• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony patents gaming controller with a touchscreen display

Shin

Banned
Sony Interactive Entertainment America, which is the PlayStation brand of the company, has filed a patent for a gaming controller that has a touchscreen at the United States Patent Office.

A controller for interfacing wirelessly with a computing device is provided, including the following: a housing defined by a main body, a first extension extending from a first end of the main body, and a second extension extending from a second end of the main body, the first extension and the second extension for holding by a first hand and a second hand of a user, respectively; a touchscreen defined along the top surface of the main body between the first extension and the second extension; a first set of buttons disposed on the top surface of the main body proximate to the first extension and on a first side of the touchscreen; and a second set of buttons disposed on the top surface of the main body proximate to the second extension and on a second side of the touchscreen.
2c68870e8e659e6bc238257a7ba704d1.png

Source: USPTO
Credit: MP1st & Reddit

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
I appreciate Sony and the innovations they try, but we know its going nowhere. Six Axis, Touch pad, light strip, ya useless features.

Sony the Dual Shock is king. Keep the controller simple.

Mr Hyde

No more worthless additions to the Dual Shock. Just put out an ordinary controller with good battery life instead of bogging it down with these crazy extras attached to it.

For real though I'm wondering how they are going to top the DS4 as its by far the best pack in controller I've ever used. Everything about it is just perfect and yes that includes the battery life too as whilst its not DS3/Xbox 360 level it isn't as bad as people make it out to be as I get 6/8 hours with ease and being able to charge them up whilst the console is in standby is nice.

Was going to do that extended battery life mod thats online for the DS4 but it apparently nerfs the battery level reading on screen so avoided it as it reminded me too much of a broken down jalopy I used to drive whose fuel gauge had a mind of its own.

FranXico

For real though I'm wondering how they are going to top the DS4 as its by far the best pack in controller I've ever used. Everything about it is just perfect and yes that includes the battery life too as whilst its not DS3/Xbox 360 level it isn't as bad as people make it out to be as I get 6/8 hours with ease and being able to charge them up whilst the console is in standby is nice.

Was going to do that extended battery life mod thats online for the DS4 but it apparently nerfs the battery level reading on screen so avoided it as it reminded me too much of a broken down jalopy I used to drive whose fuel gauge had a mind of its own.
The second version of the DS4 has better battery life, so it indeed got a bit better.

The second version of the DS4 has better battery life, so it indeed got a bit better.

Thats the one I'm talking about. I've never actually measured the exact running time I get out of mine but I do remember spending around half a day playing Yakuza 0 non stop once and it was the only time it ran flat. For my regular level of use I've never had a complaint but then I also used a Wii U touchpad for a while and thought that was passable with its standard battery and quite decent with an extended one so maybe I'm easily pleased in that respect or maybe I still remember the Game Gear days too vividly.

Xbox 360 takes first place here though as the batterys last eons and its wonderful just using regular ones that you can switch on the fly. Wonder if that approach will ever make a come back? I'd expect the next gen controllers to be wireless charging at the least.

Fbh

DualShock 5. Now with up to 35 minutes of battery life!!!!

Dont you guys own charging cables?!???

Toe-Knee

I appreciate Sony and the innovations they try, but we know its going nowhere. Six Axis, Touch pad, light strip, ya useless features.

Sony the Dual Shock is king. Keep the controller simple.

Apart from the fact they're all used extensively in vr games.

Id argue the latter two are actually there purely for VR from a design standpoint

Shin

Banned
Is that image related to the patent? What on earth are the diagrams on it showing?
Yeah it is, if you follow the USPTO source link I provided you'll see "Images" as a button/tab.
It's from there, but here's a direct link along with more information: click me

Dabaus

Banned
I remember one of the “leaks” said that the controller would slide apart and the screen would be sold separate. I swear I read that somewhere. Maybe I’m remembering wrong?

Nobody wants this. The most annoying thing about the Wii U was taking your attention away from the main screen.

Is this just their elite controller or a ps5 revision to the controller? It will be so expensive.

Sony going all out for features nobody wants...they need to just concentrate on a gaming machine instead of trying to put vr and all this other shit into the ps5

cryptoadam

Banned
Apart from the fact they're all used extensively in vr games.

Id argue the latter two are actually there purely for VR from a design standpoint

All of those were around before the VR though. Six Axis was PS3. Touch pad and Light strip were not sold on VR at all. Light strip was sold in regards to the PS camera, which at the begining of this Gen was being touted as the kinect killer LOL. How many PS4 players ever use the camera?

And VR itself is just as much an after thought for Sony.

I give Sony props for trying to come up with new ideas, but they are usually half baked and dropped during the gen. Remember the batarang PS3 controller LOL. I can imagine Sony will show some sort of screen on their controller, hype it up, and then it will be used in 2 games and end up being a big battery drain for most of the gen. Just like the light strip that is so great for VR, meanwhile PS4 owners were using black tape and begging for a way to turn of the F'n battery draining light. Touchpad I don't think has had one great use of it yet but there it is in the middle of my controller for no reason at all. I guess it allows me to type on the keyboard a few seconds faster.

kunonabi

If I still had an interest in Sony platforms I'd be down for a touchscreen controller. It was fantastic on the Wii U.

Toe-Knee

All of those were around before the VR though. Six Axis was PS3. Touch pad and Light strip were not sold on VR at all. Light strip was sold in regards to the PS camera, which at the begining of this Gen was being touted as the kinect killer LOL. How many PS4 players ever use the camera?

And VR itself is just as much an after thought for Sony.

I give Sony props for trying to come up with new ideas, but they are usually half baked and dropped during the gen. Remember the batarang PS3 controller LOL. I can imagine Sony will show some sort of screen on their controller, hype it up, and then it will be used in 2 games and end up being a big battery drain for most of the gen. Just like the light strip that is so great for VR, meanwhile PS4 owners were using black tape and begging for a way to turn of the F'n battery draining light. Touchpad I don't think has had one great use of it yet but there it is in the middle of my controller for no reason at all. I guess it allows me to type on the keyboard a few seconds faster.
Just after psvr was announced they stated that was always the intention of the lightbar.

And to be fair I use the camera nearly daily.

My wife uses it for just dance and my son uses it for things such as rabbids and the playroom.

Myself it's just for VR. And there were shortages of it for almost a year due to streamers.

From experimentation though the only bit that is a big drain on the battery is the touchpad.

I disconnected it while doing some mods to a controller and forgot to reconnect it and you get an extra ten hours of so battery life.

I rewired a friend's to function just as a button due to his complaints about battery life.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I think a small screen on the controller would be cool as long as it doesn’t make the controller much bigger. Could check out the map, do some light inventory and loadout management without getting out of the game. It would certainly be much more useful than the awful touchpad they have now.

cryptoadam

Banned
Just after psvr was announced they stated that was always the intention of the lightbar.

And to be fair I use the camera nearly daily.

My wife uses it for just dance and my son uses it for things such as rabbids and the playroom.

Myself it's just for VR. And there were shortages of it for almost a year due to streamers.

From experimentation though the only bit that is a big drain on the battery is the touchpad.

I disconnected it while doing some mods to a controller and forgot to reconnect it and you get an extra ten hours of so battery life.

I rewired a friend's to function just as a button due to his complaints about battery life.

Like I said I give Sony props for trying these innovation, but a lot of your situations are kinda unique. The vast majority of the 86 Million PS4 players don't have VR or play much of just dance and most of them would trade in all that to not have a battery draining lightbar/touchpad.

Sony is like Google. They think of a lot of ideas, but don't then let them just fade away. I still have a Google Nexus player TV box that google dropped a year later. Or the Google Cube and etc...

They may include some sort of screen and talk about how great it will be for gaming, and then 3 years into the gen no one will use the screen for anything and we will all be enjoying are classic Dual Shocks that have stood the test of time.

Top Bottom