• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PS4 dev kit FCC filing shows off extra ports, 2.75GHz max clock frequency

Oppo

I'm wondering that too. Perhaps they're going to sell them publicly. That would be awesome. It would be expensive, but anyone could develop for the PS4 then.

I think this might be the most interesting tidbit about these devkits... why are they getting FCC approval?

pixlexic

Banned
And here is the picture of the devkit itself, it can also briefly be seen in the QuanticDream office visit video somebody made few months ago.

ps4devkit.jpg

the dev kit looks so indifferent.

McHuj

They have to sell them to someone right? Even big publishers. They'd have to sell them... wouldn't they?

Right, but they have been selling early dev kits already to publishers and none of those showed up in the FCC.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't ever recall seeing an FCC filing for any other console devkit.

Oppo

I really hope the 5.0 is supported as the 2.4 sucks ass since everyone and everything messes with it.

I don't think it will be sadly. It would require dual antennas/radios, if my understanding is correct. That would be a significant extra cost.

At least if you have a dual mode router, your devices that support 5Ghz won't be crowding your 2.4Ghz space, but... yeah.

Right, but they have been selling early dev kits already to publishers and none of those showed up in the FCC.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't ever recall seeing an FCC filing for any other console devkit.
Yeah me either, that's why I was curious. As far as I know, before, kits are never really sold to devs; maybe leant out for an indefinite period of time, but always the property of Sony...

I don't think it will be sadly. It would require dual antennas/radios, if my understanding is correct. That would be a significant extra cost.

At least if you have a dual mode router, your devices that support 5Ghz won't be crowding your 2.4Ghz space, but... yeah.

Yeah me either, that's why I was curious. As far as I know, before, kits are never really sold to devs; maybe leant out for an indefinite period of time, but always the property of Sony...
As long as whatever we get for the p4 is better than the p3 is I don't care, I just hate being dced from psn when all of my other wireless devices don't get dced.

ckohler

I wonder if the dev kits are that large because they need to be, or simply because they can be. For example, are they mostly empty inside for cooling or are they filled with hardware and that's the smallest they can make it.

Orayn

Looks like the devkit and consumer version both have the motherboard mounted at the top of the console.

I'd be shocked if the final retail PS4 didn't support 5GHz wifi, it's pretty much standard for any 'premium' wireless device these days. Plus wouldn't the PS4 need two antennae to stay connected to the internet whilst streaming to the vita?

aeolist

Banned
I'd be shocked if the final retail PS4 didn't support 5GHz wifi, it's pretty much standard for any 'premium' wireless device these days. Plus wouldn't the PS4 need two antennae to stay connected to the internet whilst streaming to the vita?

there's a ridiculous number of devices coming out these days that still only support wireless n on the 2.4ghz band

and really even the xbone is kind of a disappointment since it doesn't have MIMO

gcubed

why does it seem that the last few generations of consoles released on a wireless networking standard change? G -> N and now N -> AC

Oppo

I wonder if the dev kits are that large because they need to be, or simply because they can be. For example, are they mostly empty inside for cooling or are they filled with hardware and that's the smallest they can make it.

Oh I really doubt they are size optimized. I doubt those cases are even bespoke for PS4 devkits. They are just some rack mounted jobbies. Look at the optical slots on the front, they even had to block one.

boredandlazy said:
Well like I said - and I could be wrong - but having both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz antennas/radios in there is a big extra cost. You need 2.4Ghz for compatibility with B and G, so... yeah.

And to the Vita streaming question, I think it'll be like current Remote Play, which means that the PS4 will need to have a wired ethernet connection in order to use the Wifi for streaming. unless there is something clever going on where it can route that stuff in a special mode.

stryke

Sony can be a bit quirky. Vita doesn't even support WPA enterprise when most smartphones do.

And I'm still puzzled as to why they never bothered to upgrade the Wifi in PS3 to N.

And to the Vita streaming question, I think it'll be like current Remote Play, which means that the PS4 will need to have a wired ethernet connection in order to use the Wifi for streaming. unless there is something clever going on where it can route that stuff in a special mode.

The PS3 doesn't need a wired ethernet connection to use Remote Play. I use Remote Play every once in a while and I've never had my PS3 on a wired connection.

Top Bottom