• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Naughty Dog will be on Vita, all of our studios [Naughty Dog: Nope]

StuBurns

Banned
Then don't do an infamous .. I'm all for a new portable IP...

ANd besides isn't gravity daze doing it ( open world ) pretty well ? ( asking here since i didn't have a moment to test the game )
Why do you care what they call the game if it's basically the same game?

And I have no idea if GR is open world, or if it's good. I know a lot of people claimed GTA was good on PSP, and those games are terrible.

plainr_

So I guess we can expect Gran Turismo Vita sometime around 2016? Or is that too optimistic?

Sounds realistic. I expect PD to treat the mobile games as side projects again. Not that I mind though. Obviously I would much rather have them focus on a console GT for PS4.

udivision

Uh... I thought Naughty Dog made Uncharted???
Like, the game that's already on Vita? Or... did we think they were 1 and done?

Uh... I thought Naughty Dog made Uncharted???
Like, the game that's already on Vita? Or... did we think they were 1 and done?

it's made by Bend, the guy who make syphon filter games and resistance retribution on psp. we know this since the game is revealed. the game is still great btw.

Another interesting quote from the GT interview: Longworth says that one of Sony's measures for Vita's success is to have the best-selling dedicated handheld, which is both absurdly unrealistic and not something I recall hearing from Yoshida, House et al.

And I have no idea if GR is open world, or if it's good. I know a lot of people claimed GTA was good on PSP, and those games are terrible.

Because it wont be the same mecanics of infamous if it isnt open world??.

Kazerei

Banned
This is great news. Sony needs to take handheld game development seriously if they want to succeed. They can't rely on third parties again. I just felt like many of their first party PSP games were shorter and watered-down versions of PS2 games.

A 3D open world one on PSV seems silly, it's just going to be the same, but look or run worse. I think open world is the complete opposite of what portable gaming should be attempting.

Infamous is not a strong enough brand to warrant a vastly different game getting the same name.

jgmo870

Banned

It is open world. So far I haven't seen one negative review of it.

KageMaru

I would love to see ND create an entirely new IP specifically for Vita, so I'm curious to find out what they have cooking.

Why are certain news stories having to come from reporters asking questions?

Someone had to ask "Will there be a call of duty on Vita this year?"
Someone has clearly asked "Will naughty dog develop on Vita themselves?"

Reporters are having to go out of their way to create positive stories here, isn't this Sony's job?

StuBurns

Banned
Please ..it's an evolution of gameplay mecanics made possible by new hardware power... it's hardly the same thing ....

besides it can do open world ( the vita ), changing the structure is unnecessary.
The fact it can do it is a terrible reason to decide to do it. If all they'd do is make a worse looking InFamous, I really don't see the point. That's everything that's bad about handheld gaming.

But we're clearly never going to agree, so best to live and let live I think.

prwxv3

Why are certain news stories having to come from reporters asking questions?

Someone had to ask "Will there be a call of duty on Vita this year?"
Someone has clearly asked "Will naughty dog develop on Vita themselves?"

Reporters are having to go out of their way to create positive stories here, isn't this Sony's job?

wat

The fact it can do it is a terrible reason to decide to do it. If all they'd do is make a worse looking InFamous, I really don't see the point. That's everything that's bad about handheld gaming.

anyway, if we're throwing ideas about infamous vita with new type of gameplay, I'd say, make it 4 player co-op game, each with a new character with their own upgradable good/evil power. something like X-Men Legends but with various traversal ability like jump and climb the level.

Is there a problem with your reading comprehension, my mono-syllabic friend?

It shouldn't have come to a question asked in this launch interview for the news that Call of Duty was going to be on Vita this year. This is something Sony should be advertising from the get-go. A logo in the background of your E3 presentation, that you don't even mention or talk about, doesn't cut it.

And likewise it shouldn't have come to this EuroGamer interview and a question asked for Sony to say that, yes, they are putting all their top teams on Vita - including Naughty Dog. Especially as Sony Bend developing Uncharted Vita might have led to the perception that they weren't doing that.

I'm saying reporters, who are just doing their jobs, are doing a better job of Vita PR than Sony are. In my opinion, of course.

prwxv3

Is there a problem with your reading comprehension, my mono-syllabic friend?

It shouldn't have come to a question asked in this launch interview for the news that Call of Duty was going to be on Vita this year. This is something Sony should be advertising from the get-go. A logo in the background of your E3 presentation, that you don't even mention or talk about, doesn't cut it.

And likewise it shouldn't have come to this EuroGamer interview and a question asked for Sony to say that, yes, they are putting all their top teams on Vita - including Naughty Dog. Especially as Sony Bend developing Uncharted Vita might have led to the perception that they weren't doing that.

I'm saying reporters, who are just doing their jobs, are doing a better job of Vita PR than Sony are. In my opinion, of course.

Reporters have gone out of their way to create doom stories much more then positive stories.

i find it funny that being "maybe" worse looking is a valid reason to change the gameplay ..

The vita , if anything is a machine capable to do it.

I play to have fun ... In an open world game all i want is the right tools to enjoy the gameplay experience.. Changing the entire structure because it might be too much for the console is something that only spin-offs should do. At this point , it's almost better to create a new IP. I'm all for a change of gameplay to adapt to a new hardware however , but that isn't the case here.( or is it ? )

Probably the same thought process was used for Assasin creed ( Ds ) ..the result was a "meh " experience at best. BUT THOSE TIMES HAVE PASSED

Handled gaming is getting more powerfull each gen.. at this point outputting open world game is possible with a talented studio...Then all i want is more of the same ..but on the Go.

Comet

I just want to see more Jak/Sly/Ratchet type of games. These studios could use the Vita to pump out new stuff in these series while they wait for the PS4 to be developed more. Quite frankly I love Uncharted and inFamous, but I want my colorful and light-hearted games too.

monome

I' m saying this again and again...but episodic content should happen and VITA is best suited.

Having a chunk of my favorite franchises, reday to follow me dring vacations/travels will redeem any lesser graphics or not so dramatic stories.

Focused episodes that offer a few hours of gameplay with some replayability at a reasonnable price.

They could sell 2 episodes together at retail with maybe some MP component.

Reporters have gone out of their way to create doom stories much more then positive stories.

Ah I see.. in that case, I don't disagree. They're good at both tarring and rarr-rarring.
I just meant it'd probably be healthy to see Sony making more of their own news themselves.

This. I'm tempted to buy a Vita on Day 1 but I don't want to end up with a handheld where I'm playing games that could/should have been on the PS3. I want Vita games that are distinctly Vita.

Just looking at the launch lineup I think you should be able to recognize there will be plenty of PS3 ports on the Vita, with the occasional unique experience to be had.

injurai

Banned
Jak and Daxter Vita would be great,

But Ratchet and Clank HD Collection on Vita would be the most amazing thing I could possibly conceive.

Sony has hopefully realized the importance of not letting your handheld be perceived as the kid brother console.

One of the keys to Nintendo's success in this area is that they didn't just give Mario Kart 3DS to Next Level Games and told them to make a go of it, they used the main Mario Kart team that made the other games. Which even if it does not produce radically different experiences, it gives people who are familiar with the series an idea of the baseline quality they can expect from it.

Sony's seemingly always had trouble getting their own perceptions of their handhelds as places just as viable to develop on as their consoles. The first step is showing that they themselves believe this to be the case.

Yes, this is incredibly important.

When Mario and Mariokart games come out on portable systems they are worked on by the same studios who made the console versions. Even some of the titles, like Mariokart 7, reference that it's part of the main series. NSMB got a Wii sequel, ect...

Sony and third parties on the PSP were extra careful to include subtitles that made many games feel like less important spinoff games. Development was treated the same way, as well. Games like Gran Turismo on the PSP were treated like an afterthought. A new franchise or new numbered entries in popular IPs by some of Sony's larger studios could go a long way to breaking that perception.

jgmo870

Banned
Yes, this is incredibly important.

When Mario and Mariokart games come out on portable systems they are worked on by the same studios who made the console versions. Even some of the titles, like Mariokart 7, reference that it's part of the main series. NSMB got a Wii sequel, ect...

Sony and third parties on the PSP were extra careful to include subtitles that made many games feel like less important spinoff games. Development was treated the same way, as well. Games like Gran Turismo on the PSP were treated like an afterthought. A new franchise or new numbered entries in popular IPs by some of Sony's larger studios could go a long way to breaking that perception.

The thing is, Nintendo does the exact same thing Sony does, just not to the same extent.

Case in point: handheld Zelda games. They've always felt like less important spinoffs. How long has it been since Ganondorf made an appearance in an original handheld game as the main villain? And third parties did the exact same thing on the DS. The Four Heroes of Light, Ninja Gaiden, Chinatown Wars... Strange Journey didn't even get a number next to it.

Agent X

You might see Naughty Dog on Vita...as soon as the PS1 compatibility is introduced, you'll be able to play all of their Crash Bandicoot games on the Vita.

Seriously, I'd love to see what Naughty Dog could do on the Vita.

Top Bottom