• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony May Have Just Shown A PC Version Of Returnal

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
This was confirmed a while ago in a leaked screenshot that showed RT Reflections, Shadows and even RT lighting. None of the features that were in the PS5 version. Kinda disappointing considering I paid $70 for this fucking thing on day one, but ive learned my lesson. Will wait for these games to come to PC now.

returnal-1.jpg
RT Lighting?

AndrewRyan

I've double dipped on two titles at nearly full price and will happily add Returnal and Ratchet to the list. Plan to buy several more when the price drops. Sony is doing well with their PC strategy so far.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Would you still be disappointed and thinking that the game wasntvisually impressive on the PS5 if the PC port never existed?
I'm honestly surprised that anyone thinks Returnal is even in the conversation for technical showpiece games. It's really not that impressive graphically. Just a lot of randomized rocks and minimal metallic structures. The game has some good uses of particles and some cool tentacles, but that's not that crazy. It looks neat for sure, but the game barely even seems AAA to me. It's from a small studio that only made small indie games.

Last edited:
Why do people act surprised??

EVERYTHING from sony is gonna end on pc, small games sooner than big games most probably.

I think its the opposite, i think the bigger games are gonna come first with only a possibility for them to bother with the smaller titles, and anything from japan studio or pre-2016 seems unrealistic

Its probably not worth the effort for them to port something like the last guardian, shadow of the colossus, gravity rush, concrete genie, older R&C or Infamous titles, etc.

They just want the big money makers or newer games that didn’t get as much sales early on in the ps5 lifecycle due to supply constraints

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Why do people act surprised??

EVERYTHING from sony is gonna end on pc, small games sooner than big games most probably.
They might still realize that pirates + steam users waiting for discounts are not worth it :pie_roffles:

GymWolf

I think its the opposite, i think the bigger games are gonna come first with only a possibility for them to bother with the smaller titles, and anything from japan studio or pre-2016 seems unrealistic
I think the opposite because people don't give a fuck about returnal but you put horizon 2 and ragnarock on pc 6 months after the console release and you are gonna get thousands of angry fanboys because they feel betrayed.

Nobody is gonna give a flying fuck if returnal get a pc release.

I think the opposite because people don't give a fuck about returnal but you put horizon 2 and ragnarock on pc 6 months after the console release and you are gonna get thousands of angry fanboys because they feel betrayed.

Nobody is gonna give a flying fuck if returnal get a pc release.

The thing about Returnal is that it does have very high critical acclaim, and its a game that fits better on the PC. I think sony is gonna take the post release response they had and market it well on a bigger install base.

Not only that but a lot of Housemarques games go to PC. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re doing the port themselves

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
They released many games, i think they did their math already.
Each game is a unique case.
Depends how old is it and how desireable.
I think many pc users had ps4 alongside or watched the game on youtube (like god of war maybe).
ps5 game will be a different ballpark. Probably will sell more

Hugare

I'm honestly surprised that anyone thinks Returnal is even in the conversation for technical showpiece games. It's really not that impressive graphically. Just a lot of randomized rocks and minimal metallic structures. The game has some good uses of particles and some cool tentacles, but that's not that crazy. It looks neat for sure, but the game barely even seems AAA to me. It's from a small studio that only made small indie games.
"Just a lot of randomized rocks and minimal metallic structures". You may not find it impressive, but this is a disservice.

I dont think that Returnal is a graphical benchmark by any means, but its doing some cool stuff with fluid simulation + the batshit insane amount of particles that deserves recognition.

And it clearly wouldnt be able to run on a PS4. You can tell that this game is next gen when you are playing it.

"Barelly even seems AAA", maybe because its gameplay focused. If it was some other game from Sony 1st part studios focused on cinematic storytelling people would take it more seriously. But the polish and content is there.

The thing about Returnal is that it does have very high critical acclaim,

86 on Metacrtic and Game Rankings.

Good game, I enjoyed it, not much replay value but good, not very high critical acclaim though.

For PS5 Demon Souls so far is the only game you can say that with, 92% is the highest "new" console exclusive game this gen so far. Only MS Flight Sim is close.

86 on Metacrtic and Game Rankings.

Good game, I enjoyed it, not much replay value but good, not very high critical acclaim though.

For PS5 Demon Souls so far is the only game you can say that with, 92% is the highest "new" console exclusive game this gen so far. Only MS Flight Sim is close.

86 whether you want to believe it or not IS high (even higher than Ghost of Tsushima which people love around here), it’s also game of the year at the BAFTA’s. It’s especially high for a new IP, that also happens to be incredibly difficult, i wouldn’t be surprised if most reviewers didnt even finish it

Last edited:

Midn1ght

I think many pc users had ps4 alongside or watched the game on youtube (like god of war maybe).
If they keep asking 59.99€ for old games on PC, I doubt it’ll set the charts on fire.

49.99€ was fine, hell, Returnal would probably make more money if they ask 39.99€ for it.

But I doubt 2022 Sony will use common sense regarding pricing.

Would double dip on PC if Sony would manage to provide cross-save/cross-progression, otherwise not motivated to buy again for some minor enhancements. This goes for all games already released or still coming in the future.

GymWolf

They have a team for pc portings, it's their only job, i think that every important game is gonna end on pc sooner or later.

Ozriel

M$FT
Still yet to play it on my PS5. I'll probably still play it there since i'm not sure a PC port will have all the Dual Sense goodies. Not to mention my consoles are hooked up to a much nicer display (OLED C1) than my monitor.

But a PC port is a great decision. It'll probably sell quite well on PC (seems like the perfect genre for that platform) and modders will do wonders with it.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This was from a GDC talk, right? They were showing debug views etc? Then obviously it would be running on PC, all games are developed on PC.

This game obviously is coming to PC, but I'm not sure this confirms it?

3liteDragon

Still yet to play it on my PS5. I'll probably still play it there since i'm not sure a PC port will have all the Dual Sense goodies. Not to mention my consoles are hooked up to a much nicer display (OLED C1) than my monitor.

But a PC port is a great decision. It'll probably sell quite well on PC (seems like the perfect genre for that platform) and modders will do wonders with it.
I thought Sony released DualSense drivers for PC a while back.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

I thought Sony released DualSense drivers for PC a while back.
Yeah since the DualSense SDK came out, pretty much every game that has DualSense features on PS5 has those same features on PC.
Its probably just easier for devs to leave those on than to remove them for the PC release.

I would be absolutely shocked if whoever is porting Returnal decided to deactivate the DualSense features.

86 whether you want to believe it or not IS high (even higher than Ghost of Tsushima which people love around here), it’s also game of the year at the BAFTA’s. It’s especially high for a new IP, that also happens to be incredibly difficult, i wouldn’t be surprised if most reviewers didnt even finish it

High critical acclaim is usually reserved for 90 or higher. Critical acclaim is 80 or higher.

Stuart360

PS5 is gonna be the first playstation console with no Exclusive, thanks Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst, amazing work.
But why does it bother you if PC gamers also get to enjoy those games?. I mean from your post i take it your a PS gamer so yeah why does it bother you?.
Does it lessen your enjoyment of the games if you know PC players are also enjoying them?, are you one of those PS fanboys that gave MS shit for years for putting their games on PC and now feel conflicted and Jimmy has put you in a uncomfortable position?, why is it?.

Stuart360

The entire game takes place in dark caves and ruins, what RT reflections do you even think you’ll be seeing?

RT doesn’t automatically equal a better gaming experience, it’s useful for some games and completely irrelevant for others.
Irrelevant for the vast majority of games to be honest. In fact i'm still sticking to my guns and will say that the majority of people wouldnt even know a game is using RT if they didnt already know.

https://gameluster.com/sony-may-have-just-shown-a-pc-version-of-returnal/

It looks like Returnal may be the next PC game brought over from the PS5 by Sony's newly formed PC department. It's not too surprising though I expect several of the early games to be brought to PC, such as the Demon Souls Remake, Ratchet and Clank, and others. Some online are upset about Sony expanding their software reach, for some reason, but given how surprisingly low Returnal Sold when Sony dropped that last sales dump a long time ago, this may be what the game needs to be a bigger success by reaching more players. So if you put hate for Jim Ryan aside, this can only be a good thing for Sony and it's studios.

Returnal being on PC can also take advantage of the tech upgrade, making the game even better. I felt it was a bt limited to the hardware, and not because the PS5 wasn't capable, but because it was the teams first ambitious game and it was released early in the PS5's lifecycle. So they never had a chance to really get used to the hardware and tools, but by expanding to PC, it can only be positive for the dev studio.

Games like Returnal will have legs for a long time, especially on PC.

I love how everyone pretends that GTA, Witcher, and Red Dead sold at full price their whole life cycles. Witcher 3 has sold for as little as 8 dollars...

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
PS5 is gonna be the first playstation console with no Exclusive, thanks Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst, amazing work.
Who cares? More games for me, more money for Sony, better sales numbers for the game and those who care, everybody wins.

ClosBSAS

That "SDR (PC)" only means that this debug demo was captured on a PC without HDR, which is what devs use to develop the game and test stuff like what is shown in the demo. Console only games are also developed using PC, this doesn't confirm anything.

These were only sales of a very short period, during the console's launch window where the very supply constrained console still had a small userbase. It's also a new IP on a nichey genre, plus also the first bigger game from a team that until now made not super selling small games.

Everything considered Sony was happy enough with its sales and reception to buy the studio. There was nothing wrong with these sales numbers, which were a tiny portion of the sales the game will sale across all its lifetime.
We have leaked screenshots of the game and a steam database. It's coming. Get ready.

Stuart360

I'm not big into Roguelikes, although i will def try this gameon PC. I'm really interested to se what other PC gamers think about the game though. Roguelikes are a pretty big genre on PC, and it will be interesting to see if they think this is a good roguelike. They wont be influenced by pretty graphics, and being a 'console exclusive' obviously wont be a factor in how they judge the games quality.

Top Bottom