• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Is Struggling With PlayStation 5 Price Due to Costly Parts

FranXico

Dunno if PRO have one. I mean, by the quote I get he really looking for the expensive. Maybe not just strong, but maybe quiet as well. Less loud cooling system are expensive, no?

When I read that I can just think on PRO impact.
I see what you mean. All things considered, that would suggest they aren't being as cheap as usual.

It was easy to get whacked in 2005 when PS3 didnt release until end 2006.

Then PS3 still outsold 360 in the end, despite being a year late and overprized.

Even if XSX would be $100 cheaper, nobody cares about xbox.
$500 won't be a problem for PS5.

what are you smoking? please stop smoking whatever that is lol

Fake

I see what you mean. All things considered, that would suggest they aren't being as cheap as usual.
I mean, expensive can't be a giant plane turbine. I trying to believe they're after a both efficient and quiet cooling, and those on PC today are quite expensive.

Dante83

Banned
I can understand the struggle. They do not want to release a weaker console at a premium price and take an fat L in sales, or release a weaker console at a lower price and take a fat L in profits..

Last edited:
I thought they didn't make a penny on the PS4 when it was launched and comparing the price to what the Pro is now, tech that has been out for years is a stupid comparison. As for the £450 price I think that is OK. But no higher IF it is as powerful as we hope 12tf and with that dev cooling solution. I REALLY HATE how load these PS4 versions have been. It's embarrassing. And if we are getting a new VR headset will there be some VR tech inside which will not come free? I just want a reveal..... I'm getting quite tired of waiting now 😒

Last edited:

Sussoloc

It will probably be $500 and I don't think many people will be suprised by that. And their core target audience won't blink an eye about getting it.
Their target group are the casual gamers and those will do more than blinking if Microsoft comes with a 299 6-7TF Lockhart.
Price > all.

tell me gaf. How is this. Good thing.
When ms was reporting MAUs, people were shitting on MS
I still think this is pathetic the way MS does it, no units numbers at all. However them sample numbers I have seen from Sony still had the total numbers of units, which makes the MAUs relevant as you know what is the potential max number of potential MAUs, etc. MS should note which ones are PC/consoles/mixed.

If Microsoft brings a cheaper console with better specs, a Halo launch title, third party advertising (likely, due to higher specs) at Christmas, Sony is gonna need some pretty major console exclusive games to compete.
I don't think Halo is that relevant anymore. But Sony will need at least a marquee title at some point.

ANIMAL1975

but console fanboys told me we will be getting rtx2080 performance console with a mid range cpu for only 400. and that 450 is just materials cost from what the article implies. doesn't take into account stuff like r&d costs, shipping costs etc etc. would not be surprised if it launched at 600
The 'console fanboys' you know are likely lying to you or wishful thinking. If you paid more attention to the forum and next gen OT, you would known that people who put faith in the 2080 rumors, are actually expecting $499 systems, and even then with $100 loss at launch.

Ya’ll gonna flip out like ya’ll did with the Xbox Series X software sitch or ya’ll gonna be a bunch of hypocrites?
What are you talking about? The all Xseries debate has been around Ms launching (for the first year or two) their first party exclusives on the older systems along with XSX! People against it, think that it cripples next gen titles development (those are the first-day buyers obviously). People like me who buy the systems later on the road, defend it (or at least are grateful) because they can still enjoy those new exclusives on their older systems!
But the article is obviously talking about third party publishers _ Sony already said their exclusives will be PS5 only, that's their policy you like or not, fast transition from last generation (selling the new hardware)! Microsofts approach, is to not lose sales to the bigger install base (selling more software) _ what every third party publisher do in the beginning of a new gen! I thought everyone knew that lol

They'll be a bunch of hypocrites of course. Remember how it was absolutely anti-consumer and evil to charge for online with Xbox Live?

That wasn't s problem anymore when Sony forced then to pay for online when PS4 launched.
Seriously? That's not what i recall, and i was a Psplus subscriber already... Maybe you could share with us your proofs on those 'hypocrites' you know...

Those days might have died when Kutaragi left Sony, I'm personally hoping for a 12TF machine at $500.
Also in typical fashion the degenerate defense force is present, because heaven's forbid we as consumers criticize a company where and when warranted, whoever that company may be.
8d8300c8df.png
Thanks for the degenerate compliment for not agreeing to what you said and quote:

That reads like internal struggle and Sony not knowing what they are doing.
One side gets it, the other side is all about the money...

... and you concluded this from a "people i know told me" article, with no official comments or any kind of confirmation whatsoever.
But hey, (like you said) "one side gets it, the other side is all about the money" _ at least you elucidate us on who's side of the 'degenerate defense forces' you are.

It's gonna be $499 guys. Not ideal but I'm buying one anyway Day One.

MS is in a financial position to do harm to Sony if they decide to loss lead @ $399 as Sony would be forced to lose a lot per unit to stay on par and let's face it Sony doesn't have the financial resources to weather that storm as well. But I'm not sure MS really even wants to harm Sony at this point. With how the market is shifting MS & Sony are going to potentially be more allies than rivals in the not too distant future. I don't think hurting Sony in this way would be worth the small units sold advantage it might give them. And although it helps the consumer with a lower entry point price it reduces Sony's resources to spend on other improvements to the service and game production.

Both selling at $499 makes the most sense.

You really think Nadella would love to give a Phil Spencer a blank check just like that?
Oh yes, infinite war chest.

Why are they so afraid of releasing a $500 consoles?

We arent that broke ffs

If you want a consoles that comparable to modern day PC gaming $500-$600 is the right estimates

Anything bellow that is unsustainable

Last edited:

Esppiral

Sony spending an unusual amount on the PS5 cooling system tells me the PS5 will also be very powerful :) and the "costly parts" also hints to PS5 having good tech

The original Xbox One fills that bill and look how it turned out 😂

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned

We arent that broke ffs

If you want a consoles that comparable to modern day PC gaming $500-$600 is the right estimates

Same can't be said for everyone. And remember the casuals make the numbers.

The fanboys will buy the ps5 even if its an 8tf machine at $600. Not very smart but thats why they're fanboys, no logic.

They can take a little loss and make up for it in plus subscriptions and software. Production gets cheaper after 2 years or so as well iirc. So its not a bad move imo.

Fake

The fanboys will buy the ps5 even if its an 8tf machine at $600. Not very smart but thats why they're fanboys, no logic.
This 'logic' apply to every loyal company around the world dude... Apple, Samsung, Nintendo, Sony...

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
These same component shortages and cost hikes apply just the same to MS, so if they are planning on out-speccing PS5 their pricing may be being impacted even more harshly.

To be truthful though I doubt MS cares that much about Series X pricing, I mean when did they ever talk about anything but power in the messaging thus far? And in the end all they really care about is selling GamePass subscriptions, who's purpose is served supremely well by raising the base price of consoles to new levels.

Fake

I don't think so or do you know any toaster / refrigerator brand fanboys?

I guess people are putting more effort in console war bait rather than the past around smartphones and consoles previous release. Happens with base PS4 first users (slim is more small, cheap, less heat), happens with Xbox One first users (Xbox One S is more small, not expensive, rip kinect), happens with Nintendo Switch first users (mix bag battery life, dock problems)...

Remember Google selling expensive tablet/smartphone running Android 5.0 Lollipop?

Last edited:

Woodchipper

If Sony find themselves in the same position as Microsoft did with the OG Xbone - worse specs at same/higher price - they’ll lose the momentum that carried the PS4.
If Microsoft brings a cheaper console with better specs, a Halo launch title, third party advertising (likely, due to higher specs) at Christmas, Sony is gonna need some pretty major console exclusive games to compete.
Everyone who played Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War knows that sequels are coming on PS5. Then there’s Gran Turismo, which always sells millions. So no, they will not quite be in the same position Microsoft was in with OG Xbox One.

Sussoloc

I guess people are putting more effort in console war bait rather than the past around smartphones and consoles previous release. Happens with base PS4 first users, happens with Xbox One first users, happens with Nintendo Switch first users...
I think smartphones, cars, consoles and sport teams have the most fanboys where rational arguments don't count.

hunthunt

Banned
Videogames "press" is the only kind of journalism where any random non disclosed source with an unconfirmed rumour can be used as a serious source for an article almost confirming news.

lol

Fake

I think smartphones, cars, consoles and sport teams have the most fanboys where rational arguments don't count.
Still trying to understand your point. Early adopters are far more common than people think and thats ok. They do what they want with their money. I don't usally get the console day one, but if don't company can't make better revision system. You can only get feedback when people use your god damn product.

Sussoloc

Everyone who played Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War knows that sequels are coming on PS5. Then there’s Gran Turismo, which always sells millions. So no, they will not quite be in the same position Microsoft was in with OG Xbox One.
Doesn't matter that much. Casuals only play their Call of Duty, GTA, RDR, Fortnite and so on. The best selling PS4 exclusive game was bought by i think 15% of the PS4 owners and most of them were core gamer. Core gamer will pay a good price for a new console, casuals go by price.

Last edited:

Sussoloc

Still trying to understand your point. Early adopters are far more common than people think and thats ok. They do what they want with their money. I don't usally get the console day one, but if don't company can't make better revision system. You can only get feedback when people use your god damn product.
My point is the same as SleepDoctors: Fanboys are not very smart.

sublimit

Banned
I see a lot of assumptions and opinions in the OP but no official information that backs up those assumptions. Why is this tagged as "news" again?

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

We arent that broke ffs

You really don't understand it? Because the higher the console price, the more likely people will jump ship. They don't care about the first five million they sell. They could price PS5 at 800 and people like you would buy it. But you aren't what makes the platform a success. PS4 offered the best performance at the best price. That was a once in a lifetime fluke. Next gen will have completely different baselines. The cheapest console will be XSS. The most powerful probably XSX. Sony sits in the middle and neither. They lose to those that want to play the best versions of multiplatform games (because 90 % of all games sold on PS4 are just that) and they lose to those that want to get an affordable next gen console. Chances are high that if you can't afford a $400 console you can't afford a 4KTV either. So XSS takes that spot at 1080p.

And then you have streaming. Price your console too high and people might think that Stadia is not too bad. It's free for 1080p after all. Sony needs to keep all that in mind and find the best price for them. And it looks like they designed a 399 console that is now becoming too expensive. Why? Because why would you change what works? PS4 was 399. It's their sweet spot. You don't come out of an epic generation and pretend that you need the power crown or something like that to sell. That's the mindset of the losers of a generation.

This is all great and genuinely interesting.. but i just can't help wrapping my mind around the sheer amount of natural materials going in to all these chips and components.. i predict there will be a backlash against the computer hardware/console/phone industry in the next 10 years, i think we might not be far away from the last console generation as we know it.. i predict one day they might start releasing consoles as kind of frameworks for plug in hardware, or somesuch

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Ya’ll gonna flip out like ya’ll did with the Xbox Series X software sitch or ya’ll gonna be a bunch of hypocrites?
This is likely referring to the many 3rd party crossgen titles that launch with every new console. We know PS5 will have PS5 exclusives day one

With moore's law basically coming to a stand still, this cycle will last much longer. Baby steps now.
Is there a type-oh somewhere in there?

Mm i think Moore's Law is going to run into a wall of ecological imperatives at some point~ or, at least, something elsewhere in the chain of supply will feel the pressure~

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
Hey Sony, it's so obviously simple: $555,55 (five times the number five) for the PS5. You rocked this gen, have some self confidence.

Last edited:

fallingdove

Sony’s is in big trouble next gen. They’re not going to get gifted a huge head start by Microsoft due to pricing discrepancy. $100 cheaper was a free win at launch and they learned from it when they got whacked by the Xbox 360 in 2005.
Pricing is one of many factors. You have to remember that the Xbox brand means something between barely anything and nothing for most of the world.

Shin

Banned
You're welcome yet brought that upon yourself, post after post, thread after thread.
If you bothered to read the article you might have came to the conclusion that I'm referring to things within Sony itself, it has jackshit to do with an external party/brand.
It proves the point I initially made so thanks for re-affirming what I initially said.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Sony should do anything possible to not price at $500, because consoles historically do not sell at that price. And they know it, especially after last gen. That's why they are struggling right now - they need to get the price down!

This is why consoles will always be limited, the first priority isn't to make some super powerful box but make an affordable, attractive, and easy to use console that people will buy. It is why these consoles, while they might be more balanced than last gen, still are limited by market realities.

Last edited:
Top Bottom