• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony makes move on mobile gaming

Kieli

You guys are delusional if you think they're going to make Vita-type games for mobile. The audience for it simply doesn't exist on the scales that would make it profitable.

Lol, IAnimals is straight up garbage. I won't even wish it on my worst enemies.

Seriously, the game is decent. It just didn't have that charm like Pokemon or Digimon.

Err, ok. What? It's garbage but it's decent?

Even though that tweet was dumb, Sony X-DEV has been doing AR reasonably well years ago. There's also that card game for PSP.

If they can make AAA Mobile games from their actual PlayStation developers, they can make bank. Mobile games lack AAA Games
good, mobile gaming is largely trash, hopefly the big players making mobile games will make them better.
The key is to adapt and distill AAA franchises to forms that work well on mobile, rather than trying to force those games to fit on mobile. We've seen what happens when you try to squeeze controller-style digital controls onto a iPad.

Hitman/Lara Croft GO are the gold standard for how to bring AAA franchises to mobile without defaulting to a runner or match-3 or what those games usually do

fart town usa

Gold Member
The key is to adapt and distill AAA franchises to forms that work well on mobile, rather than trying to force those games to fit on mobile. We've seen what happens when you try to squeeze controller-style digital controls onto a iPad.

Hitman/Lara Croft GO are the gold standard for how to bring AAA franchises to mobile without defaulting to a runner or match-3 or what those games usually do

Ape Escape. It'd be like Pokemon Go but only Ape Escape.

Ape Escape. It'd be like Pokemon Go but only Ape Escape.
I mean ideally, the hope is to not just fall into the rut of "like Pokemon Go but X"

But either way, I have extremely low hopes for this initiative. The only larger devs/publishers to figure out how to bring larger franchises to mobile have been Square Enix, 2K, and Ubisoft.

Oregano

They're not the games that makes millions of dollars a day though and considering this mobile initiative seems focused on Asia at the moment I imagine stuff like Hoshi No Dragon Quest is more what they're looking for.

120v

not really clear on what sony can "bring to the table" assuming they're simply making mobile games. not like they have the brand recognition/IP strength of nintendo, and while their first party output is great i don't see that translating to mobile

that said they should focus on the market. had to happen some time

They're not the games that makes millions of dollars a day though and considering this mobile initiative seems focused on Asia at the moment I imagine stuff like Hoshi No Dragon Quest is more what they're looking for.
Which is why I have very low expectations

Although to be fair, Sony did port (half of) Counterspy to mobile and made a half-hearted attempt at a LC GO-inspired Uncharted game. So you never know

Kyzer

Banned
im glad were at a point where these companies at least have the decency of pretending to be civil about things instead of just flinging shit at each other

Um.... Nintendo was involved in Pokemon Go's development.

Then why is it so similar to Ingress?

What did their involvement contribute to the game other than slapping a pokemon skin on it?

Like, I get that we all want to say that Nintendo was totally hands on in their first mobile hit, but the end product is a very blatant clone of something that already exists.

Agent X

A few weeks ago, I started playing Smart As on the Vita again, after not touching it for about two years. I quickly got hooked on the game all over again. It's an often overlooked gem in the Vita's library. It occurred to me that Smart As would be an excellent game to adapt to today's mobile phones and tablets.

Smart As contains 20 different mini-game challenges. None of these mini-games require the use of the analog sticks or digital joypad, and I think only one or two use any buttons at all (the L and R buttons). The majority of the mini-games use just the touch screen, but a few also incorporate the rear touch pad, tilt controls, or cameras. With that in mind, almost all of the mini-games could be ported over to a smartphone or tablet with little or no change. One mini-game that utilizes the Vita's rear touch pad would require some alteration to work with a single touch screen. There are two augmented reality mini-games that require the AR Play cards, but the AR component is merely a "window dressing" gimmick, and those mini-games could easily be revamped to work without AR.

If Sony wants to broaden their mobile game portfolio, I would recommend that they consider an adaptation of Smart As to be one of their next projects.

beastlove

Eventually PlayStation is just going to become an eco system and it will not matter what device you play on, console, tablet, phone, pc. First step will be psn now on mobile and some Sony IP in basic mobile game

BigEmil

What did their involvement contribute to the game other than slapping a pokemon skin on it?

Like, I get that we all want to say that Nintendo was totally hands on in their first mobile hit, but the end product is a very blatant clone of something that already exists.
oh_wait_gif.gif

After the booming success of this POS i'm surprised they ever got out of the mobile game.
Sell-Your-Sony-Ericsson-Xperia-Play.jpg

Can't believe I bought this thing, it was literally the worst phone i've ever owned and they dropped support within about 6 months.

It was a decent phone. The support was the joke. I had it and if they went PSOne + Originals crazy with releases it would've been great.

Sadly we got like 3 PSOne games and a bunch of throw away content.

Oersted

So sans the acknowledgement of Pokemon Go, practical no update since the initial announcement of the development studio?

kennyamr

People spend a lot of money on mobile so it's natural for companies to try to get into the market, in fact, I'm surprised they haven't tried harder before.
(Even though I don't agree with the decision).

I don't play mobile games, I have tried a few in the past and I sadly didn't like any.
I also hope that at some point Sony can release a new dedicated handheld device successor to the PSP and Vita, I had tons of fun with some of their games.

If they ask my opinion, I'd tell them that they shouldn't invest heavily in mobile, I think that a trial and error strategy with low budget games is better for Sony.
That is because success is harder on mobile than what it is on home consoles, therefore is better to lose a little than to lose a lot.
The target market is different than the one for home consoles, it is way more unpredictable in my opinion, and that makes it too risky for big investments.

Good luck, I guess.

Kouriozan

They probably did everything that wasn't in Ingress like Pokémons' moves, the battle system and balancing all that.
Iwata did wrote the code of battle gameplay of Pokémon Stadium all by himself, which support my guess.

If this leads to an Xperia Play 2 then I'm all for it.

Hells yes.

But I think the push will be for general phones applications and content.

And with added benefit of using a Sony phone because of easy Dualshock compatibility to play said games.

Also PlayStation Now will probably be a big part of this. Maybe.

Top Bottom