• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony makes move on mobile gaming

SOR5

Source: Financial Times

gm2oxQY.jpg

Sony is set to push “aggressively” into mobile gaming, having watched from the sidelines as its console rival Nintendo enjoyed meteoric success with the Pokémon Go augmented reality (AR) game.

“[Mobile gaming] is something we are aggressively getting into,” Sony chief executive Kaz Hirai told the Financial Times at the IFA consumer electronics show in Berlin. “It’s quite a shift from being just a console-based business to being on mobile phones as well,” he said.

“Pokémon Go is a real game-changer. I’m very interested in the fact that it has the potential to really change the way people move, literally.”

AR, the feature that allows Pokémon Go to superimpose animated characters on to a smartphone screen showing the real world, is a “great innovative idea that’s going to lift all boats for the video game industry”, the Japanese boss said, adding that he would like to add AR capabilities to his company’s stable of games.

Despite Nintendo’s surprise hit, the two Japanese console competitors have been slow to join the smartphone gaming party to date. “Sony and Nintendo own their platforms and want to retain control and make as much money as possible from them,” says Steve Bailey, gaming analyst at IHS Markit. “But the landscape has now changed considerably. The threat from mobile is so big, they can no longer ignore it.”

Nintendo launched its first-ever mobile app, Miitomo, in March this year, while Sony has had a chequered history in the market. There have been several failed initiatives to port PlayStation games to handheld consoles and its Xperia smartphones.

“They have had an interest in it for five or six years but they haven’t got it right,” said Jack Kent, mobile analyst at IHS Markit. “The strategy was about selling more handsets or consoles, rather than making money from the games.”

Now, Mr Hirai says he plans to tackle the problem from the ground up. “Mobile gaming is a very important part of the Japanese market and therefore we’ve created a wholly-owned subsidiary that’s completely dedicated to mobile gaming. They’ll be coming out with titles,” he said.

The Japanese spend more on mobile games per capita than any other nation in the world, followed by South Korea and China. Thus, Asia will be the primary focus of the new subsidiary, known as ForwardWorks, which has yet to release a game since it opened last April.

Sony is still placing big bets on its PlayStation home console, with an upgraded, higher-end version, codenamed “Neo”, expected to launch next week. The new device will support ultra-high definition (UHD) resolution and virtual reality, to dovetail with the launch of the PlayStation VR headset in October. In May, the PlayStation 4 became Sony’s fastest-selling console, reaching cumulative sales of 40m.

Neoxon

Here's for the best. Though I could see Sony using mobile to fill the void left by the Vita.

Pudge

Oh look. Another article connecting Pokemon GO with Nintendo as if they had anything to do with it. How wonderful.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
"Say Hirai to Kaz", where everyone's face around you is superimposed with Kaz's face.

I'll take 10% Sony.

novabolt

We have seen their first attempts lol. I do wish success for Sony, Mobile gaming isn't something you can go into and just expect to make a lot of money these days.

SOR5

I wonder if theres going to be another stab at an Xperia Play style system, considering the Playstation brand is at a high-point right now

Oregano

RIP PS Trinity.

It's possibly worth making a distinction between Playstation and Sony as a whole. I'm fairly sure Sony technically has two Top 10 Mobile games in Japan(Rune Story and Fate/Grand Order) but neither have anything to do with Playstation.

Goron2000

best junior ever
After the booming success of this POS i'm surprised they ever got out of the mobile game.
Sell-Your-Sony-Ericsson-Xperia-Play.jpg

Can't believe I bought this thing, it was literally the worst phone i've ever owned and they dropped support within about 6 months.

jaina

Sounds like something to appease shareholders after Pokemon Go. (without any product in near future)

We have seen their first attempts lol. I do wish success for Sony, Mobile gaming isn't something you can go into and just expect to make a lot of money these days.

Sony already has a hugely successful mobile game called Fate Grand/Order. It makes well over a million a day.

Sound good, I never play mobile games, but more revenue streams is good for publishers.

Makes you wonder when they are going to announce PS Now for mobile. Seems like a huge market for such a new thing. People will be interested if you market it as a Netflix for gaming and they are first to make such a service with AAA-games.
(Especially if when they inevitably will put PS4 games on PS Now, imagine if you could play Uncharted 4 on your tablet/TV/PC without dedicated hardware. Seems like a no-brainer.)

clem84

Gold Member
I think it's high time for either N or Sony to produce a real gaming phone, with d pad/analog pad and real buttons, a slot for carts, along with the android platform and everything modern phones support. Something high end, not like the 3DS. Closer to what the Vita was when it launched.

kadotsu

Banned
If its a gaming phone they should play to the Xperia strength. Long battery life. Create a controller attachment, make that a battery, too.

LewieP

(Especially if when they inevitably will put PS4 games on PS Now, imagine if you could play Uncharted 4 on your tablet/TV/PC without dedicated hardware. Seems like a no-brainer.)

I doubt this will happen any time soon. They want people to buy a PS4.

I also doubt they'd give all access selection to a decent range of PS4 software under the same subscription model. At least not until they are beginning to drop software support for the original model PS4

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Hmm they announced the studio back in march its call ForwardWorks.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1200246

Sony already has a hugely successful mobile game called Fate Grand/Order. It makes well over a million a day.

Yea. This article seems kind of odd. They have been doing mobile games for years, long before Pokemon Go.

And you could play some, most of them on the Vita.

Top Bottom