• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony new studio: ForwardWorks, will make PlayStation IP smartphone games for JP/Asia

chadskin

Sony Computer Entertainment, to be known as Sony Interactive Entertainment from next week, has announced the formation of a new company called ForwardWorks that will focus on smartphone games. In a statement, Sony says it will produce "full-fledged game titles" that make use of PlayStation characters and IP as well as Sony's own experience in the video game market.

There's no indication of when we're likely to see the first titles from ForwardWorks, but Sony says the company will focus on users in Japan and Asia. Atsushi Morita, the head of SCE in Japan and Asia, will be president of the new unit, while the incoming boss of SIE overall, Andrew House, will be a member of the board. The company will be incorporated from April 1st, the same day SCE's transformation into SIE will take effect.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/24/11296898/sony-forwardworks-playstation-smartphone-games

StoopKid

Sony Computer Entertainment, to be known as Sony Interactive Entertainment from next week, has announced the formation of a new company called ForwardWorks that will focus on smartphone games. In a statement, Sony says it will produce "full-fledged game titles" that make use of PlayStation characters and IP as well as Sony's own experience in the video game market.

There's no indication of when we're likely to see the first titles from ForwardWorks, but Sony says the company will focus on users in Japan and Asia. Atsushi Morita, the head of SCE in Japan and Asia, will be president of the new unit, while the incoming boss of SIE overall, Andrew House, will be a member of the board. The company will be incorporated from April 1st, the same day SCE's transformation into SIE will take effect.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/24/11296898/sony-forwardworks-playstation-smartphone-games

Took long enough. Sony, like Nintendo have some IPs that would translate well for the mobile market. Its nice to see them finally put in some effort.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
vCXJBws.gif

This news so soon after Evolution makes me super sad.

Syriel

Too bad Sony doesn't have a mobile ready framework.

Something that integrates with PSN.

Wouldn't that be something?

They could even call it, I dunno, PlayStation Mobile.

Wouldn't that be neat?

Closes Evo, opens a mobile games studio....

In Japan. Evo's shuttering sucks but I somehow doubt they're related.

So I guess we now know why Atsushi Morita was left off the exec list when the SIE restructuring was announced.

Edit: Oops, I fed the troll, didn't I? What a post history.

SarusGray

One that used to have a service called PlayStation Mobile. Which Sony closed last year.

That service was terrible, unmonitored and allowed a bunch of buggy games and shovelware to take up space of actual good games. Hopefully this one is better!

I literally just finished playing Run Sackboy Run a few seconds ago.

It's a really simple Endless Runner with almost no variety but you can unlock costumes for LBP3 in it.

I only have the last one left. I was hoping I could get them from Daily chests just for starting up the App but it doesn't seem to give out the special stickers needed for the costumes.

Woo can't wait for f2p Clash of Clans/Game of War derivatives of their current games:

World of Killzone

Clash of God of War

Uncharted Slots

Little Big Clans

Also, I am genuinely surprised there hasn't been a f2p Uncharted endless runner on ios. Sonic has one. So does Raymond, Lara Croft and Sackboy. Even Dark Souls has one now.

the convo on the latest bombcast about how there are entire generations of young people who not only don't play console games, but actively avoid them and view them as some sort of interactive dad-rock, was sad but also rings true. It's smart for Sony and Nintendo to divert some resources to attract the attention of this segment of the market. They absolutely need to go where the audiences are (iOS and Android) though and not try to launch their own service like PS Mobile.

Woo can't wait for f2p Clash of Clans/Game of War derivatives of their current games:

World of Killzone

Clash of God of War

Uncharted Slots

Little Big Clans

Also, I am genuinely surprised there hasn't been a f2p Uncharted endless runner on ios. Sonic has one. So does Raymond, Lara Croft and Sackboy. Even Dark Souls has one now.

God of War x Infinity Blade makes a lot of sense.

Litttle Big Planet could probably work as a gacha RPG or a Match 3 game.

Crash and Uncharted could both work as endless runners.

Killzone could probably make for a Boom Beach/Clash of Clans "strategy" game.

Top Bottom