• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Issues Statement on COVID-19

Inviusx

Sony estimates that there will be no impact on Game & Network Services segment for the current fiscal year.

Game and Network would be software and networking, PS5 would fall under this:

Electronics Products & Solutions Segment
  • In addition to the shutdown of Sony's manufacturing plants in Malaysia, the flow of resources from suppliers in Asia has become unstable, having a wide-ranging impact on the manufacturing of goods in this segment.
  • Sales of Sony's products are also being affected by lockdowns around the world and retailer closings.
So yeah, PS5 manufacturing is affected.

Last edited:

The Shepard

And movie industry is also not affected?

Cinema definitely is affected. Disney + launched at a good time in the UK for Disney. Bet they got loads of subs.

Can anyone still see the PS5 still releasing this year? If it is I'd pre order right away as stock may be seriously low.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
Related and unrelated - they've split the company up from what made them Sony (audio, tv's, phones).
Camera lenses which is profitable doesn't fall under that, neither does PlayStation - so basically the sectors that weren't as profitable anymore.

sublimit

Banned
Game and Network would be software and networking, PS5 would fall under this:

Electronics Products & Solutions Segment
  • In addition to the shutdown of Sony's manufacturing plants in Malaysia, the flow of resources from suppliers in Asia has become unstable, having a wide-ranging impact on the manufacturing of goods in this segment.
  • Sales of Sony's products are also being affected by lockdowns around the world and retailer closings.
So yeah, PS5 manufacturing is affected.
I'm pretty sure they are talking about the manufacturing of physical copies and PS4 consoles and that the temporary closure of retailers will affect availability of PS4 products. Has nothing to do with PS5.

God Speed, Sony
t51i6oS.png

Aion002

When I was like 5 years old I remember I used to believe that if I wished it strong enough, the toy I wanted would just appear on the side of my bed.

Me too.

The power of materialization always caught my interest in entertainment (comics and others), it's so unbelievable and immature, but at the same time so fascinating... I believe that everybody once thougt/wished something like that.

And even when authors tries to rationalize...

It keeps being extremely silly.

I am gonna close my eyes and when I open there will be the thing I want right in front of me....

It never works but eh... 50/50 right. :messenger_grinning_sweat: :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_squinting_tongue:

Anyways... I hope they can release the Ps5 this year... But I doubt it.

Last edited:

DrAspirino

Banned

Sony estimates that there will be no impact on Game & Network Services segment for the current fiscal year.
Damage and panic control that much?

Let's face it: every single company on the planet is being affected by the covid-19 pandemic. Some are going bankrupt, some are wheathering this however they can (most barely surviving) and others are faced with the undeniable fact that they have to change their bussiness model if they want to survive.

Heck, even tech giants like Google are losing a lot of revenue from ads because of the covid-19 crisis: less bussinesses running = less bussinesses paying for ads = less revenues for Google.

Sony's press release was just to keep people (and more importantly, investors) calm. We all know it's bullshit, but hey... in turbulent times, people and investors cling to anything.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
These things happen and right now closing a portion of their offices was the right move by SONY it helps that a majority of the work can be done from peoples homes.

yurinka

I assume that the decrease in retail sales will be compensated by the increase in digital games and services caused for being everyone locked at home.

Top Bottom