• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony makes move on mobile gaming

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
After the booming success of this POS i'm surprised they ever got out of the mobile game.
Sell-Your-Sony-Ericsson-Xperia-Play.jpg

Can't believe I bought this thing, it was literally the worst phone i've ever owned and they dropped support within about 6 months.

It's almost like Sony had a plethora of spare parts left over from the PSP Go! What year did that phone come out?

liquidtmd

Banned
After the booming success of this POS i'm surprised they ever got out of the mobile game.
Sell-Your-Sony-Ericsson-Xperia-Play.jpg

Can't believe I bought this thing, it was literally the worst phone i've ever owned and they dropped support within about 6 months.

It was indeed an unsupported POS, but it's real tragedy is the concept itself is good.

A mobile phone that has a great pop out ergonomic analogue controller. I swear to god, it's fucking genuis and the missing link in terms of hooking console gamers.

Gusto

Just make a PlayStation app where you can access it on any phone or TV. that way the tech falls on the consumers device and not Sony's console.

entremet

Lol, IAnimals is straight up garbage. I won't even wish it on my worst enemies.

Seriously, the game is decent. It just didn't have that charm like Pokemon or Digimon.
It's a joke lol.

I remember the saltiness of that thread when it was a clear, lighthearted joke.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Microsoft getting into PC gaming, Sony into mobile.
Though I suppose Microsoft could release Minecraft 2 and make a fortune on mobile.

I doubt this will happen any time soon. They want people to buy a PS4.

I also doubt they'd give all access selection to a decent range of PS4 software under the same subscription model. At least not until they are beginning to drop software support for the original model PS4

Of course, but I expect it before the end of PS4/Neo honestly. Why not sell Uncharted 4 in a few years for 30 euro on PS Now for the mobile/pc market?
If would think that making people subscribe to a 20 euro monthly subscription or buying digital games, would be more profitable than people buying a PS4 where half the people have PS+ and many people buy used games.

duvjones

Banned
Sony already has a hugely successful mobile game called Fate Grand/Order. It makes well over a million a day.
Does Sony publish that? Given the amount of leverage type-moon had prior to FGO, it would likely have been better for T-M to go it alone with a mobile developer than involve Sony at all.

c0de

Bring the Vita library to Android.
Smartphones nowadays outpaced the Vita since quite a time and porting shouldn't be a big problem.
By this they can test the waters with mobile gaming.

Takao

Banned
Sony is still placing big bets on its PlayStation home console, with an upgraded, higher-end version, codenamed “Neo”, expected to launch next week. The new device will support ultra-high definition (UHD) resolution and virtual reality, to dovetail with the launch of the PlayStation VR headset in October. In May, the PlayStation 4 became Sony’s fastest-selling console, reaching cumulative sales of 40m.

Isn't Neo just being announced next week, not launched? Unless the Financial Times has the inside scoop?

SalvaPot

This is the last straw, and a clear, obvious tell that they can't handle their console business anymore and its clear its portable its not going to hold on, they should have gone mobile a loooong time ago and have their exclusives on other consoles, how else are they going to be relevant? This is what I've been waiting for, since going deep into mobile its clear evidence that Nintendo is finally going third pa-...

Does Sony publish that? Given the amount of leverage type-moon had prior to FGO, it would likely have been better for T-M to go it alone with a mobile developer than involve Sony at all.

Technically it's published by Aniplex, but they're owned entirely by Sony.

Pokemon is Pokemon. What does Sony have to even come close?

It doesn't have to be a monster, so I imagine something like LittleBigPlanet could capitalize on the mobile market and become profitable. The foundation is already there for microtransactions, for example.

VICI0US

doesn't sony already have mobile games based on their gaming IP? uncharted and fat princess come to mind. neither seemed to really make any waves.

NolbertoS

Wow, megaton news. The beginning of the end for console gaming over time. I wish PS Vita 3000 would be announced too, but meh. Thus all 3 console makers will now enter outside markets.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
good, mobile gaming is largely trash, hopefly the big players making mobile games will make them better.

Circinus

Pretty sure they already were, but seems like they'll venture into it further.

Your time has finally come, Invizimals.

Nintendo inspiring Sony since 1995.

doesn't sony already have mobile games based on their gaming IP? uncharted and fat princess come to mind. neither seemed to really make any waves.

Yeah, they made their first moves in mobile gaming about 3 years ago and have a bit more than a dozen apps/games now.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/dev?id=5810481673801929430&hl=en

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sony actually has one very large mobile hit in the form of Fate/Grand Order - judging by how similarly charting games perform, easily hundreds of millions a year - though it's under the Aniplex instead of PlayStation division

Oregano

Sony actually has one very large mobile hit in the form of Fate/Grand Order - judging by how similarly charting games perform, easily hundreds of millions a year - though it's under the Aniplex instead of PlayStation division

Don't they also have a stake in Rune Story/White Cat Project?

Drangleic

Neo Member
Mobile games have no depth or longetivity. And the lack of physical buttons suck

It all depends on what you call "mobile games"
I am pretty happy to play FTL, Dungeon of the endless, King of the Dragon Pass or Papers Please and many more on my ipad mini !Please stop telling us that there is no game with depth on mobile games.
even though i prefer play on my vita with their real physical buttons obviously there are many games that could be converted on mobile games : especially strategy games or dungeon crawling games...

Defuser

Sony doesn't even put their A teams on VITA what makes them so sure they can have the slice of pie that Nintendo is having? Iwata work so closely to Pokemon GO till the point of death. Is Sony willing to do the same thing? They treat their mobile/handheld with shit support.

Armadilo

Banned
If they can make AAA Mobile games from their actual PlayStation developers, they can make bank. Mobile games lack AAA Games

Dami3N

Well... If i get trophysupport for my androidgames... then im all in. The lack of connection between my "playstation" persona/profile and my phone, is one of the reasons i dont get invested in phonegames - that and the pay2win thing and GATCHA shit

It amazes me even after nearly a decade of mobile gaming (and 2 decades of handheld gaming before that), people still think that there is a market for AAA titles on the go.

Top Bottom