• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony now warns users that others may record voice party chats on PSN

Ar¢tos

... or get reported for misgendering someone, using the wrong pronoun or causing some other social injustice current year offense. Jeez, I wonder which is more likely? Getting a job offer from Al Qaida on PS Plus or getting reported by some zealous SJW's?

A rhetorical question.
You could always report people for many things, it doesn't mean they will do anything about it.
I reported several hate messages because of sore losers of Dark Souls pvp, some very explicit and Sony sometimes dismissed my reports, even when they clearly violated their TOS. I often received a message from Sony saying no action would be done and the report would be closed.

Lort

Banned

Please stop spreading FUD. The forum is full of it right now.

Lol i literally quoted one of the Playstation press releases and everything i said is 100% consistent with what they are saying.

What are you talking about lololol

Bryank75

Banned
Lol i literally quoted one of the Playstation press releases and everything i said is 100% consistent with what they are saying.

What are you talking about lololol
Where is the proof that they will record you? Where is the proof that they will put a record button in the chat?
Proof. Proof or just stop with all these FUD threads... I am absolutely sick of it....

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
Where is the proof that they will record you? Where is the proof that they will put a record button in the chat?
Proof. Proof or just stop with all these FUD threads... I am absolutely sick of it....

You sick of it? Like the world cares lol

This is how Sony describe it in their own words .. which is exactly what i said.

“Voice chat recording for moderation is a feature that will be available on PS5 when it launches, and will enable users to record their voice chats on PS5 and submit them for moderation review.“

A new feature on the ps5 .. that allows users to record voice chats and submit them for review.

Dont say im spreading FUD, dont say im making stuff up .. but feel free to feel whichever way you want about it.

BeardGawd

Banned
I actually love the random rage party chats or messages I get from others after destroying them online. The sheer absurdity of the comments they make are hilarious. I have never felt the need to report any of them.

If you're so scared of what someone might say to you then don't accept random party chat invites and don't view messages from randoms. Problem solved.

This will ultimately curtail free speech.

Bryank75

Banned

This is how Sony describe it in their own words .. which is exactly what i said.

“Voice chat recording for moderation is a feature that will be available on PS5 when it launches, and will enable users to record their voice chats on PS5 and submit them for moderation review.“

A new feature on the ps5 .. that allows users to record voice chats and submit them for review.

Dont say im spreading FUD, dont say im making stuff up .. but feel free to feel whichever way you want about it.
Well there is an issue here that so much FUD is spread that it is impossible now to tell what is actual news... the cry wolf effect.
So, don't be surprised if your all not believed.

ruvikx

Banned

From the article:

“Following this update, users are seeing a notification about Party Safety and that voice chats in parties may be recorded,” it wrote, in an update posted at some point during Wednesday.
"Voice chat recording for moderation is a feature that will be available on PS5 when it launches, and will enable users to record their voice chats on PS5 and submit them for moderation review.

i.e. recording for MODERATION review. It's clear as day: it's speech policing & encourages snitches to send whatever to the "benevolent" SONY HQ where their apparatchiks can unleash their punishment of choice. They can fuck right off with this.

ruvikx

Banned
I mean you're clearly very concerned that other people can record your voice within the PS5

Why?

This is like a stock comical response from 1984 surveillance state advocates when people have issues with violation of privacy, i.e. "what have you got to hide?"

Personally speaking, nothing. But the people with their fingers on the moderation button might just be the usual demented politically driven agitators common throughout the west in 2020. No trust, no party.

giphy.gif

thelastword

Banned
So Sony indicates to it's consumers that their voices can be recorded during party chat by others and sent to them for moderation.....Basically a heads up to be careful what you say or be careful who you let into your party chats and people who are mostly from the green team throw a hissy fit because they will be so affected by this. Some of them so disingenuous and innate fud spreaders, that they have deduced from very clear words in the update details "that Sony is recording you".....How far must we go.......If you did the update last night and read the details like I did, there would be no confusion. Yet I think, people have been looking for some confusion, some pitchfork scenario for 7 long years.......

ruvikx

Banned
It's funny that the people who do not buy PlayStation or 'just use them for exclusives' are again the most 'concerned'.

It's funny how the people most invested in console warring default to literally creating imaginary B.S. projected onto those they disagree with based on... tales from their backside?

I'll take your "you don't buy PlayStation or only use it for exclusives" & say Hi to my level 259 ps profile.

Bryank75

Banned
It's funny how the people most invested in console warring default to literally creating imaginary B.S. projected onto those they disagree with based on... tales from their backside?

I'll take your "you don't buy PlayStation or only use it for exclusives" & say Hi to my level 259 ps profile.
Am I meant to be convinced by a 259 level account? It's bronze level.

ruvikx

Banned
Am I meant to be convinced by a 259 level account? It's bronze level.

You're a funny guy, I'll give you that. It's like a reverse upside down world where only the biggest dickheads with the highest gamerscore/trophy count without a social life are the ones allowed to criticize the console manufacturer... which I'll presume for argument sake was your initial point (i.e. insinuating anyone "complaining" here isn't a real Playstation gamer).

So I'm only bronze level ps profile? Fuck me then, right. Okay.

KingT731

Actually, if you play on Xbox One in a party, and someone records a gameplay clip, the voice from the party is not included in the clip.

So why is there a specific reason to do this on the PS5?

Probably depends if its a mental illness moderator or Neil Druckmann that gets their hand on your report.

But given how Sony and all the other devs are going full woke atm, probably not as you hurt other people's fragile feelings.
That is how it works on PS4. Unless you allow your voice to be shared in the party setting it's not recorded at all.

VertigoOA

Banned
The new party chat changes are completely trash.

I used to be able to open up a party alone and add players to it as I went.

Now I can only open a chat with another player joined and to add more players.... I have to close the chat and create... another?

I think this is a fucking disaster honestly

This is like a stock comical response from 1984 surveillance state advocates when people have issues with violation of privacy, i.e. "what have you got to hide?"

Personally speaking, nothing. But the people with their fingers on the moderation button might just be the usual demented politically driven agitators common throughout the west in 2020. No trust, no party.

I mean, I don't tend to join parties with strangers to open myself up to those people but if you enjoy that you do you

Last edited:
Must say I like the idea of recording toxic idiots in r6siege/cod and being able to submit for review

might Make people think before they open their mouth

Sethbacca

Oh no, people will have to be civil in chat lest they face the consequences for being insufferable cunts. How will we ever live if you can't fuck someone's mother, tell them to die, or call them a fag or n-bomb every 5 seconds. The horror.

Last edited:

BeardGawd

Banned
Oh no, people will have to be civil in chat lest they face the consequences for being insufferable cunts. How will we ever live if you can't fuck someone's mother, tell them to die, or call them a fag or n-bomb every 5 seconds. The horror.
And you would be banned for using "cunt". See how this works? who cares if someone talks trash. Laugh at it. They're only words. Noone needs to get banned for talking trash.

MastaKiiLA

Still a slippery slope, if you call someone a dumb cunt online while mad you can lose access to all your games, its going to be abused.
Why would you call someone a dumb cunt to begin with? Are you 5? Swearing is fine, but you don't need to direct it at anyone? In any case, even that would only be reported in the rarest of cases. You'd have to be verbally berating someone, in most cases, for them to get mad enough to report you.

People shouldn't forget that reporting incidents is always low-volume relative to the main purpose of whatever activity your engaged in. So if you manage to get yourself reported, you're probably a dick, and it's probably not the first time you've been a dick. Them's the facts. The vast majority of people don't get banned on social media, web forums, streaming sites, or game servers. You earn that scrutiny. It doesn't happen by accident, or a misunderstanding.

Hari Seldon

So is there a way to actually disable the microphone at an OS level? I’m not down with some always on microphone. Won’t have one of these in my house.

recursive

Remember all the concerned trolling over kinect privacy?
Sony got the camera and now openly admit to recording voice chats this gen?
Wtf man?!
AkKk5zs.png
That doesn't say Sony is recording voice chat. It is pretty clear they will review reports sent to them with recordings provided by the submitter.

INC

Still a slippery slope, if you call someone a dumb cunt online while mad you can lose access to all your games, its going to be abused.

No doubt in the comp online scene, people will do anything to win (and they really do, I use to run a league with about 50-60 teams, was the worst gaming experience of my life, all so toxic and try hard, trying to fuck other teams over, just to get a virtual win)

Ar¢tos

You don't get insta banned when you are reported.
You get warnings first, and if you keep doing shit and being reported you get temporary suspended from online activity. Ban is after that, if you keep doing shit.

If you are a decent human being, you have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to fear from this moderation.
If you are a piece of shit, then you might get what you deserve.

INC

You don't get insta banned when you are reported.
You get warnings first, and if you keep doing shit and being reported you get temporary suspended from online activity. Ban is after that, if you keep doing shit.

If you are a decent human being, you have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to fear from this moderation.
If you are a piece of shit, then you might get what you deserve.

Neogaf Is fucked then
mod edit: this user has been muted. The relevant audio has been packaged up into an .m4a and sent to the proper authorities for review. In order to file an appeal please send a picture to the support address with either blue or mauve tinted hair visible.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Do people go into voice chats with people they dont know?

I have had ps4 since launch and only people I have had party chat are friends.

And on most online games nobody usually uses mic, and annoying ones can be just muted

This is not a problem, more than someone taking your pictures at public place. If you fear it, fear a ninja suit.

If you fear being recorded, dont go chat with strangers, why would you need to anyway

And anyway if you have to and some stranger calls you a homo-faggot-turd = be an adult/better person and just laugh it off

Only simple minded and selfish people get offended what some strangers says to you, their words should have no impact.

I sort of agree with you, but this isn't just about strangers or getting easily offended by things they say. It's also about the potential chilling effect it could have when communicating and interacting with anyone, friend or foe. IF this function works as I suggest below*, just think about it; Would you have identical interactions with friends and family if you knew you were continuously recorded at all times? I know for sure I wouldn't.. It's one thing to be aware that someone MIGHT record you in secret, which is even potentially a crime where I live, but it's an entirely new universe when you know that you are always recorded verbatim.

* Now, we don't yet know exactly how this feature will be implemented. But my guess is that Sony will try to continuously record voice chat in the background and that the user optionally may activate an export of a certain amount of minutes of voice chat audio back in time from the time of activation to get the fuller context of what happened. It wouldn't be fair to do it any other way IMO, so that's my assumption. And if so, it really is an always-on recording. ..Which would be bad, really bad. We'll see..

Also, if Sony does this, it means that they've most likely also been in talks and collaborations with other companies and entities about this issue. So I expect to see f.ex. also MS "announcing" the same features in the near future.

Last edited:

Drewpee

Banned
Update:

Remember all the concerned trolling over kinect privacy?
Sony got the camera and now openly admit to recording voice chats this gen?
Wtf man?!
AkKk5zs.png

This is the type of practice that I am legitimately worried about Sony fans defending. This was not ok for Xbox with Kinect and I think what Sony has decided to do is even more intrusive.

I hope that PS fans rip Sony apart because this is going to set a TERRIBLE precedent.

Handy Fake

This is the type of practice that I am legitimately worried about Sony fans defending. This was not ok for Xbox with Kinect and I think what Sony has decided to do is even more intrusive.

I hope that PS fans rip Sony apart because this is going to set a TERRIBLE precedent.
Keep reading.

For all you tinfoil motherfuckers out there you could always open the Dualsense and disconnect the mic.
It's not even that really. Just don't join a party chat if you can't control yourself around strangers.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

And you would be banned for using "cunt". See how this works? who cares if someone talks trash. Laugh at it. They're only words. Noone needs to get banned for talking trash.

Yeah, I use the acceptable lingo for the environment I'm operating within. I have never accidentally called someone a cunt or blurted it out, because I'm not some child who has no control over my mouth or emotions. Besides, cunt is on the same level as asshole or something similar for me. What really needs to stop are the edgelords who tell everyone to go kill themselves and call every other person a faggot or n-bomb. I would keyword ban every one of these insufferable kids for a month at a time until they learn to control their tempers.

It’s not about blatant spying, it’s the principle of the matter. No one is taking Sony out of context; the policy is just bad on its own.

By all means say you don’t care but don’t try to make it seem like there’s absolutely no issue here.

Sethbacca

I would literally pay a premium to play with only other verified accounts of people that couldn't create a new account to get around a ban in 5 seconds. Online gamers are the reason I've moved back to Sony single player exclusives in a big way over the last generation.

Handy Fake

It’s not about blatant spying, it’s the principle of the matter. No one is taking Sony out of context; the policy is just bad on its own.

By all means say you don’t care but don’t try to make it seem like there’s absolutely no issue here.
Do you think that a player should have to put up with, say for sake of argument, racial abuse ruining their enjoyment of a game without recourse to report it?

Calhoun

Neo Member
S Sweep14 N NEbeast SynTha1 SynTha1 GrayFoxPL GrayFoxPL
"We occasionally review a low volume of voice recordings sent from one Xbox user to another when there are reports that a recording violated our terms of service and we need to investigate. This is done to keep the Xbox community safe and is clearly stated in our Xbox terms of service."

Top Bottom