• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Land over? 360 #1 console in the UK

I don't want to overkill here but remember UK is only one territory in Europe, and doesnt make up more than about 30% of the market iirc (anyone got specific numbers?)

So it's likely PSP is doing something like 65k a week in Europe, which is like 260k~ a month. Dont want to bring outside markets into a Chart-Track thread but combining US+JP+EU PSP is likely going to add another 600k+ userbase worlwide in November.

Not bad, its really good news in my opinion to see PSP still having healthy sales, and with Nintendo's monopoly being over (notice the market share for Nintendo in UK is only about 70-75% when it once was 97-99%), competition continues to push the market forward as more handhelds are being sold total.

Although, one could argue DS is likely to sell that much(600k) in just one territory in a couple weeks, but that doesnt mean PSP numbers are pure shite.Honestly i dont think anyone could have expected more in Sony's first attempt at a handheld.

Cactus Jack said:
I don't want to overkill here but remember UK is only one territory in Europe, and doesnt make up more than about 30% of the market iirc (anyone got specific numbers?)

So it's likely PSP is doing something like 65k a week in Europe, which is like 260k~ a month. Dont want to bring outside markets into a Chart-Track thread but combining US+JP+EU PSP is likely going to add another 600k+ userbase worlwide in November.

Not bad, its really good news in my opinion to see PSP still having healthy sales, and with Nintendo's monopoly being over (notice the market share for Nintendo in UK is only about 70-75% when it once was 97-99%), competition continues to push the market forward as more handhelds are being sold total.

Although, one could argue DS is likely to sell that much(600k) in just one territory in a couple weeks, but that doesnt mean PSP numbers are pure shite.Honestly i dont think anyone could have expected more in Sony's first attempt at a handheld.

x_x

Owzers

Cactus Jack said:

Except for Sony. Something about a handheld gaming ghetto comes to mind :lol Gran Turismo Portable Kller Ap!!!!!!! Believe!

Coop

Cactus Jack said:

I think I'm going to throwup from all of this spinning.

Striek

Wow, its very surprising that the X360 outsold the PS2. Very, very surprising. That bodes very well for the X360 in EU. The numbers seem very low all around, at least DS considering Nintendos PR releases, PSTwo would make this the worst November by an almost inconceivable margin for the system. I await confirmation.

The source btw is probably teamxbox - http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=490224

mj1108

Cactus Jack said:

Mono, I'm sure you remember all of those threads and replies back when the PSP launched....

Now we need a mod/admin to change his name to Mono.

Jammy

Banned
Cactus Jack said:

Umm... tell me why market share matters (especially for Nintendo's sake) when they're reportedly selling more handhelds then they ever have before?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
davepoobond said:
its selling more than ps3 in europe, at least.

So would a flaming bag of dog poo with the word "Microsoft" on it. :p

Striek said:
Wow, its very surprising that the X360 outsold the PS2. Very, very surprising. That bodes very well for the X360 in EU. The numbers seem very low all around, at least DS considering Nintendos PR releases, PSTwo would make this the worst November by an almost inconceivable margin for the system. I await confirmation.

The source btw is probably teamxbox - http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=490224
I got curious and took a peak at the Motorstorm thread, those are some sad sad people. It literally hurt my head reading that thread, makes gamefaqs look unbiased.

BamYouHaveAids said:
I got curious and took a peak at the Motorstorm thread, those are some sad sad people. It literally hurt my head reading that thread, makes gamefaqs look unbiased.

What motorstorm thread?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
what MS don't want you to know is their console is only selling 20-25k units in europe a week... oh wait.

vantastic

i love all these "sony is doomed" threads. they're so ridiculous.
davepoobond said:
i would buy 3. who wouldn't buy prepackaged dog poo?
this coming from the guy with poo in his name :lol

westical said:
You expected posters at teamxbox to be unbiased? WTF?
No, but to say Full Auto technically and visually destroys Motorstrom and to say it is "probably more fun because it has guns" isn't biased, it's retarded.

Dizzy

Banned
Places like GAME now offer a 360 + Gears + Any other game for £299, and most stores have similar deals. It's not surprising that it's selling well now.

There still seems to be a lot of interest for PS3 though so I wouldn't count Sony out yet.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Dizzy said:
Places like GAME now offer a 360 + Gears + Any other game for £299, and most stores have similar deals. It's not surprising that it's selling well now.
Which is why I'd like to see what the sales are now like in Canada because of the great deals we're getting also.

Dizzy said:

There still seems to be a lot of interest for PS3 though so I wouldn't count Sony out yet.

Theyre giving out several games for free with the console?

Dizzy

Banned
gamergirly said:
360 Premium costs £279, so this is like getting Gears of war and another game for £20.

I got mine with Gears & Smackdown at Gamestation for £299, Gears premium = £50 and Smackdown = £40, so that's £20 for what should b £90. Plus they then let you choose any other game in the store for £20, so that's saving another £20-£30 on a third game :)

£110 - £120 cheaper than it should be. As much as people want the PS3, I think 360 is really going to start doing strongly now due to these deals. The same happened with xbox...it flopped in its first month and was competing with cube up until Christmas, but then prices dropped and new deals came along and it became impossible to resist.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
gamergirly said:
It doesn't surprise me, Canadians can get 4 free games (GRAW, XBLA Unplugged, RR6, Far Cry) with it.

gamergirly said:

Its bundle deals and they always arrive this time of year with every console. You can get a dsl plus 2 games for £109 most places, and there is a ps2 deal with like singstar and buzz game and a bunch of other shit for £99. They really push good deals this time of year in the uk, i would love to see the sources for these does this include every store as i doubt argos one of the biggest stores here will give out numbers to people. The dsl will destroy anything this christmas well maybe the wii as that will sell out but dsl is being pimped so much i have bought 5 so far for pressies.

quetz67

Banned
With UK being about 33-50% of the european xbox maket we have monthly european sales of 200k-300k, at least 2-3x as much as that Sony guy said.

lynux3 said:
Sony is doomed because Xbox 360 is getting decent sales in the UK around holiday season! ZOMG! :lol

Well you can look at it as lost sales. The uk isnt rich and i doubt alot of mainstream buyers would own two high cost games consoles. Not many mainstream buyers will be ready to pony up best part of £600 for the ps3 so soon after xmas. Infact once they sell out to the ps fans i can see it struggling at the high price in the uk until a price cut or two.

----

Banned
I don't understand people complaining about the thread title.

When someone says something is the top console in the market I don't think they're talking about a handheld system, I assume they're talking about a home console.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
---- said:
I don't understand people complaining about the thread title.

When someone says something is the top console in the market I don't think they're talking about a handheld system, I assume they're talking about a home console.

we were complaining about the thread title when it said "#1 seller"

the title was changed.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
davepoobond said:
so sue me, i was bored and lonely.

=(

Maybe you wouldn't be if you didn't freak out so much.

Did you ever think of that, Dave? DID YOU?!!

123rl

I work in a games shop (fairly small town) and this is pretty much representative of what our hardware sales are like. XBox360 sells about 3-4 consoles a day, and about 10-12 at the weekend. The DS Lite though...it sells about 10 a day! Seriously :lol We sold 35 between Tuesday and Thursday last week. We got 75 pink DS Lites in stock and sold them all in two weeks. Then we got a restock of 25...last one was sold yesterday!

Even with the Wii and Xbox360, the DS Lite has completely owned Christmas this year. It'll outsell both consoles combined IMO

Top Bottom