• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony needs to make Astro Bot the official PlayStation mascot and invest significantly in Team Asobi

Should Astro become the official PS mascot

• Yes

Votes: 175 78.1%
  • No

Votes: 49 21.9%

• Total voters

FrostyLemon

Ratchet and Clank are the mascots Sony should have been pushing. I haven't played his games yet but he just looks too generic to be a mascot. Someone just slapped some legs on that robot from WALL-E and called it a day.

Yoboman

Ratchet and Clank are the mascots Sony should have been pushing. I haven't played his games yet but he just looks too generic to be a mascot. Someone just slapped some legs on that robot from WALL-E and called it a day.
If only Sony were making a AAA quality Ratchet game :goog_unsure:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I've had a PS5 since launch and haven't even played it yet. I'll try it eventually and let you know how it is. It looks cool.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
astro x sack
Astrosack. I can dig it.

giphy.gif

RPSleon

Is there any part of the game where it shows any character, any likeable traits? Just seems like a bit of a husk.

FrostyLemon

They did? Ratchet game are all multi million sellers

I understand that, but they don't push R&C as hard as they do their cinematic AAA games. Sony probably wont ever have a mascot like Sonic or Mario because they don't really prioritise those types of games with their marketing. Kratos is probably the closest thing to a Sony mascot.

Yoboman

I understand that, but they don't push R&C as hard as they do their cinematic AAA games. Sony probably wont ever have a mascot like Sonic or Mario because they don't really prioritise those types of games with their marketing. Kratos is probably the closest thing to a Sony mascot.
They gave Ratchet the premier time slot on the unveiling of their new console, they've also done a movie for it (even if it wasn't great)

I'd also argue that it along with Jak and God of War were the most marketed games in the PS2 era. Its also one of the few games featured on their studio logo

Probably the only issue for Ratchet is they made too many. They went for quantity over quality and it became a bit stale and Insomniac took a break which was healthy for the series

I hope the new game is something of a re emergence for the franchise

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Astro Bot Rescue Mission and Astro's Playroom are both amazing games that generate a sense of awe and wonderment that players rarely get to experience these days. Team Asobi has managed to create games that have that Nintendo magic, something I never thought I'd see outside of Nintendo. The Astro games are so polished, smooth and full of intricate details, you can really sense the love from the devs who poured so much into making them.

A team this talented could definitely create a few other beloved franchises or even Astro Bot spin-offs (I'd buy Astro Kart in a second). Woldwide Studios has got the third person action adventure games down, but I feel like Sony should invest more into Japan Studio as there's a lot of really great and unique games that put a smile on my face which come out of there.

Hopefully the fact that Astro's Playroom is included with every PS5 will get more people to appreciate the franchise and Team Asobi. Resuce Mission was a masterpiece but too few people got to experience it due to the necessity of having a PSVR to play it. Even though I have Miles Morales I really couldn't put Astro's Playroom down until I got the Platinum trophy, that's how great it was. I just want more and more of this franchise.

No matter if it was Crash, Spyro, Jak or Ratchet, none of them ever really felt like the PlayStation mascot, something always felt off, but with Astro it just feels right. It's like they finally have their Mario or their Sonic. What do you guys think?

39891228293_13c532f352_o.gif
No!

Kat from Gravity Rush should be the official mascot of sony

Impotaku

No, they already have Taro.

42265.png

Toro Inoue is the OG Sony mascot, adorable and had quite a few quirky games, he also has a winning smile lol.
OLi5Rsf.jpg

Going back to the topic, while Astro would be amazing to see in more games the danger comes that there's the risk of oversaturation. At the moment the games are few & far in between. If he got mascot game status and they started churning them out part of what makes these special would run the risk of been ruined. Expanding on the style of rescue mission would help bring Astro to the masses though.

chasimus

Playstation's new audio prompt assistant needs to start with, "Hey Astro!" (like, Hey Google, but with his little robot squeak responding back to you)

JoSneak

Neo Member
Toro Inoue is the OG Sony mascot, adorable and had quite a few quirky games, he also has a winning smile lol.
OLi5Rsf.jpg

Going back to the topic, while Astro would be amazing to see in more games the danger comes that there's the risk of oversaturation. At the moment the games are few & far in between. If he got mascot game status and they started churning them out part of what makes these special would run the risk of been ruined. Expanding on the style of rescue mission would help bring Astro to the masses though.

NICE

thelastword

Banned
I can see Astro taking things to new levels. Toys, Astro could be a portable A.I device like Alexa. Notwithstanding the Astro games are just perfection relative to platforming.......Astro has everything needed to become an iconic phenomenon.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Nope. When you try to force something on the public as a mascot or figurehead, it never goes well. Just let people enjoy the character for what it is. Playstation branding does not need a ‘face’.

My 1st thaught was nooooooo, we're not in the 90s anymore.

Then I remembered my first contact with the little dudes in my ds4... I have to concede.

These little robots are kind of intimate with the platform at this point, they live in the console and the controllers. I think they're more mascoty because of this.

BlackM1st

Banned
lolno

Sony's mascots is its AAA game studios.
It's not 90s anymore.

Owning console Spidey and having Ratchet is all they need in terms of "mass/kids appeal".

Keihart

A cool thing about Astro is that it works as a means to resurface the PS legacy and mix with it in the same style that Nintendo does with the Mario spinoffs.
It was very not out of place to see all those references in Astro's playroom, and this is something that sony doesn't have. As a brand they could really benefit from having some IP that can unite everything and it really doesn't hurt that Astro's games have been really outstanding.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Sony has failed many times, with the most successful one (Crash Bandicoot) being a 3rd party character. I don't think they need another failure attempt.

Kerotan

Sony doesn't have 1 mascot they have many. But yes it should be one of them and investing in that team wouldn't be a bad idea.

Of course mascots are still around. Their popularity is built into the whole ecosystem.

They printed a Master Chief helmet onto every Xbox Series mobo!

MrMephistoX

There simply has to be another Astrobot VR game. It's such a shame tens of millions of gamers have missed out on a game that is pure unadulterated magical happiness!
I loved astros play room. I've owned every playstation on launch and it's such joy reliving it's past. That final boss made me almost well up. it's the best platformer I've played for ages.

All for this. I have a feeling PSVR2 might actually do gang busters if they can make it wireless.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Most people don't realize that AstroBot had his first outing in VR in the demo disc with a few original levels. Then the crown jewel was the full VR game AstroBot Rescue Mission which was AMAZING. Too bad most people don't know about this game and most have not played it. It is an experience in VR. Even as much (and more than) the Astro's Playroom tech demo 'game'. If anyone has VR or can get it cheap, try Rescue Mission!

Last edited:

JonkyDonk

I think they kinda already did. Everyone who gets a PS5 will now associate Astro with the console and the brand. It just depends on how much further they go with it and how much money they put into the next game. I would love a big budget action platformer starting Astro and the rest of the PS mascots.

Top Bottom