• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

I hope Matterfall from Housemarque is okay, I was thinking we're gonna see Matterfall first and then the Jarvis Project.

Yeah, it's a little worrying that it's been over a year since we've seen anything for it. Is there even any gameplay footage for it available yet?

Is that Sony JRPG that Verendus hinted still a thing? Has he said anything more about it?

I don't know the details of what he lied about or why he's been banned, but at this point given it's been, what, well over two years since he first talked about it (?) I think it's best to assume the game is not happening.

Is that Sony JRPG that Verendus hinted still a thing? Has he said anything more about it?

he is permabanned - the mods said he had informations but that didn't mean that he wasn't telling shit.

so from now on i wouldn't expect anything, if it happens, then yeah, it happens

Nex Machina is not a Sony game, Housemarque owns the IP
WIpEout Omega Collection is a collab between XDEV, Clever Beans and EPOS
Parapa the Rapper, Loco Roco and Patapon Remaster are beeing handled internally by Dave Thach's team, also know as ''Special Operations Team'' (they are the ones who handle PS2-PS4 games)

The one missing from the list is StarBlood Arena, beeing developed by WhiteMoon Dreams and SIE San Diego for PSVR

thank you Felipe !

This is worth posting in here, but during the PSX I Love You Panel, Yoshida noted that they're going to be much more cautious about release dates going forward. He pointed out that going from the alpha to the beta stage on the PS4 takes much longer than in previous generations. They'll wait until they're really confident in a date before announcing one from now on.

This is worth posting in here, but during the PSX I Love You Panel, Yoshida noted that they're going to be much more cautious about release dates going forward. He pointed out that going from the alpha to the beta stage on the PS4 takes much longer than in previous generations. They'll wait until they're really confident in a date before announcing one from now on.

He also evaded the question of Horizon's release date. Hmm...

But didn't mark cerny say that time to triangle this gen will be much shorter? Or does it have a different meaning from time to release a game?

But didn't mark cerny say that time to triangle this gen will be much shorter? Or does it have a different meaning from time to release a game?

Time to triangle being shorter means time to get stuff running real-time is faster.

But all the biggest AAA games today are of much higher fidelity, much higher quality animation and bigger in scale and size.

Basically the pace of escalation in what's expected of AAA games in terms of graphics and amount of content are outpacing whatever innovation is done at the technology side to make things be created faster.

You stahp that now. My holiday is already borked with gr 2 n p5 getting delayed. At least there's nioh to look forward to.

Plus john gonzalez and hermen hulst had already reiterate the February release date during the live panel.

Then again that's what druckmann did last year and we all know how that turned out

Yeah, I noticed that. His reaction made me think that while it may not be delayed right now, it's something that they'd allow if Guerrilla needed extra time. If you noticed with Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, all they said is that it'll be out next year. There's no timeframe for it. I'm sure that they have one in mind, but they aren't going to do announce anything like that anymore until they're completely sure that it'll be able to hit that date. I guess we saw the beginning of this at E3 with games like Spider-Man, Days Gone and GoW. No dates whatsoever and no hints from the developers. I don't think we'll see them giving hard dates to games six or so months in advance of their release.

Melchiah

Time to triangle being shorter means time to get stuff running real-time is faster.

But all the biggest AAA games today are of much higher fidelity, much higher quality animation and bigger in scale and size.

Basically the pace of escalation in what's expected of AAA games in terms of graphics and amount of content are outpacing whatever innovation is done at the technology side to make things be created faster.

I imagine open world structure and online modes are also contributing factors.

Zedark

why he would do this ?...

To screw with us. There's a good chance that many of the game's he referenced over the years were made up as well, seeing as he has no problem with making stuff up. I would guess the pending status of multiple games he talked about is one of the reasons for his recent ban as well. He definitely was an insider (he seems to have predicted the uncharted game being set in India for example) but any number of scoops of his could be fake sadly.

CGwizz

At this point sony have the cards on the table, we know any game theirs studios are making, Next E3 the only surprises will be sucker punch time and a new game from Fromsoftware.

Its insane the caliber of the games they are making.

At this point sony have the cards on the table, we know any game theirs studios are making, Next E3 the only surprises will be sucker punch time and a new game from Fromsoftware.

lets hope the risks they took & the investments they made will pay off

Yeah, it's a little worrying that it's been over a year since we've seen anything for it. Is there even any gameplay footage for it available yet?

I don't know the details of what he lied about or why he's been banned, but at this point given it's been, what, well over two years since he first talked about it (?) I think it's best to assume the game is not happening.

Could also be that progress on it is slow, or they don't want to announce too early. I'd wait for e3 before I say it's definitively gone.

That also reminds me, what the hell is going on with deep down. They have 3 months before that trademark is forfeit.

And with Verendus unfortunately gone, are there any real Sony insiders left?

I think their big stuff will work out. All of the big games they're working on are coming from very talented developers (ok maybe not Knack lol).

I'm only a little worried about Bend. Even though I think it has potential to be really fun, the game didn't generate positive buzz overall. I'm not even only referring to GAF, btw. I think people saw zombies and immediately started rolling eyes.

I think they need a killer, extended E3 demo, with hands on time for the press.

You're getting ahead of yourself, there's still room for other surprises. I mean, who would've guessed Insomniac would be developing a Spider-Man game for Sony at this point last year?

I think their big stuff will work out. All of the big games they're working on are coming from very talented developers (ok maybe not Knack lol).

I'm only a little worried about Bend. Even though I think it has potential to be really fun, the game didn't generate positive buzz overall. I'm not even only referring to GAF, btw. I think people saw zombies and immediately started rolling eyes.

I think they need a killer, extended E3 demo, with hands on time for the press.
Yeah, call them what you want, but zombies are zombies. They can behave differently, eat, run in packs etc...but the core gameplay has to be very very different from TLOU, which is what it will inevitably be compared to with such a similar art style.

I'm optimistic though, as it seems less about stealth and linear gameplay. The biker theme also seems to be important with the bike itself being a character. They have to nail the gameplay and story though, competition is stiff within Sony's own walls. (TLOU, Horizon, Days Gone)

I also wonder what team ico and the rest of Sony Japan are doing now that TLG is finished.

Team Ico? Nothing, it's gone. GenDesign? Hopefully they've got another project lined up with Sony because I can't see many other publishers back them and I really want to see what Ueda has up his sleeve next.

Japan Studio should be in full production on Knack 2 and Gravity Rush 2's DLC, with another project being geared to move into full production once GR2's DLC is done.

FelipeMGM

I figure Japan Studio has more than one medium/big project in pre production already.

TLG has shipped, GR2 DLC will ship in March, Knack 2 is slated for 2017 as well. Im sure they already have some stuff cooking up there

On a related topic, not sure what Ueda will tackle now, and if it will be videogames at all since genDesign seems to be a company focused on creative work as a whole, not just vg.

Even though v was a hack
I think he had some insights to some shit being made even though most of the stuff he said was fairly vague enough to peg hole games into

e: what a shit reason i gave lol

Wild arms is probably a reveal next year, perhaps whatever the Tokyo jungle team is working on as well
I still think level 5 is being contracted directly to sie as well

thuway

Have we had any hints on if the Order 2, Bloodborne 2, and Until Dawn 2 are in production? Sony has a good bit of second party relationship AAA money- could we be hearing more at E3?

Have we had any hints on if the Order 2, Bloodborne 2, and Until Dawn 2 are in production? Sony has a good bit of second party relationship AAA money- could we be hearing more at E3?
I remember reading they aren't interested in doing another until dawn but maybe will do something in the same style. Believe their next game is multiplatform

Probably E3. Shinobi say The Order is dead thoigh and Supermassive doesn't want to make exclusives for Sony any more though so cross the last two out.

Icolin

Banned

I forgot who said this exactly, but someone theorized, or maybe even hinted at Climax Studios (known for Silent Hill Origins, Silent Hill Shattered Memories) working on Until Dawn 2; they have worked on a Sony exclusive before, although IIRC it was just a Brain Age clone for the Vita.

Probably E3. Shinobi say The Order is dead thoigh and Supermassive doesn't want to make exclusives for Sony any more though so cross the last two out.

I'm pretty sure that Supermassive never said that they don't want to make exclusives for Sony anymore. They just said that they'll also work on multiplatform games in the future. They've been pretty much a Sony-only studio up to now. Sorta like Insomniac was. But Until Dawn was a success, so we could see something down the line. Although i'm not sure if UD2 necessarily makes sense. At least not a direct sequel or anything.

Knack can continue to exist fine as a mid tier IP in Sonys library.

An Order 2 that doesn't try to become a top tier franchise game is not a game worth investing into and it does feel like Sony doubts it's worth the investment.

Top Bottom