• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony looks set to announce ‘PlayStation Plus Video Pass’

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This isn't HDMI in cable TV shite, why are people thinking it is anything like Xbox's E3 from 8 years ago?
They aren't even making a big deal about it, just like the Vue crap.
It's worse.

All MS wanted to do with Xbox One is have an all in one system (passthrough) where you didn't have to go back and forth between gaming and your cable box. It worked well too. You could game and watch TV on split screen with adjustable sound sliders. I did it myself. Game on the left side, had baseball or hockey game on right side. Their secondary plan was the social aspect like some shit like doing Sunday polls on the NFL app. That was basically it.

At that time, Sony said nothing. But the second MS phased out TV, it's been:

- E3 shows about Power TV show and talking about music
- PS Vue cable TV subscription streaming service
- Buying anime streaming channels
- Tons of video game movies and LoU TV show
- The recent Video Pass service coming (more tv and film)

At the tail end of PS3, they even made a dedicated PS branded LCD TV, and in 2017 or 2018 partnered with Pottery Barn to make PS branded living room furniture for watching TV.

All all this stuff gamers have to pay for. At least Xbox's TV stuff was free.

Last edited:
Just wondering what a video pass would likely include... I'd presume that anime service they recently purchased. What about their movie studios (Sony pictures, plus the division's such as Columbia, TriStar and Screen gems?)
If you mean Funimation, yeah I can see that. If you mean Crunchyroll, well...that's....currently being held up by an antitrust-probe.

So I would only count on Funimation content for the time being.

Banjo64

cumsessed
This isn't HDMI in cable TV shite, why are people thinking it is anything like Xbox's E3 from 8 years ago?
They aren't even making a big deal about it, just like the Vue crap.
Oh right, so it’s only the delivery method that matters? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
It's worse.

All MS wanted to do with Xbox One is have an all in one system (passthrough) where you didn't have to go back and forth between gaming and your cable box. It worked well too. You could game and watch TV on split screen with adjustable sound sliders. I did it myself. Game on the left side, had baseball or hockey game on right side. Their secondary plan was the social aspect like some shit like doing Sunday polls on the NFL app. That was basically it.

- PS Vue cable subscription streaming service

At the tail end of PS3, they even made a dedicated PS branded LCD TV, and in 2017 or 2018 partnered with Pottery Barn to make PS branded living room furniture for watching TV.

MS wasn't first including tv with the console. Sony is/was doing it for years in Asia with Nasne (europe also). After that they created a VOD service PlayStation Vue.

The PS3 already had cable tv decoder extention, it's not like Sony followed MS....

It's worse.

The good thing is they don't waste time or conference to make this usuless service. That's why Microsoft was trolled hard. But i think is to hard to understand to Microsoft fanboys.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
If true, I really hope this isn't the answer to to Game pass, if so it's know where near enough......

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
MS wasn't first including tv with the console. Sony is/was doing it for years in Asia with Nasne (europe also). After that they created a VOD service PlayStation Vue.

The PS3 already had cable tv decoder extention, it's not like Sony followed MS....
Never knew that. I bet nobody in US/Canada knew Sony already had TV stuff in other regions.

Last edited:

vivftp

If true, I really hope this isn't the answer to to Game pass, if so it's know where near enough......

No one's saying it is. PlayStation has had video related services for years. Some folks in this thread are just running away with silly narratives for whatever reasons.

Whatever this is, we'll know more about it very soon given the start date.

Zeroing

Banned
I don’t think it is an answer to gamepass, Sony is a movie company too and Disney own 90% of the movie industry. Netflix, HBO etc are barely making any profit since Disney plus.

So untapped market, people who play video games also watch movies... and sadly we are seeing more and more movie adaptations of games...

jaysius

Banned
So... Netflix competitor?

This is a very odd move. Although didn't they have a "chord cutter" streaming video thing a few years ago that was marginally successful but ONLY in USA?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
61oWFTfAoLL._AC_SX679_.jpg

SilentUser

No one's saying it is. PlayStation has had video related services for years. Some folks in this thread are just running away with silly narratives for whatever reasons.

Whatever this is, we'll know more about it very soon given the start date.
You are right. This is getting embarassing, but not for Sony... People here are getting really cognitively limited, acting very childish all the time and bringing things up that isn't connected to the reality.

Honestly, curious to see what this will bring.

AmuroChan

It's a new benefit included in your PS+ sub with no additional costs. I don't know why people are complaining. If this new benefit includes Crunchyroll, then awesome. It will save me $7.99 a month.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Never knew that. I bet nobody in US/Canada knew Sony already had TV stuff in other regions.

I don’t know. People in the US only knew PlayStation Video (looks like Video Pass is a replacement for that), and PlayStation Vue (Cloud based VOD service).

shaddam

If its come with the ps+ okay, I like big anime titties. Other way i dont care about tv subscriptions, I havent been subbed for years.

It's actually not a bad idea to be honest. We see that streaming video services with amazing content if it's there is getting more and more popular. A clever way to approach publishers and tell them how many subscribers you have, even if not all subscribed for Playstation games. The numbers of potential end users still remains the same if the video and gaming side are both one single subscription. This is more savvy than people think.

reksveks

It's a new benefit included in your PS+ sub with no additional costs. I don't know why people are complaining. If this new benefit includes Crunchyroll, then awesome. It will save me $7.99 a month.
For the first year, assuming that the dates implies a cost after April 22

It's actually not a bad idea to be honest. We see that streaming video services with amazing content if it's there is getting more and more popular. A clever way to approach publishers and tell them how many subscribers you have, even if not all subscribed for Playstation games. The numbers of potential end users still remains the same if the video and gaming side are both one single subscription. This is more savvy than people think.

Ultimately though the video and movie streaming side should appeal more to casuals than to gamers. But of course there should a lot of cross-overs who likes both.

JaksGhost

I'll take it if it's an added benefit on top of my already existing membership. With CDKeys I've bought enough $30 subscriptions over the years to last me until their next console launch. For the equivalent of $2.50 a month I'll take the Ps Plus Benefits, the PS Plus Collection, and this Video Pass. If it includes Funimation and/or Crunchyroll that will be even better since I'm signed up to those services individually.

Sony Executive: "Mr. Ryan sir, it seems Xbox Game Pass is growing at a rapid pace and our competitor continues to offer brand new releases day one to their customers, we need to act fast"

Jim Ryan: "We have PS NOW, if someone with a PS5 wants to play old games from our first-party library, they can stream it from our shoddy servers or pay us $70 for a remaster. I'm not worried"

Sony Executive: " But sir, our fanbase is becoming restless, they demand that we increase the value of our service to match Xbox Game Pass."

Jim Ryan: "Look, didn't we buy WeabooRoll, I mean CrunchyRoll a few months back? Just give those Japanese cartoons to the PS+ crowd, it'll shut them up for a while. Hell, add Amazing Spiderman 2 and Jumanji into the mix just to sweeten the pot. They want value? I'll give them value!"
59882_gb_news.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Moose

It's worse.

The HDMI in stuff worked well in the US but not overseas I don't think. It's a bit like the CEC stuff, controlling console/TV with one control, but I think people made fun of it because of the conference (was it E3 2013?).
Powers was available to view for free I think, I remember watching it. Sony do make movies and things of that nature so it makes sense to have these kinds of services, I think they own Aniplex and Funimation :pie_thinking: (I'm all for the anime stuff lol).
I'm not a fan of the Vue crap, but anime? Sign me up! As long as it's not expensive for what they offer, need more than just some Funimation dubs though.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
They made this already:

Starting March 25, 2021

• Our friends at Funimation (a joint venture of Sony Pictures Entertainment and Aniplex of Japan) are kicking in a very special offer: extended access for new subscribers to Funimation or Wakanim in the countries they are available **. Funimation is an anime-focused subscription service and Wakanim is Funimation’s European division. While there will be additional details to follow, this offer is only available to our community who sign up for and download the Funimation (in the United States, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand) or Wakanim apps (in most of Western and Northern Europe) starting on March 25 for a limited time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom