• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Naughty Dog will be on Vita, all of our studios [Naughty Dog: Nope]

StuBurns

Banned
Three years from now the fate of the PSV will have already been determined, it's now or it'll never matter. PS4 on the other hand can be elevated from ND content.

SykoTech

Completely unfazed by the update.

Personally I just want to see more big, unique titles on Vita like Gravity Rush. Don't really care about developer pedigree, as long as the games don't feel like after thoughts or side titles. Marketing is much more important than "A-team" developers in terms of sales anyway, as Massa already noted.

Chris_C

Its probably nothing to do with Naughty Dog and everything to do with Sony. Sony probably wants ND working on the PS4 as opposed to the Vita.

It's quite clear that Sony doesn't dictate to NDI in that way. They want to work on PS3, they don't want to make another Jak and Daxter. Why are folks so eager to see ghosts around a=every corner?

Guys. GUYS! Sony saying you will see Naughty Dog on the Vita did not ever mean that Naughty Dog were already working on a title. Yes, some of you are right in saying "well they would never force Naughty Dog to do it for risk of blah blah blah." But that doesn't mean that Sony, as the parent company, can't strongly suggest and hint and incentivize Vita development. Shit, it really isn't even that complicated. "Wow, you Naughty Dogs sure are great! We'd really be honored if you were to make a game for the Vita! Man... that would be so AWESOME! We'd even be willing to give you X... oh, you're really interested in doing that, you say?"

Finish Last of Us and Uncharted 4 for PS4, and then evaluate where things are and a Vita game may come. Not to mention both of those other games might have Vita functionality. In fact, I will go so far to say as The Last of Us will be on the Vita in some respect.

yeah, Naughty Dog has their hands full with Last of Us and inevitable PS4 title (whether it's Uncharted or another new IP, most likely Uncharted).

so unless people want Last of Us to be Vita title instead (which I sure hope not), or ND PS4 title to come years into PS4 lifecycle instead of in the first year, I think we should let ND some slack for not developing for Vita right now. seriously, ND has always been a 1 game at a time studio, and suddenly you want them to expand into 3 team? that's nuts.

stupei

lol, that certainly wasn't what dragged THQ down. Really poor comparison.

You just don't get how the industry works. Many people are in it because it's something they're passionate about. People join the game industry knowing there are going to be longer hours and less pay/benefits compared to a similar position in a different industry, because the tradeoff is a fun and creative environment where you can work on things you love. Now... it certainly doesn't always work that way, because I doubt anyone dreams about working on licensed dreck, but someone has to make it. Just like someone has to make the handheld games. But the people making those typically aren't the top tier talent, they're the people advancing their careers to move up and out of that. The best and brightest of the industry don't have to work on projects that don't interest them, and their talent is such that they can dictate that... and that's part of the allure of the job.

Sure, there are some people out there who truly love handhelds, and there are some people out there who get a kick out of seeing how much they can draw out of less powerful hardware, but it simply isn't something that motivates the majority of western developers.

You know, a lot of people in a different but not all that dissimilar branch of the entertainment industry used to think that working in TV was well beneath the ability of those who could work in the clearly superior medium of film.

It's possible for even the creatively inclined to be very wrong about the full capabilities of a platform.

Massa said:
I think Amy Hennig is essential to the Uncharted franchise. Without her writing Uncharted 3 would get slaughtered for the mediocre game that it is.

You think that's the case, but you will be surprised. Uncharted 3 writing was just mediocre.

I think you two are actually in agreement on that, though I could be wrong...

kuroshiki

I think Amy Hennig is essential to the Uncharted franchise. Without her writing Uncharted 3 would get slaughtered for the mediocre game that it is.

You think that's the case, but you will be surprised. Uncharted 3 writing was just mediocre.

I think you two are actually in agreement on that, though I could be wrong...

He's saying Uncharted3 was mediocre game sans the writing. He's saying Amy's writing was saving grace for Uncharted 3. I think they were all mediocre.

kuroshiki

Guys. GUYS! Sony saying you will see Naughty Dog on the Vita did not ever mean that Naughty Dog were already working on a title. Yes, some of you are right in saying "well they would never force Naughty Dog to do it for risk of blah blah blah." But that doesn't mean that Sony, as the parent company, can't strongly suggest and hint and incentivize Vita development. Shit, it really isn't even that complicated. "Wow, you Naughty Dogs sure are great! We'd really be honored if you were to make a game for the Vita! Man... that would be so AWESOME! We'd even be willing to give you X... oh, you're really interested in doing that, you say?"

Finish Last of Us and Uncharted 4 for PS4, and then evaluate where things are and a Vita game may come. Not to mention both of those other games might have Vita functionality. In fact, I will go so far to say as The Last of Us will be on the Vita in some respect.

Naughty Dog actually has only 1 year time window from Vita launch. It is now or never.

Also, Media Molecule, Guerilla are not exactly 1st rate studio in my opinion. They have been pumping semi-mediocre games in the past and they are not exactly sleeper hit maker.

injurai

Banned
ND needs to be grinding at that Uncharted 4 for PS4 launch day if Sony has any smarts left in dem dare heads.

Naughty Dog has made a name for themselves. People will by games for being made by them similar to Valve or Bethesda. Personally I would like Uncharted to be laid to rest for a while and see a new IP developed. Unless we start seeing some huge innovations within the Uncharted franchise.

J-Rzez

Naughty Dog has made a name for themselves. People will by games for being made by them similar to Valve or Bethesda. Personally I would like Uncharted to be laid to rest for a while and see a new IP developed. Unless we start seeing some huge innovations within the Uncharted franchise.

I think it's just the characters that I really ended up enjoying. I'm still not burnt out on them, something I can't say about many other characters made up just this gen, let alone those that carried over the gens.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
In before DCharlie spin.

What's there to spin?

Naughty Dog are a AAA+ grade dev house and their not currently making a mobile game - it's a disappointment.

*shrug*

also - since when am i the Sony/Vita spokesman?? I know i'm apparently "in every Vita thread" but so are several doom merchants and i don't think i've spat any wild defense other than to laugh at the doom peddlers.

I'm also in most if not all 3DS threads pimping away - how come i didn't get the spokesman job for that ?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What's there to spin?

Naughty Dog are a AAA+ grade dev house and their not currently making a mobile game - it's a disappointment.

*shrug*

also - since when am i the Sony/Vita spokesman?? I know i'm apparently "in every Vita thread" but so are several doom merchants and i don't think i've spat any wild defense other than to laugh at the doom peddlers.

I'm also in most if not all 3DS threads pimping away - how come i didn't get the spokesman job for that ?

3z1TF.jpg

I just tease, don't get so worked up.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I just tease, don't get so worked up

It's okay - i'm going to permaban you over at that other place ;)

I -still- don't know why/how i've not got the 3DS ambassador role yet! I've been plugging away since pre-launch! I need to up my C R A Z EE E E levels, i think i'm too sedate for that crowd.

Since Naughty Dog is expanding so much, I think it'd be great if they could siphon off some talent (not a huge team) to make AAA content on the Vita, not necessarily in the style of Uncharted or the Last of Us, but perhaps a spectacular new platformer IP. Those seem to be well suited for handhelds and don't require as much resources.

rockx4

It's okay - i'm going to permaban you over at that other place ;)

I -still- don't know why/how i've not got the 3DS ambassador role yet! I've been plugging away since pre-launch! I need to up my C R A Z EE E E levels, i think i'm too sedate for that crowd.

Didn't you know, supporting both Vita and 3DS is unheard of. You gotta pick a side!

Top Bottom