• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Patent Suggests PSP & PS Vita Compatibility With PS5 (TeezyD & Vita Lovers, GET ITT!!!)

The Sony patent, filed February 6, 2020 and published August 20, includes an image that appears to show various accessories and peripherals that may be compatible with the PlayStation 5 console. This includes the PlayStation VR headset, PlayStation Camera, PlayStation Move, a DualShock 4 controller, mouse and keyboard, remote, bluetooth headset, and the PlayStation Portable. The text of the patent also mentions the PlayStation Vita, so it seems the handheld may have a role to play with the PS5 as well.

playstation-5-accessories-patent.jpg

DESTROYA

I can't believe I spent over $150 on a refurbished SONY VITA only to have it shipped so poorly with no consideration of the item whatsoever.

For context, SONY prides themselves over their refurbished products and I was excited to finally enter the world of the VITA. I bought the refurbished new SONY VITA and waited patiently for the package to arrive.

The first sign of sheer incompetence from SONY was the fact that my package was held by DHL because SONY of America didn't properly write my address (incorrect address). They didn't even fu**ing bother putting the effort of dignifying my residence and didn't even email me about it until I found out myself.

The second and WORST sign was when the package arrived. NO BUBBLE WRAP, NO ENCLOSING EMPTY SPACES IN THE PACKAGE, NO SENSE OF SHAME WHATSOEVER BY SONY OF AMERICA. The fu**ing VITA system itself inside the package was sliding as I tilted the package sideways hitting from one side to the next. My horrifying realization was that this "proudly refurbished" VITA was getting banged harder than TaySan 's hypothetical boyfriend in the middle of a summer afternoon.

I'm furious and I'm fast enough to realize I'm gonna send this shit back to SONY and get my FUCKING MONEY BACK! My fellow GAF Americans, I URGE you all to not support SONY of America's refurbished products because they don't respect their own product's safety and dignity.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
The Sony patent, filed February 6, 2020 and published August 20, includes an image that appears to show various accessories and peripherals that may be compatible with the PlayStation 5 console. This includes the PlayStation VR headset, PlayStation Camera, PlayStation Move, a DualShock 4 controller, mouse and keyboard, remote, bluetooth headset, and the PlayStation Portable. The text of the patent also mentions the PlayStation Vita, so it seems the handheld may have a role to play with the PS5 as well.

playstation-5-accessories-patent.jpg

When will people understand that patents don't suggest anything, and especially, don't suggest anything related specifically to PS5?

trikster40

I can't believe I spent over $150 on a refurbished SONY VITA only to have it shipped so poorly with no consideration of the item whatsoever.

For context, SONY prides themselves over their refurbished products and I was excited to finally enter the world of the VITA. I bought the refurbished new SONY VITA and waited patiently for the package to arrive.

The first sign of sheer incompetence from SONY was the fact that my package was held by DHL because SONY of America didn't properly write my address (incorrect address). They didn't even fu**ing bother putting the effort of dignifying my residence and didn't even email me about it until I found out myself.

The second and WORST sign was when the package arrived. NO BUBBLE WRAP, NO ENCLOSING EMPTY SPACES IN THE PACKAGE, NO SENSE OF SHAME WHATSOEVER BY SONY OF AMERICA. The fu**ing VITA system itself inside the package was sliding as I tilted the package sideways hitting from one side to the next. My horrifying realization was that this "proudly refurbished" VITA was getting banged harder than TaySan 's hypothetical boyfriend in the middle of a summer afternoon.

I'm furious and I'm fast enough to realize I'm gonna send this shit back to SONY and get my FUCKING MONEY BACK! My fellow GAF Americans, I URGE you all to not support SONY of America's refurbished products because they don't respect their own product's safety and dignity.

You sure you bought it direct from Sony, cuz I don’t think they sell refurbished Vitas anymore. You try calling their customer service?

SilentUser

If only that meant something... would be cool to play PSP and PS Vita titles on a PS5, too bad it won't happen. Would love to bite my tongue this time, thoug.

trikster40

What I NEED is an external drive that attaches via USB that lets me insert my PSP games and play them through my PS4/PS5.

Sony, you give me that, and I will buy Genji 2: The Crustacean Conquest

AmuroChan

This could also be for PS Now right? That seems more plausible to me than for the PS5 to be running Vita and PSP games natively.

reinking

Gold Member
I don't see why they would bother with compatibility with old systems.
I am sure they have data to show how much PS4 is being streamed to Vita (and PSP). If enough people use it they do not really gain anything by taking it away and the resources to have it are probably minimal. I was actually hoping they were going to continue to support it. Vita is fantastic for remote play. It is a consumer friendly move.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I am sure they have data to show how much PS4 is being streamed to Vita (and PSP). If enough people use it they do not really gain anything by taking it away and the resources to have it are probably minimal. I was actually hoping they were going to continue to support it. Vita is fantastic for remote play. It is a consumer friendly move.
The lack of R2/L2 kills it for any shooter though.

xXXarBG.gif

ANIMAL1975

I don't see why they would bother with compatibility with old systems.
It's a playstation tradition. They have done it since the beginning (ps2 bc with One), it was only interrupted this generation because of ps3 complex architecture. PS5 is back on track and bc with ps4 and ps4 VR, so if they are still holding some cards for later wouldn't surprise me a bit. Like I said before, it's a ps tradition.

manzo

This seems to be just a compatibility feature for legacy PS4 support, as it supported both Vita and PSP.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The PSP library is largely untapped. I'm surprised we aren't seeing more PSP -> Switch ports tbh

This would be great if true.

Top Bottom