• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony now warns users that others may record voice party chats on PSN

Skyfox

I want a hard switch on that fucking mic that NO ONE asked for.

Like we've been able to pop in our micd earphones for years if we wanted a fucking mic.

Its fucking big brother cunting all over our games AGAIN.

Lort

Banned
Theres like 8 pages of posts. I dont know who you are or and I haven’t read your posts.

Fud means fear, uncertainty and doubt. Which it seems like people are trying to create.

and this post means its mostly bullshit

zUmuLwH.jpg

And
From twitter

Hello! The notification advises you that other users may be recording your voice conversation. We do no record party chats. ^PS

hence people created FUD for no reason

Lol for the tenth time to quote what it is above .. for those with reading disorders...

Voice chat recording is a new feature of ps5 dashboard.

Voice recordings will be sent to sony for moderation and review.

Sony records the audio after being initiated by another user without your consent.

Sony reviews your voice chat to confirm if is appropriate or not.

I am as i said before 100% correct .. there is no FUD just the truth bother.

Kokoloko85

Lol for the tenth time to quote what it is above .. for those with reading disorders...

Voice chat recording is a new feature of ps5 dashboard.

Voice recordings will be sent to sony for moderation and review.

Sony records the audio after being initiated by another user without your consent.

Sony reviews your voice chat to confirm if is appropriate or not.

I am as i said before 100% correct .. there is no FUD just the truth bother.

So are Sony recording voice chats or other users may be?

tryDEATH

Hilarious people thinking this is nothing, since when have we had voice chat and never had this explicit of a "warning". This is Sony's way to deal with "problematic" people, making it seem like other people have reported the person. They clearly are moving towards more censorship, first it was those "problematic" Japanese games they banned, then they pretended to care for their customer when the blocked cross-play, which was horse shit. They are clearly on a power trip at this point and this is just another step in that direction.

Welcome to The United Peoples Republic of Sony.

Lort

Banned
So are Sony recording voice chats or other users may be?
The recording is initiated by the user, but done by the playstation hardware using a new inbuilt feature, then submitted by the playstation directoy to sony.
Sony is DOING the recording using a new inbuilt feature which is why the change in the TOS and customer consent is required.

Kokoloko85

The recording is initiated by the user, but done by the playstation hardware using a new inbuilt feature, then submitted by the playstation directoy to sony.
Sony is DOING the recording using a new inbuilt feature which is why the change in the TOS and customer consent is required.

Yeah this doesnt bother me, I doubt my friends are going to initiate recording me lol. Especially considering they say way worse stuff than me

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Hilarious people thinking this is nothing, since when have we had voice chat and never had this explicit of a "warning". This is Sony's way to deal with "problematic" people, making it seem like other people have reported the person. They clearly are moving towards more censorship, first it was those "problematic" Japanese games they banned, then they pretended to care for their customer when the blocked cross-play, which was horse shit. They are clearly on a power trip at this point and this is just another step in that direction.

CDJgW80.gif

I'm pretty sure that's not going to save you from being reported for abuse. It would make no sense to have a report feature that can be evaded by settings in the dashboard.
I'm not bothered either way. I rarely have my mic plugged in anyway, and when i do, it's with friends. And even in the rare times it's with strangers, i don't act like a bitch and watch what i say.

EDMIX

Still a slippery slope, if you call someone a dumb cunt online while mad you can lose access to all your games, its going to be abused.

Ok...did you read what you posted? You mean if someone violates the terms, they can loose access to all the games licensed digitally that they legally don't own?

Very first world issue here.

Don't want to "lose access" stop "renting" with buying digital games. You have no legal ownership over that content, if such a thing is sooooooo important to you, buy the majority of your games on disk.

If you don't want to be banned, crazy....actually follow those terms. I don't worry about that as I'm not calling anyone that online. Over voice or message. So I don't get this whole "wooooow I can't believe they are banning people for breaking the rules listed and actually doing it" concept.

What did you really think was going to happen though? So that doesn't sound like anyone is abusing anything, YOU NEED TO ACTUALL VIOLATE THE RULES for that that happen, in that case....what is being abused? The other user MADE you make those statements or?

Last edited:
California is a two party consent law when it comes to recording. File them lawsuits. Because Trump said we can sue them and win LOTS OF MONEY.
MeekMarvelousAmericanindianhorse-size_restricted.gif

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
The outrage over this on twitter is a hilarious.
So many people claiming they wont buy a PS5 now when they know full well they'd pimp their own mother to buy it.

timmyp53

California is a two party consent law when it comes to recording. File them lawsuits. Because Trump said we can sue them and win LOTS OF MONEY.
MeekMarvelousAmericanindianhorse-size_restricted.gif
Maybe I don't understand the law but don't you opt out of any possible legal moves as soon as you join the voice chat and agree to Sonys terms of service.

geordiemp

Well, after looking at that and reading the comments, I conclude it to be bollocks.

Readimg is hard for some I agree, Comprehension even more so.

All sony have done is allow the user to use the playstation as a recorder of voice chat.

You can record voice chat on your phone or any other recorder.

People can report other users and always have been able to on both systems and attach files / clips or messages.

Yada yada...

All that means is that you can't be secretly recorded. If you call someone and they say I'm going to record you and you don't hang up, you are giving consent.

Lort

Banned
Hope they dont think XBL is immune to this kind of stuff
This has nothing to do with XBL, MS specifically RESTRICTS this from happening, just like iphone does.

These and other companies go out of there way to ensure that they are not enabling their users to do this normally illegal activitiy... so the ONLY way for a user to do this is by there own add hoc solution that has no legal ramifications for the company.

Just because your best argument is but they do it to, doesnt mean you can use it when its not true lol.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
This has nothing to do with XBL, MS specifically RESTRICTS this from happening, just like iphone does.

These and other companies go out of there way to ensure that they are not enabling their users to do this normally illegal activitiy... so the ONLY way for a user to do this is by there own add hoc solution that has no legal ramifications for the company.

Just because your best argument is but they do it to, doesnt mean you can use it when its not true lol.
Not what I was referring to with, but of those thinking they are going to be able to say whatever divisive shit you want on these platforms, they got another thing coming.

cormack12

Gold Member
Be interesting to see how this is moderated. Out of context clips will be a massive headache. Example, we were playing RDR:O yesterday and one of the co-op events is trade route. 'Griefers' are going round throwing dynamite at people to knock them off the train, or lassooing them to bring them down. One guy went mental yesterday calling them all fuckers and dicksuckers and he was gonan report them. Out of context that could easily get him banned.

Gorki247

Not entirely clear on UK law, so there may be some nuances that would apply. However, I believe while it's legal for an individual to record a conversation without consent, things change when that recording is shared without the consent of the participants.

So, in theory someone could record you, but they couldn't share it with Sony unless you allow it. I don't think the TOS covers this; It only says that by participating you agree to your voice being recorded, not that you agree with the recording being shared.

MastaKiiLA

With millions of users, you can probably expect thousands of reports per year. You think Sony is allocating support staff to handle not only that, but spying as well? 99% of game conversations are civil, and contain little to no valuable information at all. That would be the dumbest use of resources known to mankind.

As someone who works both product, and manages the support for thousands of users in Asia, I can tell you that even technical issues are reported in the low single-digit percentages. I would not expect abuse reports to constitute a much different percentage than that. You are probably more likely to be attacked by a shark than reported for abuse, unless you're just an insufferable prat. Sony has no interest in searching out abusive players. Those are extra resources with literally 0 ROI. You don't get any money for booting someone from your service...none, zip, zilch. This will be initiated by irritated users who've had enough of your shit. And posts like yours suggest you fall into the high-risk category of being someone no one wants to be stuck in a party with.

I'm not bothered either way. I rarely have my mic plugged in anyway, and when i do, it's with friends. And even in the rare times it's with strangers, i don't act like a bitch and watch what i say.
This is the level-headed approach most people will take. I mostly kept my mic muted, save for nightly raids with my Destiny clan, and the occasional awesome FIFA party, where you stumble upon a group of gamers who actually enjoy coordinating strategies during a game. Unfortunately, that game is also where I encountered the most idiots. All of them sound like they're in middle-school, which is not surprising.

Waste of legal fees. The cost of the attorney would be more than your gaming library, and you're going to have to hope that the settlement covers those fees, because you're only likely to regain access to your account, with a legally-binding warning about behavior. The terms of service constituting a form of consent would probably push any attorney, not willing to exploit a rich client for personal gain, to recommend settlement. The only practical form of litigation would be class-action, which I assume the update to the terms of service attempts to avoid.

I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that as long a terms of service agreements don't encourage criminal acts, consenting to them is legally-binding. So if you acknowledge that your chat can be subjected to administrative review, then that supersedes the established law, because you have essentially consented to the recording. It's why journalists can publish interviews from willing participants, because consent was given. Much like public comments can be published, as consent is implicit through the act of speaking publicly to people who have not signed any legal document barring said publication.

AGNT4SD6

Neo Member
I'm fine with this. Just don't be an asshole to people online. I seriously hope when those people who harass people online call Customer Service to get their account unbanned or find out why they were banned the Representatives are allowed to play the clips back to them or their parents to tell them exactly why they were banned. 😁

Handy Fake

I'm fine with this. Just don't be an asshole to people online. I seriously hope when those people who harass people online call Customer Service to get their account unbanned or find out why they were banned the Representatives are allowed to play the clips back to them or their parents to tell them exactly why they were banned. 😁

This. This right here is a tremendous point.

Ok...did you read what you posted? You mean if someone violates the terms, they can loose access to all the games licensed digitally that they legally don't own?

Very first world issue here.

Don't want to "lose access" stop "renting" with buying digital games. You have no legal ownership over that content, if such a thing is sooooooo important to you, buy the majority of your games on disk.

If you don't want to be banned, crazy....actually follow those terms. I don't worry about that as I'm not calling anyone that online. Over voice or message. So I don't get this whole "wooooow I can't believe they are banning people for breaking the rules listed and actually doing it" concept.

What did you really think was going to happen though? So that doesn't sound like anyone is abusing anything, YOU NEED TO ACTUALL VIOLATE THE RULES for that that happen, in that case....what is being abused? The other user MADE you make those statements or?

lol, we will talk again in a year to see who is right, just wait until you see how many people will get baited into getting banned, or things taken out of context, or competetive players using it to fuck over their competition. "Just follow the rules" how naive can you be

NickFire

No this is not acceptable and this will be abused to no end. I guarantee people will bait others, then turn on the recording feature to get the people they baited banned. It is also creepy as hell that Sony is making it so easy for people to record and report people. People are playing games to escape the nonsense of the world, and this will reinject all the nonsense of social media further into gaming. Bringing big brother into every conversation to placate those who can't handle hitting mute or block is Exhibit A to the cure is worse than the disease argument. Enough is enough with the pandering. And the arguments about children are red herring bullshit. It is so easy, if you care about your kids, to set bright line rules. My kids know, without question, that if they are talking to strangers before a certain age their consoles either get traded in, or meet the wrong side of a hammer. And we've never had a single issue with profane language from strangers because they know that rule is inflexible.

As I sit here without any successful pre-orders having been made yet, I am honestly starting to look at the other side of the fence. And I don't even talk to strangers online myself except on rare occasion. I am just that adamantly opposed to any further invites to big brother.

WakeTheWolf

Since kids can be groomed through party chats, I think storing recordings are a good idea. But also, I know that such system in place will likely be abused by radical political zealot employees and will use it to ban hammer anyone who opposes them. Of course, on Xbox no one dares to talk in fear of getting banned so the other side isn't as greener.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
If you popped on your PS5 for a few games and manage to go through the process of:
  1. Accepting a friend request from a random person
  2. Accepting a party voice chat request from them
  3. Get baited into saying something ban-able without the stranger also self-incriminating
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 enough to move past warnings into ban territory
You deserve a ban for sheer stupidity.

Forget all of this fear of the dystopian console future and understand that Sony aren't going to hear a voice clip of you saying one word out of context and swing that banhammer.

NickFire

If you popped on your PS5 for a few games and manage to go through the process of:
  1. Accepting a friend request from a random person
  2. Accepting a party voice chat request from them
  3. Get baited into saying something ban-able without the stranger also self-incriminating
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 enough to move past warnings into ban territory
You deserve a ban for sheer stupidity.

Forget all of this fear of the dystopian console future and understand that Sony aren't going to hear a voice clip of you saying one word out of context and swing that banhammer.
1) No tech company deserves the benefit of the doubt, bar none.
2) On what planet should we believe only friends will be recording before PS6 comes out? Not here on Earth.

ruvikx

Banned
I'm fine with this. Just don't be an asshole to people online. 😁

And in what world is this "asshole" definition not entirely subjective?

In one forum or workplace or political side or whatever, one person's hate-filled "asshole" is considered a hero to a bunch of other people.

If you're telling people to blindly trust the review process & moderation team over at Sony in 2020 considering the current-year political climate in which psychopathic nutters have a very special personal definition of what "harassment" even entails ("OMG, he said there are only two genders I can't even Wow just Wow!"), yeah, thanks but no thanks.

Soodanim

Gold Member
1) No tech company deserves the benefit of the doubt, bar none.
2) On what planet should we believe only friends will be recording before PS6 comes out? Not here on Earth.
Isn't the recording feature for party chat? I wouldn't think you'd be able to just record all 8 players in a game of COD, but I'm happy to admit I'm wrong if I am.

NickFire

Isn't the recording feature for party chat? I wouldn't think you'd be able to just record all 8 players in a game of COD, but I'm happy to admit I'm wrong if I am.
I don't know for sure as of now. What I know for sure though, is that if any recording is possible, but not general chat, the "gaming journalists" will ree their heads off until all chat is recordable. And having already started their descent down the slippery slope, Sony will capitulate. And then some partisan extremists will get control of some stupid "WORDS safety council", and shit hits the fan.

We know where this leads to no matter how it starts. 100% guaranteed.

lukilladog

This. This right here is a tremendous point.

How can you even be harassed in online games?. If the same person can go and find you again and again, and perform systematic molestation on you, you should be able to block them?, and if you don´t do it you it means you want to play their game?.

Or maybe you guys are all throwing around the term "harassment" very lightly. Imagine being reported by Sony moderators who also might equivocate terms, to the feelings police in the UK or another snowflake area, and your name going into records/databases just because they felt you were a bit rude to someone, and employers could see in the future that you were accused of harassment in the past. This has already happened to people with the facebook/twitter crap, we don´t need this shit in gaming.

EDMIX

lol, we will talk again in a year to see who is right, just wait until you see how many people will get baited into getting banned, or things taken out of context, or competetive players using it to fuck over their competition. "Just follow the rules" how naive can you be

Baited? Who is making anyone do anything?

Sir.....thats like saying the mods on here being able to fucking SEE and read a post is bad as "people will get baited into getting banned". So unless you have some evidence of mind control, no one can make anyone say anything or do anything. So I would argue "naive" is ever even believing there was any form of private communication on such Networks. Imagine getting upset because you're no longer able to break rules on a network server service application website what have you that you do not own......

I never understand this weird mindset in trying to make everyone else responsible for your actions instead of behaving like a competent adult.

"using it to fuck over their competition." I know right, cause they can just MAKE you say stuff like Jedi /s

Top Bottom