• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony portable console

kyliethicc

Sony can only make a new PSP if they can build a roughly PSP/Vita sized handheld system that can run most PS4 games. It would also be digital only and need to have decent battery life, plenty of storage, and a more premium build than Nintendo. But it can't cost more than $300.

I can't see Sony ever creating another handheld that had to have its own category of games, like PSP and Vita did. Thats why Nintendo merged the Wii U and 3DS into the Switch, to unify their games. So if this PSP2 (or PSP3 or whatever it'd be called) could actually play PS4 games and from then on Sony devs or 3rd parties could essentially just dev a game for PS4 and it'd run on this portable system, that could potentially work.

Issue is I don't think that level of portable tech exists yet for the required price, given the power, size, and battery life needs.

Meesh

The problem is there is no way Sony can compete with Nintendo when comes to portable market, we saw that with PSVita against 3DS and even PSP against DS.

The problem

Sony doesn't have the first-party capacities to support a second platform. Unless they make the handheld and their console based on the same specs, I don't see how Sony could compete.
I seriously want a new Sony portable. With Nintendo setting a certain standard or expectation moving forward I think if they took a similar route with a docking PSP we could see some magic. Take inspiration with what is working and merge some of Nintendos innovation with Sonys hardware philosophies?...

Elegant and powerful with a robust third party line up. I think a huge issue is that many feel Sony "failed" the first couple rounds. Three times isn't an option and while they're pushing PS5 something tells me they're saving face while ironing out a real Switch.competitor.

Let's be real, behind closed doors they've probably got several prototypes and ideas... its just whether or not they feel they've got another shot at the title.

We need another portable competitor to keep Nintendo on its toes.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I don't think a Sony market would penetrate the Nintendo market share in Japan much at all. They just don't develop the type of games that the Commuter in Japan wants. What are they going to do, make an animal crossing clone? I don't think that would be a good use of resources. They are having a hard enough time meeting PS5 demand that they should stay focused on PS5 production and game development.

Hudo

I seriously want a new Sony portable. With Nintendo setting a certain standard or expectation moving forward I think if they took a similar route with a docking PSP we could see some magic. Take inspiration with what is working and merge some of Nintendos innovation with Sonys hardware philosophies?...

Elegant and powerful with a robust third party line up. I think a huge issue is that many feel Sony "failed" the first couple rounds. Three times isn't an option and while they're pushing PS5 something tells me they're saving face while ironing out a real Switch.competitor.

Let's be real, behind closed doors they've probably got several prototypes and ideas... its just whether or not they feel they've got another shot at the title.

We need another portable competitor to keep Nintendo on its toes.
I think before we see Sony trying their hands on a dedicated portable gaming device again, we'll see them pushing cloud gaming on Smartphones for a selection of titles. You have to keep in mind that their HQ is now in California. For the handheld to have any chance of success would mean that this would be a Sony Japan led project and I am not sure the current management of Sony wants to do that.

Zato

Banned
Nintendo would be pretty happy to spank their asses without breaking a sweat... A third time.
People downplay how well the PSP sold, I know it didnt do DS numbers but the price differential plus the Nintendo consoles catering more to the children / female market improved its numbers.

Sony tried to do handhelds for those more interested in a more grown up (perceived) device, PSP did really well considering Nintendo had that market to itself since the early 90's.

I bought a Vita, too many didnt and hardware wise it was excellent.

Unfortunately that lack of support for the Vita from the market killed the chance for a handheld with good power and a focus on higher production quality games.

Switch Lite is an awful handheld and the og Switch is not exactly portable.

killatopak

Gold Member
All Sony handhelds are miles better than Nintendo ones. They are very solid pieces of tech that are highly durable and ergonomic compared to their Nintendo counterpart.

What they do lack are the games though. I don‘t think they’ll ever do another handheld though I do wish more of it. Ever since the focus shifted to concentrate more on western developers, I already foresaw the outcome.

Unless Sony buys or makes like a bunch of Japanese studios, there very little reason to expect a portable ever coming.

Cornbread78

Ever since the focus shifted to concentrate more on western developers, I already foresaw the outcome.

Unless Sony buys or makes like a bunch of Japanese studios, there very little reason to expect a portable ever coming.

This exactly. Sony's focus to battle MS for the west has left the eastern market to Ninty and Ninty alone. It sucks as I love jrpgs, but they are all going to Switch right now as a primary landing spot or so it feels like they are.

K1Expwy

Playstation headquartered in California likely means Japan's demand for handhelds over home devices (with the opposite true for most of the world) is under consideration, instead of a priority to maintain a presence in Sony's home market

Yeah the portable Market is owned by Nintendo and the traditional home console market owned by Sony. Neither can or will be beaten.
Home console market will die faster than handhelds though. Handhelds will be next and then mobile & streaming is the future.

Kerotan

Home console market will die faster than handhelds though. Handhelds will be next and then mobile & streaming is the future.
Maybe it will and maybe it won't. Don't worry about 20 years from now. Sony won't have a problem with streaming and neither should ninty if it ever goes there. They got awesome first party line up which would carry it. A non streaming approach is much more profitable for Sony short term so it makes sense.

Paasei

The Vita itself is a great handheld. Better than a (3)DS can ever be in terms of hardware. The Vita right now is a great handheld for a few indie games and/or old PSX and PS2 games.

Sony's main problem was lack of support and making it unfriendly for consumers with those retarded micro-SD-like things that were too expensive. Same with the UMD back on the PSP.

Last edited:

Meesh

I think before we see Sony trying their hands on a dedicated portable gaming device again, we'll see them pushing cloud gaming on Smartphones for a selection of titles. You have to keep in mind that their HQ is now in California. For the handheld to have any chance of success would mean that this would be a Sony Japan led project and I am not sure the current management of Sony wants to do that.
I agree with you, 100% in principle. But I'm challenging the conventions here and think Sony should too. Simply challenge the gaming public, do westerners want a beefier, sexier, western handheld? I think we do. With Sonys brand on it, I do.

Sonys biggest influence now is the west It seems so why not think outside of Japans confined box, which feels shrinking and stagnant in some ways to me, and create a portable around western sensibilities? Make this thing in the west, ergonomically fit for our tastes primarily in mind with plenty of juice to run versions of PS5 games. I'm sure the project alone would be the first of its kind in many ways and could be marketed as such?

Sony I think should take a stand and carve out their portable success right here. Pull a blue ocean maneuver of their own.

No chance. I don't think you realise how many gamers want to buy their games and not rent them.
The same was told about music and movies...Last generation people were saying the same about physical disks. Also at the start of last generation we did not even 4G and Infrastructure became more accessible than before (nowadays when you get a house you get water, light and Internet by default all the time). Over the last 20 years we went from 56kb dial-up to 1GBit fiber; from PS2 to PS5 generation; from Geforce2, 15MB RAM to RTX/64GB+ RAM.

But all the time it is the same song that nobody needs cars because we have horses.

Why will the home console market die faster than the handheld market?
Because handheld is all about portability. It is basically like having the additional phone that you can take everywhere and play almost home console quality games. Basically it fills that niche that mobile phones cannot for now - mobile phones are just not performant enough. But they are growing stronger and I will be not surprised that in 2-3 years they be as powerful as Xbox One for example.

Home console market is losing its appeal people go either to mobiles/portables or to PC. In fact by the amount of the console sold over the previous generation we can say that we hit the ceiling because from PS2 to PS4 generation the overall amount of the consoles sold is roughly the same. Basically market reached the saturation. China may provide some additional buffer but it follows the same trends as other asian countries with PCs and mobiles.

Mobile and streaming is the future, simply because with streaming you can play on every laptop - and almost everybody has a laptop these days that they take everywhere, and mobile is the essential device these days too. When you can continue playing the game just by closing the laptop and switching to TV, why do you need some additional device?

I always say that we should look at Japan as it is always couple of years ahead of other market trends. And Japan is full on mobile, handhelds and PC.

Last edited:
I see Nintendo selling 500 million Switches. There is no ceiling. Microsoft is actually ahead of Sony with Project xCloud. I think MS should come up with an xCloud hardware initiative to create a Switch-like form factor that is connected to xCloud. That might be killer.

Last edited:
I see Nintendo selling 500 million Switches. There is no ceiling. Microsoft is actually ahead of Sony with Project xCloud. I think MS should come up with an xCloud hardware initiative to create a Switch-like form factor that is connected to xCloud. That might be killer.
No chance it reaching 500 mil. It hasn't even reached Nintendo DS values yet and I think Switch might reach around 200 mil, but not necessary.

PC & mobile is the future. And - funnily enough - they are all the essential devices in the modern life.

Last edited:
Because handheld is all about portability. It is basically like having the additional phone that you can take everywhere and play almost home console quality games. Basically it fills that niche that mobile phones cannot for now - mobile phones are just not performant enough. But they are growing stronger and I will be not surprised that in 2-3 years they be as powerful as Xbox One for example.

Home console market is losing its appeal people go either to mobiles/portables or to PC. In fact by the amount of the console sold over the previous generation we can say that we hit the ceiling because from PS2 to PS4 generation the overall amount of the consoles sold is roughly the same. Basically market reached the saturation. China may provide some additional buffer but it follows the same trends as other asian countries with PCs and mobiles.

Mobile and streaming is the future, simply because with streaming you can play on every laptop - and almost everybody has a laptop these days that they take everywhere, and mobile is the essential device these days too. When you can continue playing the game just by closing the laptop and switching to TV, why do you need some additional device?

I always say that we should look at Japan as it is always couple of years ahead of other market trends. And Japan is full on mobile, handhelds and PC.
Where the hell did you come from, 2010? This analysis has been long debunked.

1. The problem with mobile phones isn't that they're not performant enough. A flagship smartphone is already much more performant than the Switch, and mobile devices will never be as performant as home consoles. The problem with mobile phones is simply that they don't have physical controls and so are not suitable for serious games.

2. The home console market is going from strength to strength. There is no evidence whatsoever of large-scale defections to mobiles/portables or to PC outside of Japan. The only way you can claim that home console sales have stagnated is if you classify the Switch as a purely mobile device, but this is deeply misleading (since a lot of people are buying it as a home console). The Sony/Microsoft sector of the home console business has not declined: PS4 + Xbone outsold PS3 + X360, and they've outsold PS2 + Xbox year-aligned.

3. Mobile and streaming are not the future because there is no reason to believe that internet speeds will ever reach the levels necessary to play games with negligible lag. People buy home consoles (at least PlayStations and Xboxes) because they're more performant than cellphones and laptops.

Japan has been diverging strongly from the West in gaming habits for almost 15 years at this point.

1. The problem with mobile phones isn't that they're not performant enough. A flagship smartphone is already much more performant than the Switch, and mobile devices will never be as performant as home consoles. The problem with mobile phones is simply that they don't have physical controls and so are not suitable for serious games.
We now have various controllers like Razer Kishi, and the ones that allow to attach the gamepad (don't know how such form factor is called). Mobile phones are even able to connect to TV and transmit the image there. Mobile gaming are much more advanced than you think (though of course the gaming habits there are different but that's a separate matter).

2. The home console market is going from strength to strength. There is no evidence whatsoever of large-scale defections to mobiles/portables or to PC outside of Japan. The only way you can claim that home console sales have stagnated is if you classify the Switch as a purely mobile device, but this is deeply misleading (since a lot of people are buying it as a home console). The Sony/Microsoft sector of the home console business has not declined: PS4 + Xbone outsold PS3 + X360, and they've outsold PS2 + Xbox year-aligned.
We can compare Switch to PS3 + PSP (what Switch roughly represent) and it will get 160 mil devices sold which is close to 200 that I expect from Switch. There are some other factors involved of course as certain consoles like Wii appealed very much to mass market (that is dominated by the mobiles and Switch right now) or 3DS which was proto mobile gaming market. However pure home console market hangs around 200 mil consoles overall.

The only elephant in the room is that newly emerging markets like the chinese one, but regarding the western and all the existing markets - the ceiling has been reached. I fully expect new countries to go away from the traditional console market as embrace streaming/PC. Some influx of new owners will happen - but PC & mobile will win in the end.

3. Mobile and streaming are not the future because there is no reason to believe that internet speeds will ever reach the levels necessary to play games with negligible lag. People buy home consoles (at least PlayStations and Xboxes) because they're more performant than cellphones and laptops
Have you tried cloud games? I play XCloud in NL and it is fine. And third-world countries get access to 4G faster than to basic medicine. Even Nintendo little buy little opened itself to 3rd party cloud games.

We are not in 2000s anymore. People buy home consoles out of habit mostly, it has nothing to do with the performance - if PS5 had 6TF people would buy it anyway. Just they would disappointed. It reminds me of IPhones but whatever. Cloud games runs better than the new games on old PCs with or without lag.

Streaming & mobile is the future. I bet people said that CDs cannot kill cartridges or that Xbox Live is not needed because nobody plays online games on consoles...It's the nature of time that the old ways must give in. It will happen.

Last edited:
So basically xCloud is exploding in popularity and Sony has no answer. I wouldn't be shocked if by 2025 it's:

1. Nintendo
2. Microsoft
3. Sony

OnionSnake

Banned
So basically xCloud is exploding in popularity and Sony has no answer. I wouldn't be shocked if by 2025 it's:

1. Nintendo
2. Microsoft
3. Sony
Is it? Maybe my circle is small but I don't know anyone using it. I have heard of Stadia from coworkers and friends with kids but that's about it for streaming service for games...

DESTROYA

This might not be a good comparison but there are handhelds that can already play up to PS4 type of graphics but they are not cheap.
At 15W these get around 2 hours of battery life

GPD Win 3

AYA NEO

Vitacat

I just started playing my Vita again after a few years (finally modded it and using SD2Vita), and wow, what a nice handheld it still is.

So yeah, a new Sony handheld would be nice. But ONLY if they intend to actually support it and not completely screw it up.

Ozrimandias

So it'll have thumbsticks that will make the phone more cumbersome and will be limited by the phone size that could be an issue for the handheld.

LKzy8q2.jpg

Yeah, but they will come up with something. XD

Last edited:

FStubbs

I see this topic AGAIN and now I'm confused. Sony releases multiple portable devices every year.

jporter_201010_4237_0003sq.0.jpg

Last edited:
We now have various controllers like Razer Kishi, and the ones that allow to attach the gamepad (don't know how such form factor is called). Mobile phones are even able to connect to TV and transmit the image there. Mobile gaming are much more advanced than you think (though of course the gaming habits there are different but that's a separate matter).
The average person has no idea what a Razer Kishi is, and the product is simply not ready for prime time with the mass market (e.g.: it can't output audio through its USB-C port). If you want mobile gaming to supplant the Switch from its niche, forget about home consoles, you would need Apple, Samsung, OnePlus, etc to start selling first-party Razer Kishi equivalents at carrier stores, and you'd need some sort of killer app smartphone game to inspire large numbers of normal people to actually buy those Kishis, and you'd need Apple and Google to take an interest in actually curating the game sections of their app stores so that a thriving ecosystem could emerge.
We can compare Switch to PS3 + PSP (what Switch roughly represent) and it will get 160 mil devices sold which is close to 200 that I expect from Switch. There are some other factors involved of course as certain consoles like Wii appealed very much to mass market (that is dominated by the mobiles and Switch right now) or 3DS which was proto mobile gaming market. However pure home console market hangs around 200 mil consoles overall.
You expect the Switch to sell 200 million units??
The only elephant in the room is that newly emerging markets like the chinese one, but regarding the western and all the existing markets - the ceiling has been reached. I fully expect new countries to go away from the traditional console market as embrace streaming/PC. Some influx of new owners will happen - but PC & mobile will win in the end.
There's no evidence that this is happening in the west. China has never had a healthy console market in the first place, since the Communist Party basically banned them for decades.
Have you tried cloud games? I play XCloud in NL and it is fine. And third-world countries get access to 4G faster than to basic medicine. Even Nintendo little buy little opened itself to 3rd party cloud games.

We are not in 2000s anymore. People buy home consoles out of habit mostly, it has nothing to do with the performance - if PS5 had 6TF people would buy it anyway. Just they would disappointed. It reminds me of IPhones but whatever. Cloud games runs better than the new games on old PCs with or without lag.

Streaming & mobile is the future. I bet people said that CDs cannot kill cartridges or that Xbox Live is not needed because nobody plays online games on consoles...It's the nature of time that the old ways must give in. It will happen.
Streaming and mobile have been "the future" since the invention of the smartphone, and console gaming is still going strong. There's a reason for that: dedicated hobbyists love consoles and hate streaming and mobile.

Kerotan

The same was told about music and movies...Last generation people were saying the same about physical disks. Also at the start of last generation we did not even 4G and Infrastructure became more accessible than before (nowadays when you get a house you get water, light and Internet by default all the time). Over the last 20 years we went from 56kb dial-up to 1GBit fiber; from PS2 to PS5 generation; from Geforce2, 15MB RAM to RTX/64GB+ RAM.

But all the time it is the same song that nobody needs cars because we have horses.

Movie theatres are still booming. Dvd and blu rays still sell millions and a big chunk of games are still bought on disk.

Eventually gaming will probably go all digital. The ps6 I predict will still get a disc drive version. But even then the majority will want to own their games. Mark my words.

Tschumi

Is this ironic?

Well, for my answer i think Vita 2 would be wonderful, but i don't think they're going to do it.

Why did they make Vita the way they did? Why do they not let you play ps3 or ps2 games on ps4 or 5? Sony makes a lot of kind of unfriendly decisions, but i don't think it's because they're incompetent, i think it's just their business model.. they've figured out the balance of risk and generosity that they're comfortable with and it's probably not quite where Nintendo is at.

It seems to be working. I feel it is understood that, if you want the best Sony has to offer (and that's very good) you need to buy their most recent, supported platform. Or, well, ps4 pro which is still expensive.

Would i prefer it if i could still play games i bought 10 years ago that are a ton of fun? Of course. Is that the sony way? No. They want me to buy a ps5, and with that PS5 I'll be getting the best games and best experience on the market.

Why am i musing about this? Because, given the chance again, I'm not sure Sony wouldn't just do the same stuff they did with Vita - expensive, bespoke memory cards or whatever - and rely on the quality of their titles to sell it. That's why it won't happen, because they know their model doesn't work for a handheld.

They dumped the vita when ps3 started picking up and they didn't need that second source of income. Ps4 and ps5 are always picking up, so they still don't need that second source.

Edit: despite all I've said Vita is still the best handheld on the planet, but that's got nothing to do with Sony

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

Is this ironic?

Well, for my answer i think Vita 2 would be wonderful, but i don't think they're going to do it.

Why did they make Vita the way they did? Why do they not let you play ps3 or ps2 games on ps4 or 5? Sony makes a lot of kind of unfriendly decisions, but i don't think it's because they're incompetent, i think it's just their business model.. they've figured out the balance of risk and generosity that they're comfortable with and it's probably not quite where Nintendo is at.

It seems to be working. I feel it is understood that, if you want the best Sony has to offer (and that's very good) you need to buy their most recent, supported platform. Or, well, ps4 pro which is still expensive.

Would i prefer it if i could still play games i bought 10 years ago that are a ton of fun? Of course. Is that the sony way? No. They want me to buy a ps5, and with that PS5 I'll be getting the best games and best experience on the market.

Why am i musing about this? Because, given the chance again, I'm not sure Sony wouldn't just do the same stuff they did with Vita - expensive, bespoke memory cards or whatever - and rely on the quality of their titles to sell it. That's why it won't happen, because they know their model doesn't work for a handheld.

They dumped the vita when ps3 started picking up and they didn't need that second source of income. Ps4 and ps5 are always picking up, so they still don't need that second source.

Edit: despite all I've said Vita is still the best handheld on the planet, but that's got nothing to do with Sony
Why do people cling to "Vita 2" like the PSP never existed! maybe your too young but the VIta WAS the 2. They don't need to use that name or repeat any of its mistakes.

Tschumi

Why do people cling to "Vita 2" like the PSP never existed! maybe your too young but the VIta WAS the 2. They don't need to use that name or repeat any of its mistakes.
I've got 2 PSPs hehe don't worry (though i play all my games on my vita for dualstick remapping), okay so ordered, PlayStation Portable 3.

The average person has no idea what a Razer Kishi is, and the product is simply not ready for prime time with the mass market (e.g.: it can't output audio through its USB-C port). If you want mobile gaming to supplant the Switch from its niche, forget about home consoles, you would need Apple, Samsung, OnePlus, etc to start selling first-party Razer Kishi equivalents at carrier stores, and you'd need some sort of killer app smartphone game to inspire large numbers of normal people to actually buy those Kishis, and you'd need Apple and Google to take an interest in actually curating the game sections of their app stores so that a thriving ecosystem could emerge.
It will happen in time and a lot of games get touch support etc. Genshin Impact on mobile doing just fine and when more serious games will enter the mobile market en masse - without or without cloud - it will be even better. Battery technology will be better, processors will be faster. It will happen.

You expect the Switch to sell 200 million units??
No, I expect the hard limit of 200 but it won't necessary reach it. It will stop around 160 or something. Maybe less. Poster mentioned that Switch could reach 300 or 500 so I provided my estimations. It might not reach Nintendo DS numbers even with Pro version. There is a hard limit for its growth.

There's no evidence that this is happening in the west. China has never had a healthy console market in the first place, since the Communist Party basically banned them for decades.
Evidence? The amount of hardcore console sold over generations starting from PS2 remained roughly the same. On all the market over straight 3 generations - PS2, PS3, PS4 - the overall amount of consoles per gen was around 170+ if you add all the consoles.

I excluded Nintendo as it provides big fluctuations due to being able to join mass market which is pretty big. It is always borders the mass market, which is dominated by the mobile.

It all boils down how Chinese market will perform -but all the main markets like USA, Europe are saturated enough so they are not growing anymore. They will face the same thing as Japan. Japan is just ahead in trends. More people nowadays are interested in PCs and mobile than before. There was notion that PCs were for geeks and mobiles for children, which is not true anymore. In fact growing PC market cannot even be ignored by Sony who started - albeit lately some games there - and all the main publishers are not developing games without PC port (in the past games could stay on Xbox 360 and PS3 only and never reach PC).

Last edited:

Meesh

PSVita was the best handheld gaming device ever. Beautiful OLED screen, Real Joysticks, and the power to get close to PS3 Quality. Vita was such a better piece of tech than the 3DS and it's failure is a huge loss for the world
I seriously believe without a shadow of a doubt that at some point in the future the traditional life cycle and design of home consoles will be more portable.
They're becoming too much like PCs, to me the line is blurring a little every gen.
It could be that in order to differentiate from the PC type offerings Sony and Microsoft have there will be potable alternatives that work with their respective libraries.

Nintendo might be paving the way in some respects, but its up to Sony to do what they do best.
I wouldn't turn down a XboxPortable, even more so if they aquire some Japanese IP, and I'd dip my toes into a new PSP again. Potablillity is the future.

Last edited:

yurinka

I loved PSP and Vita, and would buy their next portable, but I understand that now is out from the portable market because the market isn't big enough to have two, so there is only place for Switch. Only if they would be able to make a portable or hybrid PS4 or PS5 would make sense because it wouldn't require to make specific games for it, that there isn't any portable technology to even make a portable PS4.

They are setting gaming history records with PS4 and PS5 in the home console market being the leaders selling consoles, games, VR, game subscriptions and streaming services. They must continue focusing there, with their next step being to release a revamped version of PS Now in 2021-2022 and PSVR2 in 2023.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Hardly surprising considering how cheap and cheerful the DS was. Lmao.

Well Vita was praised for its low price too but we saw what happened. Lmao

And 8,5 % of 1 millon. Who cares.

The only thing that matters is if it was profitable and if it improved (or at least not ruined) the image of the company,

The 154.9m selling one spawned a successor that continues the winning steak, while the 85million one spawned a successor that permanently killed the handheld line of the company.

Last edited:

yurqqa

The 154.9m selling one spawned a successor that continues the winning steak, while the 85million one spawned a successor that permanently killed the handheld line of the company.
What do you mean "spawned" ? Are the living organisms ?

Did Wii spawned WiiU ?
Did PS2 spawned PS3 ?

There were mistakes done with VIta and they are well known.
PSP has not much to do with it.

3DS also had a very rough start and Nintendo did many things to save it and turn it into success.

Top Bottom