• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Loses Developer Relations Manager DeLoura

argon

The former editor-in-chief of Game Developer magazine and lead development support engineer at Nintendo of America is now technical director for Ubisoft North America in San Francisco, and is responsible for ensuring the technical quality of all third-party developed titles published by Ubisoft in North America.

I wonder when he left NoA.. He certainly knows an opportune time to jump ship.

t42843xtipj.jpg

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
I thought this was relativly old news.. ;)

His blog:
http://www.satori.org/2006/07/last_day_at_sony.html

And a reaction from a Microsoftie..
Title pretty much says it all, but Mark DeLoura, Manager of Developer Relations at Sony is leaving after five years at the job. I've met Mark many times and shared some good-natured jibes and drinks with him, and I have to say this is a huge loss for Sony. Mark was one of the best in developer relations, very well respected in the industry, and was instrumental in trying to get Sony Corporate to take developer support seriously. (Although I like to think Mark was following the example our Game Technology Group sets.) ;)

I do have to wonder how much of Sony's flailing was a part of this decision, but I guess we'll never really know since Mark is too much of a professional to kiss and tell. My guess is that it had to be at least part of the decision, though.

http://ozymandias.com/archive/2006/...nager-of-Developer-Relations-leaves-Sony.aspx

I don't see how losing a skilled and possibly respected Developer Relations Manager could possibly have a negative impact on the PS3 or the pedigree of games coming to their console.

Tieno

BenjaminBirdie said:
I don't see how losing a skilled and possibly respected Developer Relations Manager could possibly have a negative impact on the PS3 or the pedigree of games coming to their console.
That's the spirit! Keep thinking positive!

Vieo

The article said he went to UbiSoft. Maybe he wanted to be one of the first people to experience the innovation of Rayman Wii. :)

Gek54

Have we ever seen a company lose such high profile employees so close to a console's launch? Both PR and Dev relations since E3? Could it be a worse time?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
This whole Sony/PS3 saga is very entertaining. Can't wait to see how it all ends. There's virtually no good PS3 news...at all. Amazingly ironic.

Mmmkay

Gek54 said:
Have we ever seen a company lose such high profile employees so close to a console's launch? Both PR and Dev relations since E3? Could it be a worse time?
That's pretty ironic (or self fulfilling I guess) considering the amount of people who were calling for heads to roll on the back of Sony's woeful E3 presentation. So now they're falling, and what - it's suddenly shocking?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's a bad loss, but does it necessarily mean something is wrong? I mean...that's a nice job opportunity he took. People jump ship all the time. The only other jump I can remember is that Molly woman that left after Sony's E3 PR disaster.

Mmmkay said:
That's pretty ironic (or self fulfilling I guess) considering the amount of people who were calling for heads to roll on the back of Sony's woeful E3 presentation. So now they're falling, and what - it's suddenly shocking?

Also, to what extent does the lack of lots of AAA titles on the PSP have to do with this guy?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
De Loura leaving has nothing to do with Sony's E3 presentation, I am sure :lol

There's always a certain amount of turnover at any company. It's very difficult to tell if there's any unusual significance to De Loura's departure. Certainly it doesn't look like it was abrupt/unplanned, nor that he was leaving for unhappy reasons. But Sony is under a microscope at the moment, so people will speculate.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Gek54 said:
Xbox team lost some pretty key people too, from the very core of the team. I have no idea how much it hurt them in the end, but I'm guessing not much.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
It's a bad loss, but does it necessarily mean something is wrong? I mean...that's a nice job opportunity he took. People jump ship all the time. The only other jump I can remember is that Molly woman that left after Sony's E3 PR disaster.

Losing two key Public and Developer relations staff members in the period between a terrible E3 showing and the biggest hardware launch in the companies history should surely set off some kind of alarm somewhere.

RaijinFY

Francias Castiglione said:
Losing two key Public and Developer relations staff members in the period between a terrible E3 showing and the biggest hardware launch in the companies history should surely set off some kind of alarm somewhere.

Indeed, do you have some information? What do your sources tell you?

GeoramA

Francias Castiglione said:
Over-analyze much? And Sony's E3 showing was pretty good. It was the pre-E3 conference that sucked.

xaosslug

well, DeLoura's been there for 5 years, so I can only assume the same thing happened... about 5 years ago when DeLoura took the job. lol

Proelite said:
Next up, Ken, and Kaz. Please Sony make it happen!

No Sony fan should want Ken to leave. He talks crazy sometimes (well often) but his ambitious is why the PS exists in the first place.

SolidSnakex said:
No Sony fan should want Ken to leave. He talks crazy sometimes (well often) but his ambitious is why the PS exists in the first place.

And no Nintendo fan should have wanted Yamauchi to leave...

Mojovonio

Banned
SolidSnakex said:

And he'll be the reason why the PS dies.... :D

snatches

SolidSnakex said:

Hey Snake, was Deloura's office close to yours at all?

Proelite

SolidSnakex said:

He was the father of the Playstation, but that doesn't mean that he deserve to be father any longer after his recent screw-ups. If Ken leads the developement for ps4, then that would be bad news imo. He doesn't listen to other people's suggestions.

TheKingsCrown said:
And no Nintendo fan should have wanted Yamauchi to leave...

Yamauchi = N64, GC, GBA
Iwata = DS, Wii

So far, looks like Iwata is doing a bang-up job. It's certainly too early to be wishing for Yamauchi's return.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
DaCocoBrova said:
This whole Sony/PS3 saga is very entertaining. Can't wait to see how it all ends. There's virtually no good PS3 news...at all. Amazingly ironic.

I can't wait till this november. This is going to be really interesting.

Consumer decisions are so exciting!!!

mrwilt

Doesn't anyone remember SCEA President Steve Race resigning just before Playstation launched in the US back in 95? Ironically, the rumor was he quit because of disagreements over the long-term pricing of the Playstation.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
mrwilt said:
Doesn't anyone remember SCEA President Steve Race resigning just before Playstation launched in the US back in 95? Ironically, the rumor was he quit because of disagreements over the long-term pricing of the Playstation.

It was after the launch IIRC...Race quit in 1996

PR guy leaves Sony
===

GAF: :lol Sony's dead now!

Rational person: You've never even heard of this guy before, and people leave companies all the time. Do you people remember the major shakeup at Nintendo that happened just a few years ago?

GAF: Umm well..... maybe you should work for them SDF dude! :lol

Top Bottom