• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

FelipeMGM

You don't let a studio like MM go. Flops or not.

The only real flop they've had is Tearaway, and it was still critically acclaimed. So they did their job, Sony didn't do theirs.

I wonder if Sony even considers Tearaway a real flop.

That game was made by ~15 people for 2-2.5 years. Its not like it needed to sell a lot to be worth it or anything

I don't disagree with you. MM is a special studio, but it's still owned by by a publicly traded corporation. So if the game bombs because Sony fucked up marketing the game and their shareholders demand someone to take the blame, it's not going to be the Sony execs that take the fall but the studio. Also, I didn't suggest MM is in danger after Tearaway. I said MM could be in danger if Dreams bomb, which would make it two flops commercially in a row. Again, my original comment was regarding which 1st party studio is in most danger to be shut down next. So if you disagree about MM, that's perfectly fine, but do share what studio you think is in more danger and we can have a conversation about it.

I can't disagree with that. You're right. I just think it is unlikely.

As far as other studios go, I think guerilla might expand and swallow up another studio, maybe.

Turkoop

Banned
Why are people believing that SP's game will be out next year? Guys, come on.
First, its a new IP. So it's gonna take a while to develop. And then SP has ~ 100 devs or so, so I dont think they will rush the game or development. Plus we have plenty of already announced titles which will (eventually) launch in 2018 (Spiderman, God of War, Indies, Detroit, Days Gone, Dreams etc.)

Icolin

Banned
First, its a new IP. So it's gonna take a while to develop. And then SP has ~ 100 devs or so, so I dont think they will rush the game or development. Plus we have plenty of already announced titles which will (eventually) launch in 2018 (Spiderman, God of War, Indies, Detroit, Days Gone, Dreams etc.)
Finally, someone in here uses some common sense.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Sony needs to do a followup to Extermination, that PS2 action/survival horror game from way back when. Game was actually good, they could rebadge it and make whatever they craft a spiritual successor to the PS2 game.

All this plus the fact that they aren't gonna want to stick a brand new IP in the crowded fall equals why it seems clear to me it will be a spring 2019 game. Unless it's ready by spring 2018, which I doubt

It will have been 4 years since they released Infamous Second Son and this is assuming they weren't doing any work prior to the release of Second Son.

If the year is stacked, the year is stacked. SP is 2018.

Icolin

Banned
All this plus the fact that they aren't gonna want to stick a brand new IP in the crowded fall equals why it seems clear to me it will be a spring 2019 game. Unless it's ready by spring 2018, which I doubt
vB9B5.gif

Icolin

Banned
It will have been 4 years since they released Infamous Second Son and this is assuming they weren't doing any work prior to the release of Second Son.

You forgot to mention they had First Light as well.

It'd be great if SP's game comes it in 2018, but it's not necessary and not likely, IMO.

The only new IP I can see Sony releasing in the fall right now is Death Stranding, because the hype for a new IP from Kojima and his first post-Konami game is gonna be insane. And Spider-Man, but that's not really a new IP

Detroit can't be 2018 right?

For how great Horizon Gravity Rush and Nioh is, that can't be it right? that wouldn't be bad if those games came out during the whole year and yet they are released in the span of 2 months, GT Sport won't certainly be this year, Uncharted lost legacy and Farpoint isn't enough.

It feels as if every Sony exclusive is years away. It wouldn't be a problem if they didn't announce games so far from release and yet here's lots of games that won't be coming out for the foreseeable future but isn't it nice having so many of them.

I mean at E3 last year the exclusives that were shown off didn't have any preliminary dates, just "in development" if it's all so far away why show it off?

You know why many people think that Microsoft has more of exclusives every year? because they release them at the end of it and people remember those more than at the start of it. Just like the Oscar nominations.

For how great Horizon Gravity Rush and Nioh is, that can't be it right? that wouldn't be bad if those games came out during the whole year and yet they are released in the span of 2 months, GT Sport won't certainly be this year, Uncharted lost legacy and Farpoint isn't enough.

It feels as if every Sony exclusive is years away. It wouldn't be a problem if they didn't announce games so far from release and yet here's lots of games that won't be coming out for the foreseeable future but isn't it nice having so many of them.

I mean at E3 last year the exclusives that were shown off didn't have any preliminary dates, just "in development" if it's all so far away why show it off?

You know why many people think that Microsoft has more of exclusives every year? because they release them at the end of it and people remember those more than at the start of it. Just like the Oscar nominations.
GT Sport, Uncharted Lost Legacy and Knack 2 will be this fall. Or at least those are three I feel most confident about.

It isn't a problem because they still have a bunch of games releasing during the wait.

The bold is nonsense.

Dabi

They've had trouble with staying true to release dates which is why they throw in the "in development" at the end of the trailers. Before throwing a date out there they want to be sure they can hit it.

As for the release schedule... who cares if it releases at the top of the year? I'd rather a Horizon or Gravity Rush release now compared to the end of the year where it'll get destroyed by the Red Deads and Destiny's of the world.

FelipeMGM

Im not sure many people think that

In fact, the discussion pairing over MS Studios at the moment is exactly about how thin their publishing efforts have been

Turkoop

Banned

Okay, four years are enough to develop a new IP. But I dont think they will rush it into 2018 because - as I already mentioned - there are plenty of announced titles which may release in 2018. Even Bloodborne 2 is more realistic for a 2018 release than SP's Game TBH.
Why should they release SP's game before all the other already announced titles? Makes no sense to me. Except Death Stranding & TLOU2, which will launch 2018-end or 2019.

Sony does have exclusives at the end of the year though (last year I played TLG, DQ Builders and WoFF), console warriors just deluded themselves into ignoring anything that conflicted with that narrative. Up until recently anyway, when the sheer number of PS4 exclusives became impossible to deny. There's still a few deluding themselves into thinking Microsoft's going to announce a ton of games at E3 but they're going to get a wake up call soon enough.

Ignoring the console wars talk though, how successful has releasing most of their games at the end of the year been for Microsoft? From what I've seen, their first party sales hasn't been pretty.

And nah, I'm fine with them announcing games early. Movies are announced years before they even start production, the insistence games HAVE to be announced close to release seems childish to me.

So regarding MM, we know studios get paid when they have their games on plus, right? Can we see this 2 past months as a way SONY has of helping MM? Or as something else?

Edit: Also wanted to say Days Gone will be the next Horizon...just watch ;)

Mm didn't develop LBP3 and third parties are paid when their games go up on PS+. Sony can do whatever they want with their games, they own them, which is why they prefer bundling their games with systems over third party games, because it's a lot cheaper for them to do so. And why would Mm need "help" anyway? They're Sony's employees.

Okay, four years are enough to develop a new IP. But I dont think they will rush it into 2018 because - as I already mentioned - there are plenty of announced titles which may release in 2018. Even Bloodborne 2 is more realistic for a 2018 release than SP's Game TBH.
Why should they release SP's game before all the other already announced titles? Makes no sense to me. Except Death Stranding & TLOU2, which will launch 2018-end or 2019.
Because it is ready to go!

We'll see but I still believe in 2018.

And nah, I'm fine with them announcing games early. Movies are announced years before they even start production, the insistence games HAVE to be announced close to release seems childish to me.
I mean, we're going to have to wait regardless. A game isn't going to come out any earlier whether it is announced or not. So, why not just learn about it? Especially when we have more than enough games releasing outside of those games further away.

Some Nobody

TLOU2 is late 2019. Maybe. DS is...lol, 2020 at best.

Gravity rush 2
Horizon
MLB 17
Knack 2
Uncharted lost legacy
Hot shots golf
Farpoint
V.r
GT sport
Parappa remaster
Loco Rico remaster
Patapoon Remaster
Wipeout omega collection
Third party exclusives

Still not enough tho I'm sure

Zukkoyaki

Based on the Gameinformer cover story and IGN's recent article, Uncharted: Lost Legacy is shaping up to be a far more significant release than I think many of us were expecting. I mean, I knew it was a standalone DLC that was getting a retail release, but it seems like it's going to be pretty close to a full-length game release. Exciting!

MCD250

It'd be kinda neat if Lost Legacy turned out to be the more traditional 8-11 hour Uncharted experience compared to Uncharted 4's more expansive campaign.

Loudninja

Based on the Gameinformer cover story and IGN's recent article, Uncharted: Lost Legacy is shaping up to be a far more significant release than I think many of us were expecting. I mean, I knew it was a standalone DLC that was getting a retail release, but it seems like it's going to be pretty close to a full-length game release. Exciting!
Yeah it even has MP.

FelipeMGM

Do we know how long Uncharted The Lost Legacy has been in development? Was it just the time between UC4 and now?

Full production I guess they started after because the bulk of the studio was focused on finishing UC4, but Im inclined to believe they started pre-production some time before release. I figure the creative leads of TLL were mostly done with their work on UC4 in the end of 2015 even

Josh prob started writing this a while ago

Shaun (creative director) was cinematic director in Uncharted 4, thats also something that is done a good lenght before release

Kurt is the Director of TLL and was lead designer on UC4, but since ND had other 3 lead designers on the project (including other studio veterans like Anthony Newman and Emilia Schatz) he could have finished his stuff on UC4 some time before release too

If the whole thing started after May, then they are indeed Naughty Gods lol

So the only studio whose project is unknown yet is Sucker Punch. Tbh, I expected their game to be unveiled even before GOW4 and Kojima's game.

dracula_x

reading interview with Neil Druckmann on nodontdie.com, some interesting quotes:

– There is an escalating cost curve that's been happening in videogames since the '80s. Is there ever concern or discussion over there? Is Naughty Dog worried about whether these games are sustainable?

– [Pause.] I guess we haven't had that discussion, like some kind of existential crisis for the studio. We are aware that the budgets are ballooning and at the same time, for us, they've been more and more successful. So, it's good that those curves are lining up with each other. I think we're gonna hit some kind of diminishing -- or that curve for the cost is going to flatten I think relatively soon. Because as far as the things that cost a lot are -- well, the thing that costs the most for us are salaries for the developers in-house. So, the more developers you have, the more expensive the games are gonna be. MOCAP and the technology behind MOCAP of R&D and renting a sound stage and bringing actors onboard, I feel like for the most part that's going to flatten. I don't see it getting more expensive than what it is now. If anything, it might start getting cheaper sometime in the near future.

I feel like we've seen the worst of it, as far as, "Yeah, these games have gotten more expensive and the studios that can make this kind of game have shut down or gone more lower budget versions of these games." You're not seeing the middle-budget version anymore. But I think we've seen the worst of it. If anything, the indie games are gonna get more and more sophisticated as tools get better and cheaper.

As a quick example of that, like, Crash Bandicoot took a whole team for Naughty Dog to make over a year-plus of production. Crash Bandicoot in Uncharted 4 was one scripter.

So, it's like, games are getting harder to make and yet they're getting easier to make if you look at the games we used to make. So, Uncharted 4 right now, yeah, it's a big-budget expensive game that very few teams can make that kind of game, but in a few years I think there's gonna be a bunch of teams that can make the kind of games that we make now.

→ http://www.nodontdie.com/neil-druckmann/

AndyVirus

Loco roco is September.
May no? European date.

EDIT: Late here

I imagine Patapon and WipEout can't be any later than August. Sony can have a pretty excellent summer with their smaller titles. I was hoping Matterfall would see the light of day here, but unless it's a trailer drop + instant release at E3 I have no idea when to expect it due to no info in so long.

May no? European date.

EDIT: Late here

I imagine Patapon and WipEout can't be any later than August. Sony can have a pretty excellent summer with their smaller titles. I was hoping Matterfall would see the light of day here, but unless it's a trailer drop + instant release at E3 I have no idea when to expect it due to no info in so long.
Housemarque probably won't talk much about it until next machina is out I guess which is supposed to be coming soon.

N.Domixis

Banned

Thats no longer true with the onlsaught of 87-90 rated exclusives it got. nioh, Nier, Horizon.

You don't let a studio like MM go. Flops or not.

The only real flop they've had is Tearaway, and it was still critically acclaimed. So they did their job, Sony didn't do theirs.

I wonder if Sony even considers Tearaway a real flop.

That game was made by ~15 people for 2-2.5 years. Its not like it needed to sell a lot to be worth it or anything

Thank you! I keep saying that regardless of sales numbers, if Tearaway didn't cost a lot, both in production and marketing, then it wouldn't need to sell a ton to make a profit.

It feels as if every Sony exclusive is years away.

The total for this year announced:

Gravity Rush 2
Nioh
Malicious Fallen
Horizon: Zero Dawn
MLB 17: The Show
PaRappa the Rapper Remastered
Drawn to Death
Locoroco Remastered
Patapon Remastered
Knack 2
Gran Turismo Sport
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
New Hot Shots Golf
Wipeout Omega Collection
Fairpoint
Starblood Arena

Possibles:

Matterfall
Wild
Detroit: Become Human
Days Gone
God of War
Dreams

I want to stress possible because under no circumstance are they all coming this year. And I'm slowly thinking Spider-Man may very well be 2018 unless they surprise us (which I would be so excited). But I could see either Days Gone or God of War this year based on the progress we saw last E3. It's possible they're both 2018 games as well. Detroit I think has a decent chance as well as it was announced a couple years ago.

But that's quite a bit, and I'm totally up for more.

Parappa same day as Persona 5 Sony why you doing this to me.

Are you in Europe? In NA, it's March 28th for PaRappa.

Thats no longer true with the onlsaught of 87-90 rated exclusives it got. nioh, Nier, Horizon.

It's never been true this generation. People who say that are either focusing on the pre-Christmas 3-4 months which is so important to Microsoft, or just parroting shite they've heard people like Crapgamer say without thinking to check the facts.

It's never been true this generation. People who say that are either focusing on the pre-Christmas 3-4 months which is so important to Microsoft, or just parroting shite they've heard people like Crapgamer say without thinking to check the facts.

I think it was true the first year and that was about it. Even then, it wasn't heavily in terms of quantity of exclusives (though I think an argument can be made that quality-wise, MS was better its first year). But 2015 had most of Sony's stuff come early in the year, and 2016 was a great year as well for Sony's releases.

Some people will be dishonest to score points even if the argument makes no sense.

So the whole, It feels as if Microsoft has more exclusives because they release their biggest games at the end of the year and the Oscars nominations is not an important point that I regretted keeping in couple of minutes later after the fact.

One poster on the second last page posted a list of games that Sony is going to, plans to release throughout the year. One, half of them are remasters. Two, I don't count VR sins I don't own it and the absolute biggest majority don't either. Thirdly, until Uncharted, GT sport and Knack 2 has a date for this year and is a month out from release I won't count it.

Sony absolutely DID release quality games this year, hell Horizon is fantastic and yet we're 3 months in this year with 9 months to go. Couldn't Sony have released Gravity rush 2 in May or the Summer and horizon at the end of march and having Nioh and Yakuza being the only exclusives in the 3 first months? Instead they put almost everything out at the start for than having almost nothing latter.

And the problem that Sony announces games way to early and than later we start questioning where are the said game is? Say Detroit, Dreams or Wild.

And besides this is how I feel about it, not that you can't disagree with me or criticize my point I'm just summarizing my feelings on the matter at least what I'm trying to do.

Top Bottom