• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony portable console

yurqqa

Sony is losing the Japanese market to Nintendo and this generation it’s really a big difference.
What do you think - apart from business perspective is there a kind of “honor” (I understand it sounds silly for corporation, but it’s Japan we are talking about) to take back that market with new portable console ?

Maybe they could produce standalone VR helmet a-la Oculus Quest ( who said Virtual Boy - go away) that could also act as PSVR2 ?
I currently play Alyx on my OQ2 wirelessly and it’s already working quite good.

Even crazier idea - high resolution handheld that could be used also to stream normal games from PS5 and act as a display for VR helmet (like smartphones did).

But to get back to my original premise - I bet VR is not very popular in Japan with their tiny flats and personally I’d prefer normal handheld.

What do you think - can Sony win back Japan with new portable and will it ?
Or they will just turn to US-focused corporation for good ?

Cornbread78

The problem is there is no way Sony can compete with Nintendo when comes to portable market, we saw that with PSVita against 3DS and even PSP against DS.

Yup.

It feels like Sony really has "turned it's back" on the Japanese market...

I mean, they even lost a Disgaea port for PS5, lol. Is there a single Japanese PS5 game in developement right now past FFXVI, Agatha and that Capcom game?

Can't name many huh? Good job Sony.....

Thankfully, I bought a SerX because once MS buys (merges, I know) SEGA they wi control Atlus as well..

NIS/Idea Factory/Falcom? Anyone? PS5? 4k, next gen?

crozier

The main problem with the Vita is that they tried to make it a portable PS3/4 rather than playing to the handheld’s strengths. That and the “big budget” titles like Uncharted turned out to be a poor imitation. 3DS gives you a different experience than the console, which I believe is what gamer’s want for the most part.

That said, direct ports of console games have done well on 3DS...like Xenoblade.

FStubbs

Yup.

I mean, they even lost a Disgaea port for PS5, lol. Is there a single Japanese PS5 game in developement right now past FFXVI, Agatha and that Capcom game?

Thankfully, I bought a SerX because once MS buys (merges, I know) SEGA they wi control Atlus as well..

Falcom is pretty much exclusively developing on Playstation at this point. Any ports are outsourced.

T8SC

but-why.gif

We already have perfection with the Vita.

Aenima

Yup.

Atelyer Rysa 2 is coming out this month for PS5 as well. Seems like you enjoy japanese games, and you bought the only console that strugles to have any japanese games. Good job.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Valkyria

Banned
LOL Why invest in a dedicated portable console when smart phones reign supreme and an IP you own is making so much money it outdoes every exclusive game released this gen by your 1st party combined?
Don’t come here with facts and real data. Portable consoles are becoming niche, and the Japanese market is dominated by mobile gaming. If anything why is not Sony investing more on it.

Unknown?

Yup.

Is this a joke post? You almost got me. Haha

Blond

Banned
Yup.

Disgaea over 30 years and over 2 dozen games sold total what most exclusive games do in a weekend lol. Japans interest has shifted and would be better suited to mobile like switch and iOS/android/Apple TV where you can be much more free in ideas and execution.

I love Shin Megami Tensei and hate that it’s regulated to handheld’s compared to Persona then I take a look at the sales numbers and it all makes sense. Regardless of what we think games don’t grow on trees and it’s a sink or swim industry, always has been, just with the internet and social media it’s way more in your face than monthly magazines, just my two cents.

Aenima

Im glad Sony dumped the portable consoles. I hated to see Sony 1st party studios or even 3rd party developing games for the portable that would not come to the main console. Nintendo did the right thing by doing a hybrid console, at least they dont split they games into portable ones or home console ones, all they focus go to 1 console, and thats what i want to see Sony doing too. Sony already has PS VR that already get some of the focus, but hopefully more devs will just make VR versions or VR modes from games that come out on the main consoles and not go full exclusive.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
The problem is there is no way Sony can compete with Nintendo when comes to portable market, we saw that with PSVita against 3DS and even PSP against DS.
Hmm I wouldn’t say that I mean if Sony put enough effort the PSP could very well be a competitor to what Nintendo needs and that’s healthy.

Iced Arcade

All a Playstation portable would have to do is play all PS4 games, and come with the PS Plus collection that PS5 gets. It could be all digital with a 1080p screen. At under $300, it would sell like hotcakes.
People think it's great but handheld/mobile gaming appetite is different than console.

- No one wants to sit there playing big AAA games on a tiny ass screen when they could play it on the TV.

- you are not getting PS4 graphics on a handheld.

- IF you could get those graphics and convince people that they wanted to play big games on a small screen... They would still be tethered to the nearest plug because the battery life would last 20 minutes. (So why not just play on the TV)

Sony came out with the PSP and Vita that were vastly more powerful and large games and the DS with its small, short burst games spanked the senseless shit out of them.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Hmm I wouldn’t say that I mean if Sony put enough effort the PSP could very well be a competitor to what Nintendo needs and that’s healthy.
Thats the key part, but the problem is that Sony gives up too easily.

bender

What time is it?
Step 1: Make a new portable
Step 2: Buy Capcom
Step 3: Make Monster Hunter exclusive for said portable

That's the only way Sony could compete. As long as they are having console success, I don't see them re-entering the portable market.

Danjin44

Step 1: Make a new portable
Step 2: Buy Capcom
Step 3: Make Monster Hunter exclusive for said portable

That's the only way Sony could compete. As long as they are having console success, I don't see them re-entering the portable market.
Nintendo didn’t need to buy Capcom to get exclusive MH games on their system.

Animagic

Banned
Sony is losing the Japanese market to Nintendo and this generation it’s really a big difference.
What do you think - apart from business perspective is there a kind of “honor” (I understand it sounds silly for corporation, but it’s Japan we are talking about) to take back that market with new portable console ?

Maybe they could produce standalone VR helmet a-la Oculus Quest ( who said Virtual Boy - go away) that could also act as PSVR2 ?
I currently play Alyx on my OQ2 wirelessly and it’s already working quite good.

Even crazier idea - high resolution handheld that could be used also to stream normal games from PS5 and act as a display for VR helmet (like smartphones did).

But to get back to my original premise - I bet VR is not very popular in Japan with their tiny flats and personally I’d prefer normal handheld.

What do you think - can Sony win back Japan with new portable and will it ?
Or they will just turn to US-focused corporation for good ?
I would 100% buy a PlayStation that’s a hybrid like the switch. I love being able to take my games anywhere with me.

Stuart360

Outside of Nintendo, i dont think Sony will really do a portable console in this day and age, there is no need to when you have games capable of being streamed to your phones and tablets etc. In fact thats the reason imo that Microsoft never did a portable console, because they envisioned a future where games will just be streamed to your mobile devices.

Danjin44

I wonder why...
mostly because Japanese gamers like to play their MH on portable system. Whats surprising is according to wiki Rise was being co-developed alongside World, so Capcom always had plan to make MH for Switch.

Last edited:

Danjin44

PSP sold over 80 million consoles. That was a success regardless of how many the DS sold.
Yes it was successes but it couldn't beat DS and they tried with PSVita again with even more powerful tech but still couldn't beat Nintendo's 3DS.

Hezekiah

Banned
All a Playstation portable would have to do is play all PS4 games, and come with the PS Plus collection that PS5 gets. It could be all digital with a 1080p screen. At under $300, it would sell like hotcakes.
Would love to see a portable with proper specs, just not sure they'll do it at this moment in time.

Yes it was successes but it couldn't beat DS and they tried with PSVita again with even more powerful tech but still couldn't beat Nintendo's 3DS.
It's not a sporting event. You don't have to outsell Nintendo's handheld.

If all that mattered was first place, Microsoft would leave the industry as they've never outsold PlayStation and likely never will.

Sony made the choice to put all their focus on the home console market and that probably makes the most sense for them. I definitely will miss their handhelds though.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
mostly because Japanese gamers like to play their MH on portable system. Whats surprising is according to wiki Rise was being co-developed alongside World, so Capcom always had plan to make MH for Switch.

Userbase is the correct answer which something Sony failed to garner with the Vita.

Nintendo has the right idea: create one system that serves as both a handheld and a home console, so as to consolidate development resources. If Sony wants to compete, they're going to have to adopt that strategy as well. Obviously Sony isn't going to be able to miniaturize a PS5, so it comes down to whether it's possible to create a portable system that can play PS4 games. I'm not sure that's possible, since Nintendo built the Switch from the ground up to be a portable system and Sony didn't build the PS4 with power efficiency in mind.

A PS4 Vita with an HD out would be amazing and would probably sell rather well, but that doesn't matter if it's just not possible to miniaturize the hardware yet. And any portable that Sony tries to release without PS4 "backwards" compatibility is dead in the water.

If something like that is possible, though, you would likely see western and AAA games be developed for PC/PS5/XSX and Japanese and AA/indie games developed for Switch/PS4. Without a portable offering I think a lot of those games are just going to go full Switch.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Vita is a great handheld. I fire it up a few times a month. Sony just abandoned it, though. Focused more on cinematic living room experiences. It is sad.

Considering the size of the video game market in Japan and how popular Switch is there I'm really surprised they dropped their portable platform. They did make a few mistakes with it, namely the proprietary memory cards and selective PS1 BC offerings (even though it could run pretty much all of the PS1 games Sony had available for download). But those were problems that could be fixed in the next model. Maybe they just couldn't compete.

Agent X

I made a similar prediction a while ago. I think Sony's next VR headset will be a standalone unit, but can also communicate wirelessly with PS5 to play large-scale games that require greater processing capabilities than you could achieve on a portable VR unit. It will also be possible to detach the "screen" from the headset to use it as a traditional portable video game (without VR).

It would essentially be a "reverse Switch"...you wouldn't dock the "portable" to the TV, but rather to the VR headset.

Top Bottom