• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Patents Emotion Detecting Software For Games

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems Sony has patented emotion detecting software for videogames. It'll be interesting to see what they use this for.

Apparently there are also some non game uses planned. One seems like it could be market research by telling whether or not you find the comedy you're watching funny, though it still seems to be done through the PS3.

Siliconera said:
Laughter… as a “controller”? It sounds funny on paper, but Sony Computer Entertainment America seems serious about the concept considering they filed a patent for a laugh detecting program.

The application picks up on metadata, which includes laughter recorded by the microphone and a user’s expression from the camera. Both devices are linked to a “game console”, shown as a PlayStation 3 in the diagram, which identifies the user, notes emotions, and transfers the data over a network.

How will Sony identify emotions? The patent mentions identifying body gestures and tracking group interactions “such as when two individuals give each other a ‘High Five.’” Sony also developed smile detecting software for their Cyber Shot W120 camera which could be used too.

While the patent focuses on laughter it can identify other emotions such as sadness, excitement, anger, joy, interest, and boredom. For example, boredom may be detected if a user is “looking away from the presentation, yawning, or talking over the presentation.”

Here’s an example set of data and a flow chart depicting how the system works.

The software isn’t limited to video games. It can also be used for TV shows, films, and other media presentations, but we’ll drop those for now.

What do you think of a game that can read your emotions? Perhaps, an RPG that changes its story or the way the characters interact based on how you react.
Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2009/08/1...-laugh-detecting-emotional-tracking-software/

16j4gup.jpg

2132hl.jpg

noah111

Still Alive
Oh god at the first pic.. saw this the other day but didn't want to post it, save Sony the embarrassment. :lol

BlackBond

Fanboys won't be able to handle this kind of thing. They are all as over emotional as teenage girls. If a machine was made to detect emotions the majority of gamers being secluded bias, blinded, by plastic and metal fanboys would bring gaming to an all new low.

LQX

So does this mean even if Natal can see your facial gestures and other emotions like clapping then games wont be able to take it under consideration on the 360? I would think features like what Sony patented are part of Natal.

Nirolak said:
Apparently there are also some non game uses planned. One seems like it could be market research by telling whether or not you find the comedy you're watching funny, though it still seems to be done through the PS3.

Does this mean no more Adam Sandler/Rob Schneider movies from Sony Pictures?

LQX said:
So does this mean even if Natal can see your facial gestures and other emotions like clapping then games wont be able to take it under consideration on the 360? I would think features like what Sony patented are part of Natal.

Sony have also patented using real world items as an item in a camera based game. I.e. Scanning the item with the camera, and using it as a point of reference in the game. Microsoft had this in their E3 vignette (scanning a skateboard) but it looks like Sony have the patent.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm awful, but here's my first attempt (I started making it before I saw other people comparing him to the Joker). :lol

rcv8eb.jpg

I wonder if® we're going to see Playstation® Eye® software that® takes advantage of this® soon? Man,® can't wait to see it on my Sony® Bravia® with my Playstation® 3® hooked up to my Sony® receiver. I'll have to take a picture of it with my new Sony® Cybershot® or® with my Sony® Handicam®. I can't decide. I might just go with my Sony® Vaio®'s built-in® cam, though.® Then® I® can® edit® all® together® using® Sony® Vegas® Pro® software® .

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Galvanise_ said:
Sony have also patented using real world items as an item in a camera based game. I.e. Scanning the item with the camera, and using it as a point of reference in the game. Microsoft had this in their E3 vignette (scanning a skateboard) but it looks like Sony have the patent.
Aww fuck really? So now Microsoft won't be able to use it? That's bullshit. I think you can patent an implementation, but not an idea, so as long as Microsoft uses a different software technique it will be fine. Same with this emotion recognition which they also had in the Natal vignette.

[Nintex]

I like the name of the program: "Crazy inventors". I bet that Tim Schaffer didn't have this in mind when he told devs to run with their 'dumb' ideas.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
godhandiscen said:
Aww fuck really? So now Microsoft won't be able to use it? That's bullshit. I think you can patent an implementation, but not an idea, so as long as Microsoft uses a different software technique it will be fine. Same with this emotion recognition which they also had in the Natal vignette.
It depends on how they do it actually. You can make something do the same thing with a different method and not violate a patent.

AndyD

aka andydumi
godhandiscen said:

if your implmentation is basic enough it is virtually the idea.

same with ms having the patent for custom soundtracks at "operating system level" and the only way around for sony is to have it built into each game, rather than universally.

Eh, no one is going to be able to patent something so general. If it's an issue, you're going to see lots of lawyers get it on for some sort of settlement at worst. (Damn, that would be ultra-ridiculous.)

SSJ1Goku

Banned
+1 for E-motion :D

Homer: What the hell is so funny
Bart: Maybe it's the TV
Homer: *bangs on TV* Stupid TV! Be more funny
:lol

Top Bottom