• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony one hand controller patent (Looks like a soon to release product IMO)

lynux3

Not sure I'm feeling it, but something like this is only as good as its application. Guess we'll find out sooner or later.

Tarkus98

They need to have two that somehow clip together (similar to the Switch) if they wish to include this as the standard controller for the PS5. Perhaps have the center piece include the track pad (or mini screen), the mic and speaker components.
Not sure how they will control the price or battery life but it would make sense in the long run to have the flexibility of both types of controllers in one.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
They need to have two that somehow clip together (similar to the Switch) if they wish to include this as the standard controller for the PS5. Perhaps have the center piece include the track pad (or mini screen), the mic and speaker components.
Not sure how they will control the price or battery life but it would make sense in the long run to have the flexibility of both types of controllers in one.
Maybe the strap being detachable like that means it can be attached in either side to make each of the controllers ambidextrous on its own and if you don't have the strap in they can attach to each other with another bit, yeah. I don't see the reason to make the strap detachable to begin with if they don't intend to attach other accessories and things there at all. But they could have other attachment ideas too, like, I see some of the PCVR FPS players using some kind of stock-type attachment to on the fly merge their two controllers so they can more steadily hold them like a 2 handed weapon, like an AIM controller style, while still being able to detach it for 2 handed uses like throwing grenades or grabbing gear. It can be clumsy but probably works better with some than others and gets better with practice too.

Just an example, but I don't think you want attachment points like those a strap would use for something like this as you need to be able to put it on and off on the fly so, they must have other thoughts, Idk.

Last edited:

onQ123

Strangely there is no mention of VR or HMD is this patent

NGHeTW.jpg

Alexios

NGHeTW.jpg
If it comes with the PS5 then it's not necessarily VR, it could be used for games like Wii Sports Resort and Red Steel 2, hopefully of course with modern 1:1 tracking capabilities. It's certainly VR ready too then.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I'd be really grateful if they could make a one handed controller compatable with all their games. Would make things easier for me being a one handed gamer.
:eek:

Shifty

Interesting. Add a couple of extra buttons on the rear for the ring and pinky fingers and two of these in tandem could make for a pretty killer general-purpose control setup.

Seems odd that they'd involve the ring and pinky via light sensing and not give them dedicated buttons- I know there's the "but complexity scares away new users" argument but that seems moot if the user is already doing stuff with those digits.

Probably because from an implementation standpoint it doesn't have any dependencies on VR, and likewise VR has no dependencies on it. It's not relevant to the basic technical outline.

It does, however, mention the presence of acceleration and gyro sensors as well as the controller outputting coloured light that is detected by the console via image sensor and used for tracking and user identification- much like the existing PSVR, PS Move and DS4 tracking.

Last edited:

onQ123

If it comes with the PS5 then it's not necessarily VR, it could be used for games like Wii Sports Resort and Red Steel 2, hopefully of course with modern 1:1 tracking capabilities. It's certainly VR ready too then.

Imagine a full platform with 1:1 hand & finger tracking along with buttons & joysticks they could use inverse kinematics to basically make you the character in most games .

We would end up with games like GTA & other big games taking advantage of these inputs.

Wonko_C

The finished controller could probably end up more like a mix of the Dualshock 4 and Oculus Touch to make it look less alienating and keep backwards compatibility. Left controller should have a thumbstick, d-pad and a small touch sensor, the right controller then would have a thumbstick, 4 face buttons and another small touch sensor. Then all those VR niceties on top like finger tracking and a knuckles-like strap.
Edit: (oh and options/share, trigger/shoulder buttons too of course.)

Last edited:

Rayderism

Do we really need a one-handed controller when Sony is censoring naughty bits out of games?

(sorry, I just couldn't pass up the joke)

onQ123

Interesting. Add a couple of extra buttons on the rear for the ring and pinky fingers and two of these in tandem could make for a pretty killer general-purpose control setup.

Seems odd that they'd involve the ring and pinky via light sensing and not give them dedicated buttons- I know there's the "but complexity scares away new users" argument but that seems moot if the user is already doing stuff with those digits.

Probably because from an implementation standpoint it doesn't have any dependencies on VR, and likewise VR has no dependencies on it. It's not relevant to the basic technical outline.

It does, however, mention the presence of acceleration and gyro sensors as well as the controller outputting coloured light that is detected by the console via image sensor and used for tracking and user identification- much like the existing PSVR, PS Move and DS4 tracking.

I know that it will be used for VR it has finger tracking & so on I was just saying that it was strange that they said nothing about VR or HMD & showed it being used with a TV .

I would totally be down with ditching the connected controllers next gen and doing independent controllers in each hand. I love playing games with the joy cons in each hand. It feels so freeing.

nowhat

See, your fear of loosing them anime titties was unfounded. Sony is even catering to you, with one-handed gaming!

Last edited:

Alexios

Surprised it took someone so long to mention that..... :messenger_grinning_smiling:
I mean, all VR controllers are the same type of thing and you use two (well, some cheap mobile VR stuff that are only good for movies and similar only have one), a VR game can choose to only utilize one just the same, so yeah we missed the joke as we all assume this is intended for paired use too. It doesn't exactly seem to have enough inputs or space for inputs to replace a full standard controller either to make this be about accessibility like Microsoft's adaptive controller so it really seems to just be their VR controller, shown as one rather than a pair which would be the same thing mirrored/doubled.

Last edited:

onQ123

I mean, all VR controllers are the same type of thing and you use two (well, some cheap mobile VR stuff that are only good for movies and similar only have one), a VR game can choose to only utilize one just the same, so yeah we missed the joke as we all assume this is intended for paired use too. It doesn't exactly seem to have enough inputs or space for inputs to replace a full standard controller either to make this be about accessibility like Microsoft's adaptive controller so it really seems to just be their VR controller, shown as one rather than a pair which would be the same thing mirrored/doubled.

Something to think about is the fact that this patent show you how to place the strap on the left or right side & even the PlayStation move with a lack of directional buttons /joystick was sold as a single & usable by it's self so these controllers with added features like a joystick , finger tracking , pressure sensor , mic , speaker & so on should easily be usable as one controller.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Better controllers allow better gameplay systems. Yes you can get excited if you want but the cost might be prohibitive unless you already have a good PC and consider it an investment similar to buying a great racing wheel or HOTAS (but clearly with a much larger range of experiences it can improve rather than mostly one genre like each of these devices do). Impeccable independent hand tracking compared to DualShock/Move/Aim style controllers means it's both far more intuitive to work with and allows greater detail to the systems with less abstraction, just have shit work how you expect them to naturally.

Examples of gameplay systems, keep in mind most are low budget stuff, imagine when the AAA developers get into the game if the next gen consoles really get in on the deal making it more widespread.

I think even without playing them yourself, if you compare some of these with videos of people playing some of PSVR's best like Firewall you can see how much more involving and true to life interactions can be in these and can notice there's a far larger layer of abstraction and compensating for the tracking deficiencies with PSVR (like how static people are with having to face the front camera at all times which means for example you can't really turn around and shoot people at the back so you make do with some quick/turn option on the controllers) or how the aim controller held doesn't actually fully reflect the in game gun in 1:1 tracking (so you don't look down the iron sights as intuitively as in real life, not to mention it makes your 2nd hand unusable beyond digital inputs so you can't do things like pick up a grenade from your chest to remove its pin and throw it, or throw one back to enemies). I'd compare it to how you had to conform to and compensate for the tracking deficiencies in Wii Sports Resort or Red Steel 2 and what they expected rather than what was natural, perhaps to a lesser extent but equally important if not more so given they try to mimic things more closely while Resort was still simple good fun in the end.

That first video definitely looked more...refined than what I've seen from PSVR. I didn't have sound on as I am at work so I'll watch it again later, but was that the HTC Vive? It looked pretty good. I also saw this crowdfunded headset that works with Vive but I think it simply enhances the resolution of the display to something like and ultrawide 4k in the headset. Yea I think it's just about the games for me. I think I have to consider that VR experiences may be altogether new IP and maybe not from a lot of my favorite franchises. I think a huge part of it is when I imagine an ideal VR game...I can only think of something along the lines of Sword Art Online or Ready Player One. I mean clearly that's not realistic at this point in time. SO I think that's why I'd like to just be able to jump in at a price that isn't so expensive that I could deeply regret the purchase.

Alexios

That first video definitely looked more...refined than what I've seen from PSVR. I didn't have sound on as I am at work so I'll watch it again later, but was that the HTC Vive? It looked pretty good. I also saw this crowdfunded headset that works with Vive but I think it simply enhances the resolution of the display to something like and ultrawide 4k in the headset. Yea I think it's just about the games for me. I think I have to consider that VR experiences may be altogether new IP and maybe not from a lot of my favorite franchises. I think a huge part of it is when I imagine an ideal VR game...I can only think of something along the lines of Sword Art Online or Ready Player One. I mean clearly that's not realistic at this point in time. SO I think that's why I'd like to just be able to jump in at a price that isn't so expensive that I could deeply regret the purchase.
The first video is with the Oculus Rift, then there are 3 with the Vive, then one with the Rift, the last doesn't show the controllers but by then you can imagine how it works. They're fairly interchangeable these days, especially if you get an extra sensor for the Rift and set it up properly for room-scale (not just standing or sitting experiences but moving around). Vive has ways to play Oculus exclusives and Oculus has ways to play Vive exclusives but most games nowadays support both devices natively unless they're Oculus funded exclusives only on their store and I feel that as we move forward things will open up further (iirc HTC said their new Vive store for Cosmos and onward will support Open/Steam VR apis and work with any applicable devices) given all the companies making different HMDs and controllers, people will want to mix and match eventually or to upgrade to other devices without losing access to their library or anything of the sort. I hope you'll like the rest of the videos and look up more of what's possible :)!

Last edited:
Top Bottom