• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PlayStation Has Canceled its Attendance at PAX East Citing Coronavirus Concerns | Update: Boston Mayor Asks Sony To Reconsider

The new management is like a cancer to PlayStation. Jim Ryan is fucking trash! Trash! Trash! Trash! Trash! Trash! He’s fucking garbage!

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
SDCC isn't until July. This will have probably passed by then.

0oTdkYa.png

Its hard to tell whats going to happen now that cambodia let all those people of the ship and let them freely go where ever.

Didn’t know coronavirus was a big killer in Boston.
The american government did not have a proper and systematic testing procedure in place until yesterday (and this is only in 5 major cities).

Do what you will of this information, but it's clear that this thing was not contained to 15 people given how easily it seems to spread.

J-Rod

The treatment report we know is not bullshit because it was a case in Washington state involving a healthy 35 year old was released, and it sounds worse than the flu. It sounds like a very nasty disease with days of vomiting, low oxygen saturation, and severe pneumonia.

Even though it may only kill the very old, very young, or immunocompromised and I would probably survive, that is no reason to be flippant about it. I love and value members of my old and young family and would rather they not die because it wasn’t taken seriously.

But even if it stays mainly isolated to China and doesn’t become a public health problem locally, it’s only a matter of time before it starts to seriously effect supply chains downstream if it doesn’t get better. That part we have seen signs of, but hasn’t gotten bad enough to disrupt the life of the average person, yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG
You guys dont have to listen to me, everyone has their own view on this subject matter.
This is fine, you laid down the truth right there.
Well it's an anectodal evidence obviously, like it's from myself. We have bird flu in here, which I find to be a bigger threat to me. Well actually it's pretty big threat to me, since I am within 1 year post-transplant and shit like this needs to be handle with utmost caution. But nobody in hospital suggested, that Coronavirus is what I need to worry about.
Hey I'm transplanted too (3rd year)... this thing really worries me, because people are very contagious for over 14 days before they get any symptoms, then if it starts you need pretty intense care for about 1 week. If the health care system is not overloaded with too many patients you have about 15% chances to get out of it alive (old people and sick people like are the ones that die).

I don't even think this is possible to contain it, maybe it's possible to slow it down, or if you live in a rural area, you can make yourself safe by avoiding direct contact with people in closed areas and having good hygiene.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Something isnt right internally at Sony. Just a gut feeling.

It has been roughly 2 years of Playstation pulling the plug on everything, not showing up at events cause they feel they are successful enough Playstation can continue in autopilot.

You can understand how E3 was just an excuse because:

- Where's PSX?
- Where's the Paris Games Week conference?
- Where's the TGS conference?

Now it's Coronavirus, which yes it's a big deal but does it mean you won't show up again the whole year because of it?

For me that strategy worked for a year / year and a half, now you can notice how PS4 is selling much less than PS3 and PS2 at the end of the lifecycle, and lack of communication going into a new gen could lead to a troubled start for PS5.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sussoloc

For me that strategy worked for a year / year and a half, now you can notice how PS4 is selling much less than PS3 and PS2 at the end of the lifecycle, and lack of communication going into a new gen could lead to a troubled start for PS5.
I don't think so. remember the PS5 logo? Fanboys went nuts just for a stupid logo, immediately after it's reveal it was the most liked gaming Instagram post in history.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think so. remember the PS5 logo? Fanboys went nuts just for a stupid logo, immediately after it's reveal it was the most liked gaming Instagram post in history.

The hype is certainly still there, but at a certain point if you keep stay silent people will eventually lose interest. That's sort of what happened with PS3, among other reasons.

Now it's also worth considering that for me Playstation is competing with itself: they are going to sell more units than Xbox even with the worst launch ever because Microsoft doesn't really care to win the next gen: they've already said all new games will be available on PC and Game Pass and you can play all the first party titles of the next 2 years on Xbox One.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sussoloc

The hype is certainly still there, but at a certain point if you keep stay silent people will eventually lose interest. That's sort of what happened with PS3, among other reasons.

Now it's also worth considering that for me Playstation is competing with itself: they are going to sell more units than Xbox even with the worst launch ever because Microsoft doesn't really care to win the next gen: they've already said all new games will be available on PC and Game Pass and you can play all the first party titles of the next 2 years on Xbox One.
Of course Sony will sell more consoles than MS even if they say "Hey guys, no more 3rd person action andventures and by the way we hate you all". I also think there could be an internal discussion about Pc releases and some serious Game Pass competition and so on. But Sony has so many fans and fanboys, even if they stay quiet till August, the internet will celebrate Sony more than Kansas City the Chiefs.

OuterLimits

I can understand the decision, even if it's being slightly overcautious. I mean major sporting events, large crowds at political campaigns and many other things with huge groups of people are still occurring. Not sure the risk from this would be an higher than other things with large groups of people. I respect the decision Sony made though.

Imagine the chaos if the Corona virus had a mortality rate of the Spanish flu? In 1918 millions died from the pandemic and the mortality rate is estimated to have been 15% to 20%. Plus young healthy people had the highest death rate since it caused the immune system to go haywire.

Granted, we don't know how really serious this virus is since China is shady as fuck and the numbers are probably severely underreported. It does seem most cases outside China though have a rather low mortality rate so far? Not sure though.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
This is fine, you laid down the truth right there.

Hey I'm transplanted too (3rd year)... this thing really worries me, because people are very contagious for over 14 days before they get any symptoms, then if it starts you need pretty intense care for about 1 week. If the health care system is not overloaded with too many patients you have about 15% chances to get out of it alive (old people and sick people like are the ones that die).

I don't even think this is possible to contain it, maybe it's possible to slow it down, or if you live in a rural area, you can make yourself safe by avoiding direct contact with people in closed areas and having good hygiene.
Yeah well, I am still very much in isolation. Hope it works out, what kind of transplantation you underwent?

bigol

This was a good decision, but i can't help to feel there is something wrong going behind the scenes. I mean, you have to be blind to not be concerned with how many events they have cancelled lately and how little infos we have had about their next gen plans.

I get that people are still somehow calm because they know there still are some games like TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima coming from Sony, but after those will release they really have to show something exciting.

The first Ps5 console exclusive we have seen is Godfall and i honestly think it's absolutely underwhelming, both on graphics and gameplay side.

Good decision for those that didn't pay to go, otherwise you'd be singing a different tune, guaranteed! Fact is Sony made a commitment to go and now they're weaseling out last minute with a cheap excuse that most likely have to due with them not being ready or prepared. Corona Virus is such a minor threat in Boston, that it's obvious they used it as an excuse to get out of a scheduled commitment. Obviously Pax East is still open, and tickets are non-refundable, so that means everyone who made the commitment of going is still going despite this corona virus fear-mongering, but now they'll remain disappointed they don't get to see or play what they paid for!

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
Gaming conventions, I’m guessing, are more ‘hazardous’ because of the controllers and the proximity of all the convention-goers.

Even when I’m at my sister’s house I’m reluctant to pick up my nephew’s controller cause I know how many teenagers have handled it. What else have they been handling. LOL.

Then all sporting events & shopping centres should be closed as well (with shopping carts in particular being totally lethal in Boston, according to the theory whereby a gaming convention's game controllers are super-duper dangerous in North Eastern USA).

Come on guys, don't fall for the "better safe than sorry" excuse here, i.e. considering the sheer volume of business, travel & movement of peoples all over that part of the world (international flights in & out as well), Sony's decision to GTFO of Boston over the "coronavirus" pushes the suspension of disbelief a little too far into the LOL territory.

Imagine sitting in a room in front of a computer screen fearing a global zombie apocalypse pandemic caused by a gaming convention whilst millions upon millions of Americans in that part of the country just carry on working, traveling & living without a fuss.

bitbydeath

So far this flu season, about 0.05% of people who caught the flu have died from the virus in the U.S., according to CDC data.

The death rate for COVID-19 appears to be higher than that of the flu.

In the study published Feb. 18 in the China CDC Weekly, researchers found a death rate from COVID-19 to be around 2.3% in mainland China.

Last edited:

scalman

so whats gonna happen now ? they wont show anywhere , so its like ... they should make their own conference do it like online only no real stage and show us damn ps5 and last of us 2 demo. at least. ok no go to real game shows but then make something at least trailers . they can do that no ?

so whats gonna happen now ? they wont show anywhere , so its like ... they should make their own conference do it like online only no real stage and show us damn ps5 and last of us 2 demo. at least. ok no go to real game shows but then make something at least trailers . they can do that no ?
Maybe they are partnering with Geoff for a special showing.

Is FFVIIR still happening? This is my first Pax and TBH FFVIIR is the only reason I'm going. Not sure if FFVIIR is part of Sony, or SquareEnix is doing their own thing?
Square was going to attent another gamingevent with the FFVIIr demo's and they canceled that event yesterday. 😉

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
wow, a lot of cry babies complaining about a company canceling an event due to the risk of getting sick and dying. You have the right priorities on your mind, please feel proud of yourself.

Look at these other bastards on the PAX East schedule, i.e. all putting literal lives at risk because unlike Sony they haven't cancelled: https://east.paxsite.com/schedule Let's hope they're "proud of themselves" for risking a pandemic just for games! "Wow just wow I can't even".

Just think of all the inconsiderate bastards travelling from Japan/Asia to the USA as I type as well for xyz reasons (business, vacation etc.), also all putting literal lives at risk. How about the selfish uncaring airline companies & government who haven't cancelled flights between Asia & the USA? Bastards!

How can Sony save the world when they're surrounded by such nasty people who wilfully risk the spread of the coronavirus?

That's how your virtue signalling post can be interpreted.

Shmunter

Personally I don’t think there’s going to be any big Live shows with mass gatherings till all this blows over. No company wants to be associated with an event that results in bat Soup fever spreading. If it did happen the bad PR is not worth it., as unlikely as it may be. But outrage culture has made everyone tiptoe around any potential controversy.

Last edited:
Look at these other bastards on the PAX East schedule, i.e. all putting literal lives at risk because unlike Sony they haven't cancelled: https://east.paxsite.com/schedule Let's hope they're "proud of themselves" for risking a pandemic just for games! "Wow just wow I can't even".

Just think of all the inconsiderate bastards travelling from Japan/Asia to the USA as I type as well for xyz reasons (business, vacation etc.), also all putting literal lives at risk. How about the selfish uncaring airline companies & government who haven't cancelled flights between Asia & the USA? Bastards!

How can Sony save the world when they're surrounded by such nasty people who wilfully risk the spread of the coronavirus?

That's how your virtue signalling post can be interpreted.

Look, that is how you interpreted my post. No company is perfect, but I do agree that if there is a risk, is better to avoid it. I complain about the people who whine about Sony canceling their presence at the event. Let's not forget those people traveling to those events have a family too.

Like it or not, each company has its priorities. I work for a big company, and they had to cancel an event they had planned due to the coronavirus. If they believe their people are more important, they do what is best for their employees, partners, and customers, but I never attacked those who want/plan to go, you did.

Do you think those people traveling are not worried to go there with a risk let it be small or big, of getting infected too? Most people traveling are thinking about the risk, and being careful about getting infected. I for one, should not be happy to travel, I have a family, and I am currently the only financial support they have. If I get sick and die who will take care of them? The company? The people who complained?

Finally, I never attacked you, if I hurt your feelings, sorry.

ruvikx

Banned
Look, that is how you interpreted my post. No company is perfect, but I do agree that if there is a risk, is better to avoid it. I complain about the people who whine about Sony canceling their presence at the event. Let's not forget those people traveling to those events have a family too.

Like it or not, each company has its priorities. I work for a big company, and they had to cancel an event they had planned due to the coronavirus. If they believe their people are more important, they do what is best for their employees, partners, and customers, but I never attacked those who want/plan to go, you did.

Do you think those people traveling are not worried to go there with a risk let it be small or big, of getting infected too? Most people traveling are thinking about the risk, and being careful about getting infected. I for one, should not be happy to travel, I have a family, and I am currently the only financial support they have. If I get sick and die who will take care of them? The company? The people who complained?

Finally, I never attacked you, if I hurt your feelings, sorry.

I didn't feel attacked, at all. I only noted the fact you assigned a negative label with a "one size fits all" insult directed at people who criticize Sony's coronavirus excuse by calling them "crybabies who don't prioritize saving lives".

Has PAX been cancelled entirely? No. Are other companies attending all disdainful bastards who don't care about putting lives at risk? No. Is air travel banned between Japan, China & the USA banned? No. Are public markets (chopping centres, sporting events etc.) banned or quarantined in America & Boston in particular? No.

Is there far more risk of getting killed in a car crash or getting murdered by a knife wielding nutjob in America & Europe than getting killed by the coronavirus? Hell yes. Step outside, look at the real world: the coronavirus isn't the apocalypse. Here's a live Boston webcam:

Lots of traffic, nice weather, everything seems normal. You're not going to risk death if you attend PAX.

CyberPanda

Banned
I didn't feel attacked, at all. I only noted the fact you assigned a negative label with a "one size fits all" insult directed at people who criticize Sony's coronavirus excuse by calling them "crybabies who don't prioritize saving lives".

Has PAX been cancelled entirely? No. Are other companies attending all disdainful bastards who don't care about putting lives at risk? No. Is air travel banned between Japan, China & the USA banned? No. Are public markets (chopping centres, sporting events etc.) banned or quarantined in America & Boston in particular? No.

Is there far more risk of getting killed in a car crash or getting murdered by a knife wielding nutjob in America & Europe than getting killed by the coronavirus? Hell yes. Step outside, look at the real world: the coronavirus isn't the apocalypse. Here's a live Boston webcam:

Lots of traffic, nice weather, everything seems normal. You're not going to risk death if you attend PAX.

Stop owning so much.

GeorgPrime

Banned
I guess maybe it plays into Sony`s plans. Maybe they didnt attend PAX and GDC anyway like E3. The "Corona Virus" is a fine excuse to not attend it without telling the truth. ;)

Please, stop placing words I never said "by calling them "crybabies who don't prioritize saving lives", "Look at these other bastards on the PAX East schedule", "Just think of all the inconsiderate bastards traveling from Japan/Asia ", those are your words, not mine.

All I said, was for the people complaining about Sony canceling the event on this thread, as it was the end of the world and jumping to conclusions. I never attacked other companies, people traveling, going to the event, and such as you did.

By the way nice cam video.

Not trying to start a fanboy war or be insensitive but this excuse sounds made up the entire playstation and sony branch is in the US and has been in the US since 2016. 2nd Also last time I checked the majority of the people who work at sony are American unless sony fired all of them and there nothing but Chinese people working there. 3rd Countries that have high reports of carrying the C-virus are banned from public transportation and traveling so these people cant even step a foot on a US airport or plane without a background check. Plus if the corono virus was a big deal why are sony employees still showing up for work wouldn't the entire PS staff be home or at a near by hospital getting cured?
Your also telling me that you couldn't do another state of play or 1 be being with to show this stuff off this virus has been known about for a little over a month now. I think that the gaming industry has pretty much backed themselves into a corner with either over promising and under delivering or just straight under delivering we dont get this many game delays and events getting canned without something bigger going on behind the scenes.

Frankly I dont care if Next gen console get delayed or anything like that I just think this excuse is pretty low brow. I mean we still have people going to work,school,shopping, We still have political rallies and sporting events where people are showing up by the tens to 100 thousands and none of those things are canceled. I also dont take china's word for anything we still cant send 1st world doctors over there to monitor or get a scope of whats happening the only thing they keep asking for is aid and money.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
My company shut down travel to a lot of countries last week, including almost every country in Asia, indefinitely. It's nothing new. Precautions like this are taken by many companies whenever there's an outbreak of this size and scope.

There's at least a very decent chance they're not concerned about the coronavirus and are using it as an excuse.

That is a possibility. I work in a big company which had to cancel one of their biggest events due to the virus. This is why I believe Sony did it due to the same situation. I also expect more companies to place on hold or cancel more events during the year if things get worse.

Top Bottom