• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

This Killzone thread made me think:

Remember at the beginning of this gen, many of Sony's games were disappointing people? I still think Resogun is phenomenal and one of their best games as its simply pure arcade addiction and their partnership with Housemarque has been terrific (House probably should just get in on Sony and get that full support), but I remember Killzone: Shadow Fall disappointing people, Knack disappointing people (I was disappointed since it started with promise!), Infamous: Second Son was good but many felt it was disappointing (side missions in particular), Driveclub's launch was terrible, and The Order: 1886... well, I'd say it was disappointing, but for me, I kind of expected it not to set the world on fire.

Post Order: 1886 felt like a big turning point, at least as far as their releases more consistently delivering. It seems like a looong time ago when this was an issue (and I guess two years kind of is a long time), but I've been quite impressed with their output overall since Bloodborne. Or even Helldivers.

This Killzone thread made me think:

Remember at the beginning of this gen, many of Sony's games were disappointing people? I still think Resogun is phenomenal and one of their best games as its simply pure arcade addiction and their partnership with Housemarque has been terrific (House probably should just get in on Sony and get that full support), but I remember Killzone: Shadow Fall disappointing people, Knack disappointing people (I was disappointed since it started with promise!), Infamous: Second Son was good but many felt it was disappointing (side missions in particular), Driveclub's launch was terrible, and The Order: 1886... well, I'd say it was disappointing, but for me, I kind of expected it not to set the world on fire.

Post Order: 1886 felt like a big turning point, at least as far as their releases more consistently delivering. It seems like a looong time ago when this was an issue (and I guess two years kind of is a long time), but I've been quite impressed with their output overall since Bloodborne. Or even Helldivers.

It wasnt just Sony. It took a couple of years for developers to adjust to the new generation. There was also some pretty horrific management going on in the AAA scene, people thinking that consoles were dying and not doing the preparation they should have been for the new generation.

sense

I hope it does well because I don't want see Sony close another first party studio and I really like premise of the game. Also if it gets closed I doubt they will replace it. They have not built or purchased a major studio in a while. I think they have trimmed enough fat at this point. Honestly don't think Guerrilla Cambridge should have been closed.
Sony is going to need a studio to work on uncharted once naughty dog is done next year so if days gone bombs ( I don't think it will) then they can work on uncharted for ps5 for the next 4 or 5 years.

It wasnt just Sony. It took a couple of years for developers to adjust to the new generation. There was also some pretty horrific management going on in the AAA scene, people thinking that consoles were dying and not doing the preparation they should have been for the new generation.

I think it may have been the combination of tech demos being releases for launch plus some developers holding back and thinking there was no money in the console space. 2014 did seem like a down year overall even if I had plenty of fun, mostly on the indie scene.

MCD250

I was never too down on Sony's first party/exclusive releases tbh. Granted, I got my PS4 in late February 2014 and didn't play Knack or Killzone, so perhaps it was a matter of those games simply not being there to bring down my overall pereption much, but I remember having tons of fun with Resogun, Outlast (back then it was console exclusive, I believe) and inFAMOUS during that time. Several months later came inFAMOUS: First Light and The Last of Us Remastered and yeah, I was definitely having fun with those too. I got Driveclub at or near release and thought it was incredible even with the launch issues (which as I recall only lasted a few weeks, and which admittedly didn't affect me much personally as I don't play online very often). I also liked The Order a lot despite some quibbles.

So, yeah. I realize there's a lot of subjectivity involved here as well as some caveats, but I would say that I've more or less always felt that the PS4 was a solid to great platform in terms of exclusive releases. I do agree that they didn't get into their usual groove until Bloodborne dropped though. That was probably the moment they went from "publisher that makes solid games" back to their more typically perceived form of "publisher that makes highly memorable/unique/prestige games". And I would say that they've managed to maintain that position so far.

Eh, I didn't buy a PS4 till like September 2014 (the best time to work on your backlog is during a first year drought) but I didn't really get the ridiculous hyperbole over Sony's lineup in those first couple of years. People were talking about Sony as if Naughty Dog, SSM, Polyphony, etc. didn't exist or something, when in reality it was only a matter of time before they started firing on all cylinders. As the saying goes, "form is temporary, class is permanent" and Sony has a lot of class studios.

What do you mean? I don't see "I wish it was more like Zelda" being a problem for those games. Maybe on forums.
I think the games will do well sales wise, I was more focused on the sheer quality of said games. Days Gone looks super bland and uninspired from the get-go, it's been done so many times that hurts me to see a studio making their first big AAA game like this. And we had TLOU recently.

Of course, different games I know, but the comparisons with a lot of other games are bound to happen. Horizon was super smooth and clean gameplay wise, great graphics, spectacular performance, even in the OG PS4.

We have TLOU(and now a sequel), H1Z1, Dying Light, Walking Dead, Dead Rising, Zombi, etc. It's a very saturated theme, they either blow it out of the park with an incredible story and characters or it's gonna be somewhat dull. From a gameplay perspective the game looks kinda meh, mindless shooting. The survival aspect of the game will make it succeed or fail, and it depends on the amount of hand holding that there's going to be.

Think of it for a sec, Days Gone won't have stellar combat like Horizon did because the theme doesn't allow it. Sure, it can be tight and feel good but it's predictable and with less space to wonder.

You see, I look to God Of War and I have zero concerns, it will be amazing. I'm holding my breath to see what SP is doing and just by the idea and concept it will be pretty clear the position where that game will place itself.

Horizon got some slack for still having some Ubisoft trends, Zelda was praised to the heavens for breaking almost all the formulas. Open world games are meant to be different from now on, it's not just R* or Elder Scrolls putting out incredible stuff anymore.

Actually, I think it's exciting to see what's to come in terms of open world games. Look at FFXV, the bar right now is just at another different level.

Sony debuted 6 titles last year not including the VR stuff so I don't see them outdoing themselves this year in that sense but I'd be pretty happy with demos and release date announcements.

Yeah, I agree. In terms of new game announcements, all they need to do is announce Sucker Punch's latest plus one surprise big AAA game.

Detroit, Days Gone, and God of War should get release dates and lengthy demos.

TLOU2 and Death Stranding might get an update.

For the rest, show some indie games and a bit of VR stuff. And third party games like Destiny 2, Read Dead Redemption 2, etc.

That would be a solid show IMO.

We have TLOU(and now a sequel), H1Z1, Dying Light, Walking Dead, Dead Rising, Zombi, etc. It's a very saturated theme, they either blow it out of the park with an incredible story and characters or it's gonna be somewhat dull. From a gameplay perspective the game looks kinda meh, mindless shooting. The survival aspect of the game will make it succeed or fail, and it depends on the amount of hand holding that there's going to be.

I've already posted this several times, but it won't hurt to post it again. That E3 demo wasn't representative of the full gameplay experience in DG

* Weapons crafting system, they call a "MacGuyver Mentality" where the you figure out clever ways to build tools to get out of situations.

* Wildlife is in the game, they have a "huge" wildlife system they aren't going to talk much about right now. But the event didn't wipe out all wildlife.

Featuring fully explorable environments and dynamic AI enemies, players will rely on their own abilities to strategize, craft weapons and tools, explore the world, and engage in combat. With almost every car, building and environment searchable, Days Gone delivers emergent gameplay possibilities, making a player’s approach to combat and discovery a vital part of the experience.

Using the power of PlayStation 4 and Unreal Engine 4, Bend Studio has developed a high volume of rendering and gameplay technology to deliver an incredibly realistic open world experience. Realistic weather effects, such as rain, wind, snow and day-night cycles impact the gameplay. The game’s lighting is all real-time and reacts dynamically, the way the human iris does, as players move from one location to the next.

Yes, this is an open world game. Bend called it a “dynamic open world,” and it’s being built with Unreal Engine 4...Take, for instance, the hordes of freakers seen in the demo...That horde will follow you indefinitely if you keep the right distance between it and yourself. Say you want to take out another human gang’s camp. Have that horde follow you and drag them all the way to your rival’s camp. The horde seeks the bigger target and does your work for you.

“You can go anywhere,” says Pape. “There’ll be waypoint on the map you can set, you can set your own waypoints, you can fast travel for some of the areas because it is such an expansive map”. And, while the demo showed a forrest location Pape says the north west American setting has been chosen specifically for the extreme environments it can provide. “You’ve for the mountains, snow, hail, rain wind, high dessert. City wise you’ll encounter abandoned suburbs, towns, it’s not just going to be in the woods”.

If they nail that then there really isn't anything else out there like it. Yes, there are other zombie/survival games, but none that take it to the extent that Bend is aiming at right now.

Eh, I didn't buy a PS4 till like September 2014 (the best time to work on your backlog is during a first year drought) but I didn't really get the ridiculous hyperbole over Sony's lineup in those first couple of years. People were talking about Sony as if Naughty Dog, SSM, Polyphony, etc. didn't exist or something, when in reality it was only a matter of time before they started firing on all cylinders. As the saying goes, "form is temporary, class is permanent" and Sony has a lot of class studios.
Also, PS1-PS3 all had good/great exclusives. History was on the PS4's side too. It is always just a matter of when with Sony consoles.

Dabi

Detroit, Days Gone, and God of War should get release dates and lengthy demos.

That would be a solid show IMO.

Can't forget about Spidey.

i090rdy.png

Also, don't know if this was covered here but writer for the Lost Legacy let this slip. Expect an Aug / Sept release? Really looking forward to this. Nice change of pace from all these open world "do it your way" games that have been coming out recently.

I hope the Days Gone demo at E3 shows some of the cool elements listed in the post above to shut up some of the "generic, bland, uninspired" claims

I do agree that they should have revealed it better

tbh, I'm more excited for Days Gone than God of War. =p

I wasn't huge on the combat I saw in the demo since I know God of War for fast 60fps crazy combat. But I've gotten more excited about God of War, especially from Kinda Funny and their previews of it, with the semi-open world (like Souls) and things like that. I'm looking forward to seeing more this E3.

Also, PS1-PS3 all had good/great exclusives. History was on the PS4's side too. It is always just a matter of when with Sony consoles.

Eh, I wasn't huge on Sony's PS1 games. I thought PS2 is when they really established that they had a large and quality first party apparatus. Now, that doesn't mean I didn't really dig Twisted Metal 2 or Intelligent Qube or the Crash games or anything like that, but I thought the best games were easily third party games at the time. Third party games really defined that console -- your Final Fantasy games and Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil and Tomb Raider, that stuff -- whereas during the PS2, third parties were still in high abundance, but my GOTY was a Sony game several times, which I can't say for the PS1.

Eh, I wasn't huge on Sony's PS1 games. I thought PS2 is when they really established that they had a large and quality first party apparatus. Now, that doesn't mean I didn't really dig Twisted Metal 2 or Intelligent Qube or the Crash games or anything like that, but I thought the best games were easily third party games at the time. Third party games really defined that console -- your Final Fantasy games and Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil and Tomb Raider, that stuff -- whereas during the PS2, third parties were still in high abundance, but my GOTY was a Sony game several times, which I can't say for the PS1.
I was more talking in general rather than specifically Sony titles. Just exclusivity on the platforms regardless of whether they were 1st or 3rd.

The overall quality wasn't as high as it was in later gens but I could easily argue that Gran Turismo, Crash and Spyro defined the PS1 more than any Sony first party game defined the PS2.

The overall quality wasn't as high as it was in later gens but I could easily argue that Gran Turismo, Crash and Spyro defined the PS1 more than any Sony first party game defined the PS2.

Not so much Spyro imo, but probably GT and Crash based on sales (and in Gran Turismo's case, the N64 lacking a racing sim, particularly one with GT's critical acclaim). Not knocking the quality to any of the three, either; I've just never found that Sony had the brand they did during the upcoming PS2 days when if a game was published by Sony, you figured it's likely be high quality, especially since many of the games they released on the PS1 were games we don't remember since they were duds (for every Crash: Warped, you had several games that were less than mediocre). Whereas during the PS2, it started a time where a game being developed by or partnered with Sony's studios was one I was really excited to play.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I'm hoping Sony goes back to a bit more linear design for their games after Days Gone and the Sucker Punch IP. Need more of those visually breath-taking 10-12 hour adventures.

MCD250

It is sort of curious how Sony seems to be making greater emphasis on larger/more open world design these days, 6-8 years after the open world genre started to hit its stride and become more prevalent almost to the point of ubiquity. Back in those days it felt like Sony's first party games wwre zigging while the rest of the industry was zagging, but the sheer craftsmanship and production values of their offerings were often high enough to net critical and financial success and to cement Sony's position as an influential publisher in their own right.

These days it feels like Sony are zigging instead of zagging once more, focusing on the open world (or quasi-open world) genre while the rest of the industry seek out the online/MP-focused/games-as-a-service model focused on products with long shelf life. Time will tell what results the varied focuses will yield.

The God

I think the games will do well sales wise, I was more focused on the sheer quality of said games. Days Gone looks super bland and uninspired from the get-go, it's been done so many times that hurts me to see a studio making their first big AAA game like this. And we had TLOU recently.

Of course, different games I know, but the comparisons with a lot of other games are bound to happen. Horizon was super smooth and clean gameplay wise, great graphics, spectacular performance, even in the OG PS4.

Think of it for a sec, Days Gone won't have stellar combat like Horizon did because the theme doesn't allow it. Sure, it can be tight and feel good but it's predictable and with less space to wonder.

You see, I look to God Of War and I have zero concerns, it will be amazing. I'm holding my breath to see what SP is doing and just by the idea and concept it will be pretty clear the position where that game will place itself.

Horizon got some slack for still having some Ubisoft trends, Zelda was praised to the heavens for breaking almost all the formulas. Open world games are meant to be different from now on, it's not just R* or Elder Scrolls putting out incredible stuff anymore.

Actually, I think it's exciting to see what's to come in terms of open world games. Look at FFXV, the bar right now is just at another different level.

I didn't like the way Days Gone looked or the way it was revealed, but with time I've kinda come around to it and I think it has a lot of potential.

I think it's way too soon to be comparing DGs combat to other games. If the systems Bend detailed work well then it sounds like there's a lot of room for dynamic and cool encounters. Things like trying to lead a horde to clear a bandit camp and your bike runs out of gas in between.

You're saying open world games have to be different now but I don't see how. Because of Zelda and Horizon? DG being safe doesn't mean it's doomed. It's all about what it'll do best.

FelipeMGM

Since the conversation is around Days Gone, I guess its a good time to post this fact sheet about the game. Not sure if there is any info or nuance that has not been discussed yet, but since the Matterfall one I had did have some interesting info on it, I guess this one should be posted too.

OVERVIEW:
Days Gone is an open-world action game set in the high-desert of the Pacific Northwest two years after a mysterious global pandemic has decimated the world, killing most but transforming millions into mindless, feral creatures. Survivors live in a world where resources are scarce, violence and murder are common and Freakers roam the wilderness.

Players face this violent, new world as Deacon St. John, a bounty hunter, a Drifter who lives in the lawless wilderness outside the civilian encampments. Deacon survives by using skills learned before the world ended, riding for the Mongrels MC, an outlawed motorcycle club, where violence and mayhem were part of the riding the open road.

At the center of it all, Days Gone is an exploration of how any of us would react to these harsh conditions, and exploration of loss, love, friendship, revenge and desperation – learning that surviving isn't living. For Deacon especially, it's a struggle to ensure that
hope never dies.

KEY FEATURES
 Compelling Story – At its core, Days Gone is about loss and hope. You play as Deacon St. John, a Drifter and bounty hunter whose prior life as an outlaw biker helps him survive the brutal world created in the aftermath of a global pandemic. Broken by a deep and personal loss, Deacon fights to survive while struggling to find a reason to live. Hope never dies.
 Open World – Using the power of PlayStation 4 and Unreal Engine 4, Days Gone delivers an incredibly realistic and detailed open world experience. Vast and hostile environments can be fully explored on the back of Deacon's Drifter bike. Ride the open world.
 Brutal Sandbox Combat – Exemplifying true, free-form gameplay, Days Gone offers freedom to explore, strategize and play ”your way" using customizable weapons and skills, as well as brutal melee weapons and traps.

Yep, it's nonsense. GTA set open-world standards super high yet games like Saints Row, Just Cause, and Sleeping Dogs still thrived.

this

and yes KZ hindsight 20/20

i think its sony bend that has to worrie not sucker punch but yes if sucker punch were to underswing it could spell trouble for them

I probably shouldn't be posting this, but in one week from now we might hear something from Seattle. Might just be a commemoration. Might be nothing.

FelipeMGM

I mean, dont know why they would announce anything significant anywhere out of E3 at this point, but sure, lets hope its something cool

Hope it's not a game announcement because obviously it would just be a teaser if anything. Do it like you've been doing since 2015 Sony announcement with a lengthy gameplay trailer/presentation

Thorrgal

Guys just saw a Father's Day God of War poster ad were I live (Barcelona)

"My dad is stronger than yours" it says, featurimg Kratos and his son.

Does this mean is a 2017 release?

Guys just saw a Father's Day God of War poster ad were I live (Barcelona)

"My dad is stronger than yours" it says, featurimg Kratos and his son.

Does this mean is a 2017 release?

brb imagining since no pics lol

But yeah funny to see promo for the game this early, though I don't think it's any indication of a potential release date.

Thorrgal

OléGunner;232036389 said:
brb imagining since no pics lol

But yeah funny to see promo for the game this early, though I don't think it's any indication of a potential release date.

Have a pic but can't post it now lol

I guess I need to host it somewhere bfr linking it?

MCD250

Huh. Interesting.

We have been getting a lot of tidbits that the game is in a fairly advanced state of production (playabe from beginning to end; mocap already finished, or nearly so, etc.). So perhaps a late 2017 release date is not too out of the realm of possibility.

Huh. Interesting.

We have been getting a lot of tidbits that the game is in a fairly advanced state of production (playabe from beginning to end; mocap already finished, or nearly so, etc.). So perhaps a late 2017 release date is not too out of the realm of possibility.
I imagine maybe they're shooting for it but not rushing it? And that's why it'll slip in 2018 maybe? Idk just can't see where they put God at. Why release it this holiday from a businessman standpoint (gamer standpoint says release it now plz!!)

Seems very early to be marketing it, even if it is out later this year. I guess most of us would assume it'll hit no earlier than September, but maybe we're wrong and it will be summer. I can't understand why they'd be marketing a 2018 game already.

I imagine maybe they're shooting for it but not rushing it? And that's why it'll slip in 2018 maybe? Idk just can't see where they put God at. Why release it this holiday from a businessman standpoint (gamer standpoint says release it now plz!!)
I feel the same. They probably want it to release in 2017 but if there is even a slight need for a delay, it'll be delayed to spring 2018.

Seems very early to be marketing it, even if it is out later this year. I guess most of us would assume it'll hit no earlier than September, but maybe we're wrong and it will be summer. I can't understand why they'd be marketing a 2018 game already.
I just think God of War is going to be huge for them. They want to get that promotion ball rolling early.

Zukkoyaki

Even if God of War is ready for 2017 I would sit on it until early 2018. I know it's a big franchise and there's a lot of hype for this new one but the competition this fall is going to be unlike anything we've ever seen.

Destiny 2, Red Dead, Call of Duty, Battlefront 2... Ubisoft will probably have something big like Assassin's Creed or Far Cry 5. It's going to be brutal.

Honestly the only big game Sony should consider dropping this holiday, in my opinion, is Gran Turismo Sport. It's a big franchise that doesn't have as much overlap with those other games' target audiences and there's been a shortage of racing releases all generation. Even then I'd try to get it out by August or September.

With all of that said, God of War is like 98% a 2018 game anyway.

Thinking about it tho maybe it is 2017? Idk I'm skeptical of course but they still have knack 2,gt sport, MLB 17(speaking purely about stuff they'll go out of the way to market I know there's more) some remasters and third party exclusives than add on marketing deals for destiny 2,Rdr2(lol 2018) and battlefront 2 why get the gow train rolling now if it wasn't 2017

Even if God of War is ready for 2017 I would sit on it until early 2018. I know it's a big franchise and there's a lot of hype for this new one but the competition this fall is going to be unlike anything we've ever seen.

Destiny 2, Red Dead, Call of Duty, Battlefront 2... Ubisoft will probably have something big like Assassin's Creed or Far Cry 5. It's going to be brutal.

Honestly the only big game Sony should consider dropping this holiday, in my opinion, is Gran Turismo Sport. It's a big franchise that doesn't have as much overlap with those other games' target audiences and there's been a shortage of racing releases all generation.

I think God of War could land in early September and avoid those third party games for the most part. Anything beyond that, nope. I think GTS can handle launching in that period though.

Honestly the only big game Sony should consider dropping this holiday, in my opinion, is Gran Turismo Sport. It's a big franchise that doesn't have as much overlap with those other games' target audiences and there's been a shortage of racing releases all generation. Even then I'd try to get it out by August or September.

Depends when it's out though. Could GT is an late Aug, early September game and GOW could be a December game.

I think God of War could land in early September and avoid those third party games for the most part. Anything beyond that, nope. I think GTS can handle launching in that period though.

Trouble with that date is that that puts it only a few weeks after Shadow of Wardor, and there's a definite overlap with the two.

Top Bottom