• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Skeeter49

With TGS coming up I wonder if we'll see anything from Sony Japan, or if they'd push everything to PSX. 2015 was such a good year with Everybody's Golf, Bloodborne DLC, GR Remastered, and GR2.

With Knack 2 being shown off at PSX, I would assume that's where they'll show all Sony Japan games
not made by Toyama :(

Sucker Punch and Pixel Opus I would hope are at PSX.

I ain't say all that tho..MLB is masterclass
Need to get back into MLB before Everybody's Golf eats up all it's time for me.

With TGS coming up I wonder if we'll see anything from Sony Japan, or if they'd push everything to PSX. 2015 was such a good year with Everybody's Golf, Bloodborne DLC, GR Remastered, and GR2.

With Knack 2 being shown off at PSX, I would assume that's where they'll show all Sony Japan games

Need to get back into MLB before Everybody's Golf eats up all it's time for me.

They will most likely show more of No Heroes Allowed! VR and the recently announced
Monkey King: Hero Is Back The Game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iskWad8Gtas

FelipeMGM

A shame about Gnomageddon, it looks interesting in that video, reminds me of PvZ Garden Warfare

SIEJA has announced at least one game every year at their TGS pre-show, so Im expecting something like that again

Maybe more of SoTC PS4 too, since thats supposed to be Early 2018

jayu26

Let Sony San Diego do an AAA. Or maybe AA tier game. I would really like it if they could establish another good project along with MLB.

I don't doubt if they make a compelling pitch for a AA or even AAA project Sony would get interested and allow them to at least explore it. But San Diego's management wants to chase after Free to Play for some reason. It hasn't worked out for them and now Sony seems to have scaled back the expansion plans for San Diego.

I was disappointed with Uncharted 4 and rated it an 8.5/10. It's simply not that great. Horrible pacing, only one action sequence, repeating enemy tank that never seemed to go away, boring lame predictable story centered around a soap opera with two new characters that while good were completely wasted and misused. Crappy flashback sequences that felt like it was cut out of U3 and pasted into U4. Horrible ending boss fight with a new gameplay mechanic that doesn't exist in the entire game. Also felt more like a team based shooter majority of the time. The BEST thing about Uncharted 4 was by far the "pirate story". Would love to know what Amy's version of U4 would have been. Oh well.

For me, TLL is going to be what U4 should have been in every way and I can't wait!!!
Disappointing
Boring
Lame
Predictable

8.5? That's a really generous score based on your impressions, an 8.5 game to me is really good, edging on greatness.

FelipeMGM

SIEE trademarked a bunch of ''Knowledge Is Power'' tm's last month, in six different languages.

DHD96lfUIAEQ1Cl.jpg:large

The game is the second project from Wish Studios (the first was ''That's You!'') for the Playlink platform. Since all the tm's are up, expecting the release to be soon (a month or two), like it happened with ''That's You''

Just in case...spoilers....

Yeah...one action sequence in Uncharted 4 which I believe is chapter 10 if I remember correctly with you being dragged in the mud attached to the truck. That was it. There's no other action sequences like that and when I say action sequence, I mean that one, the building and train from U2 and the cargo plane from U3.

I guess you could add in the jeep when the tank is chasing you but after that, the tank becomes a repetitive nuisance that lasts throughout the game somehow to where when you destroy, another one pops up.

I don't consider that an action sequence. To me, an action sequence is like those I explained above and actually ends. The tank chasing you throughout the majority of U4 just isn't an action scene.

If anyone wants to consider the jeep/tank early on as an action scene, that's up to them but for me, I considered it to be a repetitive nuisance that doesn't end until the end of the game and even then, it comes back. No no no.

I simply think that U4 is highly overrated and outside of visuals, it's lacking in a lot of areas and just more negatives than positives for me personally. U2 is still by far and away the best in the series in my opinion.

When I first played Uncharted 1 and 2 which I did back to back after buying a slim PS3, they were both awesome because they literally made you feel like you were in an action packed Indiana Jones movie. Uncharted 3 was good but the romantic crap in U4 just becomes the main focal point and im sorry but that's NOT why im playing Uncharted.

In some ways, I actually prefer the original Uncharted over U4 because it succeeds in what it is. U4 is not even close. Only reason why I have U4 3rd instead of 4th is because visually it obviously looks better and the characters are obviously better and more developed since it's the fourth game in the series. But I can honestly say that I had more fun playing the original Uncharted than I did U4.

Moving on from that disappointment, im very much looking forward to TLL which for me at least will be the second best game in the franchise and the reason why im so confident in saying that is very simple - it's no longer being dragged down by the never ending romantic saga of Nate and Elena. They are gone thank God and hopefully, never come back. Let the other characters and new stories with new treasures to go after and find take center stage.

My only concern for TLL is that tank and hoping that if it's throughout an entire chapter, fine but if it turns out like U4 where it just keeps coming back, then yeah, that will be a major complaint. As long as that doesn't happen, im fully expecting at the very least, an easy 9/10 for me personally.

That's not true at all. An action sequence is an action sequence; there are no caveats to it.

These:

are all set pieces, and they're all action-oriented.

And what do you mean, "The truck lasts through the whole game?" You destroy one in Chapter 12, then another two in one of the game's last set pieces. And they're both fantastic.

Skeeter49

For me, one thing I liked about the lack of enemies in Uncharted 4, was that it felt like the levels with enemies were better designed and more fun to play around in/ try different approaches.

I don't doubt if they make a compelling pitch for a AA or even AAA project Sony would get interested and allow them to at least explore it. But San Diego's management wants to chase after Free to Play for some reason. It hasn't worked out for them and now Sony seems to have scaled back the expansion plans for San Diego.

Did you watch the video? I pointed this out to you in the other thread but based on what's said in it, Sony San Diego were essentially two different studios, with different management and offices. In other words, the Sony San Diego that made MLB The Show != the Sony San Diego that made Kill Strain/Gnomaggedon.

You'll also find that F2P has actually worked out for the MLB The Show Sony San Diego, as I believe they collaborated with Valkyrie on Guns Up!, which has apparently done well for Sony.

jayu26

Did you watch the video? I pointed this out to you in the other thread but based on what's said in it, Sony San Diego were essentially two different studios, with different management and offices. In other words, the Sony San Diego that made MLB The Show != the Sony San Diego that made Kill Strain/Gnomaggedon.

You'll also find that F2P has actually worked out for the MLB The Show Sony San Diego, as I believe they collaborated with Valkyrie on Guns Up!, which has apparently done well for Sony.

I haven't had a chance to watch the video. I didn't suggest that team responsible for MLB have been involved with these free to play endeavours. But I do remember one a San Diego spokes person talk about their expansion plans and want to make games other than MLB during early days of PS4. I am not sure why they would keep the same name if this studio had no relation to the San Diego studio that makes MLB. I don't doubt that the various teams had little interactions with each other, perhaps even different buildings, but I also don't doubt the upper management was the same for both teams.

I don't know about Guns Up and MLB is a different beast, but from where I stand they have now tried two or three times to make a free to play games, both internally and in collaboration with external teams (Drawn to Death). It doesn't seem to have worked out too well for them and they ended up scaling back a little last year.

And for now they are focused on MLB or at least that is what the job openings at San Diego would suggests.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Disappointing
Boring
Lame
Predictable

8.5? That's a really generous score based on your impressions, an 8.5 game to me is really good, edging on greatness.

Well...I have my own personal rating setup. It's 0-10 with 5 average, 7 good, 8 great, 9 excellent and 10 classic. I don't give 10's simply because no game including my all time favorites deserve it because no game is perfect and that's how I look at a perfect 10 score - perfect. 9.5/10 is the highest I go since I score in half point increments.

I have five categories I rate games in. First category consists of graphics, animations, immersion, atmosphere, character models and environments. Second category consists of music, sound and voice acting. Third category consists of gameplay, camera, controls, mechanics, a.i., bugs/glitches, etc. Fourth category consists of story, characters and if applicable, mission objectives. Fifth category is mainly for open world games and consists of side quests, collectables, extras, length and replay value. I don't use the fifth category for linear based games (Uncharted, The Evil Within, Wolfenstein, etc.) because I won't play through the game more than once and whatever I get, I get and whatever I miss, I miss. Using the fifth category for linear games wouldn't be fair and just end up lowering the overall score which is the average of all the categories.

The only games that aren't open world in which I used that fifth category were Deus Ex: MD and Rise of the Tomb Raider because they have side quests and for ROTTR, a lot more collectables and stuff to acquire.

Now that I explained that, my ratings were 10 for graphics and an 8 for the other three categories which averages it out to an 8.5/10. Last generation, I gave Uncharted an 8.5/10, U2 a 9.5/10 and U3 a 9/10 but I only rated games overall. Going into this generation, I decided to add the categories and be more strict than I was last generation. This gen, out of 50 completed games (I don't score games unless I complete them), I have only given two games a 9.5/10 (TW3 and Horizon ZD) and seven games a 9.0/10. Basically, im very strict and not going to hand out 9+ just for the hell of it and because every critic/user does so.

Back to Uncharted 4, below are my positives and negatives (hopefully, I don't forget any) and are in spoilers since it seems some are still playing the game.

+ Visuals (obviously)
+ Voice Acting
+ Characters
+ Pirate Story (this is what kept me playing the game until completion)
+ Action Sequence with the crane truck
+ Opening boat sequence
+ Jeep was fun and using the winch was innovative

- Main Story was a disappointment. Too focused on the romance saga of Nate and Elena which sorry but by U3, I had enough of it.
- Too much team based shooting. It's more of a team based shooter than playing solo.
- Marking of enemies. I turned this crap off but shouldn't be in the game period.
- Stealth wasn't as good as previous entries because majority of the time, the other characters would be seen and screw me up to where it turns into a shootout.
- Gameplay while great for what it is was repetitive. Climb, slide down some mud or gravel, walk, repeat. Shooting and melee was solid but I played better games last year.
- Too long/dragged/horrible pacing. This is throughout the entire game. One moment, it's an awesome and entertaining but next several chapters, it's slow paced and just not interesting.
- Flashback scenes. Hated them all.
- Sam and Nadine. While both are good in general, they were both misused and quite honestly, not needed at all. U4 could be without both and there would be no difference because.....
- No turn/swerve/etc. whatsoever. This was disappointing. I fully expected a turn, a character death, something but nope. The entire game is played safe which makes it go out on a sour note for me. Was hoping honestly for Nate to die but knew it wasn't going to happen. Like Batman Arkham Knight, I hate the slogans used for the respective games because it makes you think that the lead is dying but nope. Amazingly, he lives on.
- Predictable setup at the end. Sam leaves and you chase after him. Boring.
- Horrible ending boss fight. Amazingly, this has happened before to me. MGS2. No sword fighting AT ALL the entire game but what the hell, let's introduce it to the player at the END of the game...seriously, WTF?
- Horrible epilogue. Sorry but wasn't a fan of the "cute family ending". Come on. Do something risky and daring. Nope. Just played it safe which made it lame to me.
- Should have stayed fully linear. The open ended areas served no purpose except to use the jeep and while the chase scene with the tank was cool as was driving with Elena, like the Batmobile in AK, it overstays it's welcome and just becomes the same loop over and over. Hate the open areas because unlike Deus Ex: MD and ROTTR, there's literally nothing there to do and no, I don't care about collecting trinkets.
- The tank. Once while in the jeep and being chased is cool. But that's it. The end where you have to destroy it twice (if I remember correctly) was just predictable and boring. The main antagonist is rich and what, he can't afford a helicopter or something else besides a tank? Come on.
- The sound for when Nate dies. Unless im off, it sounded like they changed this. Not a fan of that decision.
- Puzzles sucked. Just too little, too easy.

After all that, hopefully, I didn't forget anything but I probably did. Despite the 8.5/10 score, I was simply disappointed by the game and quite honestly, except for the characters and writing, ROTTR is easily the better overall game and yes, was my personal 2016 goty because unlike the majority of stuff in Uncharted 4, everything in ROTTR has a purpose where as like Batman Arkham Knight, a lot of stuff in U4 just felt like it was included just for the sake of it being included but that's just my own personal opinion. Loved U2 and enjoyed U3 but U3 started the downslide story and character wise because you could see all the attention and focus was on Nate and Elena. Problem is that's NOT why im playing Uncharted. The soap opera drama romance overshadows everything else in the game including good secondary characters, a good antagonist, the pirate story which should be the main focal point but isn't and an absolutely gorgeous locale. In the end, U4 just wasn't what it should have been.

Moving on, with Nate and Elena long gone (thankfully), TLL can finally go back to what made the series awesome to begin with and im fully expecting it to at the very least be the second best in the franchise behind U2 simply because my number one complaint from U4 is no longer the focal point and thus, not holding down the game.

That's not true at all. An action sequence is an action sequence; there are no caveats to it.

are all set pieces, and they're all action-oriented.

And what do you mean, "The truck lasts through the whole game?" You destroy one in Chapter 12, then another two in one of the game's last set pieces. And they're both fantastic.

Not to me. I'll give you the boat in the beginning but the rest, nope. When I think action set piece sequence, im thinking the building and train in U2 and the cargo plane in U3. Not continuous basic action which is nothing more than being in cover and shooting which nearly every game basically has. I'm thinking those set pieces, an awesome escape and a slow down part. Majority of U4 doesn't have that compared to U2 and U3. Maybe it's just me and how I looked at it when I played through the game but that's how I felt while playing.

The tank is in certain chapters and even when you destroy it, it comes back again and again and again. I hated the ending with the two tanks. To me, it was just repeating what was already done earlier, wasn't any fun to me and just overstayed it's welcome. Plus, the guy is rich and he can't afford a helicopter or something else? Just tank after tank after tank? Simply turned me off.

I haven't had a chance to watch the video. I didn't suggest that team responsible for MLB have been involved with these free to play endeavours. But I do remember one a San Diego spokes person talk about their expansion plans and want to make games other than MLB during early days of PS4. I am not sure why they would keep the same name if this studio had no relation to the San Diego studio that makes MLB. I don't doubt that the various teams had little interactions with each other, perhaps even different buildings, but I also don't doubt the upper management was the same for both teams.

I don't know about Guns Up and MLB is a different beast, but from where I stand they have now tried two or three times to make a free to play games, both internally and in collaboration with external teams (Drawn to Death). It doesn't seem to have worked out too well for them and they ended up scaling back a little last year.

And for now they are focused on MLB or at least that is what the job openings at San Diego would suggests.

Stop jumping to conclusions until you've watched the video then. You're making stuff up for things it explains.

A basic summary is San Diego have had two different offices for years. The main office made the Mark of Kri, MLB The Show and NBA games and collaborated with exdevs on a number of different games (Drawn to Death, Starblood Arena and Guns Up! are recent ones). The other office was basically a port developer, tasked with the shitty jobs, like the PS2 and PSP versions of MLB The Show. Modnation Racers for Vita was the first game they'd made themselves and the success of that gave them the freedom to eventually move onto their own original PS4 projects (which ended up as Kill Strain and Gnomaggedon).

The "scaling back" had no impact on the main office as far as we're aware, it was the other office that was basically closed down.

Sygma

Part of my issue with TW3 personally is that it's a drastic step down from TW1/2. And man, the Wild Hunt was such a big disappointment as an antagonistic force.

3 is far and away the best Witcher game but it came at the expense of a much less interesting plot, political world and villains.

Even the final choices in TW3 are muted and don't remotely compare vs. the impact felt with the players choices in the first two games.

^ Witcher 3 ironically tried really hard to become a better Witcher 1. I ll give props to CD Red for some of the quests that involved mystic / gore etc, also I think that Skellige as a whole was as fantastic as say the Swamp / Lakeside but holy shit they completely failed everything else.

The Wild Hunt was simply disappointing to say the least, most of the quests in Novigraad were INSANELY boring and the whole apartheid retranscription also failed amazingly short compared to what they managed to bring on the table in the first opus. Its what I really dont get with that serie. Blood & Wine is the best thing straight after Witcher 1, they never really managed to capture what made it so special outside of these two games

Not to me. I'll give you the boat in the beginning but the rest, nope. When I think action set piece sequence, im thinking the building and train in U2 and the cargo plane in U3. Not continuous basic action which is nothing more than being in cover and shooting which nearly every game basically has. I'm thinking those set pieces, an awesome escape and a slow down part. M

The building had being in cover and shooting, as did the train. Cargo plain had shooting and melee...

Those are all set pieces I listed, to which 4 has a wealth of them. It's not really about what an action sequence is "to you." What a weird argument.

jayu26

Stop jumping to conclusions until you've watched the video then. You're making stuff up for things it explains.

A basic summary is San Diego have had two different offices for years. The main office made the Mark of Kri, MLB The Show and NBA games and collaborated with exdevs on a number of different games (Drawn to Death, Starblood Arena and Guns Up! are recent ones). The other office was basically a port developer, tasked with the shitty jobs, like the PS2 and PSP versions of MLB The Show. Modnation Racers for Vita was the first game they'd made themselves and the success of that gave them the freedom to eventually move onto their own original PS4 projects (which ended up as Kill Strain and Gnomaggedon).

The "scaling back" had no impact on the main office as far as we're aware, it was the other office that was basically closed down.
Really dude!?

Sigh, okay let's see my first post in the other thread...

One of these you will get it right Sony San Diego, one of these days you will be known for something other than MLB.
An innocuous joke about Sony San Diego's inability to get a hit outside MLB.

Your response...
If you watched the video, they weren't even really the same studio. Different offices, different management and different games, it comes off like they were essentially two different studios with the same name. The way Sony San Diego would juggle multiple projects of different sizes makes a bit more sense now, as does the way Sony closed that part of SSD down.

Okay fine, it is two different studios with same name.

My post in this thread...

You took umbrage with "But San Diego's management wants to chase after Free to Play for some reason" line and responded with...

Okay, so what should I call the studio that was working on Gnomageddon? Should I say Gnomageddon team every time to make the distinction? Here...
I don't doubt if they make a compelling pitch for a AA or even AAA project Sony would get interested and allow them to at least explore it. But Gnomageddon team wants to chase after Free to Play for some reason. It hasn't worked out for them and now Sony seems to have scaled back the expansion plans for Gnomageddon team.
The point still seems to stand. That team tried something they thought would work. It didn't. The team got reduced or absorbed or axed.

You want me to say it was a different studio? Fine I concede. Gnomageddon team and MLB team are different studios.

The point still seems to stand. That team tried something they thought would work. It didn't. The team got reduced or absorbed or axed.

You want me to say it was a different studio? Fine I concede. Gnomageddon team and MLB team are different studios.

Calm down. I'll admit I was frustrated when I read your first post in this thread because you were repeating stuff I'd corrected in the other thread and I'm not a fan of dismissing F2P liked it seemed you were (I'm not a fan of it but that doesn't mean I don't think F2P should be completely avoided). But you took my second post the complete wrong way. I was just pointing out that a) You should really watch the video before jumping to conclusions (though I wrote up a brief summary for you anyway) and b) If they were planning on expanding the main/MLB office, then I doubt the closure of the second/Kill Strain office would've had much impact on it, so I wouldn't really worry about that aspect.

Oh and as an aside, Drawn to Death isn't F2P. It was originally but they cut it. They did give it away on PS+ though.

They did not announce it yet, so most likely no conference [but they will be on the show floor ofc].

in 2014, Sony had the most epic GamesCon conference in history when they announced P.T. and then later it was revealed what it was. And since then they started skipping conferences in the convention. I hope they will have one this year and announce something as epic.

It's a shame a Europe show doesn't happen anymore. PSX stole its content.

I will riot if TGS show ever disappears.

Does Sony still give concern about TGS? I don't recall something groundbreaking announced there in the past years, let alone a worth noting conference.

FelipeMGM

Does Sony still give concern about TGS? I don't recall something groundbreaking announced there in the past years, let alone a worth noting conference.

2015?

Sony announced Bloodborne The Old Hunters, Gravity Rush Remastered and Gravity Rush 2 there. Third parties announced Yakuza 6, Yakuza Kiwami, Nioh, KOF XIV, 13 Sentinels, KH 2.8 and Danganronpa V3 at the show

It also had a big troll moment during the announcement of Resident Evil: Umbrella Corps, everyone thought a RE7 announcement was coming up lol

jayu26

Calm down. I'll admit I was frustrated when I read your first post in this thread because you were repeating stuff I'd corrected in the other thread and I'm not a fan of dismissing F2P liked it seemed you were (I'm not a fan of it but that doesn't mean I don't think F2P should be completely avoided). But you took my second post the complete wrong way. I was just pointing out that a) You should really watch the video before jumping to conclusions (though I wrote up a brief summary for you anyway) and b) If they were planning on expanding the main/MLB office, then I doubt the closure of the second/Kill Strain office would've had much impact on it, so I wouldn't really worry about that aspect.

Oh and as an aside, Drawn to Death isn't F2P. It was originally but they cut it. They did give it away on PS+ though.
When did I suggest that this is going to have an impact on MLB? Why does that point need to be made as a retort to my earlier posts?

I don't like free to play game design. That's true. But we can take that to another thread.

When did I suggest that this is going to have an impact on MLB? Why does that point need to be made as a retort to my earlier posts?

I don't like free to play game design. That's true. But we can take that to another thread.

It's literally right there in one of the posts you quoted:

And then you alluded to it twice in your next post, implying that you still thought it hurt the studio:

Bizarre argument.

Anyway, I still think it's shitty Sony have two big NA conferences but absolutely fucking nothing in Europe.

2015?

Sony announced Bloodborne The Old Hunters, Gravity Rush Remastered and Gravity Rush 2 there. Third parties announced Yakuza 6, Yakuza Kiwami, Nioh, KOF XIV, 13 Sentinels, KH 2.8 and Danganronpa V3 at the show

It also had a big troll moment during the announcement of Resident Evil: Umbrella Corps, everyone thought a RE7 announcement was coming up lol

2015? I thought all were in 2014 too, besides when Kojima announced Silent Hills, showing (scrapped) Lisa in MGS5 and Deepd Down gameplay was shown. I thought it was the last best year at TGS.

Shin-Ra

Regarding Clever Beans' "next exciting AAA console project."

The Beans originally described WipEout Omega Collection as part of a "AAA console franchise" so I'm hopeful of something similar.

timmyp53

in 2014, Sony had the most epic GamesCon conference in history when they announced P.T. and then later it was revealed what it was. And since then they started skipping conferences in the convention. I hope they will have one this year and announce something as epic.
"Epic" ...nope. just blew up due to community and kojima/sh fans. Conference was tame.

Not continuous basic action which is nothing more than being in cover and shooting which nearly every game basically has. I'm thinking those set pieces, an awesome escape and a slow down part. Majority of U4 doesn't have that compared to U2 and U3. Maybe it's just me and how I looked at it when I played through the game but that's how I felt while playing.

The action in U4 isn't basic at all. It has excellent open level design with a lot of verticality that allows for excellent cat and mouse games with the AI. Mechanically, it's easily the best Uncharted and its encounter design wipes the floor with any Tomb Raider.

And yes, it does have less set-pieces but U found the jeep ride / bike chase one of the best in the series. Much better than the simplistic cargo plane sequence of UC3.

"Epic" ...nope. just blew up due to community and kojima/sh fans. Conference was tame.

I was talking about the results of such announcement, that happened later than the conference itself.
I hope we will get something as remarkable this year. I hope for Dreams Beta.

Probably a teaser trailer for Project Re: Fantasy at TGS with an official title reveal. A gameplay trailer early next year (feb) like Persona 5.

Project-Re-Fantasy-Job-Listing_07-05-17.jpg

Maybe Fromsofts Armored Core at Gamescom then gameplay at TGS? The next ARPG being a possible exlusive could be revealed at TGS. If not, PSX.

Well looks like we finally know what happened to Gnomageddon. Game was trademarked by Sony awhile ago but nothing came of it. Apparently it was a Free 2 Play Moba like Online third person action game being developed by Sony San Diego which was canceled after Kill Strain bombed.

Link to thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1418806

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux2YRVokMGo

I guess you can't know if you don't try, but Sony's F2P efforts....yikes. What a disaster.

The God

Probably a teaser trailer for Project Re: Fantasy at TGS with an official title reveal. A gameplay trailer early next year (feb) like Persona 5.

Project-Re-Fantasy-Job-Listing_07-05-17.jpg

Maybe Fromsofts Armored Core at Gamescom then gameplay at TGS? The next ARPG being a possible exlusive could be revealed at TGS. If not, PSX.

I think From would've been at E3 if they were announcing anything in 2017. Same as Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
The action in U4 isn't basic at all. It has excellent open level design with a lot of verticality that allows for excellent cat and mouse games with the AI. Mechanically, it's easily the best Uncharted and its encounter design wipes the floor with any Tomb Raider.

And yes, it does have less set-pieces but U found the jeep ride / bike chase one of the best in the series. Much better than the simplistic cargo plane sequence of UC3.

It does but the verticality gets wasted more times than not thanks to your AI teammates ruining it for me by being constantly detected and doing what I don't want them to do.

I enjoyed all the encounters in ROTTR and to be perfectly honest, I prefer ROTTR over Uncharted 4 in almost every way. To me, it's simply the better overall game and was a lot more fun to play. The open areas had meaning and purpose where as in U4, it's just open ended for the sake of being open ended which to me is a negative as opposed to being a positive. The only area that U4 is better in is story, characters and script but at the same time, it was the fourth game in the franchise with all the characters established and two new characters in Sam and Nadine were completely unnecessary, not needed and if they were never in the game to begin with, it wouldn't even make a difference. Outside of Lara herself, the characters and story are the weak spot in ROTTR but everything else is excellent, more enjoyable and fun to play that it doesn't have as big of an impact as the negatives in U4 does to me.

The opening boat sequence was okay, the jeep/tank and bike/tank sequences were good but the truck with the crane was by far the best sequence in U4 and while I do prefer that over the cargo plane in U3, it all comes up short compared to the train and building in U2. I also believe that U3 is the better overall game when compared to U4.

U4 is a great 8-8.5/10 game, no doubt but 9/10 is debatable and anything higher, no way. At least not to me anyway especially when the previous two games in the series were better overall.

To each their own though bud.

Top Bottom