• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Possibly Revealing PS5 Early June (Before E3)

Braldryr

Banned
So, I am hearing rumblings of a potential PS5 reveal/Sony event prior to E3. Yes I am very well aware that Sony did state they're not holding an event at E3 or around E3.

However, Sony has said things on purpose before, particularly with the PS4 as well. Kaz said why show your console early when the competition can come in and beat you later? Only to reveal a teaser for PS4 meeting for the next month shortly after.

Before you all start jumping at me I will say right now that I have no personal confirmation or any "insider" information.

There have been few tweets going around the web along with Zughe (Reeeesetera Mod) who has been talking similar things.

I believe LongSensation posted a tweet not too long ago describing the event.

This is the same dude that legit leaked Call of Duty's new title which is being revealed on the 30th.

Oh and also.

Here is Also a new Death Stranding Teaser for you that was posted yesterday if you have not seen it.

The event is rumored to have Tlou 2, Ghosts, Death Stranding and PS5 thrown in.

UPDATE - Death Stranding Officially Confirmed for May 29th with full gameplay mechanics and genre reveal

Source - https://www.gaminginstincts.com/death-stranding-gets-new-trailer-on-may-29

Update #2 - TloU 2 to have trailer as well on the 29th (Take it with grail of salt) this is a rumor as opposed to the confirmed Death Stranding. (Jason Schreir - also retweeted this, I think its a safe bet at this point)

Source - https://www.gaminginstincts.com/rum...get-a-new-trailer-until-the-end-of-this-week/

While earlier today Hideo Kojima and his team hyped us by announcing a new trailer for Death Stranding on Wednesday, now a Spanish source claims that shortly after the arrival of new details for Death Stranding, Naughty Dog will premiere a new trailer for The Last of Us Part 2, unveiling the release date for the game which is set for Fall 2019.

Update #3 - Rumor- apparently this Reddit leaker was quite precise

Source - https://www.gaminginstincts.com/rum...part-2-in-fall-and-ghost-of-tsushima-in-2020/

Death Stranding releasing this Summer (within next 3 months)

The Last of Us 2 in the Fall 2019

Ghosts of Tishimua 2020

Update #4

State of Play to be announced in a few hours for may 30th according to a Spanish website as the original source. Same site that was also leaking a potential Last of Us 2 trailer happening.

Rumor Report -

State of Play on May 30th Rumored

Last of Us 2 Releases in Novemeber this year Rumored

Death Stranding on 29th is Confirmed.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Revealing on 30th is Confirmed.

Bottom line is, event happening or not. I do not think Sony is going to be completely quiet during or pre E3. They def seem to be building up some sort of a momentum here for something.

Last edited:

FranXico

Before you all start jumping at me I will say right now that I have no personal confirmation or any "insider" information.
We appreciate the clarification, thank you.
Remember people, this thread is about educated speculation, there are no leaks yet.

If you want to get super technical here the PS5 was softly "announced" on April 16th..
Good point.

PS5 full unveiling June with a launch Xmas 2019.

Xbox 2 will be slightly more powerful and launch Xmas 2020.

Kind of a reverse Ps360 launch.

I have said in a few threads that I think Ps5 will be this year and PSVR2 next year.

Braldryr

Banned
The pastebin leak said there would be a small reveal which would seem accurate for a June reveal.

That Long sensation dude even said the same thing when he leaked the CoD name.

I believe LongSensation posted a tweet not too long ago describing the event. Let me find the tweet. 1 sec.

This is the same dude that legit leaked Call of Duty's new title which is being revealed on the 30th.

Last edited:

Pallas

Good point.

I have said in a few threads that I think Ps5 will be this year and PSVR2 next year.

I just don’t see PS5 ready by late 2019 plus it seems there is hardly any mentioning of PSVR2, which makes me think it might not be ready when the console launches.

Braldryr

Banned
Good point.

PS5 will NOT be coming out this year. I believe Sony confirmed that

I just don’t see PS5 ready by late 2019 plus it seems there is hardly any mentioning of PSVR2, which makes me think it might not be ready when the console launches.

It makes no sense for PSVR2 and the PS5 to launch together. It's too risky and too messy. Plus if you spread it out it means selling a PS product every year. PSVR will receive a graphics boost with PS5 so they can ride that for a bit. IMO:

PS5 2019
PSVR2 2020
PS5 slim 2021
PSVR2 wireless 2022
PS5 pro 2023

Add a year if the PS5 launches in 2020, but the year span still makes sense.

PS5 will NOT be coming out this year. I believe Sony confirmed that

I'm #team2019

Braldryr

Banned
It makes no sense for PSVR2 and the PS5 to launch together. It's too risky and too messy. Plus if you spread it out it means selling a PS product every year. PSVR will receive a graphics boost with PS5 so they can ride that for a bit. IMO:

PS5 2019
PSVR2 2020
PS5 slim 2021
PSVR2 wireless 2022
PS5 pro 2023

I'm #team2019

Launching PS5 without the inclusion of PSVR2 would be a horrible idea. Sony will want to sell the PS5s with PSVR2 already in it (I believe it's something that's inside the system already and no separate box on what most rumors were saying anyway) and comes with the headset as well. Sony want to sell you the whole package.

PS5 2019
PSVR2 2020
PS5 slim 2021
PSVR2 wireless 2022
PS5 pro 2023

I'm #team2019
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/04/26/playstation-5-will-not-launch-before-april-2020

Launching PS5 without the inclusion of PSVR2 would be a horrible idea. Sony will want to sell the PS5s with PSVR2 already in it (I believe it's something that's inside the system already and no separate box on what most rumors were saying anyway) and comes with the headset as well. Sony want to sell you the whole package.

IMO, it would be a bad idea. Sending two new products to market at once would be very risky for not much reward. Plus, it would almost instantly kill the sales of PSVR1. Better to let PSV1 have a price drop, have a nice boost of graphics from the PS5 and let more users dip their toe into the VR water before launching the PSVR2 the following year.

Plus, it takes some steam and market share away from Microsoft. They could launch whatever game, exclusive or slim edition but if the PSVR2 blows people away, what will the consumers be talking about? PlayStation, not xbox.

I know, I've read it. Let me dream :messenger_savoring:

bitbydeath

There was a rumour posted in the OT for a June 3 reveal.

Just adding this here though in no way do I believe it.

PS5 over 12tf
Xbox premium over 11tf

PS5 blowing us away. Seems way more advanced than Xbox even the upper end model. Reveal June 3 for PS5.

CJY

Banned
There was a rumour posted in the OT for a June 3 reveal.
I never saw this rumour but I still find it absolutely hilarious how the day after Mark Cerny's Wired article, MS-apologists came out of the woodwork stating how the Next Xbox was going be far superior than the PS5. Seemingly oblivious to the fact that no concrete specs were revealed whatsoever... only the architectures being used.

Since then, we have heard nothing from the "NextBox is better" camp. It's almost as though MS has programmed a script/bot/NPC/clown to automatically release a canned response of "the Next Xbox is better than PS5" if the terms: "Cerny" + "PlayStation" + "next" was found. So bloody dumb.

I never saw this rumour but I still find it absolutely hilarious how the day after Mark Cerny's Wired article, MS-apologists came out of the woodwork stating how the Next Xbox was going be far superior than the PS5. Seemingly oblivious to the fact that no concrete specs were revealed whatsoever... only the architectures being used.

Since then, we have heard nothing from the "NextBox is better" camp. It's almost as though MS has programmed a script/bot/NPC/clown to automatically release a canned response of "the Next Xbox is better than PS5" if the terms: "Cerny" + "PlayStation" + "next" was found. So bloody dumb.
It still no doubt will be, I see no reason as to why Microsoft would allow themselves to be Xbox One'd.

They've stated that power is a focal point of the brand and it won't be lost again, the Xbox One X team is developing the system, they have the money, they have the ability to take front loaded losses Sony cannot, they have more clout with AMD, they're more important to AMD.

I can't see one earthly reason as to how the PlayStation 5 could have a higher computational ceiling.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

It still probably will be, I see no reason as to why Microsoft would allow themselves to be Xbox One'd.

They have the money, they have more clout with AMD, they're more important to AMD.

A 1 TF difference won’t set the world on fire.
If its 11TF Vega vs 12TF Navi then that would be a huge difference but if they’re both Navi you likely won’t notice much when dealing with resolutions of 4K-8K

If its 11TF Vega vs 12TF Navi then that would be a huge difference but if they’re both Navi you likely won’t notice much when dealing with resolutions of 4K-8K
I personally think it's going to be bigger than that, and Microsoft won't be on Navi. I can see them using Vega with Navi feature sets and a lot of custom work of their own which will net them a decently higher ceiling for less or the same amount of money.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

I do not think Sony want a Kinect bundles with every system kind of pricing and coating scenario and their SVP of R&D said that they do not want to launch too many products at once.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
who on earth thinks we're gonna be playing games at 8K? lmfao. yes i know the PS5 will support 8K but if anyone is expecting the PS5 to be playing games at 8K then they are in for a very very very big disappointment. if i'm being really optimistic then maybe they'll do what they did with the PS4 Pro and render games at a lower resolution and use checkerboarding to hit 8K.

8K is simply too powerful and doesn't make any sense right now. They should just focus on achieving 4k 30fps as standard before thinking of 8K. hell, even on PC 8K isn't a thing yet. running 4K 60fps is still demanding and expensive. When that becomes easily achievable then we'll move on to 5K. 8K is a long way away yet.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I personally think it's going to be bigger than that, and Microsoft won't be on Navi. I can see them using Vega with Navi feature sets and a lot of custom work of their own which will net them a decently higher ceiling for less or the same amount of money.

Then they will be competing with a very customised Navi if you believe how tied to PS5 R&D plans Navi is and how Sony ringfenced AMD engineers just for the PS5 Navi semi-custom chip. Also, the history of how Sony collaborated with AMD on the PS4 GPU features set and the modern design and even next-Radeon design features they got for PS4 Pro GPU would be consistent with Sony going for the more custom/nuanced and less brute force design.

I think PS4, PS4 Pro, PS Vita (from an architecture point of view), and what we are hearing of PS5 would place Sony in a good place in terms of the return on their GPU investment.
Not sure why you see MS having a more powerful design at the same or lower cost unless you think MS went the ol’ school Sony route and did a more difficult to program for but unique architecture to punch way above its weight.

bitbydeath

Vega would need to reach 14-15TF to match a 12TF Navi given the architecture differences. Navi is going to PC as well so Xbox will probably be allowed it too.

TBiddy

I can't see one earthly reason as to how the PlayStation 5 could have a higher computational ceiling.

I think it boils down to the numerous leaks (false or not) we have out the PS5. Allows everyone to dream and suddenly become experts in what is and what isn't possible.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
It’s a tricky one. PSVR is obviously a great product they have done well with, and I’m sure the new one will be utterly fantastic.

But fantastic comes with a price.

You can get an original PSVR for £100 now, and that’s all parents will see. So when you have a next gen machine costing £400-£500, and a next gen VR headset costing £300 plus... that’s a pretty hard pill to swallow for any parent.

So I would say, realistically, that Sony would launch the PS5 first, get it into homes, and then launch the VR headset later. Much more potential for higher sales this way.

I don’t see the PS5 releasing in 2019. I just don’t. PS4 has far too much steam still and they have nothing to gain in doing so. But I do see them trying to undercut MS and beat them at the reveal. Both companies want the other to make the first move, so that the other can look at what went right and what went wrong.

This gen will certainly be interesting from a business perspective. So much has changed now compared to before.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
they have more clout with AMD, they're more important to AMD.

Not sure, AMD is a strong partner now for Azure (recent announcement) but it is not sure that would directly relate to the Xbox unit vs their dealings with PlayStation, AMD just sold a tons of chips to Google and Sony (quite a lot of PS4 and PS4 Pro sales and Sony is helping to find their next generation GPU research and have done so for quite a while investing in long term roadmap features for AMD and thus fast tracking them for desktop as well). Apparently they were very involved with Sony on designing Navi or a custom Navi version too.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

who on earth thinks we're gonna be playing games at 8K? lmfao. yes i know the PS5 will support 8K but if anyone is expecting the PS5 to be playing games at 8K then they are in for a very very very big disappointment. if i'm being really optimistic then maybe they'll do what they did with the PS4 Pro and render games at a lower resolution and use checkerboarding to hit 8K.

8K is simply too powerful and doesn't make any sense right now. They should just focus on achieving 4k 30fps as standard before thinking of 8K. hell, even on PC 8K isn't a thing yet. running 4K 60fps is still demanding and expensive. When that becomes easily achievable then we'll move on to 5K. 8K is a long way away yet.

I just meant resolutions of between 4K and 8K. GT Sport last year was running 8K at 240FPS so indies should be able to accomplish it.

They've stated that power is a focal point of the brand and it won't be lost again, the Xbox One X team is developing the system.

Just to jump in here, this forum seems to be a bit confused by the Xbox One X. I own one, i'm looking at it right now, but it isn't some miracle machine that Microsoft squeezed power out of. It's an entirely new console. It isn't even an xbox one. It doesn't look like one, it has different RAM, motherboard and GPU. Only the CPU is the same, with a little boost.

I see XboneX get compared to PS5 pro a lot but it's not a direct comparison when you almost entirely alter the internals. I know the Pro doubled up on some specs, but it is pretty much two ps4's celotaped together. Serious time, money and effort went into the redesign of the xbonex

TLZ

Banned
"rumblings"
My tummy is.

o-YODA-facebook-1024x512.jpg

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I just meant resolutions of between 4K and 8K. GT Sport last year was running 8K at 240FPS so indies should be able to accomplish it.
that wasn't running on a PS5 in real time tho. but yeah if any game is gonna be able to hit 8K it'll be a title like GT Sport...or any game build exclusively for the PS5 hardware.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Just to jump in here, this forum seems to be a bit confused by the Xbox One X. I own one, i'm looking at it right now, but it isn't some miracle machine that Microsoft squeezed power out of. It's an entirely new console. It isn't even an xbox one. It doesn't look like one, it has different RAM, motherboard and GPU. Only the CPU is the same, with a little boost.

I see XboneX get compared to PS5 pro a lot but it's not a direct comparison when you almost entirely alter the internals. I know the Pro doubled up on some specs, but it is pretty much two ps4's celotaped together. Serious time, money and effort went into the redesign of the xbonex

Although Cerny explained it a bit like that and the memory in Xbox One X and PS4 Pro is the same GDDR5 type (lower clocked on the PS4 Pro), I think you are underestimating the effort that went into PS4 Pro that launched a year earlier and for $100 less. PS4 Pro GPU, despite the lower max FP output, is actually using features from Polaris and some Vega features too so it is actually the more modern design.

Sure MS packed a bigger chip with more raw resources and fine tuned the design to achieve even higher clock rates, but again they had an extra 12 months and a higher target price, so that was to be expected.

Varteras

Gold Member

They won't be.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
likely just a small teaser video like xool posted above.

i just can't see Sony keeping quiet and letting Microsoft have all the attention.

My guess is Sony are skipping E3 because they will do a full blow out of next gen within 6 months, and potentially launch earlier than MS.

$399, not as good as the (more expensive) Anaconda but comes out first and gets the ball rolling!

Top Bottom