far.

Crayon

It annoys me when certain games that could catch on don't get marketed by Sony. *coughUntilDawncough*

If they play their cards right this could be big! I want to know what movies that poster watched and saw ads for this though and what region.

There's been some times where they appear to put a game out just to observe how it does with little marketing. Maybe it's a safer bet than spending a whole nother truckload of money to do a marketing blitz on an unknown series? Stuff like resistance and motorstorm; they just let the first games come out quietly and then the sequels got more marketing. Maybe it's a smart safe bet but you get these situation where the series takes a long time to recover after the first game fails to make a splash.

Lifeline

I don't trust PS Leadership when they thought Knack was supposed to be a 70 MC game, and it ended up with 54

First i have not seen one ad for horizon. But im not in the states so. Please push this game further and announce a limited ps4 pro with some of the great artwork we seen. Im just waiting to give you my money, please take it now. Thank you Sony.

OMG.

Hype reaching critical levels D:

Unknown?

Over God of War?! That's nuts!! Or do they mean from stuff coming out this year? ;P

I don't trust PS Leadership when they thought Knack was supposed to be a 70 MC game, and it ended up with 54

I think you read that wrong or I did. I was under the impression that they were hoping for that. Hoping and assuming are two different things.

DieH@rd

Banned
I think he's trying to say Horizon looks similar to Enslaved

I really don't think that's the case. I really enjoyed Enslaved, but this is totally different type of a game.

edit - BTW, they always described this game as Action RPG, so I don't expect miracles from it's game systems. Lots of action and some RPG stuff that is more oriented to managing combat stats. I expect something that is at the same time scaled-up version of original Mass Effect trilogy, and also lite and more approachable version of Witcher 3.

I really hope it's good...dunno how much it's Sales potential is, but I'm ready for a big open world RPG to finally have some amazing gameplay mechanics

BigEmil

You said Order 1886 was good though, did those senior PS leadership also think Movie 1886 was good?

I really hope it's good...dunno how much it's Sales potential is, but I'm ready for a big open world RPG to finally have some amazing gameplay mechanics

Open world games are as big as it gets when we talk about sales potential on consoles imo.

I personally still can't believe the visuals for an open world game, let's hope it's a stable 30fps and mostly bug free.
Also happy that it's a singleplayer only game with no tacked on multiplayer.

Will certainly buy it if it gets good reviews.

VanWinkle

I hope so bad the game is great. Would be amaaaazing. It's the first game I have preordered since UC4 so I'm taking a little bit of a risk.

When Horizon came out with the hokum tagline :zero dawn; I was like this is going to be shit. But the more I see of the game, the better it looks. Day 1 purchase and they did a great job on this. Can't wait

When I think about it Killzone 2 is easily one of the best games to come out from Sony first parties in a long time, easily the best one if you consider SP+MP complete package. Killzone 3 was kinda riddled with being a AAA testing ground for every Sony gimmick at the time (3D, Move) and chasing the CoD market. Shadowfall was possibly rushed for launch. Hopefully Guerilla can show they still are a top tier developer and not a one hit wonder.

I hope so bad the game is great. Would be amaaaazing. It's the first game I have preordered since UC4 so I'm taking a little bit of a risk.

Why though? Just wait for the reviews and you can still get your game on time. Never understood this. It's their first open world game.

Wollan

Killzone 2 was a pretty incredible achievement at the time. Mindblowing graphics (one of the very first titles to use deferred rendering/lighting I believe? which made it really stand out to anything else at the time) with high grit and incredible gunplay and class-based multiplayer (dat multiplayer...).
It was probably the very first step in turning around the horrible, seemingly inescapable, negative wording surrounding the PS3 when the game released February 2009.
That followed up with the release of Uncharted 2 and the PS3 Slim later that year continued the momentum.
IXfOzSW2e1wfFpog2IhhMzfxseu5fkqO5YKZiA7AF8WnUpmgI3ciKidro58ML7qiCHUhE8zSZ17hv1Vz6h4aB3f0sQaQPws5gtuURH6-KQLDj5GCKNdbyeEtPRc_uhG_3oqg0CX06eWjaGozZynhnfsDYXN6Vq7BHLhoxfrXNNjaDZ_P-RHrfjckO_830Yvpm3AQg3bUzjhExpr1UqI5x0ZVpxZixRSwbOz6igj4w3oPZwClLvzEfPcnnyjYqs5QAAnYs8iOn871MwbP7dUYgJTHb35YrbnNyQYmGOS8JkBA98NSX_Kg7PoBIuIyj5ez3inqfaVf5N8LBnBCMO82seI7j-mhSdKLWYatepov8Z4vtTZeq_a8m-NArxlxz6StLXbMb4N3rr4iS8jeB_sTdG11PtOIqHrTRTdR9xBXtvCOE4S6wH4a-McpQDsE7cu5xdrgEC2CwgUqhUfo2r-a59laDVrV1VH9cDRpUT1A-up_BHF_22xJZgkTw4_JE2fPQIxo_GvCiCgJv7W1m_JT2LGnJUzXdqTVBrzmBHPoRFMYcNyWHa_m0xi74BQ9GYbcDNJbe0PnxmPV2zrCNp1Xv3foH3m1P33wOjpVWcXpeUuxKw5-oQgV-vWcDa5-sW0K2IopL-cvSu-CqiwzMdZJ975EHtCoocCcowOWYSw2mRk=w411-h120-no

Horizon has been worked on by a small team since Killzone 3 (five+ years now) by the KZ2 director so I have big hopes.

dd492941

I am day one with this one. I've been blown away by how great this looks since the first reveal. My fiance doesn't like the female lead for some odd reason. She hates Lara croft more though. She is not looking forward to the week this launches. But Zelda will more than make it up to her since she loves Link (Lance) is her character name though. Haha

Sorry Sony but my Horizon money turned into Switch money.

I'll check back in with you maybe this summer during the usual game drought.

I'm the exact opposite.I'd rather pay $60 for Horizon and just play Zelda on my WiiU instead of paying $400 just to play one game.

joecanada

From what they've shown it's looking like Witcher 3 with less focus on telling the story "your way", dialogue trees appear to be more about expanding the game lore and exposition than making an impact to the story (could be wrong, but with their lack of focus on branching story paths I doubt there's much of it). Combat is almost a suped up version of Witcher 3s. Big seamless open world (no loading screens in the over world like Dragon Age Inquisition). Has in depth tactical gameplay based on weapon choices and tool crafting, partnered with an action game level moment to moment action. There's also an apparent light emphasis on gear, with many different weapons and armour that can be crafted or bought.
There's only so many RPG elements you can have before your game is an RPG. I'd say Horizon, at this moment in time with our limited information, is as much an RPG as Dragon Age Inquisition and is nothing at all like Zelda in the slightest bit.

Whoa if the game is anything like the Witcher or dragon age I'll be skipping. I was sure it was pure action like a god of war or far cry , hopefully without far cry horrid stories

Loudninja

Yeah the game to me always looked amazing.

Whoa if the game is anything like the Witcher or dragon age I'll be skipping. I was sure it was pure action like a god of war or far cry , hopefully without far cry horrid stories

Well it's got dialogue wheels, tactical decisions in combat and gear. The combat looks to be much closer to a combination of Bloodborne (though more fluid) for the melee (based on the gifs in the story leak thread), and... er... I can't think of a parallel for the ranged... but it looks to be a fast paced TPS style. Maybe a slower Vanquish? (I've only played about half an hour of Vanquish so forgive me if I'm remembering horribly wrong).
I guess it depends on why you disliked the Witcher and Dragon Age. If it's because of the combat then you probably have nothing to worry about. If it's another reason, then I guess you'll have to look into gameplay footage yourself to decide whether it's not to your taste.

T.O.P

Banned
It's a promising game for sure, but Nier: Automata has the priority

Will get it later this summer if it reviews good

jdstorm

Banned
When I think about it Killzone 2 is easily one of the best games to come out from Sony first parties in a long time, easily the best one if you consider SP+MP complete package. Killzone 3 was kinda riddled with being a AAA testing ground for every Sony gimmick at the time (3D, Move) and chasing the CoD market. Shadowfall was possibly rushed for launch. Hopefully Guerilla can show they still are a top tier developer and not a one hit wonder.

Wait are we really crapping on the Killzone series here?

Killzone 3 and Shadowfall are solid 7 or 8/10s with great graphics. Shadowfall especially is unfairly criticized. Probably because many wanted a large open environment shooter. Something that KZSF attempts early before shelving for a much better corridor shooter.

And Aparently KZ2 is even better then those 2 games (I personally couldnt get into it because going back to KZ2 controls in a post Destiny/Splatoon/CoD world for the first time was something i didnt want to deal with)

Still if Horizon has modern controls and Typical GG polish it should be close to an 8 or 9/10. The only thing i'm not personally liking is the cadance of the english dialogue feels wrong. Which is a stupid nitpic.

KodaRuss

I hope it is good. I am really excited for it. Could be Sony's next big franchise if it delivers.

With all of the great games Sony has coming in Q1/Q2 it is the one with the biggest possible audience in the west. Makes sense for them to push the crap out of it

I-hate-u

Quite high remarks when they have had very solid releases as of late. Good for GG, I am a huge fan of their Killzone 2 and 3 games. (Haven't played SF).

Fanuilos

I'm tentatively optimistic. Fortunately with Zelda and Persona 5 I'll probably be set for the spring. This will be an awesome summer game.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Well its an open world action RPG. You talk to people, have dialogue choices, can walk around cities and towns and buy things, craft items and take on missions. So its similar to a game like the Witcher 3 but the emphasis on action gameplay seems to be far larger and from the sounds of it but from the hands on so far, it seems to be doing it far better. That's my big hope is that the robot hunting and other elements are really well done.

Top Bottom