• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony on-track for 3 GOTYs in 3 years?

Justin9mm

God of War is amazing, great graphics, gameplay and story. I love the semi open world they created, enough stuff to add to the game, no filler.

The real gameplay shines only in the end game. The final challenges, realms and valkyries. The game is accessible enough so that everybody can finish the main quest.

To all the people that dropped it in the first hours or people that say the combat is bad, I guess they haven't finished the extras.
If GOW wasn't one of the most exciting combat gamplays in a game then I don't know what is! I think people just don't give things a chance, they make up their mind within the first hour. God forbid you actually have to play the game to earn upgrades and unlock more content. I think we have generations of impatient people where they just want everything given to them immediately.

I am definitely buying and playing Death Stranding. But I think some of you have your hopes set way too damn high.

I have zero hopes or illusions about it being a GOTY. I expect ~70 metacritic and reviews saying it was an ambitious but flawed game from a still developing studio.

jadefire66

If GOW wasn't one of the most exciting combat gamplays in a game then I don't know what is! I think people just don't give things a chance, they make up their mind within the first hour. God forbid you actually have to play the game to earn upgrades and unlock more content. I think we have generations of impatient people where they just want everything given to them immediately.

Yeah this is basically me. I stopped playing after the first hour of the game because I was super bored. I didn't really care for the combat or the story, so I saw no reason to keep playing.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Death stranding will not be goty mark my non fanboy words.

The media loves Sony for their interactive movies, and the hype alone on death stranding have made it goty for many without even being released yet.

I wouldn't bet my money on your prediction.

The graphics are nice but the gameplay is better.

I know it's just a gif but holy shit that framerate.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Nope, I think it goes the other way. Even if it’s terribly flawed it gets praised as Kojimas comeback story after being under the thumb of oppression for so long.

They will appreciate what he’s trying to do and score it well hoping he can do better next time.

Theoretically yes, but next year is gonna be stacked up with awesome games. I truly doutb they can make 3 in a row, but they have a chance. Death Stranding quite probably will sweep this year and if so that will take some chances from TLOU 2 next year.

Airbus Jr

Banned
The media loves Sony for their interactive movies, and the hype alone on death stranding have made it goty for many without even being released yet.

I wouldn't bet my money on your prediction.

I know it's just a gif but holy shit that framerate.

^ Xbox agent trying to undermine Kojima

Death Stranding is not an interactive movie

Nice try there buddy😝

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Please tell Microsoft to send some God damn money, cus I haven't received them yet.
tenor.gif

The_Mike

Also, why do you assume that everyone is some Xbox agent just because I prefer games over interactive movies?

FYI, I have all consoles (all the PS, all the Xbox, most of the Nintendo), and yet I play on my pc.

It's just a stupid insult instead of argumenting.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Also, why do you assume that everyone is some Xbox agent just because I prefer games over interactive movies?
Because people here know who you are via your previous posts? Also calling God of War "an interactive movie" is pretty telling seeing as it's utterly untrue.

Nice try, though.

The_Mike

Because people here know who you are via your previous posts? Also calling God of War "an interactive movie" is pretty telling seeing as it's utterly untrue.

Nice try, though.

So, simply because I favor Xbox Ones exclusives (which can also be played on pc), I'm a Xbox fanboy?

99% of my game time is multiplatform on my pc. Can't even remember when I played a exclusive (unless you count games like wow for exclusives).

I simply lost interest in consoles some months ago. That goes for all of them.

Geki-D

Banned
So, simply because I favor Xbox Ones exclusives (which can also be played on pc), I'm a Xbox fanboy?
No no friend. Because you constantly attack Sony games AND favor Xbox exclusives, you're a fanboy. But hey, now you know. You're out of the fanboy closet.

Airbus Jr

Banned

99% of my game time is multiplatform on my pc. Can't even remember when I played a exclusive (unless you count games like wow for exclusives).

I simply lost interest in consoles some months ago. That goes for all of them.

The ..Sony about to win 3 GOTY in a row article got you triggered huh😋

The_Mike

No no friend. Because you constantly attack Sony games AND favor Xbox exclusives, you're a fanboy. But hey, now you know. You're out of the fanboy closet.

So because I like racing games and action games, and I'm not interested in deep narrative games that doesn't focus on alot of action I'm a fanboy? That's bullshit and you know it.

By that standard, please call me action-call of duty-battlefield-forza-blizzard-WoW-r6 Siege-Nintendo-Xbox fanboy please.

Calling me only an Xbox fanboy is pathetic, since that's a small minority in my fanboy ism. Even more so when I don't use my Xbox or play their exclusive games.

But that's too much for ask for on Gaf. You either lick Sony in the ass or prey to Lord Spencer. There's no middle way, just pure extremism.

The ..Sony about to win 3 GOTY in a row article got you triggered huh😋

True. I simply lay awake at night because it's so horrible.

Grow up kid.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
So because I like racing games and action games, and I'm not interested in deep narrative games that doesn't focus on alot of action I'm a fanboy? That's bullshit and you know it.

By that standard, please call me action-call of duty-battlefield-forza-blizzard-WoW-r6 Siege-Nintendo-Xbox fanboy please.

Calling me only an Xbox fanboy is pathetic, since that's a small minority in my fanboy ism. Even more so when I don't use my Xbox or play their exclusive games.

But that's too much for ask for on Gaf. You either lick Sony in the ass or prey to Lord Spencer. There's no middle way, just pure extremism.

True. I simply lay awake at night because it's so horrible.

Grow up kid.
lol It's amazing how you have these guys who often crop in Sony game related threads to say some negative shit (Guy hasn't played an exclusive in can't even remember how long, says GoW, a game he's no doubt never played, is an "interactive movie") then they're all like "Me?! A fanboy?! Wha!!!"

Say, care to tell us the story behind your tag, there?;
...dropped on head by Jack Tretton (2013)
I bet there's a juicy story behind that that totally isn't related to you attack Sony all the time or something...

The_Mike

lol It's amazing how you have these guys who often crop in Sony game related threads to say some negative shit (Guy hasn't played an exclusive in can't even remember how long, says GoW, a game he's no doubt never played, is an "interactive movie") then they're all like "Me?! A fanboy?! Wha!!!"

Say, care to tell us the story behind your tag, there?;
...dropped on head by Jack Tretton (2013)
I bet there's a juicy story behind that that totally isn't related to you attack Sony all the time or something...

So saying I don't enjoy Sonys games is an attack, but shitting all over Xbox in any thread is "just standard behavior". Never change SonyGAF.

Also, my tag is because SonyGAF. I've also talked bad things about Microsoft as I'm not biased. But no one talks about that cus it's standard routine, which didn't get me any title.

Now I care about neither and play on pc, and yet I'm still an Xbox fanboy. I'm getting called a fucking fanboy because I don't enjoy Sonys games. Try to let that sink in for a second.

Isn't it fanboy mentality to call other people fanboys because they don't enjoy what they enjoy? I have a different taste than you guys leave me the fuck alone and make me enjoy my shit, and let you enjoy yours.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Also, my tag is because SonyGAF.
S9eei.gif

Like I said, "People know who you are". Your Sony hate is literally marked on your profile forever lol.

Whatever, buddy. Keep on fighting the SonyGAF conspiracy. Brave, totally-not-a-fanboy warrior. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So saying I don't enjoy Sonys games is an attack, but shitting all over Xbox in any thread is "just standard behavior". Never change SonyGAF.

Also, my tag is because SonyGAF. I've also talked bad things about Microsoft as I'm not biased. But no one talks about that cus it's standard routine, which didn't get me any title.

Now I care about neither and play on pc, and yet I'm still an Xbox fanboy. I'm getting called a fucking fanboy because I don't enjoy Sonys games. Try to let that sink in for a second.

Isn't it fanboy mentality to call other people fanboys because they don't enjoy what they enjoy? I have a different taste than you guys leave me the fuck alone and make me enjoy my shit, and let you enjoy yours.

Mate, you are a massive console warrior. Don't try to claim otherwise as *literally* everyone can see it. That is why you have the tag and why most people don't take you seriously.

Tw3

Tw3 win over Bloodborne is a crime

It also shows that popularity is not the be all and end all. Just like how Avatar isn't the greatest movie nor Barbra Streisand the greatest singer, not coming out on top in a aggregate of GotY awards doesn't mean Bloodborne suddenly isn't the game of the generation.

Mah7WJX.jpg

Sorry, I don't mean to say that the witcher = barbra streisand, I'm not equating them

Last edited:

ZehDon

That game is cinematic trash.

Took forever to get going and I found the kid super annoying. The combat was just lol

Why play such tripe when I could play wonderful 101, ninja gaiden black or dmc4? Actually good action games.
Huh, how about that. Possibly the worst opinion on this entire forum, pre or post purge. I'm actually a little bit impressed.

Kagey K

Banned
Dial it back and self reflect a little. This happens on all sides, and we action (and reject far more) on all sides.
S9eei.gif

Like I said, "People know who you are". Your Sony hate is literally marked on your profile forever lol.

Whatever, buddy. Keep on fighting the SonyGAF conspiracy. Brave, totally-not-a-fanboy warrior. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Fuck this you aren’t any better. You don’t get to sit in the high castle and pretend you aren’t the worst of them.

You wear your Sony flag on your sleeve as do a few others.

The only difference being that somehow that isn’t offensive here.

I’ll risk my permanent ban here, because I’m tired of it.

You and demigod demigod thelastword thelastword and Vawn Vawn are the fucking worst for coming in and shitting up Xbox conversation while crying if they do it your beloved Sony.

Every ban for console warring comes because somebody defended Xbox or shit on a Sony game.

It makes this forum worse when every Xbox topic gets derailed into Xbox has no games.

Do with me what you will mods.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Fuck this you aren’t any better. You don’t get to sit in the high castle and pretend you aren’t the worst of them.

You and demigod demigod thelastword thelastword and Vawn Vawn are the fucking worst for coming in and shitting up Xbox conversation while crying if they do it your beloved Sony.

Every ban for console warring comes because somebody defended Xbox or shit on a Sony game.

It makes this forum worse when every Xbox topic gets derailed into Xbox has no games.

Dude..calm down..

tenor.gif

Geki-D

Banned
the fucking worst for coming in and shitting up Xbox conversation
Excuse me? Can you link to these Xbox threads I post in, please? Yes I prefer Sony but the difference is that I barely ever post in Xbox related threads. Unlike you and your ilk I don't have the need to go out on the offensive and rubbish a company for another platform's honor. Please, Search User Geki-D then "Xbox" & "Microsoft". Have I said some stuff about them? Sure. But barely ever in a Xbox specific thread and nearly ever without it being in response to some other anti-Sony fanboy. On the other hand, search user Kagey K Kagey K and "Sony" and laugh at the utter hypocrisy going on right now. This fake outrage at "SonyGAF" coming from these well known console warriors is starting to become ridiculous. This disingenuous shit alone should be worth a ban.

So please, you want to throw shit around about me, then i want to see the list.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Whose list is that anyway?

From that list I played 5, finished 3 and liked only 2 games. Haha, guess I'm a terrible gamer :p

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
If we are adding speculation into this you could add Outer Worlds and Star Wars as well. I think the list would shape up as:

Resident Evil 2
Fire Emblem : Three Houses
The Outer Worlds
Death Stranding
Star Wars: Fallen Order

So far mine is Fire Emblem......and I don't like JRPG's usually and hate the whole 'teens save the world' crap and also a bunch of convoluted political family strife. But as someone who also has never played a Fire Emblem game (but played their Advance Wars games) I really am loving the game. I usually buy all new AAA games and a bunch of indies but I didn't give a crap about FE. I bought it the week after it came out and I am really loving it.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
2019 - Death Stradling
2020 - FF7 (PS4 version only)
2021 - TLOU2 Remaster PS5
2022 - Horizon Zero Dawn 2
2023 - Street Fightin 6 PS5 exclusive

So I think there's a very good chance Sony wins GOTY the next 5 years straight actually.

With Microsoft buying like 10 studios how can you even say that without having ANY idea what Nintendo and Microsoft have coming next year, let alone in 3,4 or 5 years. Give me a break.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I plan on getting Death Stranding (assuming it isn't a trainwreck) but why is everyone saying it will win GOTY? There has barely been any gameplay. I listen to a bunch of gaming podcasts and everyone is more curious than claiming it GOTY. Most are indifferent actually.

I just got around to starting God of War last week, and it has been disappointing to me. I don't like what they've done to Kratos. Like him or not, his Greek mythos incarnation was a perfect avatar for gaming. Just a rage machine. I never understand the hate for the character. It's fantasy. Why so serious?

I also don't like the interplay between Kratos and Artreus - via gameplay or dialogue. Spamming square to utilize him in combat is tedious and not fun imo. I also just find the kid annoying. "Yes SIR!"

And everything feels bloated. Bloated systems/loot/crafting. Bloated narrative. Everything feels clumsy and lacking real vision and cohesion for me.

I'm not saying it's a "bad" game. It controls well and the production values are phenomenal, but it's only impressing in the AAA sense. Strip away the flash, and it's pretty mediocre for me. Granted I probably have a lot of game left, and I'll finish it, so my opinion could change, but I don't think it will. If I feel the same when all is said and done, it will be one of my biggest disappointments in recent memory in gaming.

sendit

When did this thread become “My Experience with God of War”. This does not change the fact the game is sitting at 94 on metacritic....

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Ironic considering you do the literal thing you claim he is doing, except with Xbox.

Mr Hyde

If Sekiro doesn´t grab the GOTY award this year then it is clearly something wrong with this world. Which I see it already is since The Witcher 3 won 2015 over BB. TW3 is great and all but doesn´t hold a candle to BB. Let´s hope From Software gets a chance to shine this year because they crafted a fucking brilliant game with equally brilliant gameplay mechanics. And let us not forget the dope bosses and the beautiful world too.

Top Bottom