• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Shabad

The amount of games they could show at this year conference is mesmerizing really...
  • Gran Turismo Sports
  • Uncharted The Lost Legacy
  • Detroit
  • Dreams
  • Spiderman
  • Days Gone
  • God of War
  • The Last of Us 2
  • Death Stranding
  • Wild
  • Dragon Quest XI
  • Ni No Kuni 2
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • Shenmue 3
  • Everybody's Golf
  • Matterfall
  • 13 Sentinels

Sans compter les annonces potentiels, voire probable du côté de Sucker Punch et From Software...

I expect to see:

New Sucker Punch IP
GT Sport
FFVII Remake
God of War
Detroit Become Human
Day's Gone
Spider Man
Call of Duty 2017
Destiny
Battlefront 2

That doesn't necessarily leave much space for new game announcements though. I'm not entirely sure what else they could announce. Have there been any rumors of a new From Software collaboration?

Might be a little too soon for Horizon DLC I think. PSX maybe?

Maybe, but could have started production before Horizon was finished. Hopefully any DLC will be substantial like Infamous, Uncharted rather than released in small chunks. The Last thing Horizon needs is challenge arenas or horde mode.

sackninja

Maybe, but could have started production before Horizon was finished. Hopefully any DLC will be substantial like Infamous, Uncharted rather than released in small chunks. The Last thing Horizon needs is challenge arenas or horde mode.

I mean a hoard mode with ribots could be pretty cool.

Sorry but expecting TLOU2 at E3 is crazy, let alone expecting it to be their big open. The game hasn't even entered full production yet, nor does it have a game director, there's no way it's ready to be shown in a significant way. I'm betting they're going to go dark with it until PSX at the very earliest (though even that seems kinda early).

As for the conference layout, assuming the structure is the same as the last couple of years, I think it's a safe bet to say God of War will close the show. Aside from GT Sport, that'll be their next major blockbuster and SSM always deliver on the spectacle. For the opener, I'm guessing they'll go with Sucker Punch's New IP, followed by FromSoft's New IP shortly afterwards.

The God

Sorry but expecting TLOU2 at E3 is crazy, let alone expecting it to be their big open. The game hasn't even entered full production yet, nor does it have a game director, there's no way it's ready to be shown in a significant way. I'm betting they're going to go dark with it until PSX at the very earliest (though even that seems kinda early).

As for the conference layout, assuming the structure is the same as the last couple of years, I think it's a safe bet to say God of War will close the show. Aside from GT Sport, that'll be their next major blockbuster and SSM always deliver on the spectacle. For the opener, I'm guessing they'll go with Sucker Punch's New IP, followed by FromSoft's New IP shortly afterwards.

I don't see why any of that matters tbh. This is same company that has no problem showing games like Death Stranding or the Final Fantasy VII remake. In fact I think it's crazy to not expect TLoU 2 to be there in some form.

I don't see why any of that matters tbh. This is same company that has no problem showing games like Death Stranding or the Final Fantasy VII remake. In fact I think it's crazy to not expect TLoU 2 to be there in some form.

Unless you think Sony owns Square Enix, I'm not sure what FFVIIR has to do with anything.

But Death Stranding is an example of Sony letting Kojima do his thing. It clearly doesn't apply to all their games, seeing as Dreams wasn't at their E3 conference last year.

I mean, you can keep dreaming but Naughty Dog already have a game coming out this year and Sony made it absolutely clear when they announced TLOU2 that it was still very early in development. At most I'd expect a few seconds of montage footage.

DieH@rd

Banned
Sorry but expecting TLOU2 at E3 is crazy, let alone expecting it to be their big open. The game hasn't even entered full production yet, nor does it have a game director, there's no way it's ready to be shown in a significant way.

Neil Druckman is both story and gameplay director on TLOU2 project.

There was discussion here when that was announced on PSX, lots of people yelling that everything will be story and that gameplay will be marginalized. :D Usual GAF overreaction.

wapplew

The amount of games they could show at this year conference is mesmerizing really...
  • Gran Turismo Sports
  • Detroit
  • Dreams
  • Spiderman
  • Days Gone
  • God of War
  • The Last of Us 2
  • Death Stranding
  • Wild
  • Dragon Quest XI
  • Ni No Kuni 2
  • Shenmue 3
  • Everybody's Golf
  • Matterfall
  • 13 Sentinels

Sans compter les annonces potentiels, voire probable du côté de Sucker Punch et From Software...

Can't wait for "where is X, is it cancelled?" When any one of those miss E3.

FelipeMGM

So... how does Sony start the show off?

2015 ~ The Last Guardian
2016 ~ God of War
2017 ~ ???

I'm not sure Sony slides in a new IP in that spot since new IP's do not hold any weight.

Sony had the same opening strategy in 2015 and 2016. Open with a beloved IP, followed by a new IP (TLG-Horizon, GoW-Days Gone)

The duo GoW-''Dead Dont Ride'' was my bet for the opening in 2016 and since that did happen, Im going with the same mentality here

Opens up with ''BloodBorne 2'', people go nuts
followed by Sucker Punch's New IP

Now, to predict the ending is harder. 2015 was Uncharted 4 gameplay, 2016 Days Gone gameplay, so I dont see a pattern for the kind of game they will have there, just assume that it will be gameplay

And I still dont think we'll see TLoU Pt II there. Thats the PSX opening IMO

Neil Druckman is both story and gameplay director on TLOU2 project.

There was discussion here when that was announced on PSX, lots of people yelling that everything will be story and that gameplay will be marginalized. :D Usual GAF overreaction.

That was never confirmed, it was just speculation because we know Druckmann's the only director at this point and Straley's not going to work on it once he returns from his break.

Logically, I can't see them suddenly moving back to a solo director, not when they've said for years that the game and creative director roles are too big for one person to do. That's why my guess was that Kurt Margenau would move over to be TLOU2's game director once TLL was finished, making way for Straley to join Shaun Escayg and Josh Scherr's team to create a new IP.

The God

Unless you think Sony owns Square Enix, I'm not sure what FFVIIR has to do with anything.

But Death Stranding is an example of Sony letting Kojima do his thing. It clearly doesn't apply to all their games, seeing as Dreams wasn't at their E3 conference last year.

I mean, you can keep dreaming but Naughty Dog already have a game coming out this year and Sony made it absolutely clear when they announced TLOU2 that it was still very early in development. At most I'd expect a few seconds of montage footage.

My point is that a game being early in development has obviously never stopped Sony from promoting it so I don't see why it's crazy to expect TLoU2 to be there.

The conference will be made entirely within Dreams, the will build all the trailers and gameplay showcases of the other games with the Dreams tools

and close the keynote by announcing that Dreams is out NOW
Lock it. lol that would be amazing. I do hope they troll with the dreams trailer. Have sackboy start it off or something like that

Open with Horizon DLC followed by new Sucker Punch IP. Close with new Miyazaki exclusive.

In between you'll get:

-Detroit release date.
-Days Gone release window.
-Spider-Man gameplay
-GOW gameplay.
-Uncharted DLC release date.
-New Parappa announcement.

New PaRappa announcement? Are there plans to remaster others?

• Gran Turismo Sports
  • Detroit
  • Dreams
  • Spiderman
  • Days Gone
  • God of War
  • The Last of Us 2
  • Death Stranding
  • Wild
  • Dragon Quest XI
  • Ni No Kuni 2
  • Shenmue 3
  • Everybody's Golf
  • Matterfall
  • 13 Sentinels

And that's just stuff we know about. ^_^

Sony had the same opening strategy in 2015 and 2016. Open with a beloved IP, followed by a new IP (TLG-Horizon, GoW-Days Gone)

The duo GoW-''Dead Dont Ride'' was my bet for the opening in 2016 and since that did happen, Im going with the same mentality here

Opens up with ''BloodBorne 2'', people go nuts
followed by Sucker Punch's New IP

Now, to predict the ending is harder. 2015 was Uncharted 4 gameplay, 2016 Days Gone gameplay, so I dont see a pattern for the kind of game they will have there, just assume that it will be gameplay

And I still dont think we'll see TLoU Pt II there. Thats the PSX opening IMO
I think this might be it but instead of Bloodborne 2 it will be a new IP from From.

My point is that a game being early in development has obviously never stopped Sony from promoting it so I don't see why it's crazy to expect TLoU2 to be there.

It just doesn't make a sense at this point. You say Sony aren't shy of showing games early but so far, those announcements have all been very deliberate and they haven't been shy of going dark either (see: God of War, Spider-Man and Days Gone's non-appearances at PSX). Aside from Death Stranding, every Sony game this gen has had a substantial gameplay trailer with its first or second showing and I don't think TLOU2 is at that point yet.

And sure, I guess Naughty Dog could pull a Kojima and continually dish out teasers every 6 months but until that actually happens, I really don't think they're going to go down that route.

Sony has a timed exclusive deal for the title.

I know that, so? You think that deal gives Sony control over its marketing? Sorry but that's ridiculous, Square Enix were the ones who made that decision (which they even said was done to try and give Japanese console sales a helping hand).

FelipeMGM

Just to be clear, Sony wanted to save TLOU II for E3. It was ND's decision to release that trailer at PSX.

which is why I dont think we'll se them at this E3, ND loves PSX. So I think its PSX 17 for that debut gameplay and another gameplay section at E3 2018

Just like they did for Uncharted 4

there is no need for Sony to show TLOU at the E3 Conference, unless the Game is set for an 2018 release date.
they have a shit ton of games (unlike 2013-15) and a limited amount of time.

Also there are more than enough big games that will boost the hype (GOW, FF7 Remake, Spiderman, Shenmue, DS + new announcements + third parties)

I just hope Sony just continue to drop bombs. For console manufacturers, it's not about what can be done here and now but what's coming in the future. As long as we have a good road ahead with developing content then playstation owners don't need to migrate to other devices and remain dedicated to their console. Quite honestly I don't need another console, playstation covers everything I like as a gamer. But I know there is content I really want to have way down the line as well as right here and now.

The ideal conference has surprises, nostalgia, current development updates, near release updates and glimpses of the future.
Yep.

There is stuff coming out now, stuff coming out soon, stuff coming out within the next year and stuff coming out beyond that. If it was only stuff that was coming years from now, obviously that would be an issue but Sony has actually created a good flow for everything from now to years from now.

I mean, this quarter alone almost makes me want stuff like God of War to not come out at all this year. Too many games.

Zukkoyaki

The opener is usually something hype as fuck that the crowd recognizes pretty quickly like TLG in 2015 and God of War last year. I think a new From Software exclusive is the perfect candidate for this year. The second their logo appears, crowd will go crazy.

AAMARMO

Banned
Updated my predictions:
qkFaMNB.png

Only one new first party announcement?

What other first party can even announce stuff? Sucker Punch is the only one that has had time to develop anything new. Maybe some small project from the guys that made Entwined. Mayyyyyybe something small from Japan Studio but they have their hands kinda full.

SP is the only studio that can show anything big that is tangible.

Toli08

FF7 Remake opens and it features the reveal of Aerith. While we have the orchestra play the music. Final footage shows Sepiroth and reveals the official release date as Dec 2017 for part one. Gaf and the internet break.

That can happen right? Please tell me that will happen!

FF7 Remake opens and it features the reveal of Aerith. While we have the orchestra play the music. Final footage shows Sepiroth and reveals the official release date as Dec 2017 for part one. Gaf and the internet break.

That can happen right? Please tell me that will happen!

*snort*

I'd love the orchestral performance with the large theater/stage setup to be the new norm. Absolutely loved the vibe.

Yeah, that was great. I actually watched the conference the whole way through for the music. I usually just catch the separate trailers after the conference is done. It would be epic to hear Bloodborne 2's music played by a live orchestra. :)

What other first party can even announce stuff? Sucker Punch is the only one that has had time to develop anything new. Maybe some small project from the guys that made Entwined. Mayyyyyybe something small from Japan Studio but they have their hands kinda full.

SP is the only studio that can show anything big that is tangible.

They seem to have a lot more in development that some are expecting. Here's Yoshida commenting on it

“We’re working on a great number of still unannounced titles. Look forward to their announcements.”

http://gematsu.com/2017/01/atlus-sq...re-2017-ambitions-famitsu-dengeki-playstation

Japan Studio producers

“While I can’t say any details yet, we’re also moving forward with the creation of ambitious new titles and new title concepts at the same time, so please continue to support Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Studio in 2017.”

“Since behind the scenes activities have been ongoing since Bloodborne, I hope this will be a year that bears the fruit of the things we’ve built upon so far.”

http://gematsu.com/2016/12/4gamer-interviews-japanese-creators-2017-ambitions

Top Bottom