• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Online Entertainment has possibly confirmed a Sony VR headset

S¡mon

Banned
John Smedley, the president of Sony Online Entertainment held an "Ask Me Almost Anything" on Reddit.

A few days ago, EverQuest (a game by Sony Online Entertainment) was shown in combination with the Oculus Rift. In the AMAA, someone asked whether or not Sony Online Entertainment was exploring other VR solutions.

The answer? He said he was hearing good things about two competitors... one is from Sony.

Question
Hearkening back to the EQN Black Box video and the bit with Terry wearing the Oculus Rift...are you thinking about experiment with any other VR solutions in EQN such as the Virtuix Omni, STEM System etc.?
This is the video.

Answer
hearing good things about 2 competitors.. one of which actually comes from Sony. so I'm thinking this is real and we may have our Snowcrash after all.
Snowcrash is a book by Neal Stephenson from 1992. It's about a vision of a Virtual Reality-based internet.

So, he says he's hearing good things about two competitors. He says that one of the competitors is actually from Sony, while the other one is - most likely - Oculus Rift (as they are experimenting with that).

onQ123

Confirmed & "hearing good things about 2 competitors.. one of which actually comes from Sony. so I'm thinking this is real and we may have our Snowcrash after all."

don't really go together.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I was expecting it to be some conclusion jumping article but that's pretty clear.

This thing is such a poorly kept secret. I just hope that they really deliver a proper VR experience at a decent price point. No point in even trying if they're going to half ass it.

Averon

When is this VR thing getting announce? I would think E3, but I don't know of Sony want to risk blunting the PS4's momentum by announce the VR headset.

PBY

Banned
Not into VR, but I don't begrudge sony from catering to those who will like it. Just hope their whole strategy isn't focused on VR

Corpsepyre

Banned
If this is true, then Sony should announce the device formally quick, and show us some games that are making use of the technology. About time.

onQ123

That doesn't make sense.

The other one is most likely Valve

392.jpg

feasiblehmd_2015_630pxbodyimg.jpg

I can't bring myself to get excited for VR as a father who barely scraps enough time to game in the first place. Completely shutting myself off from the world doesn't seem like a reasonable expectation.

Personally, I hope it stays as gimmicky and niche as motion controls.

I was expecting it to be some conclusion jumping article but that's pretty clear.

This thing is such a poorly kept secret. I just hope that they really deliver a proper VR experience at a decent price point. No point in even trying if they're going to half ass it.
It's only a badly kept secret because we have insiders here. I wonder how much we'd know without them.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Of course they have one in the making. They showed off a headset a few years ago.

hmz-t2.jpg
Yeah I'm not exactly sure what part of the comment in OP discludes him just talking about the HMZ series.

This is reaching. People are really desperate for a separate gaming-version to be a thing but it has never been substantiated very well.

I can't bring myself to get excited for VR as a father who barely scraps enough time to game in the first place. Completely shutting myself off from the world doesn't seem like a reasonable expectation.

Personally, I hope it stays as gimmicky and niche as motion controls.

No, no, and no lol. Im in the same boat being a dad n at uni. But dont you shut yourself off when gaming anyway, just imagine how much better them rare hours you get to yoursellf to game could be, with a vr headset thats done right.

Pretty much a clear statement that one, especially since he refers to Snowcrash.

Hopefully Thuway talks about it some more on Twitter today, really keen to see when Sony is going to unveil this.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Assuming it is coming soon, I think it'll be a decent headset, but not up to the level of the oculus rift. I'd guess OLED with move/DS4 style LED on the front for positional tracking assistance using playstation camera, like the crystal cove proto. But I don't think they'll have any of the low persistence stuff in there - just aiming at a normal 60fps OLED with perhaps standard DS4 gyro internals

wildfire

Banned
Considering how the question was asked it would be obtuse for Smedley's comments about 2 competitors to include Occulus makers. It could be the case but if he was answering the question properly then there is a 3rd company out there working on VR tech that we don't know about.

Yeah, about that...

GDC is a possibility as Sony has recently said that they have big plans for it.
/nod My money's been on GDC ever since we heard it wouldn't be at TGS after all.

We heard it first outside of GAF. I don't think the insiders here have said much about it, have they?
When the Xi developer
whose name escapes me
said Sony did not have a VR headset, DemonNite said something to the effect of, "If we did, we wouldn't show it to all developers, just the best ones. ;)"

Assuming it is coming soon, I think it'll be a decent headset, but not up to the level of the oculus rift. I'd guess OLED with move/DS4 style LED on the front for positional tracking assistance using playstation camera, like the crystal cove proto. But I don't think they'll have any of the low persistence stuff in there - just aiming at a normal 60fps OLED with perhaps standard DS4 gyro internals
Why do you think that?

nampad

I wonder from whom the 3rd solution is coming. Guess Microsoft won't be missing the VR train but would Smedley know about their project?

DryvBy

Excellent news. Now just make a killer game for it and this will be the end of the console wars.

iceatcs

Really curious, why do you think sony won't be up to the level.

I bet Sony could, because they can design further than oculus rift who seem only can take technical from the shelves. ie Sony can made a custom screen likewise non-flat, curve technical suitable screen.

BibiMaghoo

Hmm, the problem I have potentially with such devices, is they are so anti-social. You are literally shutting yourself out from the world by sight and sound. While this is kind of the point, I can't help but feel it is a huge inhibitor to the potential such a device has, as many people will be put of like this. It's like the stigma of 3D glasses but ten fold.

I guess there is no way to know until they are more mass market, but I think they will be a very niche device from all manufacturers. People have been making the glasses TV's for over 10 years, and still most do not use them, or even know they exist.

Of course they have one in the making. They showed off a headset a few years ago.

hmz-t2.jpg
The HMZ has been around for a while now. It's not a gaming peripheral, it retails for over $500
Yeah I'm not exactly sure what part of the comment in OP discludes him just talking about the HMZ series.

This is reaching. People are really desperate for a separate gaming-version to be a thing but it has never been substantiated very well.
Because the HMZ isn't VR in any sense? Those are premium HDTV replacement devices, the last one debuted at $800.

KoopaTheCasual

Because the HMZ line is explicitly for movies. It is in no stretch of the imagination a VR solution. The guy was asked about VR, and he mentioned that Sony's solution was sounding good.

And no. Someone as technically savvy as him would not confuse the HMZ experience with VR. He was very explicit.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
My read of it is that Smedley has no insider information on this and is just going off the same kind of rumors we are.

The question is: Xmas 2014 or Xmas 2015?

I would not be surprised if PS4 VR doesn't show up this year at all. Sony is in a very comfortable position sales-wise and may decide to give engineers more time to polish sensor readings, more time for hardware components price to go down and more time for developers to craft a killer app (or several) for it.

GeoGonzo

I have no idea of how a PS4 could power any VR enviroment, even if we went down to PS2/3 graphics... but I want to believe.

Top Bottom