• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony @ Leipzig - Conference Thread

Tntnnbltn

Quasar said:
Hell...why not just include those tracks on the Singstore. Or will they?
Because the licensing for online songs is different (and presumably more expensive, harder to get) than the licensing for disc versions.

Goldrusher

gc2008_34.jpg

gc2008_35.jpg

gc2008_36.jpg

gc2008_37.jpg

gc2008_38.jpg

gc2008_39.jpg

gc2008_40.jpg

gc2008_41.jpg

gc2008_42.jpg

gc2008_43.jpg

gc2008_44.jpg

gc2008_45.jpg

gc2008_46.jpg

gc2008_47.jpg

gc2008_48.jpg

gc2008_49.jpg

gc2008_50.jpg

gc2008_51.jpg

gc2008_52.jpg

gc2008_53.jpg

gc2008_54.jpg

gc2008_55.jpg

source: http://community.eu.playstation.com...sage?board.id=b_FR_Lepizig_blog&thread.id=298

Dizzan

MINI Member
So from those pics, Europe/Australia won't be getting Video Downloads until Q3 2009??

It should be expected though, SCEA monkeys.

thuway

For God sakes Sony, release a wireless mic.
Day 1- Day fucking 1- Disney Singstar.

I'm actually pretty amped about Sony's upcoming lineup. A PSP that will be hack-proof (I hate you morons who don't pay for your Crisis of Olympus Roccos), a 160gb high end model that is actually pushing Uncharted, and Heavy RAIN!

For some reason I am beginning to believe that 3 Billion dollar loss can now be signifcantly reduced. Imagine the insane amounts of units sold on Singstar, combined with LBP, a Playstation 3 with the 65nm Cell / RSX, and the immortality of PS2 sales this Holiday season.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So wait, is Singstar Queen refering to Freddie Mercury's Queen?

Cos if so I may just have to finally get Singstar.

edit - wait, Queen is for PS2?

Does the PS3 store have queen music?

MadFuzzy

gofreak said:
So wait, is Singstar Queen refering to Freddie Mercury's Queen?

Cos if so I may just have to finally get Singstar.

edit - wait, Queen is for PS2?

Does the PS3 store have queen music?

They were talking about Queen song packs for the Singstore. There are already several Queen songs on the PAL Singstore:

Breakthru
Don't Stop Me Now
A Kind of Magic
Radio Ga Ga
The Show Must Go On

The new song packs will include We Are The Champions and Bohemian Rhapsody (amongst others).

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Sony just keeps on not getting it. I don't give a flying fuck about hdd space. I want the system to be cheaper and include bc. the drive size is not exactly what I've been holding out buying a PS3 for. smh

Goldrusher

Full games announced at GC:

PS3

- SingStar Vol. 3
David Bowie - Space Oddity
Gwen Stefani feat. Akon - The Sweet Escape
Amy MacDonald - This is the Life
Timbaland feat Keri Hilson - The Way I are
Leo Sawyer - You make me feel like dancing
Lionel Richie - All night long
Timbaland feat OneRepublic - Apologize
Kate Bush - Babooshka
Fergie - Big Girls don´t cry
Micheal Jackson - Billie Jean
Deep Blue Something - Breakfast at Tiffany´s
Barry Manilow - Copacabana
Take That - Could it be Magic
Aerosmith - Cryin´
Dizzee Rascal feat. Calvin Harris & Chrome - Dance Wiv Me
Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder - Ebony And Ivory
Queen - Killer Queen
Sara Bareilles - Love Song
Texas - Say What you want
The Ting Tings - Shut Up and Let me Go​
- SingStar Queen

PS2

- SingStar Singalong with Disney
Aladdin - A Whole New World
The Jungle Book - The Bare Necessities
Toy Story - You Got A Friend In Me
The Little - Mermaid Under The Sea
Pinocchio - When You Wish Upon A Star
& more​

- SingStar Turkish Party (exclusively in Germany)
Alisan - Olay Bitmiftir Ankarali Namik: Hovarda
Burcu Günes - Cile Bülbülüm
Demet Akalin - Tatil
Ferda Anil Yarkin - Ayrilmayalim
Ferdi Tayfur - Cicekler Acsin
Gülben Ergen - Süpriz
Gülsen - Of Of
Gündogarken - Elimde Olsaydi
Hande Yener - Kirmizi
Ibrahim Tatlises - Agri Dagin Eteginde
Kargo - Ates Ve Su
Kayahan - Feninle Her Seye Varim Ben
Kenan Dogulu - Bas Harfi Ben
Kutsi - Sana Ne
Meyra - : Efendim
Mor Ve Ötsi - Cambaz
Muazzez Ersoy - Emanet
Murat Boz - Püf
Mustafa Sandal - Indir
Mustafa Sandal - Isyankar
Öykü & Berk - Evlerinin Önü Boyal
Rober Hatemo - Senden Cok Var
Seda Sayan - Bebegim
Sezen Aksu - Sarki Söylemek Lazim
Tarkan - Kuzu Kuzu
Tarkan - Simarik
Teoman & Sezen Aksu - Paratarca
Yildiz Tilbe - Ben Senin Var Ya
Yurtfeven Kardefler - Simdi Halay Zamani​

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
MadFuzzy said:
They were talking about Queen song packs for the Singstore. There are already several Queen songs on the PAL Singstore:

Breakthru
Don't Stop Me Now
A Kind of Magic
Radio Ga Ga
The Show Must Go On

The new song packs will include We Are The Champions and Bohemian Rhapsody (amongst others).

Hmmm...thank you... might have to see if I can pick it up cheaply (if i can!)

Darunia said:
Sony just keeps on not getting it. I don't give a flying fuck about hdd space. I want the system to be cheaper and include bc. the drive size is not exactly what I've been holding out buying a PS3 for. smh
I don't think you get it. Sony are focusing on trying to be profitable right now. Spending a few extra bucks on a slightly bigger HDD costs them a lot less than it would to do a price drop.

MadFuzzy

Goldrusher said:
PS2
- SingStar Queen

There's no specific mention of a PS2 Singstar Queen game in any of Sony's Leipzig PR, only the song packs.

This is probably the media misreporting the logo that they came up with to promote the Singstore Queen song packs as a game.

Cruzader

Banned
Darunia said:

I think you are the one not getting it. They clearly dont care about BC ever since they introduced the 80GB w/partial BC. I'm pretty sure they are increasing the HDD space to accommodate the fact that users will need more space for music/movies/PSN DLs. PS2 keeps selling and they cant compete with its own hardware thus no BC.

I really understand what you feel but I felt the same way too. I really wanted a 60GB PS3 just to have full(tho technically impossible) BC BUT I ended getting an 80GB and guess what? I dont play any of my PS2 games. Matter of fact, I feel i cant play them any more due to its last gen tech. Any how I believe If you were to get a non BC PS3, you'd prolly be fine.

Goldrusher

MadFuzzy said:
There's no specific mention of a PS2 Singstar Queen game in any of Sony's Leipzig PR, only the song packs.

Fixed it.

It is listed on the SCEE press site as a "PS3" though, and not PSN like for example the Fallen Star Warhawk add-on.

MadFuzzy

Goldrusher said:
It is listed on the SCEE press site as a "PS3" though, and not PSN like for example the Fallen Star Warhawk add-on.

Yeah, they seem to be a bit random in classifying PS3 titles on the press site (Wipeout HD is listed as a PS3 game rather than a PSN one for example).

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Cruzader said:
I think you are the one not getting it. They clearly dont care about BC ever since they introduced the 80GB w/partial BC. I'm pretty sure they are increasing the HDD space to accommodate the fact that users will need more space for music/movies/PSN DLs. PS2 keeps selling and they cant compete with its own hardware thus no BC.

I really understand what you feel but I felt the same way too. I really wanted a 60GB PS3 just to have full(tho technically impossible) BC BUT I ended getting an 80GB and guess what? I dont play any of my PS2 games. Matter of fact, I feel i cant play them any more due to its last gen tech. Any how I believe If you were to get a non BC PS3, you'd prolly be fine.

Meh, I compare it to the past. The PS2 was fully BC, it's a feature I love. I can get rid of the old system and now there's an advantage with the upscaling. I already have two ps2's here, I could get at least get rid of my PAL one. They had bc and they dropped it, which is lame.

Why am I the one who's 'not getting it'? When Sony decides they don't care about BC anymore, suddenly they're off the hook? It's a feature Sony nailed before and now they're letting it slip. It sucks.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Holy Crap, did I read that correctly?

41 million PSP's sold
14 million PS3's sold with Europe taking 5.8 million of that.

Pretty good for the PSP, and the PS3 is doing slightly better than I expected.

thuway

Darunia said:
Meh, I compare it to the past. The PS2 was fully BC, it's a feature I love. I can get rid of the old system and now there's an advantage with the upscaling. I already have two ps2's here, I could get at least get rid of my PAL one. They had bc and they dropped it, which is lame.

Why am I the one who's 'not getting it'? When Sony decides they don't care about BC anymore, suddenly they're off the hook? It's a feature Sony nailed before and now they're letting it slip. It sucks.
Hasn't this topic been beaten to death? Just let it fucking go. I don't get people. First they complain its too expensive, than they complain it lacks features, and finally they don't want it when they make compromises. You know Sony is losing money on the hardware, you know its financially disastrous to add components in, and you know there is a THREE BILLION dollar black hole that needs to be closed.

Sony CANNOT afford it. I know its popular to rag on Sony, but I think the financial reports have spoken loud and clear. Stringer is right. Profitability over price cuts. Thats the sensible and responsible thing to do. If the trends and sales go the way they are going, than in about a years worth of time you can say hello to the price cut. However, currently, every single penny made on the PS3 needs to be held onto for dear life.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Hcoregamer00 said:

41 million PSP's sold

PSP hardware sales have always been good. It's the software sales that's killing it.

Lord Phol

akachan ningen said:
I don't think you get it. Sony are focusing on trying to be profitable right now. Spending a few extra bucks on a slightly bigger HDD costs them a lot less than it would to do a price drop.

No he's right, because I'm thinking the same exact thing and have been ever since we ran out of 60gbs (which didn't take long), most of us never got a chance really. The HDD is even easily replaceable, so I don't giva a flying batshit if it has Oooooh 20gb more storage or what not, just give me fucking PS2 backward comtability so I have something to rely on once my PStwo kicks the bucket (which it will do eventually).
Now I've learned that Sony doesn't give a flying batshit either about what we want as long as there are other idiots buying their shit, even as they continue to remove more and more of the fuinctionalities of the machine.

Wether or not I purchase a PS3 now is up for debate, but I do know that waiting for BC to come back is as futile as bathing in ur own piss dressed like the green power ranger singing the national hymn of denmark, in the hopes u will somehow discover the meaning of life.

Either way, Sony doesn't understand shit, becuase they don't care shit as long as the money keeps rolling in. It was the same thing with the removal of dual shock (and we all know what a great idea that was). Being cheap can only get you so far Sony.

Mantorok

Hcoregamer00 said:

41 million PSP's sold

Me too, by the impressions of some people It was as if the PS3 was practically doomed.

It would seem not, and this sales-rate is higher than the 360 and given the price difference between the 2 MS could end up being last this gen.

Hcoregamer00

Laguna X said:
PSP hardware sales have always been good. It's the software sales that's killing it.

Very true, hopefully the "Pandora Proof" PSP will increase legitimate sales.

Edit: Yes, I love custom firmware as the next person, but I know that there are some people out there abusing it to make the rest of us look bad.

zoku88

Hcoregamer00 said:
Very true, hopefully the "Pandora Proof" PSP will increase legitimate sales.

Edit: Yes, I love custom firmware as the next person, but I know that there are some people out there abusing it to make the rest of us look bad.
Darn, you edited :(

I still want to be able to install CFW on it, if I ever get one (which is ... if they announce a white one.)

Hcoregamer00

Lord Phol said:
No he's right, because I'm thinking the same exact thing and have been ever since we ran out of 60gbs (which didn't take long), most of us never got a chance really. The HDD is even easily replaceable, so I don't giva a flying batshit if it has Oooooh 20gb more storage or what not, just give me fucking PS2 backward comtability so I have something to rely on once my PStwo kicks the bucket (which it will do eventually).
Now I've learned that Sony doesn't give a flying batshit either about what we want as long as there are other idiots buying their shit, even as they continue to remove more and more of the fuinctionalities of the machine.

Wether or not I purchase a PS3 now is up for debate, but I do know that waiting for BC to come back is as futile as bathing in ur own piss dressed like the green power ranger sining tha national hymn of denmark, in the hope u will somehow discover the meaning of life.

Either way, Sony doesn't understand shit, becuase they don't care shit as long as the money rolls in. Was the same thing with the removal of dual shock (and we all know what a great idea that was). Being cheap can only get you so far Sony.

If you wanted BC, you should have bought the console at a premium so that you could have sent Sony a clear message that you wanted BC.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
thuway said:
Hasn't this topic been beaten to death? Just let it fucking go. I don't get people. First they complain its too expensive, than they complain it lacks features, and finally they don't want it when they make compromises. You know Sony is losing money on the hardware, you know its financially disastrous to add components in, and you know there is a THREE BILLION dollar black hole that needs to be closed.

Sony CANNOT afford it. I know its popular to rag on Sony, but I think the financial reports have spoken loud and clear. Stringer is right. Profitability over price cuts. Thats the sensible and responsible thing to do. If the trends and sales go the way they are going, than in about a years worth of time you can say hello to the price cut. However, currently, every single penny made on the PS3 needs to be held onto for dear life.

I couldn't care less about Sony's financial situation and what they can or cannot afford to put in their systems. I know it probably won't return for a long time. I'm talking about the general concept: they had a feature people loved and now they cut it. There are probably good reasons why BC is gone, but that doesn't mean it somehow sucks less.

Cruzader

Banned
Lord Phol said:

Wether or not I purchase a PS3 now is up for debate, but I do know that waiting for BC to come back is as futile as bathing in ur own piss dressed like the green power ranger singing the national hymn of denmark, in the hopes u will somehow discover the meaning of life.

Either way, Sony doesn't understand shit, becuase they don't care shit as long as the money keeps rolling in. It was the same thing with the removal of dual shock (and we all know what a great idea that was). Being cheap can only get you so far Sony.

Not for nothing but you can go to the Buy/Sell thread and get a 60GB PS3 for ~400 or less shipped. And you know whats hypocritical about your post? you say sony is cheap about this this and that...well you are too for not getting a full BC PS3 when you had the chance.

Redd

thuway said:

Yeah it has but I agree with Darunia. Some people just can't afford spending alot of money on their hobbies and they expected like previous generations that if they waited they would pretty much get the same console at a cheaper price. Not like I can talk because I didn't grab one at launch when it was so expensive but when it dropped below $400 I eventually grabbed my PS3. I can understand why many are upset that Sony is taking out PS2 BC but understand why Sony decided to take it out. Good business move for Sony(don't really care how much they lose myself), and bad move for gamers that enjoy playing some older games alot without having to have multiple consoles hooked up. One of the big reasons that the PS2 was so successful was because you pretty much had the whole PS1 library to enjoy with the newer PS2 games, at least imo.

Oh and I pity many of you that can't seem to go back to playing previous gen games. Shit I still play many PS1 games on my PS3 and at least thankful Sony kept that as standard in all PS3 units.:D

*Hugs 60gb model tightly.

Lord Phol

Cruzader said:
Not for nothing but you can go to the Buy/Sell thread and get a 60GB PS3 for ~400 or less shipped. And you know whats hypocritical about your post? you say sony is cheap about this this and that...well you are too for not getting a full BC PS3 when you had the chance.

That's a good advice actually, though like I stated I've given up caring about that. Might just buy the 80GB when it arrives here in Sweden
But really, explain to me how in heaven's name I should have known that they would remove it? Thinking it was quite a fundemental feature, surely it was there to stay, I was wrong.
If I HAD known though, then sure I would probably have tried harder getting my hands on one, and I actually had planned on owning a PS3 not far off from launch. But sometimes your economy just doesn't agree with you. So I waited a little longer, and before I knew it they were all sold out, and BC no longer an option.

There's a difference between beeing cheap and poor, Sony's a millions worth of company, I'm not.

Sorry for derailing the thread. Thumbs up for an otherwise pretty decent presentation.

RpgN

Lord Phol said:
But really, explain to me how in heaven's name I should have known that they would remove it? Thinking it was quite a fundemental feature, surely it was there to stay, I was wrong.
If I HAD known though, then sure I would probably have tried harder getting my hands on one, and I actually had planned on owning a PS3 not far off from launch. But sometimes your economy just doesn't agree with you. So I waited a little longer, and before I knew it they were all sold out, and BC no longer an option.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Sony did announce the BC model to disappear and the 40gb model was the new standard. They also said they were going to discount the old models. I bought mine the day the pricedrop came on 10 october 2007. The way I see it, sony gave chance the hardcore gamers to buy a bc model and then introduced the new model for casual players who don't care about bc.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Goldrusher said:
Full games announced at GC:

PS3

- SingStar Vol. 3
David Bowie - Space Oddity
Gwen Stefani feat. Akon - The Sweet Escape
Amy MacDonald - This is the Life
Timbaland feat Keri Hilson - The Way I are
Leo Sawyer - You make me feel like dancing
Lionel Richie - All night long
Timbaland feat OneRepublic - Apologize
Kate Bush - Babooshka
Fergie - Big Girls don´t cry
Micheal Jackson - Billie Jean
Deep Blue Something - Breakfast at Tiffany´s
Barry Manilow - Copacabana
Take That - Could it be Magic
Aerosmith - Cryin´
Dizzee Rascal feat. Calvin Harris & Chrome - Dance Wiv Me
Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder - Ebony And Ivory
Queen - Killer Queen
Sara Bareilles - Love Song
Texas - Say What you want
The Ting Tings - Shut Up and Let me Go​

Kate Bush - Babooshka

OH

MY

GOD
!!!!!!!

I THINK I'VE DIED AND GONE TO GAY HEAVEN

hauton

Why is there no hype for Star Ocean PSP Remake? Or did I just miss out on it?

I mean, no offense but,

1) Star Ocean was never released in America
2) It's a complete remake
3) It was an amazing RPG
4) It looks fan-bleeding-tastic

while CTDS is a straight port with wifi + a new dungeon and there's splurging for months.

Was the US/EU announcement already made? Or did everyone already assume it was coming?

EDIT: I guess this is slightly off-topic, but I didn't find a more appropriate thread and I was worried about making a new one just in case I really did miss out on the announcement + hype.

M3Freak

Banned
Laguna X said:

Everyone pirates on the PSP. Fuck, three guys bought a PSP here at work. One guy put the custom firmware on it and then did the same for the other two. They all pirate the games now. Hell, one guys whole intention was to pirate games - he actually told me he can't afford to buy the games. WHY THE FUCK DID HE BUY THE PSP THEN?!?

I don't get it. I don't pirate games.

Yixian

Banned
Alright, forget it, all hope is lost for the big three, we all better pray Apple enters the console business next gen or it'll be 10 years before the next 2007.

Either that or some kind of open platform initiative, that actually makes sense, too much sense perhaps..

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
M3Freak said:
Everyone pirates on the PSP. Fuck, three guys bought a PSP here at work. One guy put the custom firmware on it and then did the same for the other two. They all pirate the games now. Hell, one guys whole intention was to pirate games - he actually told me he can't afford to buy the games. WHY THE FUCK DID HE BUY THE PSP THEN?!?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

carlosp

Banned
M3Freak said:

i really hope the new one is as safe as the PS3 is but then nobody would probably want to buy the new model. It is a real dilemma.

M3Freak said:

Because he wants to play PSP games(he just doesn't want to pay for them).

Wollan

Yoboman said:
How is it when a casual non-game like Eyepet appears on PS3 it's totally cool?
Why isn't Wii FPS games all that? Because of the technology and lack of talent.
I mean, assuming you actually wanted an answer.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yoboman said:
How is it when a casual non-game like Eyepet appears on PS3 it's totally cool?

I always thought the idea of virtual pet brought to life via Eyetoy was a neat concept..way way before 'casual non-games' became some sort of political issue. I suggested the idea AGES ago, before PS3 was out even I think.

It's (potentially) technologically neat, and it's novel. And it's not like stuff like eyepet is eating up all of SCE's development resources. If anything, actually, 'casual non-games' may be slightly less of a focus for SCE now than they were in the latter PS2 years. If such games were beginning to dominate SCE's output, reaction might be very different. But they still bankroll as many 'core' games, if not more, than they ever did too.

Top Bottom