• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony looking into negative feedback on changes to 'Parties' on PS4 - potential changes incoming?

cormack12

Gold Member
59uRSw.jpg

You'll happily screech into a microphone that you'll kill someone or track them down but now there's a chance you'll be recorded saying it and its all of a sudden a violation of privacy?

Or have I got it wrong?

No, I think this is more to do with how parties are set up and joined. It's all tied into group messaging now and you can no longer just create a Public/Private party and join as normal.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
No, I think this is more to do with how parties are set up and joined. It's all tied into group messaging now and you can no longer just create a Public/Private party and join as normal.

This is what I’m most upset about. I do not want to need a bunch of chat groups to play with people. I want Private parties back as well. You don’t need to break something people have never complained about to create something no one asked for because the creator thinks it is better.

I get why they want to go with group based party system as it unifies chat, sharing and everything else. Why not both things though. Create group OR create party/private party not in group. A choice.

JimboJones

What can they actually do about it though?
Edit: thought this was to do with voice reporting

Last edited:

Handy Fake

I thought Neogaf gave their stamp of approval, what is the problem?
I very much doubt it's the chat record function, just issues with party making.

Cards on the table - I have no issue with Sony allowing their players to send obscene audio chat to them for moderation, and I don't have an issue with MS doing the same.

mitch1971

Yeah open parties need to make a come back. It's why I enjoy the spontinaity of joining open parties on my party list. As it is, the last few days it's been totally blank because people have to make a private party or nothing. Its stupid.

Last edited:
You'll happily screech into a microphone that you'll kill someone or track them down but now there's a chance you'll be recorded saying it and its all of a sudden a violation of privacy?

Or have I got it wrong?
I understand your concern and I am all for removing toxicity from online communication. However, the problem with voice chat being recorded is deeper than this. Who decides what words/ phrases will result in a ban? Sony? If it does then will it supply us with a list of words/ phrases that will result in a ban? In addition, what is offensive in one culture may not be considered so in another, so how will the moderation work exactly? Also, since the moderators will be acting just like a common-law system judge, should the playerbase/ general public be entitled to see their resume/ employment history/ property holdings etc.? So, I think we should not willy-nilly accept whatever Sony imposes on us, I respect the people who are concerned about this and want to discuss it.

Handy Fake

I understand your concern and I am all for removing toxicity from online communication. However, the problem with voice chat being recorded is deeper than this. Who decides what words/ phrases will result in a ban? Sony? If it does then will it supply us with a list of words/ phrases that will result in a ban? In addition, what is offensive in one culture may not be considered so in another, so how will the moderation work exactly? Also, since the moderators will be acting just like a common-law system judge, should the playerbase/ general public be entitled to see their resume/ employment history/ property holdings etc.? So, I think we should not willy-nilly accept whatever Sony imposes on us, I respect the people who are concerned about this and want to discuss it.
There wouldn't be outright bans unless it was for something very serious (grooming etc. one would suspect), there'd be warnings beforehand I'd assume.
Plus I get the feeling there'd have to be multiple complaints for them to seriously investigate, same as with the MS policy.

Last edited:
There wouldn't be outright bans unless it was for something very serious (grooming etc. one would suspect), there'd be warnings beforehand I'd assume.
Plus I get the feeling there'd have to be multiple complaints for them to seriously investigate, same as with the MS policy.
As far as I know MS investigate all complaints and issue comms bans if there's anything untoward. Chalk up a few of those and they'll hit you with a permanent account ban and you'll lose access to any digital games unless you have them already downloaded.

Handy Fake

As far as I know MS investigate all complaints and issue comms bans if there's anything untoward. Chalk up a few of those and they'll hit you with a permanent account ban and you'll lose access to any digital games unless you have them already downloaded.
Aye, I'd guess. But I suppose that if you've had multiple warnings about your behaviour and still act on like a tit on a private platform then it's probably not the platform-holder's fault that you get banned.:D
Same as in pubs.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Why would you create a party alone? Serious question.

I have some friends that create a party alone all the time. They know that if some friends come on that want to play with them, they just hop on in to the public party. Some also do that, creating one as a private party pre-inviting others for various reasons. I've done the same before others are on so I don't have to keep an eye on things.
In a way, it is like the new Groups, and in few ways it isn't.

Drewpee

Banned
I very much doubt it's the chat record function, just issues with party making.

Cards on the table - I have no issue with Sony allowing their players to send obscene audio chat to them for moderation, and I don't have an issue with MS doing the same.

Until someone records you and sends it to Sony. Whats can be seen as offensive is 100% subjective.

People like you scare me.

Too late Sony. If the internet and especially GAF told me on thing, it's that mistakes cannot be corrected. After 7 years people are still hating on always on and DRM restrictions even though they listened to the people and changed it before release.
They listened to the people? They didn't listen to the people, the people were containing a lot and they didn't care. There were even gaming "journalists" telling us to shut up because microsoft wouldn't back down. They didn't listen, they reacted to Sony not doing the same bs.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Why would you create a party alone? Serious question.

so I can leave it as an open party for people on my friends list. There have been times where I will leave it open all day and people come and go and that’s the easiest way to organize game sessions, people pop in and just say “let’s play over watch”. Did that like a week ago on a Saturday. Unless I don’t see the option, I can’t do that anymore. I have to pile all my friends I play with into one massive group. And give a mass invite notification to everybody when I start a party.

wvnative

I was mad about it at first but I won't be using the PS4 much longer. For people sticking to PS4 for awhile, it needs changed. It's so convoluted now.

VertigoOA

Banned
Not being able to start a chat lobby on my own and then add more players is the dumbest change ever. You have to search to add players and to add players from profile like you were once able to cannot be done without closing an existing chat. In other words... they made lfg and playing with friends a chore and more time consuming. It’s trash

If this is how it’s going to be for PS5 as well... not good. It’s enough to make me use the series x for online games over it.

Last edited:
The very worst part is not being able to make a solo party. So now I’m forced to listen to every salty asshat in Mortal Kombat 11 matches

TimFL

This is imho superior to the old party system. I always imagined a new system that‘s more like iMessage group chats, combining text and voice chat via voice calls inside a group.

Welcome change imho, too bad I barely use party chat on PS4.

Texas Pride

Banned
They're probably going to roll it back and in hindsight it's a feature they should've tested and asked if people wanted. It's not like this was a necessary change. They didn't "have" to change this. Creating a text chat to create a chat party is stupid. The fact that people you invite to the party can see everything that has been said in text chat is also a huge issue. If you invite some random to round out a team why the fuck do they need to see the chat log of a group he has no real connection to?

Kerotan

The new update is fine in terms of what it introduces. Great ideas but they need to bring back some old essential features. The ps4 might possibly be getting the lite version and the ps5 will have all the bells and whistles. If so I can put up with that, if not they need to add in these changes!

FrankWza

If you’re playing with people on your friends list, there’s no reason for anyone to record anything being said. It’s too easy for things to be taken out of context anyway. They’re only allowed to upload recent part of the chat for review.

Top Bottom