• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony NGP game screenshots (Uncharted, Wipeout 2048 & more) [Update 2: Uncharted Gifs]

While I liked homebrew on my PSP, I would much rather the Vita be a lot more locked down if it means less piracy.

That does not mean I want it to be region locked though. I played a bunch of JP games on my PSP (Gundam VS games, Monster Hunter, etc) and I'd be pretty damn disappointed if this wound up being region locked.

yurinka said:
PSP sold like 3 times more than all these devices combined. They weren't serious rivals.
Still, GBA didn't have a captive market, there were competitors. Hell, GBA had less than 4 years on the market before PSP was on shelves too.

KingDizzi

Banned
Which reminds me what OS will Vita be using? I might be getting middled up but I think it's android which is just horrible, hope Sony don't stick with that and rather have their own OS. Simply hate Android but looking at the battery icon on the Vita it seems very much like the Android one which does not fill me with hope.

SolidSnakex said:
Devil Dice was so good. Same for IQ.

Ape Escape is another game that wouldn't have been created without that program. The creator of that actually got his job at Sony through the Net Yarouze program. He's now working on Q Games.
I didn't know that about the Ape Escape creator! IQ was great too, do you know what other games came from these programs? I know Trash Panic and that one Acquire PSP game, anything else?

perfectnight said:
While I liked homebrew on my PSP, I would much rather the Vita be a lot more locked down if it means less piracy.

That does not mean I want it to be region locked though. I played a bunch of JP games on my PSP (Gundam VS games, Monster Hunter, etc) and I'd be pretty damn disappointed if this wound up being region locked.

I'm willing to give up alot of the CFW features if it means less piracy.

lunchwithyuzo said:
I didn't know that about the Ape Escape creator! IQ was great too, do you know what other games came from these programs? I know Trash Panic and that one Acquire PSP game, anything else?

Holy Invastion of Privacy, Badman!
Patchwork Heroes
Doko Demo Issyo
Echochrome
Diamond and the Sound of a Gunshot (Japanese PSP only title)

Those are some of the other games.

teiresias

Crakatak187 said:
A good solution to homebrew would be app support wouldn't it? I don't think we'll be getting that though.

I suppose it depends on how Sony treats the Playstation Suite stuff. I mean, do they require a piece of Playstation Suite software actually be a "game" per say? Could it be a utility of some kind? Of course, the abstraction afforded by the Suite SDK probably doesn't let you take too much advantage of the Vita hardware, unlike direct homebrew support would.

yogaflame said:
Im afraid that majority of SOny E3 talk is about NGP not ps3 :-(

Yea, I'd rather them spend the entire time telling me about Infamous 2, Resistance 3, and Uncharted 3 as these are totally unknown ip's that really need more time in the spotlight.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
yogaflame said:
New hot HW that can take on 3DS and exceed it? I like the sound of it.

And PS3 is as hot as ever. You know the games are coming.

I could see it being split 60/40 in favor of the PS3 or the PSP2. Both will get plenty of stage time. The PSP2 will get time because it's new hardware and they need to get people hyped about it. The PS3 will get time because it's a big money maker for them right now. They're also going to want to make it clear to people that it has a ton of software still in the pipeline since PS4 is still some time away.

Takao

Banned
yogaflame said:

Makes up for the past 5 E3s where Sony spent a grand total of an hour on the PSP. That's 20 minutes a year bro. Last year was like 12 minutes.

Boney

Banned
Takao said:
Makes up for the past 5 E3s where Sony spent a grand total of an hour on the PSP. That's 20 minutes a year bro. Last year was like 12 minutes.
Isn't 20 x 5

100? 98 if we count last year's 12 minutes...

;)

beast786

I actually do not mind more NGP. There are more than enough games on PS3. Present and future.

There is nothing on NGP. I am ready for you NGP. Show me some games.

Kuran

Banned
perfectnight said:

I could only dream of the homebrew possibilities for Vita (Saturn emulation? Full-speed Amiga emulation?) However would much more prefer it to be completely locked down as to preserve its future for software development.

Kuran said:
I could only dream of the homebrew possibilities for Vita (Saturn emulation? Full-speed Amiga emulation?) However would much more prefer it to be completely locked down as to preserve its future for software development.
Is this even possible? We all know the day the Vita gets released every hacker out there is going to try to unlock to just fuck with Sony.

I personally hope it never gets cracked so the devs can actually earn some money for their hard work.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
pharmboy044 said:
Is this even possible? We all know the day the Vita gets released every hacker out there is going to try to unlock to just fuck with Sony.
Well didn't the PS3 get pretty damn close to that until their stupid internal leak of something or other?

Anyway, don't think piracy is all the reason, or the primary reason, the PSP was doing so bad. Piracy on Wii (and DS?) was even easier, later firmwares at least patched PSP up pretty well unlesss you had access to those batteries or already hacked PSPs, and no, not everyone did, at least until recently with the officially signed homebrew. Ok, the Wii has pretty much died also by now but for different reasons, plenty games sold great well after hacking was widespread on the device, well after the PSP stopped selling games.

Gravijah

pharmboy044 said:

I personally hope it never gets cracked so the devs can actually earn some money for their hard work.

It'll get cracked sooner or later.

Alextended said:
Well didn't the PS3 get pretty damn close to that until their stupid internal leak of something or other?

There is no close. All it takes is one tiny hole, a slip up, an oversight. You're either unhackable or hackable.

pharmboy044 said:

Was there any truth to the story about Nintendo bricking 3DS systems if they detected modified firmware? If that was true then you should fully expect the PSP2 to have something similar.

Gravijah

SolidSnakex said:
Was there any truth to the story about Nintendo bricking 3DS systems if they detected modified firmware? If that was true then you should fully expect the PSP2 to have something similar.

I think something similar was said by Nintendo about the Wii, for whatever that is worth.

SolidSnakex said:

not yet....but we didnt even get one update yet....and with sluggish sales they might wait on actually doing it for awhile (if they ever do)

Alextended said:

Anyway, don't think piracy is all the reason, or the primary reason, the PSP was doing so bad. Piracy on Wii (and DS?) was even easier, later firmwares at least patched PSP up pretty well unlesss you had access to those batteries or already hacked PSPs, and no, not everyone did, at least until recently with the officially signed homebrew. Ok, the Wii has pretty much died also by now but for different reasons, plenty games sold great well after hacking was widespread on the device, well after the PSP stopped selling games.
I guess we don't know what type of measures Sony will be taking to keep the Vita locked up. Hopefully they've learned something from the PSP in regards to this.

Also, piracy might not have been the main reason but I'd think it was a significant enough of a reason for the third parties to stop supporting the PSP.

SolidSnakex said:
I had no idea Nintendo was doing this or actually could do this.

M.D

I can't open threads since I'm a junior but SCEE just registered PSVITA and Playstation VITA so it confirmed

Can someone open a thread?

getMarkAttachment

http://oami.europa.eu/CTMOnline/RequestManager/en_SearchAdvanced_NoReg

Search for Sony Computer Entertainment in the Owner field

SolidSnakex said:
I could see it being split 60/40 in favor of the PS3 or the PSP2. Both will get plenty of stage time. The PSP2 will get time because it's new hardware and they need to get people hyped about it. The PS3 will get time because it's a big money maker for them right now. They're also going to want to make it clear to people that it has a ton of software still in the pipeline since PS4 is still some time away.

As long as they don't fucking waste time by giving EA and Activision the stage it would be alright, make it first party stuff only and let the third-party bozos use their own conferences for their shit.

MalboroRed said:
As long as they don't fucking waste time by giving EA and Activision the stage it would be alright, make it first party stuff only and let the third-party bozos use their own conferences for their shit.

Sorry man but I want my BF3 console footage. Sony's conference seems like a good time to sow that. EA's showing last year was fine outside of the boring Tiger Woods demo.

Chiggs

yogaflame said:

Who cares? That hunk of junk is old news.

Unless they announce The Last Guardian NA release date, I really don't give a crap.

Acrylic7

Lando Jones said:
Sigh*
Still hoping Vita is a code name for something else, or just.. no

EDIT - Ahh Hell
What a mess of a company. Damn man. Vita, seriously?

sigh, will wait to I actually see how they spin this thing....... But seriously?

Kuran

Banned
Acrylic7 said:
What a mess of a company. Damn man. Vita, seriously?

sigh, will wait to I actually see how they spin this thing....... But seriously?

At least they actually have the hardware right, isn't that most important?

If we got used to Wii and Dreamcast, we will get used to Vita.

Top Bottom