• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Predicts Over 22.6 Million PS5s Sold Per Year

HTK

Banned
I think this could be attainable, it seems like the industry has grown even more during COVID-19, and it's becoming a bit more mainstream. Let's hope this encourages everyone to improve the supply because the demand is certainly there.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Bold claim, considering major problems with Playstation right now is their gaming price. Unless people consider it like Apple products, I doubt they can sell that number.

This isn't the same gen as last time, where your competition where tv tv tv tv. They are offering a solid software subscription, during a pandemic age, where everyone is having issues with money. While Sony does the 70$ price tag for their games.

I am not bashing Sony here. The reality is gaming is expensive right now. And not everyone is working like last gen. We are in economic crisis. People can't afford to spend 70$ easily. Especially, when their sale in 6 month is 61$ (that was demons souls sale). Unless they offer sales, or some kinda offer, they won't reach their goal. They need something like gamepass to achieve it.
22.6 million per year, for the next 5 years, assuming it's a 6-year generation with no pro versions is 113 million consoles. Add the current 8 million console units that they have already sold so far, and it's 121 million units.

Considering PS4 sold 115 million units (based on the last data we got), how is it far-fetched that they won't be able to sell this number? Unless you are saying that they will lose market share, which in itself is very far fetched to think, considering their momentum, better and more games, more established IPs, TV/Media push, a general uptick in the gaming industry post covid, a much-better console than PS4, and the competitor's lack of interest in selling hardware units.

Last edited:

John Wick

Bold claim, considering major problems with Playstation right now is their gaming price. Unless people consider it like Apple products, I doubt they can sell that number.

This isn't the same gen as last time, where your competition where tv tv tv tv. They are offering a solid software subscription, during a pandemic age, where everyone is having issues with money. While Sony does the 70$ price tag for their games.

I am not bashing Sony here. The reality is gaming is expensive right now. And not everyone is working like last gen. We are in economic crisis. People can't afford to spend 70$ easily. Especially, when their sale in 6 month is 61$ (that was demons souls sale). Unless they offer sales, or some kinda offer, they won't reach their goal. They need something like gamepass to achieve it.
Bold claim? The console is sold out all the time. Looks like that $70 isn't putting many people off.
Look at smartphones the prices are going up all the time. No one batted an eyelid when the PS5 came in at $499. More than likely most publishers will raise their prices.
Gamepass Sony will deal with but on their own terms. There is no need for them to rush in with a competitor. They are probably working behind closed doors to get it sorted. Jim Ryan said as much. It's best let MS take the financial hit and the learning curve that way Sony won't have to.

soulbait

Man, the back and forth on both sides of fanboys on this is funny.

Sony fans: all other console makers are doomed. Microsoft has no shot.

Reality: Sales numbers of a console are only one metric of success, and when you consider that PlayStation already owns a majority of the populace mindshare when it comes to gaming and Microsoft's push to have the Xbox platform on as many devices as possible, not just Xbox consoles, it is not surprising that Sony will continue to sell more. 22 million a year is awesome and should be celebrated that the console market is still healthy, but it does mean the other competition are failures, they just don't sell as much.

Xbox Fans: But gamepass and all the other exclusives coming. Just wait, Microsoft can still sale more this generation!

Reality: not going to happen. Look, I am a Xbox first gamer. I prefer the Xbox console experience and what I find as pro-consumer coming into this generation over what Sony is doing. I go with Microsoft first, and then I pick up a PlayStation a little after and play their great exclusives. But I am realistic, when it comes to sales numbers, it is going to be really hard to beat Sony. Period. I know fans like to bring up the 360 era, but that had a lot more going on (less expensive, one year head start) but by the end of the generation, Sony was passing them in sales numbers, especially outside of North America. Sony has made a name for themselves and many people think of a PlayStation first whenever you mention video games. That's just the facts. I love my Xbox consoles and games, but the majority chooses PlayStation first. Does not mean the Xbox is less valuable and it does not even mean the PlayStation is better (which opinion of that is overall subjective). But when it comes to console sales, PlayStation is more than likely going to lead.

22 million a year is great and shows a healthy market. Now if only PS5's will stay in stock long enough so I can get one before Horizon comes out...

yurinka

I think the amount of consoles sold will depend on the number of consoles they will be able to produce. Demand is there to sell way more than that and games like Horizon, GoWR and GT7 will highly increase it. It all will depend on how soon they address the lack of chips issue.

I still see Xbox regaining NA this generation.
I think it won't happen, they will continue being 3rd and their market share at the end of the Series X|S generation will be smaller than at the end of the XBO generation. Both including and not including Nintendo.

thats insane and way more than i expected so early. peak is usually at year 3-4 of console lifecycle. theres really no doubt about it anymore that PS5 will breeze past the PS4 total units sold. with covid extending the generation on top of that, PS5 will be a genuine contender for the PS2's no1 spot imo.
They said they expect to sell 22.6M units this year, not that they expect this year to be their peak one. In 2022 they'll have GoW, GT7, Forspoken and pretty likely FFXVI, Spider-Man 2 and the Firewalk new IP. And who knows if TLOU2 Factions and Horizon if not released in 2021. PSVR2 may also release in 2022. And many unannounced games originally scheduled for 2021 very likely got delayed to 2022 due to covid.

I think the fiscal year that starts in April 2022 will be way bigger than the current one specially if they solve the chips issue before its start.

Last edited:

truth411

And thereby breaking another record.

Via Google Translate:

Question is, will they be able to meet demand?
This effectively means Sony is going to aim for the PS5 to surpass the PS2 in sales.
This means 2 things imo:
A: Capacity to produce PS5 will dramatically increase.
B: This will be a long generation, expect PS6 at Holiday 2028.

CAB_Life

Isn't this higher than Switch numbers? Seems like wishful thinking for a $400-500 piece of tech and given that our economies will be suffocating in a year or two once interest rates inevitably soar. Central banks are going to have to claw back all those trillions in monopoly money. I have no doubt it will sell, and likely more than the Xbox, but these kind of projections are insane.

Renozokii

Not sure where you live, and no offense to anyone here.....but in the US we are not in an economic crisis. In fact the economy has been growing steadily, and quite honestly, Covid is on the outs with more and more people being vaccinated. I think the Country as a whole has over 60% vaccinated (i may be wrong on that % but its high). The $70 price tag argument is also quite tiring. Noone is forcing anyone to upgrade to next gen, and there are plenty of options for those who choose to, or can't at this time for whatever reason. Newsflash lol, gaming as a hobby has always been expensive when you factor in the console, games, good tv, etc....your reasons for downing this topic don't make any sense and are way out there. Regardless of if it's PS5, PS4, PS4 Pro, Sony is killing it.
On top of all that 70 bucks is 10 dollars more than they were for 2 or 3 entire gens. Like fuck. Wait a month or two most of them will drop to 50 or 60.

onQ123

But back in the real world

TLZ

Banned

Didn't it sell almost 9 mil in 6 months? Let's assume the same number for the rest of the year and that's 18 mil. Maybe add more for Christmas and that's almost 20 mil.

Renozokii

This effectively means Sony is going to aim for the PS5 to surpass the PS2 in sales.
This means 2 things imo:
A: Capacity to produce PS5 will dramatically increase.
B: This will be a long generation, expect PS6 at Holiday 2028.
Also means they are cocky as fuck with the games they intend to offer and I believe it. What a killer line up already and horizon, god of war, and gran turismo all on the way is huge. And that’s without a big event yet laying out their year plan. Crazy. Microsoft should have saved the money on Bethesda and gave Sony a billion a year to allow gamepass on ps5 with a yearly cut as wel. Probably end up better for em.

Last edited:

Renozokii

But back in the real world
How many records can Sony break before people stop acting like Microsoft has some god plan. They are still, and id bet money will always be, behind when it comes to actual consumer taste and games. Look at all the focus on backwards compatibility. All those features and effort they put in. Surprise, didn’t make the Xbox one spike in sales, won’t make the series x sell better either.

Greggy

They're selling the consoles at a loss. The more they sell, the more money down the drain literally, especially this early. What's decisive is the game attachment rate for them this generation compared to the previous one.
The threat that MS poses is that people will not buy as many games on Playstation this gen even if they have the console. The game pass buffet will be their main meal. Much cheaper way to play.

S0ULZB0URNE

I think it won't happen, they will continue being 3rd and their market share at the end of the Series X|S generation will be smaller than at the end of the XBO generation. Both including and not including Nintendo.
I think it's very possible for them to sell more than Sony in NA.
I don't include portables so I didn't mention Nintendo.

Renozokii

They're selling the consoles at a loss. The more they sell, the more money down the drain literally, especially this early. What's decisive is the game attachment rate for them this generation compared to the previous one.
The threat that MS poses is that people will not buy as many games on Playstation this gen even if they have the console. The game pass buffet will be their main meal. Much cheaper way to play.
Mental olympics goin on in this here thread boy!

assurdum

Banned

Here we go. The hell it has to do gamepass with the games unity sold only people as you can know. Another thanks God for Gamepass post useless argument. Meanwhile Xbox games physical market it's disappeared from the charts and thanks to Gamepass.

Last edited:
PS5(with disc drive) HW was expected to be profitable already this year, if I remember correctly from Sony financials.

Spidey Fan

Banned
22.6 million per year, for the next 5 years, assuming it's a 6-year generation with no pro versions is 113 million consoles. Add the current 8 million console units that they have already sold so far, and it's 121 million units.

Considering PS4 sold 115 million units (based on the last data we got), how is it far-fetched that they won't be able to sell this number? Unless you are saying that they will lose market share, which in itself is very far fetched to think, considering their momentum, better and more games, more established IPs, TV/Media push, a general uptick in the gaming industry post covid, a much-better console than PS4, and the competitor's lack of interest in selling hardware units.
The problem is covid fucked up with people's lives. Those who can afford these new consoles, are the ones who have their old jobs, or are well off.

Ps4 was in era, where you can get the console by just doing entry job. Now days, those jobs don't exist much. With everything being hit so hard by the covid.

And right now, people who bought the new consoles are the people who can afford to spend 500$ during pandemic like its nothing. These people will continue to buy those consoles early.

The ones who helped ps4 reach 113m are the ones who won't spend money buying the console. In 2018, I had to work overtime in the warehouse job I worked on, just so I can get ps4 for my little brother. I saved 300$ from my paycheck, and bought him his ps4. Right now, I am struggling to get money for switch, despite having good tech job. Because, all my money does go to security funding, incase I get laid off from my job.

And now you add 70$ with little sale, on top of 500$ console. Do you think people will be able to afford it?

Who knows though. We might get back to normal, and Sony breaks the normal. Or economic goes crashing and everyone will be stuck with financial problems. Covid is still here, and we are 1 lockdown away from people losing their home this time.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Here we go. The hell it has to do gamepass with the games unity sold only people as you can know. Another thanks God for Gamepass post useless argument. Meanwhile Xbox games physical market it's disappeared from the charts and thanks to Gamepass.
My point wasn't about gamepass. It was about how Sony price increases will make people hesitant to buy their consoles. 60$ was too much. Now you make it 70$, and it will push them away.

Usa is just 70$ for them. Other counties is beyond that.

Sorry is this some kind of copy pasta that originated recently while i wasn't browsing ?

Spidey Fan

Banned
Sorry is this some kind of copy pasta that originated recently while i wasn't browsing ?
Nah, just someone who disagrees with future goal of 22m consoles per year.

I am just surprised how out of touch these companies are. First it was Microsoft going hard for 📺, on a gaming console. Now Its Sony turn to make gaming expensive, when were already in a pandemic, and have a hard time, not lose our jobs.

Papacheeks

Banned

I am just surprised how out of touch these companies are. First it was Microsoft going hard for 📺, on a gaming console. Now Its Sony turn to make gaming expensive, when were already in a pandemic, and have a hard time, not lose our jobs.

So where is Nintendo in this? Their games dont go down in price yet you can get PS+ for $30 on cdkeys on average. Playstation titles go down to $30 in first 6 months like Ghost and Last of us part 2. Right now Returnal physical is $50 on amazon.

They have sales every month. So if you buy the game day one yes it's expensive, but if you can wait a couple months and play games they give you each month PLUS PS+ Collection you get an insane value actually that has some of the best in class FIrst party titles.

Something currently XBox can not give you.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Do you live in America?

Top Bottom