• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony leaks Dark Cloud PS2 for PS4

no discs mean i'll never get to play any slightly obscure ps2 game.

no ps2 classics means i've wasted money before.

this is the worst scenario.

Dredd97

Give me an enhanced dark cloud 2 / dark chronicle so I can take Steve out for one last adventure!

(also FF XII and rogue galaxy please!!)..

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I'll still love my 60gb PS3 more than my PS4.

No. All Blu-ray drive lasers can read CDs. Sony just doesn't want to pay the licensing. It would only take a firmware update.

Didn't Sony invent the compact disc? So it would have to pay licensing to itself?

oh thats a shame but not the end of the world

I usually sell all my games and stuff of old systems anyways

good stuff though i'm sure these classics will make people happy
Lol...too much sense and reasonableness, almost looks out of place. The reaction most gamers will have likely to this news, but GAf gonna Gaf.

Anyway, here's a list of games I hope will get the remaster upres treatment since I think they aged well.

Dark Cloud Series
Star Ocean Ps2 titles
Tales of ps2 titles
Sly, Jak, Ratchet titles
Kingdom Hearts 1&2
Mark of Kri
Primal
Rival Schools
Dragon Quest 8
MGS PS2 series
GTA ps2 series

I dunno what Sony is doing here though exactly. Some of the most popular titles seem to be getting actual disc based remasters and i would assume they are successful from the frequency. So do I want a new version of R&C up you arsenal or just get the PS3 collection ported to ps4? Interesting to see where this goes really.

Monas

None of that has anything to do with discs themselves not working. I feel like people don't actually understand anything about optical media in this thread sometimes - hint: if you think a PS4 is incapable of reading a PS2 disc, you are VERY wrong.

It's not like your average joe can prove that the PS4 architecture can handle proper PS2 emulation on a 1:1 scale so whether it can read the disc or not is irrelevant.

Actually I don't think PS4 can read PS2 disks, since PS2 uses CAV and all BDs use CLV and to use them both requires H/W alternations, hence the 60GB phat PS3 had two usable laser mechanisms.

Anyway, IMHO the quote about PS4 can't read ps2 disks and can't run PS2 classics out of the box, is just stating the obvious. Time for solutions then. Let us see.

Well, I hope they ditch 1 ps3 and vita game for 2 classics... (PS Plus)

Edit: I really hope Shadow Hearts series, DQVIII and Xenosaga are coming or this will be shit for me.

Krakn3Dfx

The dream is dead

w6bMVkp.png

Figured as much, they can keep it.

BelGT3GCEAAni_N.jpg

Krakn3Dfx

People were actually expecting true backwards compatibility? lol

Wasn't expecting it, but it's just one more thing Sony has done since the PS4 announcement in a valiant attempt to burn up the good will they're rebuilt with their veteran PlayStation fanbase.

Shit like this is what keeps pushing me back to the PC whenever I buy a game if at all possible.

So not only will my PS2 disc do nothing, but the second digital copy I purchased on PS3 will also do nothing? That is incredibly disheartening. This feels like the danger of Sony having a majority share of the console market again. If they were down, they would have played this hand very differently, but unfortunately the mindset seems to be, "We're the market leader, so we don't have the need to be consumer-friendly right now."

What's most surprising is the stark contrast between this and the way that Microsoft handled 360 compatibility just this year.

Taker34

Banned
So not only will my PS2 disc do nothing, but the second digital copy I purchased on PS3 will also do nothing? That is incredibly disheartening. This feels like the danger of Sony having a majority share of the console market again. If they were down, they would have played this hand very differently, but unfortunately the mindset seems to be, "We're the market leader, so we don't have the need to be consumer-friendly right now."

What's most surprising is the stark contrast between this and the way that Microsoft handled 360 compatibility just this year.

Nice edit. So No PS2 BC -> cocky Sony is back? Smh.

There are much worse things than this. Especially when you can fire up your old consoles or PCSX2 on PC any time.

I remember pulling out my old PS2, plopped in Dark Cloud 2, and then played it for an hour. Man, those nostalgia goggles are something fierce.

Top Bottom