• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: OK with PSVR on PC in future, but current focus is games

Blanquito

プレステVRは、単なるプレステ4向けの周辺機器にとどまらないのだ。先述の伊藤氏は「今すぐではないが」と前置きした上で、将来的にプレステVRをパソコンと接続して利用できるようにする計画を検討中であることも認めた。「プレステ4は元々、内部パーツがパソコンに近いため可能性はある。今はゲームに集中しているため、何かを発表する段階ではないが、さまざまな分野に広げられるだろう」(伊藤氏)

But PlayStation VR is not just a Playstation 4 peripheral. While Ito warned that "nothing will happen right away," he revealed that Sony was considering plans to enable the use of Playstation VR through connection with PCs in the future. "Since Playstation 4 shares a lot of its internals with PCs, the possibility is there. At the moment we are focused on games and we are not ready to make any announcements at this stage, but I'd say there will be an expansion into various fields."

Thanks to reddit user MSDefenseForce for the translation.

Source: Nikkei
through reddit.com/r/psvr

Chilikar

When they make this announcement and the psvr gets a price drop, I will jump into the VR bandwagon. Unfortunately the device is just too expensive in Canada right now

DayEnder

When they make this announcement and the psvr gets a price drop, I will jump into the VR bandwagon. Unfortunately the device is just too expensive in Canada right now

Sounds like this Canadian needs more jobs.
I'm Canadian, price is pretty high after exchange. I know the feeling.

That means the PS Camera would then have to be PC compatible too right? As well as Move controllers.

It would need an adapter. It is about the size of two usb ports. Move controllers use Bluetooth (same as PS3 and PS4 controllers) and would work with any PC (if it supports it).

They haven't even released official DS4 drivers yet like they promised. Can't imagine the wait on them getting PSVR onto PC officially.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Sony should strongly advertise that PSVR will be PC compatible at some point because that would affect a lot of folks buying decisions.

It's great news for me.

Pif

Banned
And then how do you track the move controllers on a PC?

The rift and vive would in most cases have the edge over a pc compatible psvr.

orochi91

Some sort of adapter would be required.

Doesn't sound like much of a hurdle, to be honest.

You can get the Wiimote and nunchuck to work on PC right? I'm sure there will be an easy enough solution.

docyoe

They haven't even released official DS4 drivers yet like they promised. Can't imagine the wait on them getting PSVR onto PC officially.
What drivers? the ds4 works out of the gate with a pc ....there are also alot of pc-games that support the controller natively.

The fact that PSVR is tied to a gaming console is the only thing holding it back from possibly owning the market altogether. If they open it up to PC, and possibly even other devices in the future, that would be huge.

What drivers? the ds4 works out of the gate with a pc ....there are also alot of pc-games that support the controller natively.

The drivers they promised ages ago? For increased compatibility, TouchPad support, etc. Do a search if you're still confused.

If/When this happens, clearly they'll either release a PC ver of PS Camera with USB connector, or include a Camera-to-USB plug.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
So by the time it's compatible, why would anyone care about it on PC? There'll be tons of content for Oculus and Vive already (not to mention the superior hardware), and no developer will waste their time on it at that point. This is basically that Windows Kinect thing.

nib95

Banned
So by the time it's compatible, why would anyone care about it on PC? There'll be tons of content for Oculus and Vive already (not to mention the superior hardware), and no developer will waste their time on it at that point. This is basically that Windows Kinect thing.

They'll care if the install base for PSVR is big enough. If they can make some added revenue by adding the support, especially if it's not too difficult, why wouldn't they?

FelipeMGM

Huh, London Studio new VR engine having a PC version makes even more sense now
03.jpg

sono

Gold Member
And so it begins.

I say dont do it. Stay on your core business that has kept the PS brand very keen for so long.

Orbis

This would really help to spread vr considering how cheap psvr is compared to its competitors.
It would indeed. And you'll get far better performance out of a PC too, certainly it would be less than what Oculus and Vive demand. It would be an attractive option for many.

Sony has to weigh up if profit per PSVR unit sale is worth feeding the PC market for though, somewhat at the expense of PS4's market.

Lol at people thinking Sony would take focus off of psvr and its games pushing ps4 sales only to launch it on pc. I see them expanding it to other platforms only once it maximizes profit for its own ecosystem.

poodaddy

Well if that happens Ill go ahead and jump on the VR train. I mean being able to cover two different platforms with one device is just too convenient to pass up.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
If it does happen it won't be very good. Besides I don't really get this line of reasoning when PC is getting 2 headsets anyway.

Because the PSVR is cheaper and they want more uses for it other than just through the PS4? It isn't hard to see why modders would want it to work on PC.

if they did this I'd go from on the fence to day one purchase no joke. Right now I just don't know if I'm down for a console only headset considering I spend most of my time pc gaming. But I also think the rift and vive are way above my impulse buy price point while the psvr is right in that butterzone for it.

orochi91

If it does happen it won't be very good. Besides I don't really get this line of reasoning when PC is getting 2 headsets anyway.
But why when we have the Vive and the Rift?

PSVR will work with both PS4 and your PC (assuming someone gets it up and running before Sony does, lol). It's also cheaper than the other 2 options, hence it's appeal when coupled with the ability to use it with PS4 as well.

Rift and Vive will never work on PS4, and are expensive.

Top Bottom