• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony makes move on mobile gaming

Epcott

Would love a GT GO where you scan real world cars and add them (maker and brand) to your in game garage to race.

IMO, Sony needs to give portable gaming a break unless:

A) They release a portable PS4 that only plays PSN games.

Or

B) They release their PS - PS3 library on to mobile (or an affordable PSNow for mobile devices and tablets).

OldMan

Banned
After the booming success of this POS i'm surprised they ever got out of the mobile game.
Sell-Your-Sony-Ericsson-Xperia-Play.jpg

Can't believe I bought this thing, it was literally the worst phone i've ever owned and they dropped support within about 6 months.
That thing looks so good

Raylan

Banned
Would love a GT GO where you scan real world cars and add them (maker and brand) to your in game garage to race.

IMO, Sony needs to give portable gaming a break unless:

A) They release a portable PS4 that only plays PSN games.

Or

B) They release their PS - PS3 library on to mobile (or an affordable PSNow for mobile devices and tablets).
If you mean mobile games, then no. The market is too big to ignore. It makes absolutely sense for them to invest money here.

Aren't Sony already doing well on mobile games with their IP's?

They have LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, Entwined, Counterspy, Knack, PS Pets, Sly Cooper and SingStar.

Pokemon Go sold well because brand association not AR feature. I never even used AR while playing Pokemon Go, always had it off.

AR isn't good for gaming seriously.

It was indeed an unsupported POS, but it's real tragedy is the concept itself is good.

A mobile phone that has a great pop out ergonomic analogue controller. I swear to god, it's fucking genuis and the missing link in terms of hooking console gamers.

My cousin had one of this, I wouldn't call that anywhere near ergonomic XD

The 3d abilities were not very good for something that was supposed to be focused on gaming either.

Wollan

Unlike Pokemón which doesn't support Nintendo's online service (why) Sony should make sure to utilize PSN with every mobile app they put out.

Aren't Sony already doing well on mobile games with their IP's?

They have LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, Entwined, Counterspy, Knack, PS Pets, Sly Cooper and SingStar.

Pokemon Go sold well because brand association not AR feature. I never even used AR while playing Pokemon Go, always had it off.

AR isn't good for gaming seriously.

Just because you didn't use it doesn't mean the feature wasn't huge. People were sharing pics of Pokémon in their lives like crazy, which is a big part of what made the game explode like it did.

Like, I get that we all want to say that Nintendo was totally hands on in their first mobile hit, but the end product is a very blatant clone of something that already exists.

You realize there's a lot more to making games than just making the content, yeah? Especially a mobile game that plans to release worldwide using a highly valuable property?

kyser73

I'm intrigued that there's the assumption Sony will attempt to leverage their IP rather than looking at what sells in the mobile space and building around that.

From my admittedly limited reading, high customer churn & reskinning the same basic concepts are what brings mobile gaming companies profits, with some of the larger developers who are tied to one IP (Rovio for example) finding it hard to expand/extend their brands in the medium to long term.

Tl:dr Sony might as well focus on profitable, cheap, disposable fripperies as attempting high budget premium mobile gaming.

Also - I'm pretty certain they were doing AR from back in the PS2 days with the Eye Toy camera, so so much for the Sony Too comments...

duvjones

Banned
Ok, so in all this. I think that we missed the obvious...
Hardware:

3DS: #1 platform
You know even if it is for a month, the fact that their was really massive jump in both 3DS hardware sales and the Pokemon software in the same period as Pokemon Go's launch is likely what has Kaz rather concerned.
If that pattern holds for August (which I doubt), then it is something that he will likely investigate. That would be much more than a blip on the radar and would spell out trouble if it is an angle that SCE refuses to utilize to reach more people.
Yes, this is a casual play... but Kaz would do the company right to not ignore it.

Technically it's published by Aniplex, but they're owned entirely by Sony.
Aniplex is only an animation studio/distributor, so that only really applies to Type-Moon's anime projects like Fate/Zero, Fate/Stay Night UBW, The Garden of Sinners, etc.
There is not a lot that Sony really owns outside of that, and the fact that Type-Moon properties happen to be playable on Sony hardware is something else entirely.

I highly doubt that Sony has much (if at all) involve with FGO

Lazaro

I hope resurrects some of their PlayStation Mobile titles for other platforms.

I loved Tokyo Jungle Mobile, Bullion Blitz and Yu-Nama: The Puzzle (AKA No Heroes Allowed!)

Saganator

Whatever money they further invest into the mobile game market is basically them just buying lottery tickets. Each game they produce is one ticket they just hope has the right formula to win big.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Just because you didn't use it doesn't mean the feature wasn't huge. People were sharing pics of Pokémon in their lives like crazy, which is a big part of what made the game explode like it did.

It was cute for a good five minutes when the game was new. I don't know of anyone that still plays with the AR on, when it's a detriment to catching Pokemon.

Agent X

Unlike Pokemón which doesn't support Nintendo's online service (why) Sony should make sure to utilize PSN with every mobile app they put out.

I agree, their mobile apps all need some kind of PSN connectivity.

Of Sony's mobile games on Android, the only one that I have tried so far is Uncharted: Fortune Hunter. It's a very good game on its own, even if you don't own or play the other Uncharted games. However, the fact that the game links to PSN and enables players to unlock goodies for Uncharted 4 gives an additional incentive for U4 fans to keep playing and making progress.

I hope resurrects some of their PlayStation Mobile titles for other platforms.

I loved Tokyo Jungle Mobile, Bullion Blitz and Yu-Nama: The Puzzle (AKA No Heroes Allowed!)

Bullion Blitz (the only one of those that I've tried) was pretty cool. I still have it installed on my Vita.

I always thought the concept of PlayStation Mobile (their strategy to produce games simultaneously on PS Vita and Android) was an excellent idea. Sony really bungled the execution, though. They were highly restrictive on Android device compatibility, and the way they handled the sunsetting of the service and subsequent removal of access to existing PS Mobile games was deplorable.

Despite PS Mobile's flaws, it managed to deliver some legitimately great games during its short existence. It would be nice to see some of those games resurrected in some form.

Top Bottom