• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony looks set to announce ‘PlayStation Plus Video Pass’

yurinka

Think you might be referring to the one linked in this article maybe.

Yes, thanks. I think it's this one (or a very similar one slightly more updated).

Notice that in the 'longer term' they explain that until now people were able to get games via disk or download, but in 'next gen' they plan to do it via streaming too. They also plan to increase resolution to 1080 and beyond, 'improve quality of content', 'maximize off-console opportunity', they also plan 'New Entitlement models' and 'Evolved services' for next gen, also plan to scale their amount of servers via their partnership with Azure, etc.

JackMcGunns

It's actually not a bad idea to be honest. We see that streaming video services with amazing content if it's there is getting more and more popular. A clever way to approach publishers and tell them how many subscribers you have, even if not all subscribed for Playstation games. The numbers of potential end users still remains the same if the video and gaming side are both one single subscription. This is more savvy than people think.

I love Crunchy roll and Funimation, but they should keep TV TV TV separate from gaming.

leo-j

Mhm they own funimation. I’d love for all those amazing anime shows to be included in ps plus, but I def think incorporating ps now into ps plus would be a better step.

This is a good thing because if Microsoft announces tomorrow that Netflix or Disney+ or HBO Max is included with my Game Pass Ultimate subscription at no additional cost, I'm bragging. So if I would consider it a good move for Microsoft, I would also consider it a good move for Sony.

Remember that big deal Sony just entered into with Netflix? Yea, watch out for that partnership with Playstation Plus down the road.

Derktron

Banned
Maybe their response to Gamepass is bundling other media services with PS Plus.
You know what that would not be a bad thing, make it like an Apple all-access, where you pay one fee for all the services. For me, I don't see that to be an issue.

Derktron

Banned
This is a good thing because if Microsoft announces tomorrow that Netflix or Disney+ or HBO Max is included with my Game Pass Ultimate subscription at no additional cost, I'm bragging. So if I would consider it a good move for Microsoft, I would also consider it a good move for Sony.

Remember that big deal Sony just entered into with Netflix? Yea, watch out for that partnership with Playstation Plus down the road.
That won't happen, the companies you mentioned would ask for a shit ton of money to even allow this, and if they do this. I can see it as a 30-day free trial. But I don't see that happening.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I called this in the Counterpunch thread, I just got the year wrong lol
You wasted your once in a lifetime luck on the wrong thing bro. Should have gone this instead.

81Df9o2t4dL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Yall really out here whining about getting a service for cheap and having them include a bunch of triple AAA games.
Whats the problem with buying games?
did you guys quit your job? Dont make as much money this gen?
Let xbox have the Gamepass you like that goto Xbox.
Ill keep buying my games like i always have.

Pallas

Gold Member
This is kind of underwhelming if it’s suppose to be a counter to Gamepass. It might be interesting if they roll in Funimation/Crunchyroll into it for anime fans.

They really should make a legacy pass at least, games that were released on PS1,2, PSP, Vita playable on PS4/PS5 under a subscription, of course asking for all games is beyond reasonable but at least popular titles starting out.

sainraja

Sony's answer to Game Pass already exists. And it is called PlayStation Now. What people are actually expecting as a response to Game Pass is basically a service that matches Game Pass 1:1. I don't think that will happen.

Not until Microsoft is able to prove that they can release first party AAA games on Game Pass and be successful in getting a return on investment (future ones, existing ones don't really count since they existed even before Game Pass did, minus The Medium, and I am talking about continued success for Sony to really match it feature to feature.)

Sony might prove me wrong and go on to announce exactly a mirror of Game Pass but I honestly don't think that will happen. Microsoft has shown that Game Pass with its currently library is attractive to consumers but how long are they willing to roll people in via the $1 deals and other discounts? At some point that's going to change and what happens after that will ultimately decide what will happen to game subscription services.

But I don't see them going away and I think we will only see more variations of them (all other industries are doing it and finding success). I just don't like a subscription only future. I kinda hope we stay how we are right now with subs existing along with buying options.

Last edited:

Tutomos

Not bad considering they are investing in original content around their game IPs like Uncharted movie and some TV shows.

saintjules

Unless they're incorporating a library of games into a service in addition to the videos (a la Blockbuster Video style), it just simply won't match up to GamePass imo...But maybe this isn't what they're aiming for at the moment.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Why must everything sony does be a "counterpunch" to gamepass? Last I saw xbox was still in last place and being outsold by a tablet console for god's sake.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Two possibilities to consider here before imploding with the force of a thousand suns.

1) This may not be intended as a form of answer to GamePass at all and could be something different.

2) If it is an answer, then maybe there is more than hasn't been revealed yet with a games component.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
With PS+ already taken and Disney+ copying Sony, why not copy HBO and name their Gamepass 'PlayStation Max' or PS Max.

No idea why they are doing a video pass on playstation anyway. they literally just sold their movies and tv shows to Netflix.

It's worse.

All MS wanted to do with Xbox One is have an all in one system (passthrough) where you didn't have to go back and forth between gaming and your cable box. It worked well too. You could game and watch TV on split screen with adjustable sound sliders. I did it myself. Game on the left side, had baseball or hockey game on right side. Their secondary plan was the social aspect like some shit like doing Sunday polls on the NFL app. That was basically it.

At that time, Sony said nothing. But the second MS phased out TV, it's been:

- E3 shows about Power TV show and talking about music
- PS Vue cable TV subscription streaming service
- Buying anime streaming channels
- Tons of video game movies and LoU TV show
- The recent Video Pass service coming (more tv and film)

At the tail end of PS3, they even made a dedicated PS branded LCD TV, and in 2017 or 2018 partnered with Pottery Barn to make PS branded living room furniture for watching TV.

All all this stuff gamers have to pay for. At least Xbox's TV stuff was free.
This wasn't about having multimedia/sports content integration, never has been. It's about revealing your GAMING console by putting the other stuff at the front, acting like people bought the GAMES console for TV/NFL.

Also, Sony Pictures is a thing, it has been for a long time, longer than Sony was in gaming.

The problem with MS is that they are pushy, if MS was a guy they would have been reported first in the #metoo

MacReady13

All this PS+ sounds interesting, but unfortunately us Aussie's wouldn't fucking know as Sony treat us like fucking minnow's down here. Wonder when we will ever have the option to get PS+?

N30RYU

With PS+ already taken and Disney+ copying Sony, why not copy HBO and name their Gamepass 'PlayStation Max' or PS Max.

No idea why they are doing a video pass on playstation anyway. they literally just sold their movies and tv shows to Netflix.
PlayPass

replicant-

MS - 23million GamePass Subscribers, expanding into day one third party releases.

PlayStation - Here are some movies to watch. On a platform that doesn't support Dolby Vision or Media.

Couldn't write it.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That would suck hard. I mean, not in itself, but games please, not video. I've got five other services for that.

Last edited:
"Hey Mr. Ryan sir, the general public is asking for a Gamepass-like service for the PS5."

gDfpaL.gif

"FINE, we'll give them a Video Pass and call it a day"

General Public:

200.gif

Yeah it is the start of the previous gen but the other way around.

I wouldn't say that. It was so bad with the X1 that they had to 180 alot of their visin due to low pre-orders. The same isn't happening with the PS5 because it's largely focused on gaming. Even though Sony is adding this games are still coming.

That's my opinion anyways.

RPSleon

Yes this is 100% what people want. Video is the future. Games are for kids. I cant wait to feel lord of the rings through my dualsense.

Top Bottom