• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

^some people care a lot more about the story than you. I couldn't even finish TR because of how awful the story was. I think TR is pretty overrated.

But yeah, Destiny 2 almost here...

O...

M...

G...

Skeeter49

Idk where this tgs slander came from. Last year was legit the only terrible year. Ppl were having a ball in the 2015 thread

The one issue is what made 2015 great was partly Sony First Party games shown, we got a lot of reveals, and as much hate as they get, Knack 2 and GR2 DLC could have benefited TGS 2016. But maybe Sony saw the content was lacking and decided to throw all their eggs in one basket.

It was also the pacing, which i feel was unlike most TGS's. It kept going at a good pace, and for the most part focused on Japanese games, and when a western game was shown, it was paced well within the conference.

Having one of those things can make it a fine conference, but I can't see us getting both of those things again, great pacing with great content, especially with PSX, unless the third party content is really superb, or Sony has something really low key that they don't feel needs to be at PSX and can have that TGS showing. I do think we should have a good third party showing, Capcom, KT, Square, and Sega seem like they don't have much revealed right now, so TGS should fix that.

I hope we see an external Sony Japan game though. A lot of their work of late has been in house, and historically Sony Japan has been big with their external partnership.

I couldn't finish ROTTR. I've played through Uncharted 4 three or four times now, though. Story is better, yes, but I put the gameplay, both run-and-gun and cover shooting, far above ROTTR.

sense

While I wouldn't say the gameplay of one is better than the other(probably on par), the story, characters and presentation are what make me play uncharted. Got bored of tomb raider reboot 20 minutes in and never got back. Might give rise of the tomb raider a shot sometime later but I doubt I will like it.

While I wouldn't say the gameplay of one is better than the other(probably on par), the story, characters and presentation are what make me play uncharted. Got bored of tomb raider reboot 20 minutes in and never got back. Might give rise of the tomb raider a shot sometime later but I doubt I will like it.

I think Uncharted legitimately has better run-and-gun gameplay, to which ROTTR was more limiting, and Uncharted benefited from its more linear structure, while ROTTR suffered in its open areas with poorly done side quests. The ability to jump off a ledge and punch someone down, being out of ammo, clobbering someone and taking their gun instantly, the rope mechanic mixed in with that, are all vastly superior.

There's definitely a divergence in terms of focus in other areas -- ROTTR spent more time with tombs while Uncharted did more in terms of set pieces. There, it may be a matter of what you prefer, but I think the puzzle aspect of the tombs wasn't as great as the exhilaration aspect of UC4's set pieces.

The arenas in Uncharted were master class in terms of design, something I didn't see replicated in ROTTR. It's hard to say it's a *bad* game, but I certainly was disappointed in how repetitive it started to feel considering it's not a very long game. Pity because I did enjoy the first one.

It does but the verticality gets wasted more times than not thanks to your AI teammates ruining it for me by being constantly detected and doing what I don't want them to do.

I enjoyed all the encounters in ROTTR and to be perfectly honest, I prefer ROTTR over Uncharted 4 in almost every way. To me, it's simply the better overall game and was a lot more fun to play. The open areas had meaning and purpose where as in U4, it's just open ended for the sake of being open ended which to me is a negative as opposed to being a positive. The only area that U4 is better in is story, characters and script but at the same time, it was the fourth game in the franchise with all the characters established and two new characters in Sam and Nadine were completely unnecessary, not needed and if they were never in the game to begin with, it wouldn't even make a difference. Outside of Lara herself, the characters and story are the weak spot in ROTTR but everything else is excellent, more enjoyable and fun to play that it doesn't have as big of an impact as the negatives in U4 does to me.

The opening boat sequence was okay, the jeep/tank and bike/tank sequences were good but the truck with the crane was by far the best sequence in U4 and while I do prefer that over the cargo plane in U3, it all comes up short compared to the train and building in U2. I also believe that U3 is the better overall game when compared to U4.

U4 is a great 8-8.5/10 game, no doubt but 9/10 is debatable and anything higher, no way. At least not to me anyway especially when the previous two games in the series were better overall.

To each their own though bud.

This is mostly how I feel too.

I'd give Uncharted 4 an 8.7 and Rise of the Tomb Raider a 9.2.

For me:

Uncharted 2: 9.5
Rise of the Tomb Raider: 9.2
Tomb Raider 2013: 9.1
Uncharted 3: 9.0
Uncharted 4: 8.7
Uncharted: 8.5

Shin-Ra

Looks like some press got (p)review copies of The Lost Legacy and with Amazon UK out of Crash Bandicoot stock again (overpriced third party sellers only) Uncharted's been topping the hourly overall games charts consistently.

Probably a teaser trailer for Project Re: Fantasy at TGS with an official title reveal. A gameplay trailer early next year (feb) like Persona 5.

Project-Re-Fantasy-Job-Listing_07-05-17.jpg

Yeah I agree, whenever this gets shown it'll probably first happen at a TGS, either this year or next year.

Since everyone's talking about possible TGS and PSX stuff, I really hope Square Enix announce something significant for Final Fantasy's 30th Anniversary at one of them. That ridiculous rumour at the start of the year and the non-event in February got me excited and yet we haven't heard a single thing since. Shit's disappointing. At least give me FFVIII and FFIX on PS4 already.

Lady Gaia

Btw who has picked up hellblade? Seems to be getting good reviews.

I had to wrap up Pyre before diving in properly, but I’ve played a few hours and so far it’s intriguing. Neither the combat system nor the puzzles are really special, but the writing is decent!, voice acting binaural audio capture are superb, and the atmosphere is also stellar.

If I had to recommend one or the other, though? Pyre offers more variety and challenge in its polished gameplay. Better bang for the buck overall so long as you don’t mind lots of reading, compared to my limited experience with Hellblade which is a little shallow if visually arresting.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Btw who has picked up hellblade? Seems to be getting good reviews.

I bought it at launch and played a good amount but won't get back to it until next weekend. From what I played, I love the combat and the visuals. Music is okay but not much. Sound is good. Voice acting is good but the multiple voices overlapping is bad at times. Story and characters are good thus far. Hate the puzzles though.

DKHF

Probably a teaser trailer for Project Re: Fantasy at TGS with an official title reveal. A gameplay trailer early next year (feb) like Persona 5.

Project-Re-Fantasy-Job-Listing_07-05-17.jpg

Maybe Fromsofts Armored Core at Gamescom then gameplay at TGS? The next ARPG being a possible exlusive could be revealed at TGS. If not, PSX.
I don't think we will see Project Re Fantasy soon (this TGS or early next year) as it's still too early, I think it was announced last year for the sake of recruitment and they said it was in the earliest stages of development, so very far away. The next time we see it is probably TGS 2018 at the earliest.

FelipeMGM

Gotta say, this came out of nowhere to me, dont even know what to expect in terms of new announcements.

My best guess European games focused, so Dreams, WiLD, The Impatient, Bravo Team, PlayLink Games, HZD: Frozen Wilds, Detroit, Sony London new PSVR game and maybe some unnanounced XDev projects.

I don't think we will see Project Re Fantasy soon (this TGS or early next year) as it's still too early, I think it was announced last year for the sake of recruitment and they said it was in the earliest stages of development, so very far away. The next time we see it is probably TGS 2018 at the earliest.

will have to Keep an eye on that one- any clues to Gameplay ?

Gotta say, this came out of nowhere to me, dont even know what to expect in terms of new announcements.

My best guess European games focused, so Dreams, WiLD, The Impatient, Bravo Team, PlayLink Games, HZD: Frozen Wilds, Detroit, Sony London new game and maybe some unnanounced XDev projects.

Helldivers 2 please!

Also holy shit are we due solid info on Dreams and Wild.

Shin-Ra

My best guess European games focused, so Dreams, WiLD, The Impatient, Bravo Team, PlayLink Games, HZD: Frozen Wilds, Detroit, Sony London new PSVR game and maybe some unnanounced XDev projects.
INpatient.

(Before this takes off, like GamesCON.)

pswii60

What is this Dreams slander I'm reading!? DREAMS IS ALIVE!

DG8AnOGVwAEhd3C.jpg

People have been shitting on Dreams for a while now, we've had endless posts saying MediaMolecule should be shut down etc. All because the game has been subject to a number of delays. But it's an ambitious project, and they have said it will be revealed again later this year.

In reality, it either has been indeed in development hell, or Sony realised they had such a good thing on their hands that they gave the project more time. We'll probably find out later this year which it is.

F4r0_Atak

I've been wondering... what if Sucker Punch new game was not a new IP? What if it was a reboot of an old franchise? Which SIE IP has melee combat as part of its core gameplay?

EDIT: With Sly Cooper 15th anniversary coming up, is there a possibility Sony could be prepping a reboot ala Ratchet and Clank (2016)?

Eggbok

People have been shitting on Dreams for a while now, we've had endless posts saying MediaMolecule should be shut down etc. All because the game has been subject to a number of delays. But it's an ambitious project, and they have said it will be revealed again later this year.

In reality, it either has been indeed in development hell, or Sony realised they had such a good thing on their hands that they gave the project more time. We'll probably find out later this year which it is.

Personally I say give them all the time they need. A game like Dreams needs to exist. We have enough open-world, hero shooter, fps, loot-crate microtransaction filled, hd remaster/remake, ported games. Games like Dreams come around once in a blue moon and they don't always have a team as incredible as Mm making them. I don't understand why people are bothered by what Mm is doing, if you aren't interested don't worry about it then.

Top Bottom